Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might need a bit of welding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Katori still in a combat task force.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Why is a ship wiht a max speed of 18 knots in a task force with a ship that can make 30 knots? Or in a forward base as opposed to doing ASW duties?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wedgekree posted:

... Why is a ship wiht a max speed of 18 knots in a task force with a ship that can make 30 knots? Or in a forward base as opposed to doing ASW duties?

At this point?

Tradition.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

wedgekree posted:

It's been attached for pretty much the entire war now, I think it's to throw the enemy intel off...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It's the symbolic value that counts!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Night10194 posted:

At this point?

Tradition.

General orders.

An IJA General ordered it to hinder the IJN.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

In the navy, every ship is equal.
In fact they are one and the same, one in all and all in one.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Live combat training is the best training.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

wedgekree posted:

Why do goons keep asking this question in a Grey Hunter thread of all places???

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Why do goons keep asking this question in a Grey Hunter thread of all places???

Because we keep asking, and it keeps happening.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

professor_curly posted:

Because we keep asking, and it keeps happening.

I am beginning to think he keeps doing it just to mess with us.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
He's giving the computer all the reasonable handcaps he can seeing as how badly he's poo poo stomping it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Jesenjin posted:

I am beginning to think he keeps doing it just to mess with us.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We get another tanker kill! That's always nice.

Their bombers come in on us and hit the airfield rather than supporting their three troops.

Their bombers hit out airfield again, and we lose a plane.

We lose several planes in a large fight. Normally we come out on top in these things.

The second wave comes in, and we come out evens.

This time we get the Chinese to retreat.

We lost a lot of planes today, but at least we got some kills to match it.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

27 July 1943

Japanese minelayer Hirashima, torpedoed west of Kyushu by USS Sawfish.
Japanese destroyers Ariake and Mikazuki, stranded on a reef near Cape Gloucester in New Britain and subsequently destroyed by aircraft.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

One could say that this was an openly evil day for the Japanese on the 27th.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Jew it to it! posted:

One could say that this was an openly evil day for the Japanese on the 27th.

It's going to get so much worse...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We drive off an enemy sub. I would have preferred sunk. But I'll take what I can get.

The Kiddo Butai's fighters have a grand old time against the Liberators. This must be our best score against them for the entire war.

The I-27 misses with two torpedoes and then takes a couple of hits herself.

Liberators visit Buna.

We nearly have reinforcements in Noumea. Then I may try another attack. It will be interesting to see what another 50,000 men and 1700 AV can do.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
This is Noumea:

Or a more historical photograph, circa 1943:

Just before WW2, the entire island of New Caledonia had a population of 53000.

Cramming 50000 men into attacking a city on a peninsula is, uh, interesting. Fifty thousand men is more than the entire force that took Singapore.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
First KIAFeng, now NOOSEMea

Just bypass the drat island!

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Ok, it was pretty funny to see the Ariake in the first image the day after posting about her grounding and ultimate destruction.

e: Sinkings return on the fourth, when we will take a trip back to the Med.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheDemon posted:

Cramming 50000 men into attacking a city on a peninsula is, uh, interesting. Fifty thousand men is more than the entire force that took Singapore.

Grey didn't say 50,000 men attacking Noumea. He said 50,000 more men. How many did he already have there?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I remember one WW2 game where the Allies had a million and a half men over in Gibraltar, but it was (I think) hearts of iron 2.. There's still a ways to go here!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The carriers lose a couple of aircraft to Liberator gunners.

We somehow get an accurate report from an unmanned island the Allies decide to invade.

A few days of bombardment here and I'll try an attack.

Our troops grind a little closer to Sian. I'm mainly tidying up the map here now.

Right, time to see if I can soften up Noumea.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Christ, they must be in each other's pockets.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Would it be worth it to sortie the Battleships for shore bombardment at Noumea for a couple of days? Or that too far into Allied air cover?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

wedgekree posted:

Would it be worth it to sortie the Battleships for shore bombardment at Noumea for a couple of days? Or that too far into Allied air cover?

