Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

No Safe Word posted:

In McCain's home state nonetheless, I'm sure he's deeply concerned

Article states he was a client there and aged out of being able to use the services

Edit: Toby Tax :shittydog::shittypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do you think Saramucci has ever said "crushing some pussy"

Like, this week or?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

the bill needs 60 votes to proceed because it can't pass through reconciliation

I wouldn't count on that. We don't have a final bill until the great turtle declares we have a final bill to vote on. If there's a problem with the parliamentarian, they can modify the bill until they get something that fits within the rules. Not having a score is a problem, but they can always put up some bullshit cobbled-together score sent over by a Trump appointee and say "we'll go with this instead of the CBO" like they had been planning to do a week or two ago until they realized they didn't have 50 votes and didn't bother.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

Like, this week or?

Good point

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Wait if it goes to conference it needs 60 votes? But if the the skinny repeal is voted on as is it doesn't?

Skinny repeal as has been described so far contains provisions that are prohibited by the Byrd Rule and don't qualify for inclusion in a reconciliation bill (the mechanism for passing something with 50+1).

If the conference bill contains any of those provisions (many of which were cornerstones to the House's original bill), that will require 60 votes as well.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Probably in the context of killing actual cats, absolutely.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rigel posted:

I wouldn't count on that. We don't have a final bill until the great turtle declares we have a final bill to vote on. If there's a problem with the parliamentarian, they can modify the bill until they get something that fits within the rules. Not having a score is a problem, but they can always put up some bullshit cobbled-together score sent over by a Trump appointee and say "we'll go with this instead of the CBO" like they had been planning to do a week or two ago until they realized they didn't have 50 votes and didn't bother.

They're referring to the Wall bill that passed the House

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Wait if it goes to conference it needs 60 votes? But if the the skinny repeal is voted on as is it doesn't?

Different bill, they're talking about DOD Appropriations bill that had wall funding attached. It will need Democratic support in the Senate and will change.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

What's the time limit on debate for this bill?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wait so if the skinny repeal bill needs 60 votes no matter how they slice it why are we worried about it?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They're referring to the Wall bill that passed the House

oh, well that probably does need 60 votes. Building a wall is not a strict budget thing, it clearly has political and policy changes outside of funding, taxes, and spending limits.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Inglonias posted:

What's the time limit on debate for this bill?

20 hours, which people were saying that they have to vote around 8 PM? I don't think they can just table it and try again later since they got the MTP.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Wait so if the skinny repeal bill needs 60 votes no matter how they slice it why are we worried about it?

the skinny repeal only needs 50 votes (probably)

the dod appropriations bill needs 60.

you should worry about the former and not the latter right now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

No one loving knows anything at this point

It might require 60, it might not, they might rework the the bad passages to be Byrd compliant, they might just remove those bits from the bill

At this point, no one knows anything and nothing is final

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

and to add onto that, if there's a parliamentary problem in the skinny repeal, the turtle can probably fix it with minor changes.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

I think we finally found one of those "chads" the incel crowd won't shut up about.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

the skinny repeal only needs 50 votes (probably)

the dod appropriations bill needs 60.

you should worry about the former and not the latter right now.

Okay I misread. This is loving bananas, they're giving a drunk monkey a handgun because they don't want the cops to see them with it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rigel posted:

oh, well that probably does need 60 votes. Building a wall is not a strict budget thing, it clearly has political and policy changes outside of funding, taxes, and spending limits.

Even if it were they only get two reconciliation bills and they're not about to waste one of them on Trump's invisible wall.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

no it's not a byrd rule thing, it's that the bill with wall funding isn't a reconciliation bill at all so there are no avenues to get it to a 50 vote threshold

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

conservative twitter is p fun right now

https://twitter.com/DavidAFrench/status/890703815770427393

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

no it's not a byrd rule thing, it's that the bill with wall funding isn't a reconciliation bill at all so there are no avenues to get it to a 50 vote threshold

Which explains Schumer telling McCain that the Dems might filibuster unless the skinny repeal is killed.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Police seem to think this is a former client of the center, so be on the lookout for suspicious LGBTQ people.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/890702487044456449

Okay a few points here. First, this is not for a Trump-appointed position it's one that is selected by the DHS Secretary.
Second, this is the position David Clarke claimed he was offered.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/URnvrwrong/status/890704747069661188

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Right now, more than anything, I'm looking forward to Trump's weekend tweetstorm. After the complete clusterfuck this week, it should be a thing of beauty.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not sure why but it seems like nothing interesting happens in the House, the Senate is where to go

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Right now, more than anything, I'm looking forward to Trump's weekend tweetstorm. After the complete clusterfuck this week, it should be a thing of beauty.

I mean, with no exaggeration, it will just be him self-fellating on how he successfully repealed Obamacare.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

:thunk:

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
So the whole idea is to pass something, anything, and begin a process of working with the House to craft a bill that both sides will vote on, right? Maybe this is a stupid question, but couldn't the House and Senate GOP just, y'know, get together on their own and hash out a bill? Is there a reason that it HAS to go through all this nonsense first?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Recycle Bin posted:

So the whole idea is to pass something, anything, and begin a process of working with the House to craft a bill that both sides will vote on, right? Maybe this is a stupid question, but couldn't the House and Senate GOP just, y'know, get together on their own and hash out a bill? Is there a reason that it HAS to go through all this nonsense first?

I think it's because they tried that and got nowhere.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not sure why but it seems like nothing interesting happens in the House, the Senate is where to go

The house is fun when there's a highly anticipated vote. They are angrier, barely clinging to the veneer of being friendly to the other side, and watching the numbers tick upward during the vote is dramatic.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Recycle Bin posted:

Because they know nothing they could come up with would pass reconciliation standards. It's a shell game. They're hoping to pass anything in such a way that everyone can claim they didn't do it.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

I can't tell what's supposed to make sense anymore.

Is this how McCain goes through life?

:psyboom:

TheBalor posted:

Because they know nothing they could come up with would pass reconciliation standards. It's a shell game. They're hoping to pass anything in such a way that everyone can claim they didn't do it.

Basically a game of Hot Potato, but with a nasty piece of poo poo that can kill millions of innocents.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 27, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Recycle Bin posted:

Because there is literally no version of these bills that doesn't boil down to hot poisoned coal tar garbage. No rational person would ever proposed any of this. It's all an exercise in upward failure and hot potato style buck passing.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
https://twitter.com/KateAurthur/status/890702832310943744

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Recycle Bin posted:

there's two main things going on:

1) this is plan, like, ZZA. all of the other plans have failed. they never, ever, intended to wind up here, and they are just desperately trying to keep the ball in the air while they think of some way to make this work. sure, they could have hammered out a plan ahead of time, but they didn't intend to wind up here

2) the hope with a conference commitee is that, up till now, no votes have been "final" - you could always say you're voting no but if you fix it, maybe we can talk, but that a conference committee bill would be "final" - either you vote for it, or obamacare repeal is dead. problem is, as everyone has cottoned onto, this is not true - the House can just pass the "skinny repeal" bill instead if the conference committee bill dies (as it's likely to do).

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Because there is literally no version of these bills that doesn't boil down to hot poisoned coal tar garbage. No rational person would ever proposed any of this. It's all an exercise in upward failure and hot potato style buck passing.

Or, in short, everything every republican has said about health care for the last nine years is an absolute, shameless lie.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

the senate is set up to give individual senators large amounts of independent power

the house is set up to try to make the speaker hold all of the power - it is a relatively rare situation that you have something like the HFC acting as a quasi-third party that the speaker has to woo and keep on his side

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

there's two main things going on:

1) this is plan, like, ZZA. all of the other plans have failed. they never, ever, intended to wind up here, and they are just desperately trying to keep the ball in the air while they think of some way to make this work. sure, they could have hammered out a plan ahead of time, but they didn't intend to wind up here

2) the hope with a conference commitee is that, up till now, no votes have been "final" - you could always say you're voting no but if you fix it, maybe we can talk, but that a conference committee bill would be "final" - either you vote for it, or obamacare repeal is dead. problem is, as everyone has cottoned onto, this is not true - the House can just pass the "skinny repeal" bill instead if the conference committee bill dies (as it's likely to do).

Note that these are problems that can literally only come up when you have a majority of senators acting in bad faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Covok posted:

I mean, with no exaggeration, it will just be him self-fellating on how he successfully repealed Obamacare.

Nah, after Mooch's meltdown I'll bet we see something about leaks as well.

• Locked thread