Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There used to be a plugin for Kodi back when it was XBMC that would fake a cable network and make channels based on your collection. So you'd get a lineup of Fox programs, one of NBC etc and any other smart playlists you could build. It was in its infancy and had issues, but it was kinda neat. Might still exist but I moved to Plex a bunch of years back and the plugins system isn't as good as Kodi's.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I wish the Netflix interface was smarter or at least had more options. I hate that it autoplays the next episode or starts the next one whilst your still in the menu. Also I wish it showed episode length somewhere more visible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PriorMarcus posted:

I wish the Netflix interface was smarter or at least had more options. I hate that it autoplays the next episode or starts the next one whilst your still in the menu. Also I wish it showed episode length somewhere more visible.

I've been saying this for years, but I wish Netflix had a "just play something" option that would just play something at random from their catalog

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Simpsons World is available in the browser. There's commercials, but in a limited Hulu way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man why am I dreading watching the Stella series of episodes I don't remember a single thing about them except Sarah Chalke's massive rack and the actually pretty funny sequence where Ted discovers that Robin slept with Barney

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know Scrubs talk was one page back but I just wanna say its biggest issue is JD and Cox's character arcs. In the first few seasons JD is a pretty likeable dude and Dr. Cox is a comical but mostly believable tough love character, but by the end of it JD is like a caricature of a human being everyone treats like poo poo (and deservedly so) and Cox is so invested in bullying him that their relationship is just pitiable and not funny or heartwarming anymore.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I know Scrubs talk was one page back but I just wanna say its biggest issue is JD and Cox's character arcs. In the first few seasons JD is a pretty likeable dude and Dr. Cox is a comical but mostly believable tough love character, but by the end of it JD is like a caricature of a human being everyone treats like poo poo (and deservedly so) and Cox is so invested in bullying him that their relationship is just pitiable and not funny or heartwarming anymore.

Cox actually doesn't get that bad until Scrubs: The College Years where he is awful and horrible in every aspect

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I think it's also because they have NOTHING for Robin to do partway through season 3. She's just there while literally everyone else is involved in the plot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been saying this for years, but I wish Netflix had a "just play something" option that would just play something at random from their catalog

Dear god yes

Would be fantastic for stoners

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
HIMYM is only worth watching if you sub in the edited ending that cuts away after they meet for the first time. That one is pretty much perfect and I will never understand why they went with the horrible series-ruining version instead.

I loved Scrubs when I watched it originally and it has some very powerful moments, but I went back to rewatch it recently and man oh man does it ever feel dated. I watched Friends through at about the same time and I didn't find it to have the same problem.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 27, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I enjoyed Friends more when I returned to it as an adult. Something about being the same age as the cast, rather than when I watched it with my family growing up.

It's a good show, damnit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

misguided rage posted:

HIMYM is only worth watching if you sub in the edited ending that cuts away after they meet for the first time. That one is pretty much perfect and I will never understand why they went with the horrible series-ruining version instead.

I loved Scrubs when I watched it originally and it has some very powerful moments, but I went back to rewatch it recently and man oh man does it ever feel dated. I watched Friends through at about the same time and I didn't find it to have the same problem.

As far as I remember pretty much not a single big problem from Friends could be solved with a cellphone so that helps keep it relatively timeless
Scrubs becomes very schmaltzy and formulaic and the subplots ran for way too long some times, and all the characters become the ur examples of making a caricature out of their personalities

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite 90s sitcom, for a long time, was The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Calaveron posted:

As far as I remember pretty much not a single big problem from Friends could be solved with a cellphone so that helps keep it relatively timeless
Scrubs becomes very schmaltzy and formulaic and the subplots ran for way too long some times, and all the characters become the ur examples of making a caricature out of their personalities

Scrubs should stay similarly timeless as everyone still uses pagers and most hospitals use of technology is glacial.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scrubs, Seinfeld, Cheers, and a sitcom that is no longer watchable in retrospect were my favorite sitcoms of all time. I managed to somehow miss all but an episode or two of Friends so I have no reverence for that show though I am keenly aware of how massive it is and the the rabid following it has. MASH I would probably put up there as well as I've seen a lot of it and loved what I've seen but I've never actually taken the time to sit down and watch it all beginning to end. I suspect I will someday but I haven't gotten around to it. Of all the great sitcoms in the last decade or so I'd say the only two that I think can hang with my favorites are probably Curb and Veep. They're the only ones where I feel like I'm watching something on that level.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, uh, this is a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkZCOUIBLeQ

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wheat Loaf posted:

How come he don't want me man?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fresh Prince was real good, but I'd put that on the tier right below my absolute favorites where I put other stuff like Roseanne or Parks and Rec or Wonder Years.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This could be really good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new name is a little generic but I guess the world isn't ready for a show called "Iron Fisting."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watched a few episodes of Ozark, and yeah don't sleep on this, it's really good. Maybe not as directorially strong as its peers, but the writing makes up for it. At least so far it seems to be about crawling out of the sewer rather than digging yourself in deeper like Breaking Bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Scrubs, Seinfeld, Cheers, and a sitcom that is no longer watchable in retrospect were my favorite sitcoms of all time.

Is it Wings? It was Wings wasn't it?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fresh Prince was a really excellent show when it wanted to be. And even when it didn't it was good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still kind of choke up at "Why don't he want me?"

You're an rear end in a top hat, Ben Vereen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IRQ posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Cosby Show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Drew Carey Show, Boy Meets World, Two Guys and a Girl, Scrubs, Frasier, That 70s Show, Newsradio, Grounded for Life, and Titus were all the classic sitcoms I really liked. I'd add Becker to that list but I've a feeling it really doesn't hold up.

