Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Waffles Inc. posted:

My group of friends games each week, and one of the guys who is super into Dark Souls is super psyched and is getting the game

Is it any good?

The stamina/health system is good. Boss decks are awesome.

The game replicating grinding in a video game is bad. Play double XP/half sparks out of the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bombadilillo posted:

The stamina/health system is good. Boss decks are awesome.

The game replicating grinding in a video game is bad. Play double XP/half sparks out of the box

Pretty much. The conceit of dark souls works well with one player who can screw around and die in the leisure of your own home and time. It's not as pretty when other people have to be part of it unless it's a circle jerk for the people involved.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would rate nearly every coop no higher than a 5, as I really dislike coops. But since I'm not a jerk, I don't rate them. But there's lots that do down rate games they wouldn't like anyway.

The highest rated 18xx is probably '30 or '46, but that doesn't mean the rest are terrible. I bet '22 hasn't broken 500. And keep in mind there's a heavy bias against games that don't have many ratings.

Argent is a fine worker placement game, but it's not if your looking for a war game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Also the game is so so so much better at small player counts. 2 is where its at. Less down time, you can mitigate the random elements to control enemies more. Its great. Might not be good news for your game group.

I like Dark Souls a lot more then most people. Cant wait to get new bosses when the second wave ships. But it requires a bit of fixing. Namely. Double xp/half sparks and keep player count low.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Is he coming out of self-inflicted retirement?

He posts a lotta videos thats for sure

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just looked and I have backed 41 Kickstarters...Oops

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Being honest, I think there is also a recency bias because gaming has become very disposable. When I was young (25+ years ago), we played games like Space Hulk over and over partially because we were poor, but also because there weren't a lot of new games to buy.

Now, whenever I go to a gaming group, what they played a month ago is old, and they're always playing the newest thing.

For all the kudos gaming gets for being relatively cheap and replayable, most gamers seem to want to ignore those virtues and always play something new. I'd guess that most game groups don't play things more than a few times.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

djfooboo posted:

I just looked and I have backed 41 Kickstarters...Oops

48 here, plus a handful of Indigogos... though tbf a couple are video games and a bunch are miniatures.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

48 here, plus a handful of Indigogos... though tbf a couple are video games and a bunch are miniatures.

Yeah, my first Kickstarter still isn't delivered: The Protomen documentary. Still salty.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Effective ratings is a totally unsolved and kind of interesting problem that doesn't get much research. There are all kinds of permutations of counterintuitive or otherwise bad outcomes depending on all kinds of things.

My favourite are ones that boil down to "You played 12 games against Kasparov and only won once, lol you suck at chess".

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SlyFrog posted:

For all the kudos gaming gets for being relatively cheap and replayable, most gamers seem to want to ignore those virtues and always play something new. I'd guess that most game groups don't play things more than a few times.

I find that really annoying. I can't count the number of times a game is brought out, learn the rules to play then after a single game it's like "whelp, pack it up what do we do next?"

But I recently found an inconveniently located game league that picks a game, plays it a couple times for practice, then does a scored competitive play. Sounds up my alley.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Zark the Damned posted:

104, but yeah, most are vidya gamez.

Glad I didnt do IndieGoGo, kinda really wary about a lot of those just being money blackholes.

For Board Games:

The Terminator: The Board Game Liked the universe, two board concept seemed intriguing enough.
Rising Sun (gently caress Blood Rage, this is going to be better, and I dont have to hunt for loving exclusives)
Maximum Apocalypse Seemed like a good choice, Post Apocalypse with a Forbidden Island feel.
Fantasy Defense Good reviews, cool concept. Might flip this one if it doesn't do too well on the table.
Brass: Lancashire/Birmingham Very well run campaign, and the design/updates have made it very clear for me that it was a good project to back as they're doing super intricate designs for some coin trackers and such. "Preliminary designs":

Lords Of Hellas Roped me in similar to Rising Sun with the amazing minis. Cyberpunk + Mythology was my kryptonite otherwise.

Ongoing/Pending:
Star Realms Frontiers Star Realms fan, looking to finish the collection.
Epoch: The Awakening Very interesting euro, was looking to move away from just deckbuilders/minis; this one piqued my interest enough to expand my scope a little.
Perdition's Mouth: Traitor Guard Expansion As mentioned before, traded for a copy, so wanted to finish that collection.

I had wanted in on the Sentinels of the Multiverse: Oblivaeon KS, but was too late before I realized I could get in on it. Just going to get all the pieces as they come up on Miniature Market for discount. The pre-orders are cheap atm anyways.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Lorini posted:

Argent is a fine worker placement game, but it's not if your looking for a war game.

