Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Kiggles posted:

ha ha ha ha

Okay well that's fantastic, I figured as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I love eating for felyne feet so much

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there any chance of getting a new weapon type?

Not in this game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'd be happy for the crafting list on the 'newer' weapons to not be 1/8 as varied as the old favorites.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god those bowguns look good, I'm a happy gunner looking at those trailers.

That hammer 'bop bop bop SPINSLAM' combo is new though, isn't it? That looks pretty hilarious.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So upon second viewing, blood seems to be still in and turned off in the weapon demos. Check out the final bit in the bow video; looks like they forgot to turn it off for that one.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

So upon second viewing, blood seems to be still in and turned off in the weapon demos. Check out the final bit in the bow video; looks like they forgot to turn it off for that one.

Good eye.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bombadilillo posted:

I'd be happy for the crafting list on the 'newer' weapons to not be 1/8 as varied as the old favorites.

Well they actually have to make new models and textures for this game for the old weapons, so you'll probably get your wish in the form of old weapons having fewer options.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Countblanc posted:

Well they actually have to make new models and textures for this game for the old weapons, so you'll probably get your wish in the form of old weapons having fewer options.

Nooooo, a monkey conga paw wish

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Triarii posted:

I was just about to say, goddamn

https://gfycat.com/PowerlessQuarrelsomeEuropeanfiresalamander

Edit: Whoa that's huge

Holy poo poo.

With these new weapons videos, who cares about not getting XX.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

I do? :(

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Holy poo poo.

Considering we're probably a full year off from release, I do.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kiggles posted:

Considering we're probably a full year off from release, I do.

Early 2018 I would assume is around March.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Circle Nine posted:

I love eating for felyne feet so much

New in Monster Hunter: World is the Mantle System! With this system, you too can feel the power of super armor, thanks to the might of the ROCK STEADY MANTLE! This equipable item functions as a timed buff with a cooldown and gives you ULTIMATE POWER! Via giving you super armor so yo rear end doesn't get knocked over. They use it in one of the gameplay videos, I think the english one but I forget. One can presume that it will work versus player attacks as well as monster attacks, although we don't know all the details about mantles yet. All we know is you can equip two, they have a duration when used, and maybe they have a cooldown before re-use? That last one is just speculation from UI elements on my part, although it would be logical.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zore posted:

Because in a physics engine its one of the best ways to determine things like collision?

gently caress, check out a GDQ some time. If you uncap the framerate in basically any game you start doing things like clip through walls once it gets high enough.

This is kinda old but I think it's interesting enough to say here. On nes and snes, it was hard to do collision detection quickly on their old as hell cpu. What they did was, on the graphics card, they put a "sprite layer" that the cpu tells to draw sprites, and *it* reports back whether those sprites collide with any other sprites. So changing the speed of the graphics card changed collision detection because it is literally the thing doing the collision detection. I don't think this has been done this way in anything since.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

Holy poo poo.

Sup.

I still think World still looks like shite. Still fighting for Double Cross. Still gonna buy MHXXS next month, localization announcement or no. Stlll not gonna give World a second of my time since they seem fine with making GBS threads on the people who made the series popular in the west in the first place. Still convinced enough that they won't localize it that I stand by my :toxx: if it is. I'll happily eat my account ban if it means getting to loving play more Monster Hunter.

I'm playing Double Cross on the Switch, with or without an announcement. Capcom maintaining radio silence is the dumbest thing they ever could in this situation. Aside from a curiously worded tweet, they've been quiet on the matter. What genius thought splitting the already small fanbase and increasing toxicity between the two sides in an already kind-of-lovely community of elitists would be smart? Look on their Twitter feed. Count the #MHXXForTheWest replies per post. People aren't loving happy about anything that's going on.

There's no conflict anywhere and that's what makes all of this even more infuriating. World is releasing next year on the PS4. Double Cross has been out for awhile, with the Switch version releasing in late August. No conflict of system OR release date. I get wanting to promote the next 'big' thing, but if they have any plans on MHXX coming over whatsoever, staying completely silent isn't the right way to go about it, because all it's doing is pissing off the side that wants more traditional MH over the flashy action of World. All they have to do - literally all they have to do - is say "We're focused on World right now but we do plan to localize MHXX later!"

Everyone would be happy! People who think World look rad as gently caress would get to be excited about the new direction the series seems to be going in. Those who prefer the (relatively) slower old style would get to be excited because they would also be able to play MH on their TVs. And that would give people who want both something to play while waiting on World to get released! Absolutely loving no one would be as annoyed about World as they are if we got something - anything - that said they weren't just 100% abandoning Nintendo fans and their systems.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
lol

e: For real, I wish we were getting XX as well but World looks fine and

ChibiSoma posted:

I still think World still looks like shite. Still fighting for Double Cross. Still gonna buy MHXXS next month, localization announcement or no. Stlll not gonna give World a second of my time since they seem fine with making GBS threads on the people who made the series popular in the west in the first place. Still convinced enough that they won't localize it that I stand by my :toxx: if it is. I'll happily eat my account ban if it means getting to loving play more Monster Hunter.
makes you sound loving ridiculous.

ChibiSoma posted:

Those who prefer the (relatively) slower old style would get to be excited because they would also be able to play MH on their TVs.
What are you even talking about with this?

Olive! fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 27, 2017

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:qq:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Capcom super hosed up by not just releasing these weapon trailers first thing.

I don't think they've hosed up on MHXX yet though in that it'd be the norm to get it next summer and would have been unusual to get it this year. If we don't get it next summer though then, yeah, they hosed up. If the HD rumble ends up being cool enough I might just import.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's like everyone is talking about the new hotness, final fantasy 12, and one guy is still really mad that we didn't get final fantasy 10: international edition and won't drop it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's like everyone is talking about the new hotness, final fantasy 12, and one guy is still really mad that we didn't get final fantasy 10: international edition and won't drop it.

not really at all

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That is a weird thing to get mad about considering...

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

boo hoo the west only gets the simultaneously releasing badass looking new step in the monster hunter franchise and not the underbaked expansion pack of an expansion pack

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is this getting a delayed PC release for some reason, or is capcom doing something right

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Countblanc posted:

is this getting a delayed PC release for some reason

World? Yes.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

boo hoo the west only gets the simultaneously releasing badass looking new step in the monster hunter franchise and not the underbaked expansion pack of an expansion pack

but cats

also that's a pretty weird false equivalency you're making considering there's no reason we can only have one but not the other besides capcom being capcom

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 28, 2017

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ChibiSoma posted:

if they have any plans on MHXX coming over whatsoever, staying completely silent isn't the right way to go about it, because all it's doing is pissing off the side that wants more traditional MH over the flashy action of World.

This is the weirdest complaint given that Styles and Arts make X and XX way, way flashier than anything we've seen of World.

Ah, yes, traditional MH.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if capcom is smart they'll make prowler mode dlc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

why not just release it at the same time uuuuuugh

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

Prowlers in HD I would accept.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

They're not

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

if capcom is smart

also this has never been the case in the history of time

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

What idiot is complaining about getting a simultaneous worldwide release for Monster Hunter 5, who would be that oh it's ChibiSoma. How yah doing Chibi, been a while since you got run off the forums for being a whiny, creepy weirdo. How's things?

Anyway, looks like an english version of the weapons demos came out, with new explanations.

Edit: Seems like it's mostly just descriptions of the weapons and not explanations of the new moves.

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 28, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Ok but when do we move onto the backlash of the backlash of the backlash of not releasing XX in the west

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm jealous of that dinosaur's hair.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ojetor posted:

This is the weirdest complaint given that Styles and Arts make X and XX way, way flashier than anything we've seen of World.

Ah, yes, traditional MH.

reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS5z0_wqBv0

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have a Switch and live in Japan. I am thinking of picking up the Japanese Monster Hunter Switch for my son's birthday. How difficult will it be for us to get through Monster Hunter XX if neither of us can read Kanji and only have a limited understanding of Hiragana/Katakana? We've both played Monster Hunter before but my son was too young to really get into the game back when 3 came out for the 3DS. He managed to make his way through Dark Souls 3 with a guide that showed him what items were what. I imagine there will be something like that for this game right?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I have a Switch and live in Japan. I am thinking of picking up the Japanese Monster Hunter Switch for my son's birthday. How difficult will it be for us to get through Monster Hunter XX if neither of us can read Kanji and only have a limited understanding of Hiragana/Katakana? We've both played Monster Hunter before but my son was too young to really get into the game back when 3 came out for the 3DS. He managed to make his way through Dark Souls 3 with a guide that showed him what items were what. I imagine there will be something like that for this game right?

The hardest part of playing on the 3DS for me is trying to read the more complex kanji on the small screen, so if he was able to manage Souls he should be able to manage MH I imagine. Kiranico is good about having Japanese and English names on the same page, so it's not too hard to cross-reference and figure out what you're looking for in terms of items or quests. Knowing Katakana at least would be helpful though, since Monster names are all in it, but if you just remember the shapes that's fine too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Holy poo poo.

I do! Still no Prowlers. Where are my Prowlers, Capcom? If you're not going to let me be a rodeo cat, then let me be a HD cat!

And let's face it, I would totally buy both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Ojetor posted:

Ah, yes, traditional MH.
I don't care what the haters say, my favorite build in MHGen was gunlance striker style with all the mobility arts, and deviant GL with armor that increased my art guage gain by like 45%. I was zooming around the arenas with glee

• Locked thread