Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I want to submit somebody else, since another child will turn out really interesting with Elise as the mother.

If we want Ryoma's kid to be hilariously useless, we can pawn him off to Orochi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rangpur posted:

What does 'stripped' even mean in this context? You don't really get armor in Fire Emblem games. Does she just steal whatever they don't have equipped at the moment?

Did you know this game has models of everyone in underwear?

I hope this answers your question

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It does, yes. I'm further bemused they left that in but not the face-poking minigame.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I was going to push for Camilla to marry Ryoma because it makes the kid a goddamn monster, but oh well. scarlet would be pretty good too intsys

Elise is too good for Ryoma anyway. Make him marry Hana.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Rangpur posted:

What does 'stripped' even mean in this context? You don't really get armor in Fire Emblem games. Does she just steal whatever they don't have equipped at the moment?

It means their clothes explode off their model when she hits them.

Anyway, I'm gonna be different and vote for putting Ryoma with Azura.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Rangpur posted:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It also destroys any accessories the target is wearing until the end of the battle, which really only matters for My Castle battles.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

There's only one person worthy enough to be the queen of Hoshido, and that's Mozu.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Rinkah

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kay Kessler posted:

There's only one person worthy enough to be the queen of Hoshido, and that's Mozu.

Agreed. Mozu.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Kay Kessler posted:

This. The entirety of both countries' royal lineage are either incompetent or some flavor of crazy. Need to get some fresh blood in there. Mozu, less problems.

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Mozu sounds good.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Nth-ing Mozu.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Mozu

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh, yeah, changing my vote to Mozu, forgot about her.

On my first run each of Conquest and Birthright, Mozu became the next Queen.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theshim posted:

Oh, yeah, changing my vote to Mozu, forgot about her.

On my first run each of Conquest and Birthright, Mozu became the next Queen.

And then she can kill Ryoma and rule Hoshido!

I'm pretty sure that's how succession works around here, anyway. Only way Mikoto being queen makes sense.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And then she can kill Ryoma and rule Hoshido!

I'm pretty sure that's how succession works around here, anyway. Only way Mikoto being queen makes sense.
Mikoto became queen because Sumeragi's first wife Ikona (and the biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings) died some time before Corrin was kidnapped but after Sakura was born. What she died of is left ambiguous, as one would imagine from the subpar writing this game has. This information is brought up in like two or three supports (IIRC, mainly in Ryoma's supports with Corrine), so I don't blame you for not knowing that. Hell, the game treats Ikona as practically a non-entity that it'd be faster (and less insane to follow) from a storytelling perspective to actually have Mikoto be the biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings. Then again, the same goes for the mothers of the Nohrian siblings; we at least know the name of Xander's mother (Katarina) and Azura's mother (Arete), but the other three? Not a single drop of information about any of them beyond Camilla's mother having a heated rivalry with Arete and Elise's mother crying out for Garon when she died (also of unknown causes) instead of her daughter. So yeah, this game really hates mothers, now that I think about it.

E: Voting for Mozu, Queen of Hoshido!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Mozu is always a fun choice to become royalty, and she's another one who turns Ryoma's kid into a wrecking ball.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't have any fancy fighting moves like the rest of you folks... And I'm no tactician, neither.

Ryoma is taking this negligence to the next level.

I kinda like the japanese version better which is basically Chasing Father's Shadow or chasing his back

Brother, what's wrong?
It can't be, yet I've gotten word that my son is missing from the Deeprealms.
What?! Shiro's missing?
He's left of his own accord, but he's never been here before. I haven't prepared Shiro for what he must know about our world.
We need to find him! I'll alert the others at once.
Thank you. Shiro has no idea what sort of danger he's in here.

"If only I didn't visited him like once every few years like a bum"

*Meanwhile*

Pretty dull, if you ask me. Maybe if I can find this Hoshido palace then it'll all make sense. From what I overheard back home, my dad is a bigger deal here than I thought.

Jesus, you didn't even tell him about Hoshido??

I dunno. Little Cheese? I must be some kind of royalty though. I always knew Dad was a major deal. But, royalty?! I still can't believe it.

