Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreatGreen posted:

The A and B buttons are really unergonomic for NES games. For example, with Mario games, it's awkward to hold B, the bottom face button, for running and then having to bend or twist your thumb up to hit A to jump.

uhhhhhh what? Its totally comfortable. You rest your thumb on B and you rock it on A when you need to. Its easy? Why are you twisting? Maybe you have tiny thumbs or something IDK.

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, I know people who play like that.

I got used to the "Y = Run, B = Jump" configuration from Super Mario World way back when and I've always liked that layout better. Feels more natural to me personally.

Yeah that is preferable I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

fishmech posted:

What sort of interface were you imagining to do the remapping? Like, it doesn't have a screen or really much space to put some separate controls for doing that, and trying to do it through button combos on its own would be really difficult to keep track of.

This guy answers it...

Elliotw2 posted:

The adapter's just a bluetooth adapter and some simple interfacing, but they could provide an alternate firmware for the controllers to replace the dead icade mode or the ps3 mode with one with flipped a/b buttons.The ones with joysticks actually come with a mode like this that flips the left stick and the dpad for games that don't accept hat switch inputs.

Probably best would be if they had a tool that let you custom bind the buttons and modes, but they're adamant that they can't do that.

Exactly. I guess I was just imagining like maybe a small Windows GUI where you could map buttons to a firmware, then load the firmware onto the bluetooth receiver or into the controller itself via its USB cable or something.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
ignore this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You should probably test some other discs, since it seems kind of sketchy that all of these consoles have problems with at least one of them across the board. But it could be that everything is a deciding to failure cascade, which isn't wholly unreasonable since the PSX, PSOne, PS2, and Dreamcast are pretty contemporary to each other.

That all said:

You could potentially turn up the GD-ROM related potentiometers inside of your Dreamcast and brute force it to work that way (I think), but it's only a temporary fix at best. You could either pick up another Dreamcast console (because why not?), or pick up another laser assembly. Or get a Dreamcast ODE like the GDEMU, but that would require a lot of hawk-eyed watching to get in on the next order batch.

I'm not sure why you're asking if Swap Magic will work on a PS2 Slim that isn't reading discs; isn't the point of it to boot up with the disc and pass the check, then allow you to do a swap out with a burned disc? You could either try and get another laser assembly for your Slim (no idea if people do or do not sell them these days), or...

1. Look at modding it for a hard drive. The Slim series apparently had hard drive support removed by Sony, but it can be added back in by (essentially) soldering an IDE or SATA cable to the main board.

2. Get a Free McBoot memory card with HD Loader or Open PS2 Loader or whatever the new hot poo poo is these days in the PS2 hard drive loading arena.

3. Look at using an IDE or SATA-adapted SD card as a hard drive. Then you can write ISOs and such to it with a program like WinHIIP and load it that way.

Or just get another console cuz gently caress all that work.

Yeah I probably need to find a used Dreamcast game to see if it actually the laser before figuring it needs the GD-ROM or something. I probably just stick the PS2 since it has the most positive tests I tried and I have component cables for it as well.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Like, if they simply moved the ethernet port to the back and turned the lid ports into nothing but a glorified Four Score, that'd be rad as heck.

You mean like this popular case? http://a.co/1Swr5Mo

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

uhhhhhh what? Its totally comfortable. You rest your thumb on B and you rock it on A when you need to. Its easy? Why are you twisting? Maybe you have tiny thumbs or something IDK.

Most people's right thumbs are like this: \

The buttons are arranged like this: /

Why do you think Mario World changed the run and jump buttons on the SNES controller?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Moving the ethernet port to the back isn't trivial because that's where it is on the Pi. It's more hassle than most people want to get into.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think there's some confusion depending on how you pushed the B and A buttons. Games like Mario where you for all intents and purposes would always hold down B, favor a system where your thumb rests flatly on the B button (so your fingerprint is centered on it, which will naturally happen since the button is concave) and then pushing A by bending your knuckle down so you push the A button with the bottom part of the knuckle. This method got hosed by the NES Dogbone controller since the A was above and to the right of B like on the SNES controller, but then the SNES controller "fixed" it by making the B-A equivalent Y and B, and even on NA controllers making the Y button concave to encourage your thumb to rest inside it like on the NES controller.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

univbee posted:

I think there's some confusion depending on how you pushed the B and A buttons. Games like Mario where you for all intents and purposes would always hold down B, favor a system where your thumb rests flatly on the B button (so your fingerprint is centered on it, which will naturally happen since the button is concave) and then pushing A by bending your knuckle down so you push the A button with the bottom part of the knuckle. This method got hosed by the NES Dogbone controller since the A was above and to the right of B like on the SNES controller, but then the SNES controller "fixed" it by making the B-A equivalent Y and B, and even on NA controllers making the Y button concave to encourage your thumb to rest inside it like on the NES controller.

As far as I know, every SNES-NES controller adapter maps SNES-Y to NES-B, and SNES-B to NES-A so your thumb is at an \ angle just like Super Mario World on the SNES: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes_to_nes_cable/index.php

You can also make your own adapter with the same button setup out of a SNES and NES extension cable using this pinout:

The GBA and DS use BA instead of BY for SNES ports of course, which screws up the ergonomics if you are used to SNES controls. So the 8-bit-do controllers also default to BA and can't be re-bound? I was considering picking one up but that's kind of a dealbreaker.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok. Got my Pi all set up and it's running great. The Scrapper function for box art and meta data is super cool to have too. Now I just gotta find the better stuff to put on it. I at least want the stuff that's on the NES and SNES classics on it.

Few questions though.

1: How do you get Neo-Geo games to run on it? Cause i'm having trouble
2: How do I make a save state?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

If you don't like the 8BitDo controller RetroUSB just came out with their new wireless controller, gonna grab one later this year probably.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok. Got my Pi all set up and it's running great. The Scrapper function for box art and meta data is super cool to have too. Now I just gotta find the better stuff to put on it. I at least want the stuff that's on the NES and SNES classics on it.

Few questions though.

1: How do you get Neo-Geo games to run on it? Cause i'm having trouble
2: How do I make a save state?

1. FBA or MAME
2. You need to set a hotkey. go to the retropie option on the home screen, choose "configure retroarch" , go into the input config, set (I think) hotkey toggle to select (that might already be set up) and then set whatever button you want to press select with (like select+a) to be your save state and do the same for load state.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Elliotw2 posted:

It would actually be a Swedish arcade game that's more or less undocumented except for a couple of flyers.

Dude you're insane. In a really good way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

gently caress are you guys talking about with this rocking thumb nonsense? There's only one way to use an NES controller

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

al-azad posted:

gently caress are you guys talking about with this rocking thumb nonsense? There's only one way to use an NES controller

OK grandma.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

al-azad posted:

:stare:

What did your right hand ever do to you?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

al-azad posted:

impossible

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

so I should probably get around to selling this sometime huh

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

how convenient there's a trash bin in the shot which is where your terrible controller hold belongs

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

One of my many shameful secrets: I did this for a bit in my youth too, now I only really do it for "push the buttons as fast as possible" stuff.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

al-azad posted:

I accidentally started playing like this due to Bubble Bobble on the NES Classic. Today I got to and beat level 57 without continues. Then died on 58 from stupidity. loving hate 57.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kaboobi posted:

How much you want?

univbee posted:

One of my many shameful secrets: I did this for a bit in my youth too, now I only really do it for "push the buttons as fast as possible" stuff.

smh if you don't jerk the controller in the direction you're jumping to get extra distance.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kaboobi posted:

Jesus dude

Shantae was one of my best finds. Got two copies, one for $3 and one for $8

Still, can't beat a box

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After a few misfires, I managed to get backups of PS1 games working on my PS2. Now the thing is...what some hidden gems for the PS1 beyond some stuff I been wanting to play again like Brave Fencer Musashi, SaGa Frontier, Tobal, and Star Gladiator?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MediEvil was good. TENCHU hasnt aged very well but its ninja stuff. Trap Gunner is fun with a friend. OmegaBoost is like Panzer Dragoon with a mech. I always enjoyed Eïnhander. Syphon Filter comes at a point before RightStick Analogue Aiming was a thing (also, roast people with your mighty taser). Bushido Blade gave me some fun bullshit. And you might as well throw Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete in for anime's sake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rirse posted:

After a few misfires, I managed to get backups of PS1 games working on my PS2. Now the thing is...what some hidden gems for the PS1 beyond some stuff I been wanting to play again like Brave Fencer Musashi, SaGa Frontier, Tobal, and Star Gladiator?

