Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
BTW that linked article has created some rage- it turns out that the new skill system ISN'T linear, meaning that for instance, non-VIP on a Tier 1 skill will have to start the first point, then 4 and a half hours later, be around to start the second point, then 9 hours later be around to start the third point, then 18 hours later, then 35 hours later. And if you aren't available at exactly these times you start to fall behind players who are paying for a sub. I'm hoping they move to an EVE alpha clone system where non-VIPs get 24 hours of queueing.

EDIT: Worth noting, for VIPs non-linear is extremely good. 3 pips is 25% of total training time and 4 pips is 50%, meaning that you can be a LOT more mobile through the tree while going for specific bonuses you care about. You just get absolutely none of those benefits as a non-VIP unless you're on at all hours of the day.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I wonder if they will be wiping the entire tree or just archetypes.

Doggir fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 9, 2017

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Doggir posted:

I wonder if they aol be wiping the entire tree or just archetypes.

In the article, they seem to only be talking about restructuring & wiping the archetype trees, but they said in the most recent Q&A videos that they were going to be taking that opportunity to do a general tree overhaul & try to make it the last big one before launch. So a full wipe is possible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Apparently today's livestream was pretty obnoxious in terms of filler, so someone cut all of it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IpEdlQcj-0

Highlights:

- CW update is coming with some big server-side performance improvements
- Some durability crafting improvements are coming so tools should stop breaking every 5 minutes
- They've changed the hit registration code for melee & a few ranged abilities to make it more forgiving in an MMO environment
- Exposes provided by rangers & duelists now remove CC immunity from blocking/parrying targets
- They showed the guinecean racial discipline- they're going to get an extra ring slot, reduced stamina & food usage, the burrow stealth, and what appears to be a buff that makes their gunshots snare people for a bit.
- They talked a lot about the stealth systems. Class stealths from duelist & assassin will be keybinds that stealth you and swap trays. But non-duelist guineceans have gimped stealth that sits on the hotbar, doesn't swap trays, and drains your stamina after 3 minutes & kicks you out of stealth. The wood elf stealth revealed last time also does this.
- Classes will only have one permitted advanced armor type after the race/class split happens, but you can discipline into others.
- Elken are going to get across-the-board range increases
- Clerics are going to have a good block and throwing hammers

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So it sounds like dual-environment is up but not CW. What this means is that if you spent $1k there is a 5.2 build you can play in, and everyone else is still on 5.1.1. 5.2 seems like a let-down, some perf improvements, ordinary bugfix & recipe change stuff. The updated skill tree sounds like it's in, but I guess because sieges aren't done yet, none of the CW mechanics are in 5.2.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
welp at least they're doing things, unlike other various crowdfunded games

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah their QA guy last week said that there was some big server freakout thing that happened when they moved to dual-env & it ate up over a week of diagnostic time.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Q&A: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/160079751

It's a big one!

- They showed off new skill trees!

The racial trees look really slick- there's a fat racial basics tree that gives bonuses to everything, then 3 subtrees which each give 4 races bonuses, and then those split into two advanced trees which cover 2 races each. So like if you're in a Half-Giant vessel, you'll get any skills you racked up in Racial Basics, Man subtree, and Half-Breeds advanced tree.

The skills seem to provide bonuses for a wide variety of stuff, so like Man has a ton of combat skills and attribute bonuses, but also seems to have bonuses available for Blacksmithing and Mining. Half-breeds have grave-digging and necromancy bonuses available. Also Underfoot (guinecean and stoneborn) get Jewelcrafting and Mining whereas Monsters (their subtree) gets something else. So seems like there's two different ways to get each harvesting & crafting bonus set?

Racials & Classes are both trained with your old archetype slots it seems like, so you'll get 3 with a VIP account.

They moved all the vessel & attribute bonuses into the racial trees. Leadership, as a result, is now split out to a lot of different places. The initial leadership & meta-leadership skills are in Racial Basics, and the actual buff effects are in the appropriate basics trees. So Crafting Basics has the skill that gives your leadership bonus +crafting stuff, Combat Basics has the skill that gives your leadership bonus +combat stuff, etc.

They also showed playing a build that seemed to have some stuff going on:
- Time of Day (there's a sunrise)
- Class/Race split
- Some early character customization stuff (wood elf started bald & had to have hair set by console command)
- Paired weapons are dead, you now equip two separate one-handed weapons (you can also do like one axe & one sword if you want)
- Wood Elf camouflage looks neat
- Centaur Champions exist and are cool

Centaur racials:
- Legionaire's Wild Charge
- Race-specific "horseshoes" slot
- Dash right click
- Toggle that increases group attack power
- Toggle that increases group support power

Only one of the above toggles can be active at a time. All toggles of every type across races, classes, and disciplines are turned off if you get stunned or whatever.

- A really sexy new character sheet
- 5.2 is going to eventually include all the CW stuff.
- 5.3 is going to have the race/class junk
- Elken model is almost done

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

So VIP is going to give you a statistical advantage after all. Game is basically a subscription lite model. Might as well let you queue all the pips in a skill now this should be more than enough to get people to pay.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are the wings on the Fae cosmetic or can you actually fly with them?

RIP Aracroix

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There's gonna be some kinda swoop ability but not full flight.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
New thread title request: Crowfall - Our Skill Trees Have Skill Trees

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Campaign test is this weekend.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So I picked up EA for this game and ran with a guild for a while last year before I got bored and quit. (Around when Druid was released) I was also really turned off by their "soft launch" strategy they announced.

I tried to sell my early access package not long thereafter but I apparently cannot, so I forgot about it.

How is the game doing overall?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's ok, just slow. Alpha 1 backers have been given access to the new test env with campaign stuff. This does not I guess include sieges ATM but does include claims from the sounds of it. 5.2 arc is going to end with claimable forts and keeps, points of interest, and siege combat(?), possibly advanced crafting taking place at crafting tables.

They have also committed to splitting archetypes into classes and races. 5.3 arc is going to include the split, cosmetic vessel customization, advantages and disadvantages, and what is supposed to be the last major rework of the skill trees

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are the wings on the Fae cosmetic or can you actually fly with them?

RIP Aracroix

Glide and double jump I believe.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

30.5 Days posted:

It's ok, just slow. Alpha 1 backers have been given access to the new test env with campaign stuff. This does not I guess include sieges ATM but does include claims from the sounds of it. 5.2 arc is going to end with claimable forts and keeps, points of interest, and siege combat(?), possibly advanced crafting taking place at crafting tables.

They have also committed to splitting archetypes into classes and races. 5.3 arc is going to include the split, cosmetic vessel customization, advantages and disadvantages, and what is supposed to be the last major rework of the skill trees

Thanks for the update!

Did they optimize any? I remember things getting janky as hell during large fights.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Thanks for the update!

Did they optimize any? I remember things getting janky as hell during large fights.

things are significantly less janky

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I've been told that message spikes are EXTREMELY rare on 5.2 but the fps sucks ATM. On 5.1, fps is mostly good but message spikes are pretty common

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They do a good job of optimizing as they go, but then new elements always have performance problems at first

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

They do a good job of optimizing as they go, but then new elements always have performance problems at first

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

https://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/17194-let-everyone-train-harvestcrafting/

"Which means you have "dedicated crafters". This mechanic sucks to be frank, it's outdated and over done." "The game can have some old school mechanics but I'd rather it not be an old school kinda game "

:allears:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So they had a big day-long stream today, they showed off a lot of unfinished stuff that seems cool. Nothing particularly surprising or particularly close to being finished, it was mainly for people on the fence about buying the game. However, one thing that came out is that the harvesting & crafting bonuses in the race trees only target a subset of the powers, so like stoneborn's mining bonuses are for gold only, etc.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Makes sense they want the race crafting/harvesting stuff to be supplemental

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Doggir posted:

https://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/17194-let-everyone-train-harvestcrafting/

"Which means you have "dedicated crafters". This mechanic sucks to be frank, it's outdated and over done." "The game can have some old school mechanics but I'd rather it not be an old school kinda game "

:allears:

I know a lot of people who love doing nothing but crafting in these kinds of games. It takes all kinds.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Deki posted:

I know a lot of people who love doing nothing but crafting in these kinds of games. It takes all kinds.