You're just asking to get them all exploded. There's a few that have already been heavily damaged from being too far south at the wrong time.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

You're just asking to get them all exploded. There's a few that have already been heavily damaged from being too far south at the wrong time.
Oil is low plus the American carriers are back roaming the seas.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The impression I have (from other WitP LPs) is that you want to bombard for like a couple months, not "a few days," to really have the intended effect?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Effective bombardment relies on surprise and repeated visits. The Japanese apparently had the right idea in trying to bombard Henderson Field because you can win entire campaigns with such a thing as either Japanese or American if you catch the big enemy airfields off-guard. Shore bombardment itself is less effective and is mostly about suppressing the guns, but also depends on terrain and fortification, much like artillery does.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
With regards to suppressing airfields, even a single mission can do a lot of damage to airfields and airframes, but you do need to keep coming back to get the airfield to stay dead. As TheDemon said, the problem with the IJN's attempt to keep Henderson Field down was that they couldn't keep coming back, and they couldn't seal the deal with a land-based attack, either.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I don't have any military experience, so I've always been a bit confused about a couple things:

Why is having giant guns blow everything up always less effective than people think it will be? Same with blowing up entire cities by air

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

The funny thing is games usually show giant guns blowing everything up as far more effective than they seemed to be in real life. Like, in WitP, your battleships are a very useful asset for halting enemy operations in their tracks if used perfectly.

I think the ability to prevent the giant guns or massive flying bomb trucks from applying themselves to the correct targets was more important than anything else in curtailing their effectiveness. Also strategic bombing was hilariously inaccurate, to the point where hitting the correct city was difficult.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Specifically for the topic of shore bombardment, it's not as effective as people might have otherwise hoped because of:

* the economy of the mission - it costs a lot in terms of materiel and gas and effort to get battleships from a correctly-sized port, to the target area. It costs even more to do this multiple times

* opposition - the battleships have to get there, and they're going to get attacked on their way there, which means you run into the other problem of your ships getting bombed and torpedoed en-route

With regards to strategic bombing, military planners overestimated a lot of stuff:

* they thought the bombers would be a lot more accurate
* they thought defensive fire from the bombers would be a lot more effective
* they thought it would have been easy to pinpoint critical sectors of a country's industrial base, and dismantle it (which is also related to bombing supposedly being accurate enough that you can destroy specific sites)
* and then even when they switched to just bombing civilians outright, they thought that the "morale" effect of bombing would cause people to surrender, which didn't happen either

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I don't have any military experience, so I've always been a bit confused about a couple things:

Why is having giant guns blow everything up always less effective than people think it will be? Same with blowing up entire cities by air

I think it's a pure numbers thing. If you are well dug in, a shell/bomb has to hit directly to kill you. There are too many square miles and not enough explosive.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Things like a foxhole, a foot or two of cement, or even just laying down to minimize the area that shrapnel/debris/pressure waves can hit are almost bullshit levels of effective in keeping humans alive through bombardments. An artillery shell or bomb landing on your head will vaporize you, yeah, but even near misses can be survived (with ruptured eardrums and a concussion) with the barest of cover.

TL;DR Human bodies are actually really hard to break

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Because shore bombardment will most likely rely on hammering one area over a long period of time and, unless you have numbers, won't be very effective. Factor in that, during WW2, it was entirely possible to miss your target completely either because of lack of training or non-existent/ineffective spotting.

As for blowing up entire cities by air, look at Stalingrad. They blew the gently caress out of, what, 80% of the entire city? All that rubble did was aid in concealment when anyone tried to attack anywhere. Turning the entire landscape into a featureless wasteland also makes future air support impossible without really good coordination and identification.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The SSI-1 messes up a torpedo attack then pays for it – fires on a submerged vessel are not what you want to see!

I think the Allies got an upgrade on the ASW tech.

Flak brings down a Dauntless.

What the hell! Were you targeting our troops? I get that the Allies have almost as many guns as we do but this is insane!

I have nothing to say about that bombardment beyond heads have rolled and we will continue for a few days.

At least we confirm a tanker to make me feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Another problem with strategic bombardment of factories and shipyards is that things like machine tools are relatively tough; a little shrapnel, or concussion, or sometimes even fire isnt enough to necessarily destroy them. I think I read once that when one of the German airframe factories was bombed what really hurt them was the loss of their jigs - simple metal and wood frames that were custom built for dozens of different tasks in the factory - to hold certain airframe parts so you could add rivets, run wires, or join them together properly etc.