Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Isn't it super easy to get Wakka a ball that petrifies pretty much every enemy for half the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Gentiana was Shiva.

Also, watch SE be like "we got it! We know how to appeal to female players" and have a game based around Cindy, Luna, Iris and Aranea hanging around wearing uggs, drinking lattes, doing yoga and having Rosé parties.

Cindy was a mechanic and got lots of backlash right so clearly the answer is to make her do all those things instead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ashe is still probably worse dressed, even more so since she's a main character

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cindy's outfit is pretty bad but yeah Ashe's is significantly worse and fits the character way way less.

"Hm, well, I am the mourning queen of a conquered nation. What fits my mood...? Ah yes, the hot pink miniskirt."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just looked and realized how close Ashe and Lightning look in terms of design. Lightning is obviously a lot more dignified.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ImpAtom posted:

Cindy's outfit is pretty bad but yeah Ashe's is significantly worse and fits the character way way less.

"Hm, well, I am the mourning queen of a conquered nation. What fits my mood...? Ah yes, the hot pink miniskirt."

Even better they justified it by saying that she dresses that way because she lives in a hot lovely desert.

Nothing protects you from the desert heat like wearing nothing at all.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I mean Vaan's running around in a metal vest and Balthier in tight leather pants though, so whatever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fantasy writers and video game character designers have no idea how deserts work.

Or, more likely, they know better but know that most of the audience doesn't and want an excuse to dress characters in skimy outfits.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

more than the clothing, what's even weirder is being a super hot desert but most characters having v pale skin

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like Ashe's outfit just fine, if we're pulling the "immodest" card then you gotta talk about the giant black thong in the room.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mandatory lesbian posted:

yuna using summons breaks the game, they uh really didn't balance her at all

The rare unbalanced ability in the Final Fantasy series.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Any tips for FFX-2?

If you want to find 99% of the secrets in the game on your own, do this: Talk to people multiple times until they start repeating themselves. Visit every area in every chapter before and after you complete the Hotspots (up to the point of no return for that chapter). Engage with and play the minigames.

The accessory you get for failing the Leblanc minigame the first time in chapter 2 is generally considered better than the accessory you get for winning it on the first try.

In chapter 1 you can buy a Charm Bangle in the Calm Lands to turn off random battles at will.

Just about everything except the Attack command awards AP.

Doing all the sidequests will make you overpowered for the main game, while doing no sidequests will make you pretty underpowered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I think most of the outfits in FFXII are silly. Balthier looks all right from the waist up but those pants and shoes, man, I don't even know. Basch wears loving combat shorts and a pot holder on his chest. Like his "I pieced this together in a goddamn cave" outfit looked more intentional than his "there's the Basch I remember" outfit. Penelo's skin-tight leather romper or whatever the gently caress seems really uncomfortable to wear in like any of the climates you visit in FFXII. Vaan is a blinged-out Aladdin with inexplicably armored legs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Are we talking terrible FF outfits again?

And for once it's not Luso!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Basch's ramshackle cave outfit should've been his main outfit, ponytail included.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Basch's ramshackle cave outfit should've been his main outfit, ponytail included.

:yeah:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ironically, the Imperials have much better fashion sense. Larsa and Vayne look just fine.

I'd say Balthier > Ashe > Basch > Fran >>>>>>> Penelo >>>>>>>>>> Vaan

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
penelo's legs and feet are all hosed up

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

I'd say Balthier > Ashe > Basch > Fran >>>>>>> Penelo >>>>>>>>>> Vaan

tfw u notice balthier's assless ashley riot chaps

Mega64 posted:

http://olremix.org/remixes/719

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 27, 2017

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mega64 posted:

Come an' get 'er, boys, she's only 15!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a sudden urge to replay Final Fantasy IX, the most charming and best Final Fantasy game

Also everyone in that game except like Vivi and Freya dress like total clowns and it owns, and Vivi only gets away with it because he's a black mage and that's what black mages look like.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Harrow posted:

I have a sudden urge to replay Final Fantasy IX, the most charming and best Final Fantasy game

Also everyone in that game except like Vivi and Freya dress like total clowns and it owns, and Vivi only gets away with it because he's a black mage and that's what black mages look like.

That's racist.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In most FFs it would be job-ist but you're right, I'm an FF9 racist :negative:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Every time I get that urge I think of how glacial the game is.

It's still a great game but good god is it slow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Every time I get that urge I think of how glacial the game is.

It's still a great game but good god is it slow.

They added fast forward mode in the PC version :v:

Assuming you're talking about the ridiculously slow battle speed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Vivi is probably the single best character in any FF game, real talk.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ROFL Octopus posted:

I mean Vaan's running around in a metal vest and Balthier in tight leather pants though, so whatever.

Balthier gets a pass because he has a pathological obsession with looking good; he can't help wanting to be fabulous all the time.

*escapes armored pursuers out to kill him* "ah poo poo now my cuffs are soiled"

*accomplishes an impossible rescue and escapes unscathed* "priority one is a bath and a change of clothes"

Most of his "Ugh, what now" reactions to events are probably "Dammit I doubt there's a dry cleaner's in this ancient tomb/prison/whatever."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

Vivi is probably the single best character in any FF game, real talk.

He has some serious competition from Delita from FF Tactics but Vivi really is amazing.

I actually think FF9's cast is generally fantastic. Some of them don't get enough development or time in the plot spotlight (sorta like 12, actually), but the core cast are all excellent. Vivi's the best of them for sure.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

precision posted:

I think I'm gonna replay the FFX remaster again, what are the big things to remember to break the game (early steals, rare drops, that kind of thing)?

Not til near the end. Wakkas sphere grid is great for raising strength. Doublecast is pretty broken.

I feel like I could have broken the main story bosses over my knee if I replayed with my current knowledge.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

After pretty much 100%ing FFXII over the past few weeks I decided to go back and give FFXV a try. I had basically done nothing more than install it back when I first bought my PS4.
Is the text and UI supposed to be eye-strainingly tiny? It's not like I've got a tiny TV or anything but I have to wear my glasses and sit about 4 feet away from the screen compared to sitting across the room which I could do with FFXII. I've tried looking around online and the only thing I've been able to find is stuff saying "It's supposed to fixed automatically" which it uh...isn't.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 27, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

They added fast forward mode in the PC version :v:

Assuming you're talking about the ridiculously slow battle speed

I mean the ridiculously slow everything speed, from the world map to the battles, plus the ridiculous load times.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm actually ok with FFIX's slow battles because the battle themes are so good

Harrow posted:

If only we got Amano Vivi

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Here's an opinion on 9 from A Slightly Younger ROFL Octopus:

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ok here's my deal on 9. It has great characters. Its setting is awesome and every town is unique. Gameplay is awesome; for the past two games you had characters that were virtually identical except for limit breaks, but in this game everyone has two unique abilities, while still having lots of customization. The game even today looks amazing. It has bar none the best soundtrack in the series.

But it's so. loving. Slow. Load times are horrendous and just lol at the frame rate most of the time. I love the game so much but that's what keeps me from replaying it all the time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The PC version might help, because it helps with the load times (for obvious reasons) and you can fast forward things just like in Zodiac Age. The downside is that the higher-res character models look kind of nuts against the low-res backgrounds (they apparently no longer have the original renders so there was only so much that could be done).

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

precision posted:

I like Ashe's outfit just fine, if we're pulling the "immodest" card then you gotta talk about the giant black thong in the room.
If you're referring. To Fran she at least has the decent excuse that all the Viera we see dress like that. Ashe on the other hand, I think the most immodest thing we see normal Dalmascans wear are halter tops.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Harrow posted:

The PC version might help, because it helps with the load times (for obvious reasons) and you can fast forward things just like in Zodiac Age. The downside is that the higher-res character models look kind of nuts against the low-res backgrounds (they apparently no longer have the original renders so there was only so much that could be done).

I think there's a mod that adds hi-res versions of some of the backgrounds, I assume from the ones that have been floating around the internet forever.

Square's PS1 games have some ridiculously detailed backgrounds. It's just a shame you can't really see any of them.

e: Just loving look at this house.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 27, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

He has some serious competition from Delita from FF Tactics but Vivi really is amazing.

I actually think FF9's cast is generally fantastic. Some of them don't get enough development or time in the plot spotlight (sorta like 12, actually), but the core cast are all excellent. Vivi's the best of them for sure.

delita was a prick but i also really like delita as a character yeah. it's like if emperor barbarosa from suikoden was much more fleshed-out, same kinda sympathetic bastard. my favorite character is still zidane, though. it's the worldview i'd hold and the way i'd want to treat other people, but i'm not so it's just like an ideal

well ~b the change u want 2 c in the world~ etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

InequalityGodzilla posted:

If you're referring. To Fran she at least has the decent excuse that all the Viera we see dress like that. Ashe on the other hand, I think the most immodest thing we see normal Dalmascans wear are halter tops.

I guess I never thought of Ashe's skirt as being so short because her boots are so high

Fran straight up walking around with her butt hanging out. Which is fine, but maybe silly

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Yeah but Fran is a rogue Viera that left Eruyt Village to become Chewbacca so her wearing something different from other Viera would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just got to the village but do any of the games explain why they're all playboy bunnies, do they lay eggs?