Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm so glad I broke and got the Pixel 1 128gb (non xl) two months ago how that I'm learning that the Pixel 2 is being manufactured by Life's Good™ LLC (maker of $79 VCRs in 1983) and without a loving headphone jack and a new cool camera bump.

I usually massively regret buying something before the new iteration is announced. Not this time, Goldstar!

Wait what, is this confirmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Wait what, is this confirmed?

I don't know, I just saw an article on it this morning. Maybe just rumor but like five different leaks showed the headphone jack removed on the smaller one (the only one I'd want).

This isn't the same thing as removing the DVD drive from laptops and it aggravates me any time someone says it is.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

docbeard posted:

Like, there's no actual reason to believe that future LG-branded phones will have the bootloop issue either.

Just to reiterate for people that don't realize, it's been happening to their flagship phones for three or four years now, even their Nexus phones where Google controls software.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm wondering if my 5x never boot looped because I manually flashed my updates?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I'm sure I recall people reflowing the solder on LG phones to fix bootloops. Their manufacturing is suspect.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maybe loving wait until the phone is out or even announced before passing judgement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RVProfootballer posted:

Just to reiterate for people that don't realize, it's been happening to their flagship phones for three or four years now, even their Nexus phones where Google controls software.

However, Google didn't exert as much control over the hardware in the Nexus days are are well aware of the current issues.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I want to hear Google announce that the Pixel 3 will be made by OnePlus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

monster on a stick posted:

I want to hear Google announce that the Pixel 3 will be made by OnePlus.

You won't because they aren't an ODM.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How do I keep my contact's pictures up to date? I believe at one point it synced with their google account photos but they are very old now (the best are married guys with ex girlfriend pictures). This is all on a Nexus 6P running latest stock android.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Maybe loving wait until the phone is out or even announced before passing judgement.

No, I already bought my Pixel and want to be reassured right now

Speaking of which, where can I get the screen replaced where I'm guaranteed the replacement will be OLED?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

God dammit, just read that the Pixel 3 will be made by OnePlus. It's going to suck.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Speaking of which, where can I get the screen replaced where I'm guaranteed the replacement will be OLED?

Google.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

They don't do them. It looks like they recommend a company called ubreakjfix but they say it's an LCD replacement.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

The mail thing happens when you have multiple unread messages. The notification was "You have 2 unread messages" then you archive/delete one and now there's a new state and thus a new notification "You have 1 unread message"

Happens in Chrome as well.

So there's no way to turn it off? I only want to be notified of new emails, not all changes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ola posted:

God dammit, just read that the Pixel 3 will be made by OnePlus. It's going to suck.

You can't say that yet. You have to wait for the phone to come out and for everyone to get bootloops or the screen displayed upside down or whatever before saying the phone is going to suck.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

They don't do them. It looks like they recommend a company called ubreakjfix but they say it's an LCD replacement.

I would assume it would have to be the same panel due to the driver circuitry

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
If the leaks are to be believed, the Pixel 2 looks unmistakably like an LG G6 just like the original Pixel was unmistakably HTC, no matter who tries to downplay the OEM' s involvement in the process. Assuming LG phones will still bootloop is a little premature though, I can't imagine a company with LG's resources wouldn't take steps to resolve the problem; especially since LG is facing multiple class action lawsuits over the same thing. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

just like the original Pixel was unmistakably HTC,

What?! On first glance it looks almost like an iPhone if anything, minus the home button.

e: also what? LG G6 vs Pixel 2 XL render leak

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 27, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To be honest all phones pretty much look the same to me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Dodoman posted:

My Z3 compact used apt-x, so does my op5. :confused:
Oh really? I guess they paid the license fees for it. However, given that I'm intending to get a Pixel XL 2, it's still questionable whether Google will do so, too.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

What?! On first glance it looks almost like an iPhone if anything, minus the home button.

e: also what? LG G6 vs Pixel 2 XL render leak

Yeah the HTC I'm referring to was also a blatant iPhone ripoff, I forget the name since it's an HTC and all but it's pretty much identical to the Pixel for the most part.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

That's because 99% of them are only majorly different on the back, which is covered by a case.

Phones are just black rectangles, sometimes with slightly different colors around it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

If the leaks are to be believed, the Pixel 2 looks unmistakably like an LG G6 just like the original Pixel was unmistakably HTC, no matter who tries to downplay the OEM' s involvement in the process. Assuming LG phones will still bootloop is a little premature though, I can't imagine a company with LG's resources wouldn't take steps to resolve the problem; especially since LG is facing multiple class action lawsuits over the same thing. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

And yet the Pixel was so much better than any HTC device up to that point.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tremors posted:

I've had a 6P since launch and some time ago it started killing itself at 40%, 30% or 15%. I finally contacted play store support about it and they shipped me an out of warranty replacement. Today was my first day with it and it just died at 15%. Should I bother having them send me another or is this just something all of these phones will do?

Mine was supported by the retailer rather than Google so they actually had the battery replaced with a new one (along with the screen and casing for some reason but the IMEI is the same so pretty sure it’s the same phone)

I switched to an iPhone while it was being repaired but my mum has been using it for a while with any shutdowns so so far so good. Not that I necessarily trust it long term but hopefully it’s okay for a while yet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

docbeard posted:

Not from this distance your honor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ubreakifix is Google's official partner for repair services and they have OEM parts and OEM training to repair Pixels.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
LCD just means display in this context, it’s not like a random backlit screen will fit anyway.

The notes that came back with my N6P say ‘LCD Assembly Huawei Nexus 6P’ and it’s definitely an original screen.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh really? I guess they paid the license fees for it. However, given that I'm intending to get a Pixel XL 2, it's still questionable whether Google will do so, too.

I saw some story in the last few weeks about Google adding apt-x to O. That'd be nice for sure.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Ubreakifix is Google's official partner for repair services and they have OEM parts and OEM training to repair Pixels.

Awesome. Thank you!

dissss posted:

LCD just means display in this context, it’s not like a random backlit screen will fit anyway.

Serious question then: any Google Pixel replacement screen on eBay no matter how cheap is going to be OLED?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

hooah posted:

I saw some story in the last few weeks about Google adding apt-x to O. That'd be nice for sure.
Yea, you're right. Thank God. Now off to find a bunch of decent BT headphones.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/13/google-confirms-aptx-bluetooth-streaming-wont-work-nexus-6p-5x/

--edit:
Ugh, a lot of the non-Chinese crap ones have this collar thingy. FFS.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 28, 2017

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I used a meeaudio matrix2 which was pretty good and relatively compact. The matrix3 is out too and has more features and better build quality.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.essential.com/blog/engineering-the-essential-camera

Essential did a nice little writeup on the dual camera sensor. The results are finally starting to look pretty drat good (there's even an example of the iterations they went though.)

Still mostly lost interest in this device, but they really should be doing stuff like this to give people a taste of the phone while they wait instead of being mostly silent.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just flashed the apt-x codex onto my Axon 7 and it works like a charm.

Still you'll never beat the headphone jack or USB out.

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 28, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

How do I keep my contact's pictures up to date? I believe at one point it synced with their google account photos but they are very old now (the best are married guys with ex girlfriend pictures). This is all on a Nexus 6P running latest stock android.

As far as I know it's tied directly to their Google account photo and nothing more. It's been stripped out of G+ and everyone for me just shows up. This is on a Pixel XL.

hooah posted:

So there's no way to turn it off? I only want to be notified of new emails, not all changes.

It's just the way it is and I'd argue it's the way it should be. There's no way for GMail to know if you're going to be making more changes when you read an email. Maybe notification channels in O will help but I'd doubt it.

There's not really a way around it even if you keep an empty inbox because some things like registrations generate a bunch of emails all at once. You could mark them all as read at the same time (in GMail on Chrome at least) then act on them all at once but that's the best you can do.

Personally I just read them one by one (since I don't want unread archived email either) and archive them as I go. I get a notification each time but once I read 0 unread email in my inbox that last notification disappears on its own.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a Pixel and a pair of AYL QY8 bluetooth earphones. I sometimes have problems with playing music over the 'phones; I'll turn them on and they'll say they're connected (and the phone agrees), but when I hit play on Google Play Music, sound comes out of the phone's speakers. Eventually turning the earphones off and on a few times will fix it, but that's obviously a lovely workaround. Should I blame the phone or AYL?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I have a Pixel and a pair of AYL QY8 bluetooth earphones. I sometimes have problems with playing music over the 'phones; I'll turn them on and they'll say they're connected (and the phone agrees), but when I hit play on Google Play Music, sound comes out of the phone's speakers. Eventually turning the earphones off and on a few times will fix it, but that's obviously a lovely workaround. Should I blame the phone or AYL?

I have those and they are the cheapest, shittiest pieces of poo poo I've ever used. Straight up Engrish all over the box, sound horrible, work worse, and cost like $20. Not that I don't believe Google could gently caress up anything but come on, it's not the phone this time.

If you want another pair that's only ever been out of the box once, I'll ship them to you for shipping costs.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been more than impressed with the sound quality/battery life of the Sol Republic Shadows I bought a year ago. They're also incredibly robust. A month ago they went through an hour long cycle in a front load washing machine by accident and came out working perfectly fine (and really clean). Even had they died, I'd probably buy another pair. Just food for thought if you suddenly find yourself with a phone lacking a headphone jack.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've been more than impressed with the sound quality/battery life of the Sol Republic Shadows I bought a year ago. They're also incredibly robust. A month ago they went through an hour long cycle in a front load washing machine by accident and came out working perfectly fine (and really clean). Even had they died, I'd probably buy another pair. Just food for thought if you suddenly find yourself with a phone lacking a headphone jack.

I'll pipe up with an alternative recommendation for the LG Tone+ line of headphones. Can't say I ever washed mine but they are reportedly well-sealed against water intrusion. Sound quality was fantastic and I never had any issue with pairing/connecting. It was always "power on, battery high/medium, connected" without fail. Sound was well balanced, I guess? Harman-Kardon was on board for what that's worth.

Not to try comparing the two or anything, just throwing my two cents into the ring as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

To be honest, seeing that LG Tone+ and that Sol Rep. Shadows, I'm surprised people made fun a while ago of these weird-rear end Sony ones with the big rear end case behind the ears. How is that worse than this neck thing?