Hard to believe Nyx and Tarba were drawn by the same person.

What? None of your business.
You're not welcome here. Now I'll forget that I ever saw you. Long as you hand over your weapons and armor, that is. Refuse, and you won't walk outta here alive.
You ready for this? I doubt it. Fine then. Take your best shot.

Come on! He's surrounded—there's no way he can fight them all off!

So...Shiro is kinda surrounded for realsies, and he's an NPC so he stuck unpromoted among a sea of promoted enemies.

It's time to start the cuts. Bench 5, most voted is permanently out: http://www.strawpoll.me/13553965

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this chapter is the one that emphasizes just how insane a plot point the deeprealms are

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Once again, feckless goon voting results in and oddly appropriate choice of mothers. ...Is what I would say if Shiro's 'confusion about his bloodline' had to do with his readiness to govern instead of confusion over which country his dad actually runs.

This is a very silly game.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
This loving paralouge is loving painful, depending on how long you wait to get to it. When I did my ninja-only run, the only way I could manage to get to Shiro in time was to use the boots on Takumi.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I think it's literally this point in the campaign where it becomes hard. I did it one chapter earlier and Shiro had no problem holding his own.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eh, dash someone in, recruit him, rescue out. No biggie.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Eh, dash someone in, recruit him, rescue out. No biggie.
That's the problem. The map is set up with the old "Rescue staff comes to save the day" strategy in mind and throws up roadblocks. You'll need to have a staff user with enough magic and enough mobility to get to him (i.e., on a horse or a pegasus), and then get Ryoma over to Shiro to recruit him. Oh, and then there's the desert terrain, making the first issue even more of a hassle because Fire Emblem Desert Maps Bullshit. But then there's the final problem, the Dragon Veins that fix the terrain problem, which can only be activated by royals and/or any unit that has used the First Blood DLC item that lets them activate Dragon Veins. Further complicating things is that Rescue in this game likes to drop target units on the tile above the staff user, unlike in Awakening where it preferred to drop the target on the tile below the staff user.

So, to recap, to get Shiro recruited you need:

-- A staff user who can move far enough and have enough magic to reach Shiro to use Rescue on him in one action
-- A royal/Dragon Vein user who has to burn their turn in order to help the staff user be in range of Shiro, potentially leaving them out of position to help fight enemy units
-- Ryoma, who needs the ability to get over to his son without hassle in one action
-- The rest of the team in range to stop the enemy units that are nearby and prevent Shiro from dying before recruitment
-- Shiro to not be completely statfucked by inheritance and be able to survive an enemy phase should Ryoma not get in range in time (and/or you don't have enough Rescue staves)

Suffice to say, Shiro's paralogue is not a fun one to play, even on Revelation where you get all 8 royals to make this slightly less annoying. And then Tae's only Dragon Vein user not named Corrine on this run is Ryoma himself (provided that Sophie doesn't get run into the ground by rear end in a top hat voters), making things even more of a hassle.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Shiro is an unpromoted unit surrounded by promoted units because its chapter 20 and gently caress you, either rush towards him or rescue staff abuse.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
It doesn't help that Shiro's AI is perfectly willing to run off and get killed

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
When I voted for "all the kids at once", this was the mission I had in mind.

Did you know, even on Casual mode, if a kid dies before they get properly recruited, that's it, they're dead? This was the mission that taught me this.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Yeah this mission, and one of the Nohr ones, can get brutally hard at later points in the game. I think Shiro can still survive one round at Chapter 20 at least? Some combination of rescue/dance/shelter/fliers is needed here to rescue Shiro.

Once you've managed that, it's still a lovely boring mission because it's a desert map. One of the worst paralogues I think.

Shiro's a decent unit at least. He wishes one of his parents could pass down Cavalier to him though. Camilla can give him Wyvern Lord for flying lance usage, but Camilla's genes are better elsewhere.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
My favorite kid. :allears: I don't care how hard his paralogue is.

Wallet Inspector posted:

Shiro's a decent unit at least. He wishes one of his parents could pass down Cavalier to him though. Camilla can give him Wyvern Lord for flying lance usage, but Camilla's genes are better elsewhere.