Idk Wow has a crafting system where everyone can do everything and look at how popular that is. :anime:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Doggir posted:

Idk Wow has a crafting system where everyone can do everything and look at how popular that is. :anime:

Wow has a "lets just get this of the checklist" crafting system, what crafters want is something like SWG had which is what Crowfall's crafting is based on.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

malhavok posted:

Wow has a "lets just get this of the checklist" crafting system, what crafters want is something like SWG had which is what Crowfall's crafting is based on.

Yeah but I want to be able to craft mine and combats. I should be able to play the way I want and be good at all the things.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doggir posted:

Yeah but I want to be able to craft mine and combats. I should be able to play the way I want and be good at all the things.

This but unironically.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Orv posted:

This but unironically.

same

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orv posted:

This but unironically.

Agreed, artificial limits are kind of antiquated.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Orv posted:

This but unironically.

but... the economy... :qq:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

but... the economy... :qq:

No matter how popular Crowfall becomes, it will never be popular enough to support the economy they want, I can almost guarantee that. The majority of people coming from something like Shadowbane are here to kill d00dz not craft things for every other player in the game that has no interest in crafting. And the people that do want to do that are mentally ill enough to pay for three subs or whatever to be self-sufficient.

E: Or the other option of all the crafting people get snatched up by the super giant sperg guilds so go gently caress yourself everybody else.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 28, 2017

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
As long as I can AFK in main city and day trade like the good ole' Amarr days I'm happy.

E: Or scam people in Chengdu, those 50 ding was the richest I've ever been in an MMO.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Pretty much all of the skillgain boosts are marginal so like, you'll never be unable to mine or unable to shoot fireballs. You'll just do slightly less damage. I'm fine with there being a tradeoff between versatility and Peak Performance or whatev'.

Since there's stat caps and bonuses from bodies you can craft I'm sure that'll even things out, too.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The harvesting & crafting skill gains are extremely not marginal. For point of reference, an untrained character mining on a Rank 9 (highest rank) node will average 2.5 white ore and 0.5 ethereal dust per node. A character who puts the full two years into training a single harvesting type gets about:

4.5 white ore
3.25 ethereal dust
2.23 green ore
0.87 blue ore
0.53 purple ore
0.01 orange ore

Likewise, without training, crafting anything but basic recipes is actually impossible.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 28, 2017

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Orv posted:

E: Or the other option of all the crafting people get snatched up by the super giant sperg guilds so go gently caress yourself everybody else.

Implying we are not giant sperglords

Even if you have 3 accounts you're likely not going to be multiboxing at least not during combat. And resource nodes will be in contested territory. gatherers will have to rely on combat for example the system ensures people work together.

30.5 Days posted:

The harvesting & crafting skill gains are extremely not marginal. For point of reference, an untrained character mining on a Rank 9 (highest rank) node will average 2.5 white ore and 0.5 ethereal dust per node. A character who puts the full two years into training a single harvesting type gets about :

4.5 white ore
3.25 ethereal dust
2.23 green ore
0.87 blue ore
0.53 purple ore
0.01 orange ore

Likewise, without training, crafting anything but basic recipes is actually impossible.

Marginal might not be the right word but you'll never be completely useless at anything.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Yeah I think my main point is that if you can trivially be the best (numerically) at every task in the game why even have numerical stats

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

The harvesting & crafting skill gains are extremely not marginal. For point of reference, an untrained character mining on a Rank 9 (highest rank) node will average 2.5 white ore and 0.5 ethereal dust per node. A character who puts the full two years into training a single harvesting type gets about :

4.5 white ore
3.25 ethereal dust
2.23 green ore
0.87 blue ore
0.53 purple ore
0.01 orange ore

If someone spends most there poo poo on gathering though are they still able to contribute in a meaningful way in pee vee pees? That's generally a problem I hate, I like gathering to a degree and getting stuff others can't but I also like to killmans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk how the numbers will shake out entirely with the tree revamp but as of this exact moment, combat stats on archetypes are really good, combat stats on general trees aren't, and there's no structured pvp so bringing more people is always going to be the most effective thing you can do in combat