As bad as the BGG rankings are, they do reflect this specific point. The Big List is not very helpful, but "War", "Family", "Party", and to a much lesser extent "Strategy" and "Thematic" rankings are better.

For example, one of my top 10 games and possibly even my current #1 is Falling Sky. It's a respectable #39 on the wargame ranking but a dismal #779 on the Big List. That's not because there are 700-odd Euros that are better than it, it's because the people ranking Euros (and party games, etc.) vastly outnumber the people ranking wargames.

A tally for the BGG users in this thread would be more interesting than the Reddit one because it would be more idiosyncratic, but it wouldn't be any more helpful as a guide to curious new boardgamers.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I have 71 total Kickstarters backed, 68 of which have been in the game category, 6 of which were digital only (with 5/6 being inspired by tabletop gaming: SolForge, Ascension Online, HEX TCG, Warmachine Tactics, and Boss Monster, digital hoping the quick app experience would make the game more enjoyable [spoiler: it did not]), and 5 of which were gaming accessories (playing cards, dice, inserts, Man vs Meeple). Brings the total actual tabletop games supported to 58. Some are among my all-time favorite games (Scythe, Santorini, Orleans Deluxe, Anachrony), and others (but surprisingly few) have been a total whiffs I don't much care to play again (Boss Monster, which was my first tabletop KS ever, Overseers... and that's about it). Some are definitely better than others, but almost any game I have received from Kickstarter is a game that I'd be happy to pull out and play with the right group. Most of them have gone on to be available at retail so supporting their Kickstarters may have been unnecessary, but you can easily get into a chicken-and-the-egg debate there, so who knows.

Of the 58 games, 17 of them are completed campaigns I'm awaiting fulfillment for ranging from 5 months late (one single campaign, "Henchmania", my worst offender by far of the entire bunch in 5 years), to stuff scheduled for early 2018.

5 of them are active campaigns running concurrently right now: Founders of Gloomhaven, Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done, ASOIAF Miniatures, Feudum: The Queen's Army, and Container: 10th Anniversary. Pretty confident in my inevitable enjoyment of each and every one of those.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 27, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I want these

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Re: the disposability of board games, I actually had this conversation with a friend of mine recently with the recent trend to trick out games. He's been building inserts for games and buying nicer components and he says its really done a lot to curb the "new game" instinct - as much as I hate to admit it, buying things feels good. You get to anticipate the delivery, you get to leaf through a new rulebook, you get to present your cool new item to your friends, etc. He gets to experience a lot of that, but for games he knows he loves and wants to play more of. It's part of the reason I'm thinking of investing in a Keyflower insert even though I don't really need one since it cuts out a few minutes of setup and it's a nice little item to own.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Countblanc posted:

I want these

PM me. Survey Aug 2nd. I do want to get a copy, and they promised discounts for multiple.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Whos got something to say about Forbidden Stars? I recognise I'll not be able to justifiably buy TI3 but I really really wanna.

Does FS make a reasonable substitute?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Sleekly posted:

Whos got something to say about Forbidden Stars? I recognise I'll not be able to justifiably buy TI3 but I really really wanna.

It's the best board game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Being honest, I think there is also a recency bias because gaming has become very disposable. When I was young (25+ years ago), we played games like Space Hulk over and over partially because we were poor, but also because there weren't a lot of new games to buy.

Now, whenever I go to a gaming group, what they played a month ago is old, and they're always playing the newest thing.

Yeah, I've definitely found that to be the case. My problem is that there are constantly new games coming out that I want to play and I can usually only get people together once a week to actually play them. (And that's a lot more often than many people can manage.) I try to cycle back to games periodically so they're not quite so disposable but that treadmill continues.

Campaign games have helped a lot to keep things coming back to the table. We've beaten a Pathfinder Adventure Card Game adventure path (albeit only the first of the four that are now out), Pandemic Legacy, and sunk almost every session since February into Gloomhaven, and we've revisited Sherlock Holmes and Mythos Tales repeatedly. But that still leaves plenty of titles languishing on my shelves. A few not even played once, still. :(

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The End posted:

It's the best board game.

My guts say thats not quite true but also that it seems to be a very good game. HMMMMM

gently caress it it'll resell later if I hate it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
The irony is I'll probably get more plays of the explicitly disposable Pandemic Legacy than I do most games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I bit on the 49% off Pandemic Legacy....are there any gotchas I need to be aware of when opening the box for the first time? I intend to keep me and my group spoiler free and follow the Legacy mechanics to the letter. I assume when I open the box, the rule book will make it super clear what I can and can't open?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I bit on the 49% off Pandemic Legacy....are there any gotchas I need to be aware of when opening the box for the first time? I intend to keep me and my group spoiler free and follow the Legacy mechanics to the letter. I assume when I open the box, the rule book will make it super clear what I can and can't open?