Then you had poo poo like Mad About You, Just Shoot Me, Grace Under Fire, Will and Grace, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Dharma and Greg, Cheers* etc. that I'd watch if nothing else was on.

Shows I'd actively avoid were Sabrina the Teenage Witch, The Nanny, Friends, Two and a Half Men, Family Matters (since they only aired the later seasons), Full House, Home Improvement, King of Queens, According to Jim, Everybody loves Raymond, and a bunch of poo poo I honestly forget the title of. I also never liked Seinfeld but I've accepted that that's either a cultural barrier or a me being insane thing.

I'm not including stuff like Community or Parks and Rec because I think that's really a different beast than the classic sitcom. Scrubs is borderline too since they have much more camera work than your average 3-camera setup, but I'm gonna include it in the classic stuff anyway because of sheer age. And obviously there were great animated sitcoms that I'm also leaving off.

*No diss on Cheers, I think I'm just too young to connect with its humor and pop culture references.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
3rd Rock's fantastic, watch it all

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

It sucks that Bill Cosby somehow managed to abuse all her childhoods in retrospect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Nah, that's the third tier which I consider to be sitcoms I love but maybe aren't as remembered and loved by many others. With shows like Coach, Murphy Brown, or Doogie Howser.

bull3964 posted:

That would be the one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Regular PSA that for anyone with fond memories of the 90s sitcoms, that The Carmichael Show is the best 00s+ multicam sitcom made and certainly hangs with them while being modern and relevant.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OK, I'm all in on this one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

That seems obvious in retrospect. I think I barely missed the cosby show being something I had any particular reverence for by like a year or two. I do remember it, but I was 9 when it went off the air and I never really saw it in syndication

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

I started watching The Simpsons season 4 for that lately. I haven't watched these in years and it's amazing that I can watch Marge vs The Monorail for the first time in probably 4 years and laugh my rear end off.

Simpsons is great because the commentary is legitimately fantastic both in behind-the-scenes info and explaining all the jokes and references you missed. Also the Simpsons fandom is so nerdy that you can vicariously watch it at work through any of the many, many podcasts dedicated to the show; Talking Simpsons is the one I've stuck with the longest because it has tons of audio from each episodes and the hosts do a good job balancing trivia and history with their own goofs and experiences related to the show.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like it a lot because it actually uses its live studio audience. Shows like Big Bang Theory are done live but do so little with it that a lot of people think they're just using canned laughter, in Fresh Prince having actors go running into the audience or particular audience members losing their poo poo just adds so much.

Seinfeld was a good happy medium where people going nuts every time Kramer showed up got annoying but I don't think the puffy shirt episode would be quite as legendary without that one woman in the crowd loudly shrieking "oh my god!" when they show him in the shirt for the first time.

IRQ posted:

I was thinking WKRP in Cincinnati due to the music licensing issues of a show set in a radio station.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Seinfeld was a good happy medium where people going nuts every time Kramer showed up got annoying but I don't think the puffy shirt episode would be quite as legendary without that one woman in the crowd loudly shrieking "oh my god!" when they show him in the shirt for the first time.

I seem to recall the Kramer clapping got so bad that Larry David had to go out before the show and tell the audience to please keep it quiet, so it stopped eventually.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

That seems obvious in retrospect. I think I barely missed the cosby show being something I had any particular reverence for by like a year or two. I do remember it, but I was 9 when it went off the air and I never really saw it in syndication

Bill Cosby's Himself was legitimately one of the greatest standup specials ever made and had aged fantastically. It was also completely clean which meant it was a staple of my high school health class since it technically had a routine about drugs and alcohol.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Bill Cosby's Himself was legitimately one of the greatest standup specials ever made and had aged fantastically. It was also completely clean which meant it was a staple of my high school health class since it technically had a routine about drugs and alcohol.

Fairly sure he uses the word "rear end in a top hat" at least once in it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its hard to really quantify how much Bill Cosby was a part of my childhood between the Cosby Show, Himself, Fat Albert, Electric Company, Meteor Man, A Different World, and probably other poo poo I'm forgetting. I mean, I have lasting memories of Ghost Dad.

Reality's really scarred poo poo up bad there if you're the right age/demo/whatever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In general, I wasn't much into American comedies. I liked the aforementioned Fresh Prince, I liked the Simpsons, and I was quite keen on Friends for a while (I'd say when I was maybe 14 or 15). What I liked the most as a teenager was old BBC sitcoms. I was big into Dad's Army and Fawlty Towers.

Don't really watch any comedies these days. I think the last I watched would have been The Thick of It.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Guy Mann posted:

I remember turning on the tail end of Himself and watching Cosby just go on a loving roll in a way that I'd never seen any other comic pull off. Still struggle to think of any stand up that did something similar.

gently caress him for what he did, though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

STAC Goat posted:

Reality's really scarred poo poo up bad there if you're the right age/demo/whatever.

I was reading that oral history of Good Burger yesterday; I get to this part

quote:

Kenan Thompson: Sinbad was an icon and had been on the show a few times. Back then, Sinbad was [Bill] Cosby’s first underling so it was a big deal. Cosby put that stamp on him like this guy’s the next whatever.

And thought "Oh, no, do we need to start worrying about dirt on Sinbad being brought to light in a few years?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is that actually Joseph Gordon-Levitt? My brain is having trouble parsing it but not enough to say "that's not him and it's part of the joke".

• Locked thread