Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So I want to hack an old Wii, do I just get ModMii here, run it and follow the steps? The OP's link to the ModMii site seems to be down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For hacking a regular Wii use Letterbomb: https://please.hackmii.com/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Remind me, homebrew thread: what do I have to do to access the eShop without updating my firmware? I installed the "hold a button at startup" homebrew launcher on my old 3DS a year or so ago but never went any further, and now I hear they're banning hacked systems from accessing the eShop? Someone explain this poo poo, please.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
oh man you are way out of date.

follow https://3ds.guide from the start to install bootstrap9, which gives you way more than menuhax ever could or will. Then, you can update your firmware and never lose your homebrew or hacked titles.

Also no one has ever been banned from the eshop, some folks (seemingly randomly) have been banned from playing games online (so Mario Kart, Pokemon).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's not in nintendos best interests to ban you from potentially spending money with them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

They don't ban you from the eShop but unless you have the latest firmware you usually can't access it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

irlZaphod posted:

They don't ban you from the eShop but unless you have the latest firmware you usually can't access it.

If you're on 11.2 or earlier, you can use ctrhttpwn to access it.

You don't need to be updated to play games online, Luma blocks that version check.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Wii U update dropped. It blocks the web browser exploit. It DOES NOT fix the kernel or iosu exploits from what I've read. If you have a working Haxchi install or cbhc install they should still work but I haven't tried it on my Wii u yet.

Things that I haven't seen checked: Rednand installs update or does that brick them? Does haxchi and cbhc's "version 99.99.99 stop the update?

No other primary exploit exists so if you don't have Haxchi installed do not update.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

A Wii U update? What? :psyduck:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I know right?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

It needed more stability.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

A bootstrap9 hacked 3ds is safe to do a format system memory to, correct?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it too late to install Haxchi? I am on 5.5.1 still and was able to install the Homebrew Channel launcher and put in the blocker for the updates, but I have no DS game purchased on my system yet and the eshop is now giving me a 'server down for maintenance' error each time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Rirse posted:

Is it too late to install Haxchi? I am on 5.5.1 still and was able to install the Homebrew Channel launcher and put in the blocker for the updates, but I have no DS game purchased on my system yet and the eshop is now giving me a 'server down for maintenance' error each time.

There should be a way to launch the eshop via NNUPatcher or something, edit: though I'm not sure if the blocker also blocks the eShop.

edit 2: you should also be able to spoof yourself onto 5.5.2 via a version change which should avoid the update.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

So. Probably wanna download the wii u Crunchyroll app if you are on 5.5.2 and don't have Haxchi setup.

Seems like it is exploitable. Nothing released yet though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Download Crunchyroll anyway, and watch all the Anime.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

havenwaters posted:

So. Probably wanna download the wii u Crunchyroll app if you are on 5.5.2 and don't have Haxchi setup.

Seems like it is exploitable. Nothing released yet though.

I'm now in the habit of downloading every single free app ever made on the Switch

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm now in the habit of downloading every single free app ever made on the Switch

Is there anything free on the Switch eShop? Even demos seem to be in short supply.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Seems the Switch boot procedure has been documented, and it uses fuses in the CPU chip as downgrade protection. (On boot, the firmware checks if there are more fuses blown than there should be, and if there are, it panics.)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Is there something I can read somewhere about security fuses because they sound really interesting. Googling "lockout fuse" or "security fuse" doesn't get much beyond people wanting to disable chips in some cars and somebody wanting to know if there's a way to reprogram a chip when they've blown. (I'm not expecting anything Switch related specifically)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Dr. Dos posted:

Is there something I can read somewhere about security fuses because they sound really interesting. Googling "lockout fuse" or "security fuse" doesn't get much beyond people wanting to disable chips in some cars and somebody wanting to know if there's a way to reprogram a chip when they've blown. (I'm not expecting anything Switch related specifically)

You're looking for 'eFuse' or similar. They're basically just normal-ish fuses, but integrated inside a packaged chip. The Tegra technical reference manual has information on exactly what's there, though it's possible the X1 in the Switch is slightly custom. Someone on reddit said there are 256 bits of fuse available. Since fuses can't be unset once burned, there are only 256 uses rather than an actual 256 bit number.

Sometimes old PROMs and EEPROMs had protection eFuses that would eliminate the ability to read data from the ROM chip once written and verified, this was frequently used in arcade machines to prevent cloning; a custom CPU could have its boot code written at manufacture time and then made unreadable later. Lately the Caps0ff project has been decapping these MCUs, masking off the programmable data so it won't be erased, then using high-intensity UV to unset the efuses: http://caps0ff.blogspot.com/2017/01/conquering-pic16c57-234-241-242.html

Reference for how they are used on an Xbox 360: https://free60.org/wiki/Fusesets

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What are the chances of us seeing Switch flash carts?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

What are the chances of us seeing Switch flash carts?