He can get cavailer from Friendship Sealing with Xander's kid.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Melomane Mallet posted:

My favorite kid. :allears: I don't care how hard his paralogue is.

He can get cavailer from Friendship Sealing with Xander's kid.
True, or from marrying Sophie, but that's even more tedious support grinding or five extra chapters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting will end soon. Thanks for eating up my 2k, Hana

edit:

Hinata, Saizo, Hana, Nyx, Niles are out. Hinata is banished forever for having worse growths than Echoes.

Tae fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 28, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hinata's out forever, Sophie's in charge of all the swords now. Just like Silas was back Birthright.

So the basic strategy is to have Ryoma fly over to as far right as he can, and solo the immediate area.

Setsuna is on the Takumi role of roaming around and one-rounding enemies, mostly mages as they are unimpeded by the desert terrain.

Shiro is kinda infuriating here, because he will ALWAYS attack a nearby enemy, and he will ALWAYS attack from the top. That makes a Rescue Staff plan way, way worse to implement because of this.

PSkill: Noble Cause-When user is the lead unit, if their support unit doesn’t have full HP, damage +3 and damage received +1

Shiro is an all-around guy, appropriate for a class like Spear Fighter. His PSkill is a bit awkward to use off the bat, but it's pretty good for dealing lots of damage when using the Guard Naginata.

It's pretty much almost instant death on the higher difficulties for Shiro's suicidal AI.

Did Ryoma leave Shiro with Yakuza or something?

We can discuss that another time. Leave here now. I'll take care of this.
Ha, really? When the party's just getting started? Hey, also, you big liar, where are all the monsters you said were here? These guys are just...well, guys. Hardly a match for me.

Not only did you not tell Shiro anything about...anything, but lied about there being monsters? Poor Mozu.

Don't be a fool, Shiro. I haven't prepared you for a place in my world. That includes knowing how to handle yourself on the battlefield!

You didn't prepare poo poo, dude.

Yeah, I'm making Shiro as a second Basara. Spear Master would give more variety, but Basara would improve his killing power and it makes him a better mixed tank.

The actual challenge of the map is now done with after recruiting Shiro. The rest is just a slog through a desert as the objective is a rout mission.

If you never seen a Basara attack, they are apparently another clown class like the Apothecary line.

Also there's Dragon Veins to turn desert into not-desert to make walking easier, which is easier to do now with Sophie and Shiro being royals.

Summary of the mission

About 3/4 of the way there now.

Shiro getting a boost from Mozu's gift of Aptitude already.

The only notable thing about Tarba is that he has a Killer Axe which is dangerous at most any levels, and he does move when you aggro any of his buddies. Also, 61 HP goddamn.

Bah! Who am I kidding? I'm gonna sell all you got, right down to your bones!

How embarrassing!

Really disappointing level, relatively speaking.

What exactly have you done to earn that respect...?

How can you call me that?!
I didn't raise you to be this irresponsible.

FINALLY

What? I did what I had to. I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, Son. I put you somewhere that was safe from our family's enemies. What was all this anyway? Some sort of adventure? Had you been slain, don't you know that all of Hoshido would grieve you?
Hoshido? Then it's true.
Tell me who told you. Your caretakers were under strict orders of secrecy.
What?! No one. Everyone kept your secret. But you really are...?

We've seen a lot of bad dads. This is somehow one of the worst ones. Like, actively trying to not be involved and then shift blame when he's called out on it.

A kingdom that you will rule one day. If you survive so long.
How could you keep this secret from me?! Didn't you think I have a right to know?
I'm sorry. I had my reasons initially. And then later... Well, the truth is that you haven't been maturing the role.
That's not right. If you'd only told me, I would have taken things more seriously.

Boy, I can't wait until we get to Xander's kid.

This battle has been the only moment of truth in my whole damned life.
I don't mean your confession here. I mean seeing all this...death. I can barely stop my hands from shaking. I was trained to fight. Not to kill. You...you should have prepared me for this sort of life.
I see... Yes, I suppose I should have. But now that we're here, answer me this. From what you've seen of me today, what do you think your father's power is for?

No. Is that really what you saw here? What we ALL achieved here?
No. I guess not. Those guys wanted to bloody the field with us.
Yes. They abused their power. You and I had to stop them. All lives are sacred. Even theirs.
And so, taking their lives is a serious decision. But it had to be done, for the sake of OUR way of life. I falls to me, and one day to you, to bear that heavy responsibility.
Still, you didn't prepare me for this...

"Well, you caught me not telling you your origin despite being like...20? So now you can join us!"

Now that you know who I really am, you can decide to be who YOU really are.
Are you sure you want me around?
Sure, if you're sure. But remember that I'm more than your father.
I'll warn you—speak to anyone in our family, and they'll tell you about me. I'm as strict as they come. Some even say I'm severe. But it's all for Hoshido.
I'll do my best! Er, not that I have a clue what I'm up against.
We stand together then. Now, I make you this vow, Son. No more secrets. I need to prepare you fully to fill my role...in due time.

Unit Joined

Shiro

Class sets: Starts as Spear Fighter, Samurai, Villager
PSkill: Noble Cause-When user is the lead unit, if their support unit doesn’t have full HP, damage +3 and damage received +1

Growth Rates (With Aptitude)
HP: 70
STR: 65
MAG: 22.5
SKL: 65
SPD: 65
LCK: 65
DEF: 55
RES: 50

Shiro isn't Ryoma, but he's trying his drat hardest with absurd growths and a nice PSkill boost. Being a Basara boosts his resistance 50%, making him more reliable as a mixed tank since he can take way more hits than Ryoma. He's more Oboro than his dad, but only because he doesn't have the most busted weapon in the game.

I mean, I DID become a spear fighter to beat you in sparring. But I wouldn't say that I'm OBSESSED with winning, exactly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dad! I'm determined to grow until I can inherit your sword!

And thats why I'm taking up training in the use of scroll magic! :downs:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shiro makes a bunch of really good points that he is rightfully angry about, then just randomly gives up on that argument for no real reason. you can practically see the writer going 'uhhh, gently caress it'

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Ah Ryoma. You somehow are a worse father than Leo, who couldn't stand that his son dressed in woman's clothing. At least he realized that he was wrong, and tried to move past his prejudice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Ah Ryoma. You somehow are a worse father than Leo, who couldn't stand that his son dressed in woman's clothing. At least he realized that he was wrong, and tried to move past his prejudice.

Also, you know, that's kind of a tricky situation. Leo tried, got something he wasn't prepared for, hosed up, and then when called on it tried his best to make things right while admitting his faults.

Meanwhile, Ryoma... yeah. He didn't even try.

For all the game tries to portray Ryoma and Xander as paragons, they're pretty terrible people.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, you know, that's kind of a tricky situation. Leo tried, got something he wasn't prepared for, hosed up, and then when called on it tried his best to make things right while admitting his faults.

Meanwhile, Ryoma... yeah. He didn't even try.

For all the game tries to portray Ryoma and Xander as paragons, they're pretty terrible people.
The thing is, Xander at least has something of a relationship with his son. It's not a good one, mind you, but at least Xander put in some effort to be a parent. Ryoma couldn't even bother with the bare minimum, and then when called out, immediately deflects the blame elsewhere. And then the game rolls itself over to make sure that call out gets swept under the rug immediately, like Endorph said. The only reason Ryoma's not on the same level of bad parenting as say, Heihachi Mishima, is because Ryoma hasn't tried to kill Shiro yet.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

AradoBalanga posted:

The thing is, Xander at least has something of a relationship with his son. It's not a good one, mind you, but at least Xander put in some effort to be a parent. Ryoma couldn't even bother with the bare minimum, and then when called out, immediately deflects the blame elsewhere. And then the game rolls itself over to make sure that call out gets swept under the rug immediately, like Endorph said. The only reason Ryoma's not on the same level of bad parenting as say, Heihachi Mishima, is because Ryoma hasn't tried to kill Shiro yet.

Didn't Ryoma slap Shiro in the Japanese version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Y'know, I'm not surprised Ryoma is a Stereotypical lovely Dad.

Never played BR/Rev, but Shiro seems to be a pretty fun character from what I've read.

• Locked thread