Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hmm it's almost like that's not the only other choice!

- The tuition fees are loaned by the government
- Students start paying them back in proportion to their income after they have secured a job with a decent enough income
- The public gets its money back
- No one goes bankrupt because no one is forced into bankruptcy!

Again, there's no fellation of the Free Market (pbuh) but omelette, breaking eggs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why would they pay it back if they could discharge?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You need good credit for more than just buying a house

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Weatherman posted:

Hmm it's almost like that's not the only other choice!

- The tuition fees are loaned by the government
- Students start paying them back in proportion to their income after they have secured a job with a decent enough income

Again, there's no fellation of the Free Market (pbuh) but omelette, breaking eggs, etc.

What if they never secure a job with a decent income? What if the proportion of income they can pay based on their income isn't enough to cover interest or results in a payback period that effectively leads into retirement?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can get a credit card or car loan if you can fog a mirror. If credit were a huge issue for 22-year-olds then there would be no reason to make it non-dischargeable in the US.

I actually like the model you're describing, I just don't know that it survives contact with moral hazard.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

monster on a stick posted:

What if they never secure a job with a decent income? What if the proportion of income they can pay based on their income isn't enough to cover interest or results in a payback period that effectively leads into retirement?

What if. What if I'm taking a shower and I slip on a bar of soap? *gasp* I'd be killed!

You keep defending the system that is proven to be actually loving people up for life, VC mogul Subjunctive. If that works for you, great. I'll take the inferior method that educates people and launches them into adulthood without hanging millstones around their necks oh and also still hasn't bankrupted the entire country for some reason.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

What if. What if I'm taking a shower and I slip on a bar of soap? *gasp* I'd be killed!

You keep defending the system that is proven to be actually loving people up for life, VC mogul Subjunctive. If that works for you, great. I'll take the inferior method that educates people and launches them into adulthood without hanging millstones around their necks oh and also still hasn't bankrupted the entire country for some reason.

I just said I preferred your model, and I haven't been defending anything. I don't see why people wouldn't choose to discharge, and nobody has answered that. I don't see what my job has to do with it, unless we've reached the ad hominem part of the evening.

(In Australia, student loans aren't dischargeable. why not?)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Weatherman posted:

:goonsay:

Let's quote you again:

quote:

So you are saying that people only pay back loans if they make a decent enough income. Which isn't guaranteed to be everyone, this thread is full of stories of college graduates who have lovely jobs and can barely afford to pay if they can pay at all. Then you say:

quote:

Which doesn't happen if the graduates don't make enough money. Unless you are thinking that "proportion of their income" is something like 50% because those graduates should just buck up and live in their cars and eat dry ramen.

I'm sorry to point out that your plan has a gaping hole in it, maybe next time propose a plan that doesn't have gaping holes in it.

Also I'm not Subjunctive, next time go to a college that teaches you how to read or something, then you can get started on more public policy suggestions that are equally broken.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 27, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

We need more marginal tax brackets. They should start above whenever my current income is

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B87K-PVfXnE&t=13s

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Let's quote you again:

So you are saying that people only pay back loans if they make a decent enough income. Which isn't guaranteed to be everyone, this thread is full of stories of college graduates who have lovely jobs and can barely afford to pay if they can pay at all. Then you say:

Which doesn't happen if the graduates don't make enough money. Unless you are thinking that "proportion of their income" is something like 50% because those graduates should just buck up and live in their cars and eat dry ramen.

I'm sorry to point out that your plan has a gaping hole in it, maybe next time propose a plan that doesn't have gaping holes in it.

Perhaps you should contact The Hon. Malcolm Turnbull and let him know that the system his country has been running just fine for 30-odd years is broken and has gaping holes and should be replaced post-haste.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Let's quote you again:

Also I'm not Subjunctive, next time go to a college that teaches you how to read or something, then you can get started on more public policy suggestions that are equally broken.

Do you understand what in proportion means

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also let's giggle at "what if they can't afford it" when that is literally the situation we have right now

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also let's giggle at "what if they can't afford it" when that is literally the situation we have right now

With REPAYE we can and do forgive loans after a certain period of time, which means that whole "the public gets it money back :downs:" line is not accurate. Which is one of points of income-based repayment, the public forgives the loan if the person can't pay back the loan in a certain amount of time.

Weatherman is saying "the public gets its money back :downs:" but it's like the business plan for the underpants gnomes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

With REPAYE we can and do forgive loans after a certain period of time, which means that whole "the public gets it money back :downs:" line is not accurate. Which is one of points of income-based repayment, the public forgives the loan if the person can't pay back the loan in a certain amount of time.