I would guess not likely since the 3DS barely got a single one and it was janky as hell and you had to press a literal physical button to switch games

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I would guess not likely since the 3DS barely got a single one and it was janky as hell and you had to press a literal physical button to switch games

I do have to question whether or not that wasn't, in large part, due to how trivial hacking the system and subsequent piracy became.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also isn't a big part of the problem that all 3DS cart games have unique ID's or some such, almost like the CD Keys of the early 2000's, such that specific ID's could be flagged as compromised (because it's in pirate ROM's online) and multiple people online with the same ID could get nailed? I know there's a lot of weird nuance to it so I could be wrong.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Iron Rose posted:

I do have to question whether or not that wasn't, in large part, due to how trivial hacking the system and subsequent piracy became.

I think it's based entirely on internal storage. The DS had no internal storage and got a flash cart. The 3DS had it and only got one, before people figured out how to hack it. The vita never had one. I'd bet most of it will be through software hacks for the switch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Iron Rose posted:

Until the system exploits, it was those button flashcarts in beginning, they just never evolved and hoped people who didn't want to go through the process of hacking to get one. It also didn't help that using roms with a flashcart was a fast track to getting your system banned if you played online.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I mean technically you just needed to much with some hex data to make it online safe. Something about a public ID and private ID. But if you just installed a .cia, it used your private ID, so it was fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm not sure about that because the sole flashcart was out for years before the 3ds was hacked.

And I don't know if I'd say it was trivial to hack. The Wii was trivial to hack. The 3DS was like a six hour process where you had to be on an exploitable firmware and if you closed the lid at a certain step you'd literally destroy your system

Nerds like us were comfortable hacking it but even then it was kind of confusing and took half a day of work

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

m2pt5 posted:

Seems the Switch boot procedure has been documented, and it uses fuses in the CPU chip as downgrade protection. (On boot, the firmware checks if there are more fuses blown than there should be, and if there are, it panics.)

So are the fuses "used up" with every system update? Wouldn't this limit the amount of updates the system could have? Or am I an idiot with no clue what he's talking about?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

So are the fuses "used up" with every system update? Wouldn't this limit the amount of updates the system could have? Or am I an idiot with no clue what he's talking about?

To be fair it's confusing to me and I've hacked every system I've ever owned. I remember a certain 360 update blew an efuse which meant you were screwed if you wanted to mod it. From what I remember it was only that one update that blew the fuse, not every update.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not every update has to blow a fuse, if necessary they can conserve them by only blowing one after they fix an exploit.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Can you actually bridge a blown efuse with solder for arguments sake?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

s.i.r.e. posted:

To be fair it's confusing to me and I've hacked every system I've ever owned. I remember a certain 360 update blew an efuse which meant you were screwed if you wanted to mod it. From what I remember it was only that one update that blew the fuse, not every update.

So there are 2 relevant fusesets on the 360, one for the bootloader and one for the dash version. The bootloader was only updated a few times (more for older revisions of the console of course), so not with every update, but each 2BL/CB update did blow an efuse.
The 360 first blew a dash efuse when they patched the King Kong exploit; seems like initially the plan was to blow a fuse just for vulnerabilities patched like that, but around the time they added the 5th blade to the OG dash they started blowing fuses with every update.

As far as being used up, there are something like 256 efuses in the X1, which means that there can be (at least) that many updates. However it seems like Nintendo is only updating the fuseset with each major version increase, whether or not the bootloader is updated. Practically speaking they could afford to blow a fuse for every single update - look to the 3DS which only has had about 50 updates over six years.

Even if all fuses are blown, that doesn't mean that there can be no more future updates. It just means that every update past that version will also check to ensure that all fuses are blown - essentially that the efuse array could not differentiate between that update and any further ones, so that protection method does not function any further. Presuming no further surprises with package1.1, were every fuse blown there'd be no way for package1 to know whether version 300 or version 320 should be running, so in theory a hardmod downgrade could function - but it's incredibly unlikely that the Switch will ever have every downgrade fuse blown in the first place.

Can you actually bridge a blown efuse with solder for arguments sake?

No. The efuses are printed on the CPU die itself, which is impossible to access without decapping. Even if you did that, they'd would be too small to work on even if you could identify them.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 27, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the explanation. I can tell I'll never be a programmer because I'll never understand why there has to be that exact 256 number of fuses (u understand the 8 bit thing but why the hell would that matter in 2017 and with fuses no less)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 28, 2017

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's a number that is easy to work with since it's both small enough to be sane and large enough to be reasonably flexible.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
right but why would it matter for physical fuses

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Same reasons, really. They take up space and must be designed for, but you don't need too incredibly many in most applications they would be used for. It's a good amount of digits for tracking versions or permanent serial numbers.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can i update my wiiU if i am on rednand/haxchi/mocha cfw or do we know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

can i update my wiiU if i am on rednand/haxchi/mocha cfw or do we know

not sure if the update breaks rednand (I think it may have issues actually updating/rednand can get corrupted shortly after updating). Haxchi still works on 5.5.2 though.

• Locked thread