Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

The big problem really is, with it, that it is pretty unearned and doesn't carry the same kind of weight and impact that the original did.

But yeah it's super intentional and they built up to it. It just doesn't work as well.

I agree, it definitely doesn't land. I just don't think it was "copying" as much as an attempt to invoke it that didn't quite work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey I just want to remind everybody that if you love New Who you love trash.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
kk

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey I just want to remind everybody that if you love New Who you love trash.

Hot takes from a Star Trek thread poster.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I mean, how many mods were Doctor Who fans and pedophiles?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The gently caress is it with Star Trek and Pedophiles anyways

Did Wesley like, hit this whole subculture I neither know nor care about?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So apparently Thirteen is going to have a lesbian love affair.

:getin:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
:jackbud:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
From noted producer and writer of Doctor Who, Michele Gomez no less.

Truly, the most reliable of sources.

Though seriously it'd be weird if 13 wasn't into women at all. The Doctor's gender is fluid, that wouldn't do anything to their sexuality.

The Master wanted to gently caress the Doctor when he had a dick and when she had a vagina.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Gomez is just trolling in-character as Missy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, it sounds like Gomez was just making a joke.

I just hope they don't do another Doctor/companion romance. If they want Thirteen to have a fling with Queen Isabella or something though, they should go right ahead.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

Gomez is just trolling in-character as Missy.

Michelle Gomez is the modern inheritor of the "Tom Baker never had any lines they just filmed him speaking normally" meme

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I only recently found out her husband is Jack Davenport of Pirates Of The Caribbean and Coupling fame which for some reason seems absurd.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I for one trust a wacky woman who jokes around and plays a wacky woman who jokes around.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Thought this might be of interest to the thead; yonks ago, in a previous incarnation of this thread, I mentioned the Doctor Who Complete History book things

(broad synopses of the episodes, their production, cast/crew recollections, etc - these things)

Well the publisher just had a survey up with possible ideas for other subscription collection things - among them were reissues of the Target novelisations, and a Big Finish collection with mock-up covers. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any screenshots :negative:

The other things were audiobook recordings of the classic episodes, hardback reissues of the Doctor Who comics, and a really terrible fact-file type thing.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYfSwTlM74

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

*wiping away tear* No, Peter... I won't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Crossover with legends of tomorrow

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I just hope they don't do another Doctor/companion romance. If they want Thirteen to have a fling with Queen Isabella or something though, they should go right ahead.

Looking forward to the crossover with DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

Edit: haha, ninja'd

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Daily Star can be safely discounted, it is like a downmarket National Enquirer with extra tits!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gaz-L posted:

I only recently found out her husband is Jack Davenport of Pirates Of The Caribbean and Coupling fame which for some reason seems absurd.

Well, Moffat wrote Coupling, so I guess he must have run into Gomez at some point.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yup: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-27/14-years-ago-steven-moffat-and-michelle-gomez-talked-doctor-who-at-a-party

quote:

"She recalls and I do not – when we were all out in Montreux in 2001 and Coupling won the Silver Rose. We all partied, so drunk we could hardly speak, and I said, 'I swear I'm gonna make Doctor Who one day.' I like the fact that this conversation took place between the future showrunner and future Master."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, apparently her and Jack have been married for nearly 20 years, so they must've been together during Coupling.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

At the time I had some problems with Rusty Davis's writing, but it's grown on me over the years. I especially appreciate Eccleston's performance; its a shame he didn't really want to stick around because while Tennant is a good actor and did his material well, I don't think he really fit what the doctor had been as well as Eccleston. I guess it's always been the rule that each actor and era has a different take on things, so that's fine. Plus he got to hang out with the Best Companion, Donna Noble!

Holy poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

I'd more or less be willing to watch Voyage Of The Damned again for Max Capricorn, who's delightfully petty as a villain. And the moment when the Doctor is held aloft by two angel robots was very funny, although I forget if it was meant to be.

I will always love K-Mart Davros :allears:

docbeard posted:

Human Resources: Hahahahaha, I love it. I haven't really listened to the Eighth Doctor Adventures line before, so a lot of the revelations about Lucie were lost on me, but okay, quite often I find that stories with a big clever high concept (weaponized corporate culture in this case) try to get by on just having a big clever high concept and the whole exercise just ends up feeling a bit hollow in the end. (Some of Robert Shearman's work hits me this way, for example. Not all, but some.) I bring that up because Human Resources isn't that way at all. The characterization and storytelling is up to par with any of the best stories, and that makes all the difference. And also, while I knew going in that the Cybermen were involved, how they were involved was a genuine surprise, and a pleasant one.