You're not supposed to open the game box until it tells you to.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
You have to buy a red copy and a blue copy. Your first decision is which copy to play. Destroy the other copy.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

jivjov posted:

just be sure to give the rules a thorough read so you don't miss anything, stuff is a little scattered about

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Narrator posted:

You have to buy a red copy and a blue copy. Your first decision is which copy to play. Destroy the other copy.

I'm honestly kinda sad the two boxes are completely identical...the joining box art is neat

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

When you reach a legacy card that says stop, read the text under the stop (but don't flip it over). And do the setup in the numbered order. That's all in the rules but easy to overlook or forget.

BGG had a spoilered-by-month FAQ you can read as you go if needed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

SlyFrog posted:

It also depends a lot on the country and region. Here in Argentina, even Catan is something only people who are into designer board games would even know by name - it's a game you'd only see at a dedicated board games store (and even then, board game stores tend to also sell poker, dice, boxed puzzles, pool tables and metegoles, so board games are a small part of their goods). It's great when you introduce something like Sushi Go Party to people who are used to Monopoly because they go crazy over the game - my old Sushi Go! copy had around 100 plays, easily, and Party is getting close to it (that reminds me I need to sleeve those cards).

Even with a decent income, I have to think things through A LOT when it comes to choosing which board games to buy, because they are even more prohibitively expensive here (I've said it before, but Sushi Go Party cost me 56 U$D so you bet your rear end I'm going to play the hell out of it.) I am honestly envious of how you guys get both easy access to boardgames and more reasonable prices than me. :shobon:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PerniciousKnid posted:

The irony is I'll probably get more plays of the explicitly disposable Pandemic Legacy than I do most games.

Pandemic Legacy dangles a carrot in front of you to continue playing it, is the thing. That ongoing sense of "what's going to happen next?" does a lot to encourage repeat play.

I'm guilty of owning more board games than I'm probably ever going to be able to wear out the way that once upon a time my friends and I wore out a copy of Risk 2210 playing it repeatedly week after week for months on end. In large part this is, as SlyFrog said, because back then there wasn't an embarrassment of riches when it came to contemporary designer boardgames. The other part of it is that unfortunately I just don't have the free time or close-knit social circle of people as similarly into boardgames as I am to be able to play games like that week after week after week. I kinda stopped going to board game night at the FLGS after a number of people that I'd sort of adopted as regulars with shared tastes stopped coming around (one moved, one just stopped showing up, one got big into political activism) and I admit that sort of killed a lot of my enthusiasm. We'd been in the middle of, appropriate to the discussion, a Pandemic Legacy playthrough that unceremoniously ended partway through (the actual drawback of Legacy games is you'd better make drat sure that you have a group that's in it for the long haul, I now basically have a wasted game on my hands), I'd taught them all how to play a lot of games like Argent and Kemet so there was very little overhead to sitting down and gaming, we could just set up and go, and tbh while part of me enjoys teaching people new games there's a part of me that gets kind of tired of doing so or having to cajole people into giving something like Argent a try because it looks intimidatingly complex, so lately I've been playing a lot more video games instead.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Azran posted:

It also depends a lot on the country and region. Here in Argentina, even Catan is something only people who are into designer board games would even know by name - it's a game you'd only see at a dedicated board games store (and even then, board game stores tend to also sell poker, dice, boxed puzzles, pool tables and metegoles, so board games are a small part of their goods). It's great when you introduce something like Sushi Go Party to people who are used to Monopoly because they go crazy over the game - my old Sushi Go! copy had around 100 plays, easily, and Party is getting close to it (that reminds me I need to sleeve those cards).

Even with a decent income, I have to think things through A LOT when it comes to choosing which board games to buy, because they are even more prohibitively expensive here (I've said it before, but Sushi Go Party cost me 56 U$D so you bet your rear end I'm going to play the hell out of it.) I am honestly envious of how you guys get both easy access to boardgames and more reasonable prices than me. :shobon:

:cripes:

You need to save up for a trip to the states so you can just buy boardgames cheap. Either that or look for some kind of proxy service to ship it to Argentina for you.

For example:

https://www.myus.com/arg/
http://www.borderlinx.com/AR/en/

And just either ask if they can make an account on Miniature Market or something for you, so you can just scurry away games til you get over $100 for free shipping, and then bulk mail that poo poo.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

jivjov posted:

Don't open all of the boxes and sticker packs until the game tells you... Apparently some people unpack the box and immediately start opening everything and stickering the rule book immediately.

Many people miss or forget about the trigger that will happen part way through the first game. Make sure you fully read the STOP cards.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The only game I've played so
Much it wore out is BSG. I needed to sleeve the cards because the backs were so worn with unique wear patterns we knew what cards were being played in. The box has nearly destructed.

