Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/890657105228701696

Do it man, do it, kick that football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So, I keep thinking about the doom and gloom of the senate map for 2018 - the Dems are defending so many seats. But, the thing is, the reason they are defending so many is because those are seats that they won in 2012. Which means each Senate Democrat is sitting in a winnable seat - it was won literally the very last time it was contested. Dems in 2018 are likely to be energized, and demographic movement continues to favor the Democrats even if it didn't result in Auto-Prez-2016 like we assumed. Are the dems really in that much danger of losing senate seats in 2018? If Heller votes for this he's done (probably done anyways).

Is there any possibility of Collins or Murkowski switching parties?

I really want Dems to take control in 2018.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Maybe Ryan is doing this on purpose. After all, if the bill dies in the Senate it's not his fault.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

fsif posted:

Here's a novel loving idea: don't vote for a bill you think sucks poo poo.

But if don't Get huge tax cuts for my donors gently caress over the poor gently caress over the middle class, everyone will know we lied for the last 8 years, and Obama and democrats were actually passing the best bill they could despite everything our lying asses threw at them

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

evilweasel posted:

if they make any changes at all, it goes back to the Senate and the scam is up

Sure, but it's still the HFC. Hard to imagine they don't look to exact some sort of price for their cooperation.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

He has limited time to use reconciliation.

Which would then prompt him to say it's over, but that's not this week.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
What the gently caress does a Republican candidate even run on during the 2018 elections? (this is rhetorical - I know the answer and it's ugly)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

So, I keep thinking about the doom and gloom of the senate map for 2018 - the Dems are defending so many seats. But, the thing is, the reason they are defending so many is because those are seats that they won in 2012. Which means each Senate Democrat is sitting in a winnable seat - it was won literally the very last time it was contested. Dems in 2018 are likely to be energized, and demographic movement continues to favor the Democrats even if it didn't result in Auto-Prez-2016 like we assumed. Are the dems really in that much danger of losing senate seats in 2018? If Heller votes for this he's done (probably done anyways).

The real issue is that there's lots of vulnerable dem seats, and one vulnerable republican seat, and one "maybe if the stars align" more vulnerable republican seat. Even if they keep every seat - a tricky thing to do, but doable - they cannot retake the Senate without black swan-like events because there's just not enough vulnerable Republican seats.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

sharkbomb posted:

What the gently caress does a Republican candidate even run on during the 2018 elections? (this is rhetorical - I know the answer and it's ugly)

"we're republican and we love america, just like you"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rigel posted:

Reminder if some big important skinny repeal vote fails: it's not over until the turtle declares that it's over before retreating back into his shell.

When is the reconciliation deadline?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

What the gently caress does a Republican candidate even run on during an election? (this is rhetorical - I know the answer and it's ugly)

The government is dysfunctional! Elect me to get rid of it!

Then while in power they do a good job of making sure the government stays dysfunctional.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm really looking forward to shifting through the ashes for a copy of the book someone will write on the social psychology of what's going on with both Trump and Congress because it feels like there's some kind of massive self-psychosis/gaslighting operation going on. Folie a quarante-douze, if you will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

When is the reconciliation deadline?

probably September 30th but nobody seems 100% sure

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Nevada and Arizona really feel like the only states where the Dems have a chance to gain senators in 2018, I think, and there are more places they could lose them. Very unlikely that Collins or Murkowski change alliances.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Boyscouts apologized for the President hijacking the jamboree.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/boy-scouts-trump-apology/index.html

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I'm getting flashbacks of that bill to sue Saudia Arabia over 9/11. Everyone said it was dumb, Obama vetoed, they overrode it, and then said we didn't know it was dumb, so its your fault.

This is going to be our healthcare now.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hellblazer187 posted:

Only if trump goes totally apeshit on collins and she isnt defended at all. She might go "gently caress this, ill switch parties and run for governor after this term." I don't think murkowski switches.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Nevada and Arizona really feel like the only states where the Dems have a chance to gain senators in 2018, I think, and there are more places they could lose them. Very unlikely that Collins or Murkowski change alliances.

O'Rourke seems off to a nice start in Texas.

Though I remember when Wendy Davis was going to be governor.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

:getin:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

yeah best (reasonable) case scenario is winning Nevada and holding all seats, the dream is taking Arizona - which is not all that reasonable but not crazy, meaning they're down 49-51 or 50-51

to actually take the Senate you'd need to defeat Cruz or maybe Corker, neither of which is happening

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

"we're republican and we love america, just like you"

Sadly probably enough for America's beloved grand old party. Just blame the Democrats likw always if poo poo goes bad

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

yeah best (reasonable) case scenario is winning Nevada and holding all seats, the dream is taking Arizona - which is not all that reasonable but not crazy, meaning they're down 49-51 or 50-51

to actually take the Senate you'd need to defeat Cruz or maybe Corker, neither of which is happening

If McCain has to resign then there's another seat available in Arizona....

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Not till the end of his term, I thought. Governor appoints someone to take his seat for the remainder.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kale posted:

Sadly probably enough for America's beloved grand old party. Just blame the Democrats likw always if poo poo goes bad

People blame the guys in power.

It's why if Hillary had won there would have been a devastating 2018. Instead it goes the other way.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

He's not gonna resign, buuuuut that might not be necessary

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

this ride sucks I want to get off

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/890659791663759365

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

very bad news, though somewhat expected:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/890660114088116225

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/890658214408101889

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It'd be pretty insane if they held every seat and got both Nevada seats and got two Arizona seats, though. That's like beyond the stars aligning, it's a crack in the universe opening up and a more sane timeline leaking into ours.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/890660372796932096

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not till the end of his term, I thought. Governor appoints someone to take his seat for the remainder.

The way it works is: governor appoints someone to fill the seat until the next general election (2018). Then whoever wins that holds the seat for the remainder of McCain's term (until 2022).

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

evilweasel posted:

The real issue is that there's lots of vulnerable dem seats, and one vulnerable republican seat, and one "maybe if the stars align" more vulnerable republican seat. Even if they keep every seat - a tricky thing to do, but doable - they cannot retake the Senate without black swan-like events because there's just not enough vulnerable Republican seats.

Agree with this, but given that we're living the greatest black swan event of our lifetimes, I think it's worth factoring that the odds of subsequent black swan events are more plausible than usual.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Temporary appointment until the next State-wide election.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

It'd be pretty insane if they held every seat and got both Nevada seats and got two Arizona seats, though. That's like beyond the stars aligning, it's a crack in the universe opening up and a more sane timeline leaking into ours.

That's only because you are contemplating the sane path to victory. There is a way Democrats win those seats that fits our timeline perfectly you just have to be as insane as this universe to see it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What in the gently caress is this poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Governor appoints someone until the next election in 2018, then the person who is elected only gets to serve until McCain's term is up, at which point there's another election.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Delthalaz posted:

Somehow Werner Herzog quotes about animals also apply to Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Werner hates chickens. (lol those quotes :( so angry... )

Look at those frigid German poultryloathing eyes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

The way it works is: governor appoints someone to fill the seat until the next general election (2018). Then whoever wins that holds the seat for the remainder of McCain's term (until 2022).

Ah, thanks.

https://twitter.com/alweaver22/status/890658662141747200

Vote no you worthless poo poo

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Harrow posted:

What in the gently caress is this poo poo

It's a quote from Trump, not about Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sandeep posted:

Sequestration was supposed to be a poison pill and it ended up not working out that way. I don't think anyone in congress feels confident about passing a bill with a poison pill and counting on that to force later legislation.

If you put a tax hike in there that would be sufficient to ensure the House goes to conference to remove it. Something like eliminating the deductibility of employer health care contributions or boosting the Medicare tax cap.

But then every GOP member in the senate would be on record as voting for a tax hike.

• Locked thread