I dunno about hidden gems but some of my favorite ps1 games

IQ Intelligent Cube
Treasures of the Deep
Ape Escape
Bushido Blade
Legend of Legia
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Battle Hunter is good if you get three other nerds to play a competitive/co-operative anime roguelike boardgame.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Allen Wren posted:

Battle Hunter is good if you get three other nerds to play a competitive/co-operative anime roguelike boardgame.

I so badly wish they let you actually progress through story mode with more than one player. Or that the game didn't routinely generate boards where one player has an enormous advantage because of their starting position. Battle Hunter is a frustrating mess that comes so close to being a truly great game, and it's just infuriating.

As far as the rest of the A1 Games releases go, Star Sweep is excellent, Crossroad Crisis is decent, Billiards and Chess are adequate, and I've heard good things about Top Shop and Sanvein but haven't played them myself.

Edit: Other PS1 hidden gems—

Adventures of Lomax - very pretty Lemmings spinoff 2D platformer
Geom Cube - It's 3D Tetris. Absolutely guaranteed to give you a headache.
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns - I'm not sure how hidden a gem this is. I think it was pretty popular on PC in its day, but I haven't seen anyone mention it in ages. The PS1 version has remixed music and extra levels, and at the very least it's another good game with a level editor.
Viewpoint - The only isometric shooter not named Zaaxon that I can recall off the top of my head. Interesting, but extremely difficult, and I think it doesn't run properly on PS2 and/or PS3.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 28, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, it's got some completely frustrating flaws, and it's sad that it's such an obscure game, there's no chance of somebody trying to hack it into a more playable form.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
In complete seriousness, does there exist a better game that's along the same lines as Battle Hunter? Because I desperately want to play that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rirse posted:

Off the top of my head;

Mega Man Legends 1&2
Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Bloody Roar 2
Breath of Fire 4
Bushido Blade

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is there a way to have emulationstation not group stuff by system? I only want a handful of games on the different system, and it's a hassle switching.

EDIT: Or is this the wrong thread for that?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 28, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

al-azad posted:

smh if you don't jerk the controller in the direction you're jumping to get extra distance.

to this god damned day and it's so ingrained in me that I don't even think to be embarrassed about it (which could probably be a subtitle for this thread)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I was playing Ace Combat 4 for the first time last week I realized after like an hour with the game whenever I would pull up to do turning maneuvers I was rotating my whole head to match 1:1 with the orientation of the cockpit. I bet AC7 in VR would be insane

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Gunners Heaven is one of those unknown PS1 games. A 2D shooter ala Gunstar Heroes, Japanese launch title. It never came out in the US because Sony were idiots, but I believe there was a Euro release.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Don't forget Einhander, Parasite Eve, and Vagrant Story.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A friend of a friend is getting rid of a sattelaview on the cheap (like $50). Is it worth picking up, esp. if I don't have a SFC?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I love me Colony Wars on the PS1. It's a trimmed down Freespace but has branching paths and some good replayability.

Treasures of the Deep, another PS1 exclusive

And Future Cop LAPD which was like the last successor of the Strike games and has co-op and a neat precursor to the MOBA.

Not a Children posted:

A friend of a friend is getting rid of a sattelaview on the cheap (like $50). Is it worth picking up, esp. if I don't have a SFC?

You can't use it so you're buying a $50 paperweight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

al-azad posted:

I love me Colony Wars on the PS1. It's a trimmed down Freespace but has branching paths and some good replayability.

I love that style of game. Is there anything like it on current gen systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah Parasite Eve 1 is awesome. 2 is...fine. If you like JRPGs I recently played through Wild Arms 1 and 2 and can highly recommend both! 2 in particular has greatly refined mechanics and really fun story and setting. Music is killer in both as well.

• Locked thread