Gloomhaven is heading this direction though in part because someone's dog tried to eat one of the character boxes

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Sleekly posted:

Not really. The two things are very different. FS is a game of pushing forward and blowing poo poo up, it has really strong momentum and a transient sense of ownership. TI3 is the definitive boardgame 4x

FS feels very modern and every faction relies on quite different strategies that are not so easy to spot. The drawback is that it's crying out for an expansion that will never happen. You get a taste and you can see all these wonderful opportunities that will never be realised.

TI3 feels like an old game before many modern mechanics were invented. I love it but it's quite rough and some expansion modules don't work very well (distant suns can disadvantage a player so badly on their first turn that they won't win). I think most people end up playing with some mishmash of expansion modules and house rules now. There is no other game like it out there but you can't ever play it on a whim ( except at low player counts )

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The only game I've played so
Much it wore out is BSG. I needed to sleeve the cards because the backs were so worn with unique wear patterns we knew what cards were being played in. The box has nearly destructed.

Gloomhaven is heading this direction though in part because someone's dog tried to eat one of the character boxes

Dont forget the fact that the box itself is flimsy as poo poo, from what I hear. I plan on taping the gently caress out of mine when I get it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

kinkouin posted:

:cripes:

You need to save up for a trip to the states so you can just buy boardgames cheap. Either that or look for some kind of proxy service to ship it to Argentina for you.

For example:

https://www.myus.com/arg/
http://www.borderlinx.com/AR/en/

And just either ask if they can make an account on Miniature Market or something for you, so you can just scurry away games til you get over $100 for free shipping, and then bulk mail that poo poo.

Pretty sure most stores (such as MM) only have free shipping for continental US states, unless I didn't get what you meant. :v: If not, most shipping rates here start at $60-80. The real issue here is customs - customs can and will detain any package that's either over 2kg or costs more than $200. In that case, you have to go to Buenos Aires and hope the paperwork can be done in a single day or hire one of a number of services that can get your stuff from them (but that normally involves a hefty fee). Even if you were to do all that paperwork, you get fined an extra 50% of the total value of the package. There's a base fee for just importing, but that's waived as long as you are still using your 5 tax-free imports you get per year.

And you better hope your package didn't disappear by the time you get to the customs agency - some items (especially technology but also clothing) can just get stolen. Back when I kickstarted Villages of Valeria, I went for the Deluxe Edition since it had really cheap shipping - I reduced my pledge to just the PnP because I feared that someone at customs would stole it. Daily Games Magic told me they'd still send me the playmat, but after it got to Argentina, the post service said they had lost it.

Anyways, I wasn't aware of those services! Thanks, gonna give it a look. I may be doing a trip to the US soon, if I can get over my fear of flying.

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 28, 2017

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Mojo Jojo posted:

Not really. The two things are very different. FS is a game of pushing forward and blowing poo poo up, it has really strong momentum and a transient sense of ownership. TI3 is the definitive boardgame 4x

FS feels very modern and every faction relies on quite different strategies that are not so easy to spot. The drawback is that it's crying out for an expansion that will never happen. You get a taste and you can see all these wonderful opportunities that will never be realised.

TI3 feels like an old game before many modern mechanics were invented. I love it but it's quite rough and some expansion modules don't work very well (distant suns can disadvantage a player so badly on their first turn that they won't win). I think most people end up playing with some mishmash of expansion modules and house rules now. There is no other game like it out there but you can't ever play it on a whim ( except at low player counts )

I love the hell out of Space Empires 4x. But that doesn't have any political grandeur or anything like that. Its dry as hell.

Grand strategy is what I crave and I'm getting to know outdated maps of Europe a little too well

Myrmes looks interesting and conflicty and may trick people who've never heard the words 'step loss' one after the other.

Is it any good?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I finally finished my reference card for my fan army for Neuroshima Hex! :woop::wooper::woop:

....now to figure out how the hell to actually share it with people! I dunno if I should just make like a composite of all the tokens and put it in a png file and tell people to print that out or what. I assume I'd do that but idk.

e: art is placeholder btw

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Tried out Terraforming Mars yesterday.

It good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Won my first game of WSDV! Hooray. Speaking of which, BGG is having their 3rd annual Wir Sind Das Volk! League, if anyone is interested. I signed up cause hey, gently caress it, I'm pretty bad at it bud drat do I still love this game. I'm still up for as many asynchronous games as people wanna play, I'm still funemployed(hopefully not shortly though...!) so I usually check it a few times a day.

Also, anybody wanna get in on another online game of Food Chain Magnate? Let me know, I'm pretty free all of next week and most of this weekend. :bubblewoop: