Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
But, isn't saying not to pass it a signal telling them they can, ironically? No, really, hear me out: if they think it won't pass the house, then they might feel safe symbolically passing it now. Are you guys feeling me here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/890717932946247681

Bingo.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I am very curious to see the reaction of McCain et. al to Ryan's statement. This seems decent, but it's also not a hard ruling out of passing the skinny repeal, either ...?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

what's the deadline here?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wow putting % in front of the number is triggering me

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The House is Scum vol CCXVI

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/890717215087087619

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I am very curious to see the reaction of McCain et. al to Ryan's statement. This seems decent, but it's also not a hard ruling out of passing the skinny repeal, either ...?

technically, it's not even a hard commitment to go to conference

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

That guy is well known for playing a liar though, hard to trust.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

skylined! posted:

Did the white house communications director really call the president's chief of staff and former chair of the RNC 'reince penis' or did my brain eat a poop today

On the plus side, I've stopped parsing his name as "Prince Rebus" and now can only see "Rinse Penis"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Paul Ryan basically said "sure, OK we are willing to go to conference, and if the conference produces something, we'll let the Senate try to pass it before we act. If it fails though, then gently caress it, we're passing skinny repeal."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

So, what are the chances this results in anything?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

skylined! posted:

The House is Scum vol CCXVI

I wonder who thinks it's a good idea to go after Comey. I feel like the FBI has a basket full of info on multiple congressman.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

"We have no objections to the bill but we are not remotely cooperating unless you stop acting publicly embarrassed by it. Polish the turd and act proud of it and we'll cooperate. And by that I mean pass it immediately."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
All this Congress had to do was start by passing something popular that their donors wouldn't object to. Some high impact opener to get all the normals to say "oh, they're not that bad" and tune out. Federal medical MJ, raising the minimum wage by a dime, something like that. Then they'd be able to do whatever the gently caress they wanted. Instead they just dove headfirst into healthcare. And once this ends, either way, it's the starter pistol for the midterms.

They're so stupid. I never considered the possibility that they'd be this bad at this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yeah, I think that Ryan statement is basically calling Graham's bluff: it says and promises nothing, certainly not that the skinny bill will not become law and not really even a definite promise to go to conference

so, Ryan just lobbed it back at Graham and it's his move now

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has anyone found a actual reason on why the Republicans want to cut 40% from the CDC's immunization budget and doom thousands of people to agonizing death?

Like it's a billion dollars a year and it's a grant to the states?

Who proposed that?

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think this maybe a Covok kind of thing, but I'm starting to think this passing will fundamentally destroy the country. The collapse of a 5th of the economy combined with shrinking white demographic and an openly white nationalist executive and agreeable legislature and judiciary that is now openly attacking civil rights and a constant murmur of discrediting elections gives me the impression this is going to get worse. This is all going to get much, much worse.

quote:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why , loving , why? Why would you get rid of this

Literally an agent or Putin and you want America to collapse
Just imagine for a moment that you're a racist boomer retired or verging on retirement thats spent a lifetime being brainwashed by the most powerful leaders of the Republican party (Limbaugh & friends) that the sole functioning purpose of the federal government is a means for non-whites to overthrow civil society.

Ignore that that's incredibly stupid outside of schizophrenic fantasy (I'm willing to bet Prester Jane can confirm none of her issues have ever manifested something that stupid and incoherent), now consider this is a normal view for the Republican base, not a fringe view, a completely mainstream view that guides the legislative and executive agenda of conservatives.

Now riddle me this: how's the inevitable shut down going to go? Sanctions not being lifted and Russia playing hardball with Trump means he's probably going to reach peak sundown-nihilism.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Covok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Paul Ryan basically said "sure, OK we are willing to go to conference, and if the conference produces something, we'll let the Senate try to pass it before we act. If it fails though, then gently caress it, we're passing skinny repeal."

also, "willing" to go to conference is not a commitment to go to conference

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Basically they want the DOJ to make a Benghazi sized deal out of these batshit memes. Bring Alex Jones in as an expert witness maybe.
This is beyond absurd. Half that list is easily disproven infowars nonsense.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 28, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

They're so stupid. I never considered the possibility that they'd be this bad at this.

one ironic benefit of the tea party: none of them were elected because they were actually good at governing and legislating

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the statement is basically, "i will think about it, but all these problems are the senate's fault."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Let me clarify, what are the chances they actually get the special counsel they're seeking? Not that the special counsel does anything.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

farraday posted:

I'm convinced that McCain will be convinced.

Oh no, he'll be very concerned and vocally troubled by this sad turn of events. He'll find that this is all madness and it is a drat shame that nobody will act like an adult. He'll also question as to what happened to the fine Senate of old, perhaps also throwing copious shame and blame on the House. Paul Ryan can't fool the ol' Maverick that easy, and John McCain will make sure everyone knows it. Right after he votes YES on this horrible, terrible, disgusting, travesty of a bill.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Did this get posted?

https://twitter.com/thenation/status/890690529096331264

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Are we seriously going to pretend that the Clinton foundation wasn't a way for her to move around and hide money?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sneakster posted:

Now riddle me this: how's the inevitable shut down going to go? Sanctions not being lifted and Russia playing hardball with Trump means he's probably going to reach peak sundown-nihilism.

If we get to the point where Trump wants a permanent shutdown and default on the debt until his demands are met, then congress will eventually come to a veto-proof agreement.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Covok posted:

Let me clarify, what are the chances they actually get the special counsel they're seeking? Not that the special counsel does anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

My Twitter Account posted:

I thought defunding PP was one of those things they tossed because it couldn't be done through reconciliation?
Trying to balance it out by giving the money to community health clinics according to someone on twitter, who knows
https://twitter.com/shelleypowers/status/890651884830248961

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Are we seriously going to pretend that the Clinton foundation wasn't a way for her to move around and hide money?

who cares she ded

cool, can mnuchin go away too?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
"Hot potato" continues to be the best metaphor for this, and everything in that statement is about lobbing it back to the Senate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

n3wt posted:

Basically they want the DOJ to make a Benghazi sized deal out of these batshit memes. Bring Alex Jones in as an expert witness maybe.
This is beyond absurd. Half that list is easily disproven infowars nonsense.

Either that or a half-assed attempted to scare Dems from giving up on the Mueller investigation, maybe. "We have our scandal, your party has all these".

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

https://www.charitywatch.org/ratings-and-metrics/clinton-foundation/478

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Covok posted:

It seems to me that the House is pushing for Rosenstein to do it. All he's likely to do is roll his eyes and point a finger gun at his head.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blitz7x posted:

are we seriously going to pretend she isn't a witch

seriously

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Covok posted:

Zero.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Blitz7x posted:

These aren't black boxes that operate mysteriously, they have to file public reports and account for how they spend their money. We know Trump's foundation is a self-dealing sham that probably broke the law, because we can see it if we dig into it. We just didn't care until he won the election because lol, he's just the reality TV show host.

Before the election, a lot of people were rightfully saying that it was a shame that the Clinton Foundation might have to be suspended or shut down if she won because we could see that it was a legit charity doing charity things.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/stew_boss/status/890706331744714752

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Rigel posted:

These aren't black boxes that operate mysteriously, they have to file public reports and account for how they spend their money. We know Trump's foundation is a self-dealing sham that probably broke the law, because we can see it if we dig into it. We just didn't care until he won the election because lol, he's just the reality TV show host.

Before the election, a lot of people were rightfully saying that it was a shame that the Clinton Foundation might have to be suspended or shut down if she won because we could see that it was a legit charity doing charity things.

farenthold at wapo conclusively proved that the trump foundation operates illegally and serves as a piggy bank for trump

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

are we seriously going to pretend she isn't a witch

seriously

*laughs abuelishly*

• Locked thread