I am so happy whenever anybody listens to Human Resources. Everybody please listen to Human Resources!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody please listen to Human Resources!

In the place of an empty quotation, I am writing these words.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

docbeard posted:

In the place of an empty quotation, I am writing these words.

Thirded by me!

I LOVE The Doctor's argument with the Cybermen at the start of part 2. "WE MUZZZZT SURVIVE!" "Why? To what end?"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Why are we spoiler tagging Human Resources but not The Harvest?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

Why are we spoiler tagging Human Resources but not The Harvest?

Because the cliffhanger/twist is loving fantastic and the more people who go into it not knowing what is coming, the better.

Gaz-L posted:

Thirded by me!

I LOVE The Doctor's argument with the Cybermen at the start of part 2. "WE MUZZZZT SURVIVE!" "Why? To what end?"

It absolutely nails my own personal take on them too, so I love it all the more for that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Started listening to Classic Doctors/New Monsters Volume 2 and within the first four minutes we've got the Fourth Doctor loving about on dodgems/bumper cars while people with guns yell at him :allears:

Edit: First story is really good, great lines by the Doctor and Tom nails the performance. His final lines in the episode really hit home.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 28, 2017

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Because the cliffhanger/twist is loving fantastic and the more people who go into it not knowing what is coming, the better.

That's equally true for The Harvest - which happens not to spoil the story on the cover! Like, unless you get handed Human Resources part 1 on CD, or use Adblock to turn off the covers when buying it, I'm not sure how easy keeping it unspoiled is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

cargohills posted:

That's equally true for The Harvest - which happens not to spoil the story on the cover! Like, unless you get handed Human Resources part 1 on CD, or use Adblock to turn off the covers when buying it, I'm not sure how easy keeping it unspoiled is.

I'm going to listen to The Harvest again. Man I wish Dan Abnett did more stuff with Big Finish.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Only ten minutes into Spare Parts and I already want an animated version because what I'm hearing sounds fantastic

Someone go send the BBC a few million dollars for a proper animated adaptation, frankly because the style they used for things like Invasion and Power of the Daleks would never properly convey the correct feeling

And then an extra million for The Chimes of Midnight as well

drat, I wish McGann had been given a proper chance on the revival, because his voice is on par with Capaldi's hair for sheer sexiness

Guess I'll go watch Night of the Doctor again

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jerusalem posted:

Started listening to Classic Doctors/New Monsters Volume 2 and within the first four minutes we've got the Fourth Doctor loving about on dodgems/bumper cars while people with guns yell at him :allears:

Edit: First story is really good, great lines by the Doctor and Tom nails the performance. His final lines in the episode really hit home.

Just finished the 3rd one and it is best one so far. I can't believe they made Carrionites into credible opponents. They were such a joke in TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

Like, unless you get handed Human Resources part 1 on CD, or use Adblock to turn off the covers when buying it, I'm not sure how easy keeping it unspoiled is.

I bought it on Big Finish as part of a season collection, and the thumbnail images were so small I didn't see the cover properly till AFTER I'd listened to it. It came as a very pleasant surprise to me :)

adhuin posted:

Just finished the 3rd one and it is best one so far. I can't believe they made Carrionites into credible opponents. They were such a joke in TV.

I'm gonna guess that's the Colin Baker one, because generally with these multi-Doctor stories his are the best :)

His Judoon story in the first volume was really drat good too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I bought it on Big Finish as part of a season collection, and the thumbnail images were so small I didn't see the cover properly till AFTER I'd listened to it. It came as a very pleasant surprise to me :)

I think I first heard it on BBC7/Radio 4 Extra so I had no idea either. Wish they still did the 7th Dimension slot every night instead of just at weekends.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Vinylshadow posted:

Only ten minutes into Spare Parts and I already want an animated version because what I'm hearing sounds fantastic

Someone go send the BBC a few million dollars for a proper animated adaptation, frankly because the style they used for things like Invasion and Power of the Daleks would never properly convey the correct feeling

Have someone else play the Fifth Doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Why? Peter's great in it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

But their episode was the one that made my stepdaughter jump behind the couch. To this day she still refuses to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/in-celebration-of-david-warner

Big Finish is having a David Warner sale.

• Locked thread