Weatherman is saying "the public gets its money back :downs:" but it's like the business plan for the underpants gnomes.

sure if you ignore the part where people make payments in proportion to their income

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

Perhaps you should contact The Hon. Malcolm Turnbull and let him know that the system his country has been running just fine for 30-odd years is broken and has gaping holes and should be replaced post-haste.

Just fine, but with non-dischargeable student debt. Are you going to address that? Why do you think that's the case, and why do you think it's national news when people flee to NZ and effectively discharge it there?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 28, 2017

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Bird

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This seems like pretty on-topic stuff given how often student loans come up.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Basically. You pay something like 10% of your income once you make over a lower-middle-class amount of money. The loan balance does accrue interest but it's pretty modest, I think just covers inflation pretty much.

You've got a couple things wrong. The highest repayment percentage is 8% for people earning >$101,900 . You can find the table here:
http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/payingbackmyloan/loan-repayment/pages/loan-repayment

Lower middle class is... about 60k in Australia. Repayment percentage would be 4% for income over 54k.

There is no interest, it's indexed to CPI.

It's a great system IMO. only complaint is it doesn't factor in household income into the equation.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Weatherman posted:

Oh, you mean this plan:

quote:

About 17 per cent of new lending is now classified as doubtful, meaning it is not expected to ever be fully repaid. This expense, which appears each year in the Commonwealth Budget, is projected to be $1.1 billion this financial year. With student numbers rapidly increasing, and new uses being found for income contingent loans, doubtful debt costs will continue to rise.

So what was that about "the public gets its money back" because it doesn't really sound like it if the government is writing off debt.

Well at least it kept tuition down

quote:

The scale of borrowing under HELP is much greater than could have been envisaged in the late 1980s. Since then, the number of Australian higher education students has more than doubled. On average, students borrow much more now than they did then.
When HECS was first introduced, full-time students paid $3,500 a year in today’s money. Now annual student contributions are at least $6,000 a year, and up to $10,000. Full-fee students pay much higher fees on average, which many of them finance with FEE-HELP.

or not :downs: (I mean, it's much better than the US, but it sounds like they had the same effect of seeing tuition go up as loans became easy to get, just like the US.)

EDIT:

quote:

Although New Zealand has always required overseas student debtors to repay, policies have changed over the years. A now-abolished three-year repayment holiday for overseas debtors exacerbated repayment problems. New Zealand is finding that it is difficult to get debtors into repayments after such a long break.

New Zealand uses advertising to alert overseas student debtors to their obligations and debt collectors to improve repayment levels. They data-match passports and tax records to increase compliance from debtors returning to New Zealand. Yet despite increasing amounts of repayment from overseas student debtors, 60 per cent of them still have overdue payments.

In the latest move to increase repayment rates, the New Zealand Parliament has passed a law allowing authorities to arrest defaulting student loan debtors at airports. This will catch people living permanently outside New Zealand who return temporarily on business or to see friends and family.

:staredog:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 28, 2017

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
Marble Floors, Gold Ceilings: This is China’s Most Luxurious Horse Stable

(Sorry if this has been posted before)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh, you mean this plan:

So what was that about "the public gets its money back" because it doesn't really sound like it if the government is writing off debt.

or not :downs: (I mean, it's much better than the US, but it sounds like they had the same effect of seeing tuition go up as loans became easy to get, just like the US.)

EDIT:

Wow, snagging debtors at the airport, that's some next level collections work.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's nothing on draft dodging. My father in law was back in turkey on a business trip and had his hotel door knocked down by commandoes in the middle of the night. Turns out they lost the record of his service when they digitized everything but he was held incommunicado in jail for 48 hours in the meantime until they could confirm his old unit. No apologies.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, snagging debtors at the airport, that's some next level collections work.

According to this article:

quote:

There are about 112,000 overseas-based student-loan borrowers, and roughly 70 per are in default.

That's almost 80K people. Sounds like NZ may need a new debtors prison.

But at least they won't go bankrupt :)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Oh, you mean this plan:

EDIT:

The arrest policy is interesting. Anyone could be arrested for not making their payments. However right now they only selectively arrest those who could have been making payments. If they arrested someone working minimum wage in Australia, and IRD have neglected to follow through on a promised write off it could end up in a media disaster. I have friends who won't be arrested as it would demonstrate the policy is unfair. This goes doubly right now in the run up to the election.

That said some people have been dicks and decided not to pay when they've been receiving good pay overseas.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:bird:

Huh, we have an smiley for it now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

:bird:

Huh, we have an smiley for it now.

That's not the right bird :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ate all the Oreos posted:

That's not the right bird :colbert:

Better the wrong bird than another stupid derail.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
guy buys a Ferrari and crashes it into a burning wreck after owning it for one hour

if it's a super rich guy then whatever but from the sounds of it im guessing it's probably a normal, sort of wealthy guy with a mid life crisis since the super rich don't need to "pick up" cars from dealerships (they have people who do that poo poo)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-40748897

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Weatherman posted:

This but unironically.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zo posted:

guy buys a Ferrari and crashes it into a burning wreck after owning it for one hour

if it's a super rich guy then whatever but from the sounds of it im guessing it's probably a normal, sort of wealthy guy with a mid life crisis since the super rich don't need to "pick up" cars from dealerships (they have people who do that poo poo)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-40748897

Gonna go out on a limb and guess this was the first car that had more than 300hp that he's ever driven.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

The repayment threshhold is currently $55k. The minimum wage is like $38 or so.

If you never make over that amount in your life, even with a degree in Arts, you'd have to be actively trying to stay in the most basic minimum wage jobs.

But I guess you guys are right, best the country scrap a scheme that makes further education financially available to everyone, only the rich should have that privilege after all.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

You've got a couple things wrong. The highest repayment percentage is 8% for people earning >$101,900 . You can find the table here:
http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/payingbackmyloan/loan-repayment/pages/loan-repayment

Lower middle class is... about 60k in Australia. Repayment percentage would be 4% for income over 54k.

There is no interest, it's indexed to CPI.

It's a great system IMO. only complaint is it doesn't factor in household income into the equation.

Yeah I wouldn't know firsthand, I paid international student fees.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rudager posted:

But I guess you guys are right, best the country scrap a scheme that makes further education financially available to everyone, only the rich should have that privilege after all.

Nobody that I can see is arguing that. I'm arguing that non-dischargeable loans are essential to the system. Weatherman is arguing otherwise, ignoring that the system he's praising features non-dischargeable loans. I've explicitly said that I like the model he described, with the addition of non-dischargeable loans.

Was my writing unclear? Could you give me an example that I can learn from?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Nobody that I can see is arguing that. I'm arguing that non-dischargeable loans are essential to the system. Weatherman is arguing otherwise, ignoring that the system he's praising features non-dischargeable loans. I've explicitly said that I like the model he described, with the addition of non-dischargeable loans.

Was my writing unclear? Could you give me an example that I can learn from?

I mean I guess because I swear a few days ago I saw you arguing that the "non-dischargeable" part was unnecessary

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

If the loans are from the government and dischargeable, then the public is going to end up paying for it. There's no reason not to declare bankruptcy at 22. Your credit will be fine by the time you want to buy a house. When everyone is doing it it'll lose its stigma quickly.

Subjunctive posted:

I just said I preferred your model, and I haven't been defending anything. I don't see why people wouldn't choose to discharge, and nobody has answered that. I don't see what my job has to do with it, unless we've reached the ad hominem part of the evening.

(In Australia, student loans aren't dischargeable. why not?)

Subjunctive posted:

Just fine, but with non-dischargeable student debt. Are you going to address that? Why do you think that's the case, and why do you think it's national news when people flee to NZ and effectively discharge it there?

I dunno where you'd see that, but even if I were in favour of dischargeable debt I haven't been arguing to scrap anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In Australia, university used to be free.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inescapable Duck posted:

In Australia, university used to be free.

That's the best system, though it requires management.

Was it the case for professional degrees like medicine or law?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It all used to be free in the UK, I know that. You also used to get a maintenance grant. First the grant got phased out in favour of loans (capped at the rate of inflation and repayable once you were earning over £xx,000 a year) then they added tuition fees that you could increase your loan to pay for. Initially they were capped at £1,000 per year but that was increased to £3,000 per year in the last parliament.

I went to uni the year before tuition fees came in so I paid £2000 total for my degree. The maintenance loans meant I still ended up with around £20k in student loan debt. It's now 25 years later and I've still got about £3,000 left to pay off because I didn't hit the earning threshold until about seven years after I graduated. And I still consider myself lucky because the poor sods that go to uni now will likely pay the loan off until they retirement age and still have part of the principle left that then gets written off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

It all used to be free in the UK, I know that. You also used to get a maintenance grant. First the grant got phased out in favour of loans (capped at the rate of inflation and repayable once you were earning over £xx,000 a year) then they added tuition fees that you could increase your loan to pay for. Initially they were capped at £1,000 per year but that was increased to £3,000 per year in the last parliament.

I went to uni the year before tuition fees came in so I paid £2000 total for my degree. The maintenance loans meant I still ended up with around £20k in student loan debt. It's now 25 years later and I've still got about £3,000 left to pay off because I didn't hit the earning threshold until about seven years after I graduated. And I still consider myself lucky because the poor sods that go to uni now will likely pay the loan off until they retirement age and still have part of the principle left that then gets written off.

Look at this socialist paradise where retirement discharges loans. Work 'till you're dead then make sure your kids pay the rest, that's the American way :911: