Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i work at a place where it's not uncommon to run into people who have been here for 15 years or more. a few months ago we had someone retire who'd been working here for forty years. six months into my job my boss was basically asking me to think about whether i eventually want to do more network administration stuff or get into business analyst stuff, and it was definitely with the tone of "hey what would you like to be doing here 5-10 years from now"

i think it owns p. hard IMO and i'm glad i lucked into this place. probably helps that they sell actual physical things that provide useful functions to society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

how do you all deal with applying for jobs out of city/state/province/whatever

not so much the uprooting, that's a whole different kettle of worms, but like the hunting/interview/finding a new home/getting out from under your lease process

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
my biggest fear about job hoping is resetting the vacation accruement.

even if you negotiate for a larger time off plan aren't you stuck at the regular schedule for additional time? "oh cool only 5 more years and I get a whole 3 more days off per year" :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TerminalRaptor posted:

my biggest fear about job hoping is resetting the vacation accruement.

even if you negotiate for a larger time off plan aren't you stuck at the regular schedule for additional time? "oh cool only 5 more years and I get a whole 3 more days off per year" :(

So make whatever you feel is an appropriate amount of PTO and rate of increase part of your salary negotiations: 10 days the first year (or 15 or whatever), 15 the second year, etc.

I mean, I'm a scrub-tier server monkey in Milwaukee and even I managed that. PTO is a cheap perquisite to give out.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 28, 2017

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
don't worry, eventually all the tech companies will adopt unlimited vacation policies and then you won't have to worry about your vacation time because it'll be de facto impossible to take time off

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

how do you all deal with applying for jobs out of city/state/province/whatever

not so much the uprooting, that's a whole different kettle of worms, but like the hunting/interview/finding a new home/getting out from under your lease process
i work in new york and im sporadically interviewing for boston positions that i might fine interesting. on my resume, i use a google voice number local to massachusetts that forwards to my cell and i use a family address in providence. not sure sure why other than ive been in resume review meetings where people were scrapped out the gate if they were trying to relocate.

for in person interviews i'll take the day off, preferably on a monday or friday, and drive up. if its during the week ill take the train. havent worked out the rest of the actual moving poo poo but we'll have a temporary place to stay for a month or two as long as i commute in.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Stymie posted:

don't worry, eventually all the tech companies will adopt unlimited vacation policies and then you won't have to worry about your vacation time because it'll be de facto impossible to take time off
When you do finally decide to retire, you have a moral obligation to take a job at one of these companies and just go on vacation forever until they fire you, then let some contingency lawyer sue them over it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

curufinor posted:

i literally actually got a fizzbuzz interview today
took me 20 seconds and i was like, "man, this is an actual thing that actually happens"

dunno if i'll be taking the callback but lol
Way back in high school I went to a math contest and everyone who didn't make it to the final round was put into a big auditorium to wait. They organized a game of human fizz-buzz. Walk in a circle counting up with fizz-buzz rules (they kept adding more), if you get it wrong you're out.

I won that thing and ended up getting an official certificate of fizzbuzz mastery. If I can find whatever box it's in I'll probably frame it and put it at my desk.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Rsus are just bad isos right
Where I work you can automatically sell your RSUs as soon as they arrive, then you just click a button on the broker website to transfer the money to your bank acount.

While the precise amount can of course vary quite dramatically based on the fortunes of the company, it's real cash and real money unlike basically every startup equity offer.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Where I work you can automatically sell your RSUs as soon as they arrive

your flophouse is a REIT???

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadowHawk posted:

When you do finally decide to retire, you have a moral obligation to take a job at one of these companies and just go on vacation forever until they fire you, then let some contingency lawyer sue them over it.

let's not go too crazy talking about morals, slumlord

you might not like the conclusions people reach

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stymie posted:

let's not go too crazy talking about morals, slumlord

you might not like the conclusions people reach
I am already well aware of the conclusions people here reach about how it is immoral to provide housing. I am quite comfortable disagreeing with the lot of them, whether they're arguing that they must protect the 1950s "character" of the neighborhood, or that they are entitled to an ocean view unobstructed by housing, or that it should be illegal for two adults to share a rented bedroom.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
unless you're renting to section 8 tenants or at least keeping longtime residents at low rents, you don't get to hide behind that "providing housing" bullshit. i bet you raise your rent every year to "market" rate, don't you? if someone can't afford the increase, what would you do? maybe you'd just find a richer tenant? gosh i feel so bad that you have to raise rent to compensate for the increased property tax that you don't have. you're a bay area landlord and you can go gently caress yourself sideways with a pineapple

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadowHawk posted:

I am already well aware of the conclusions people here reach about how it is immoral to provide housing. I am quite comfortable disagreeing with the lot of them, whether they're arguing that they must protect the 1950s "character" of the neighborhood, or that they are entitled to an ocean view unobstructed by housing, or that it should be illegal for two adults to share a rented bedroom.

charging rent to your flopmates isn't "providing housing" no matter how much you think it is

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Rsus are just bad isos right

RSUs are money given to you in the form of stock, while ISOs are the ability to buy stock at maybe an advantageous price.

ISOs of common stock actually used to be super sick because companies could price them well below fair market value, valuations were actually sane, and your options would convert into something publicly tradable in a reasonable timeframe because startups actually IPOd. like none of that is true anymore for most startups so options are rightly treated as bullshit by everyone.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you join a company and they give you RSUs as part of your compensation, that's probably because they are a large public company like amagoofacesoft, and you can immediately sell the shares for cash because there's a huge market of buyers

if you join a company and they give you options, that's probably because they're a startup, and they are trying to trick you by saying you get n% of the company and omg look at what that could be worth someday. but they don't mention the deals with vcs, liquidation preferences, dilution from future rounds, etc... and if another company does buy you they can often just rip up your options contracts and tell you to go gently caress yourself. unless it's a $10 billion company or you're a founder or employee < 5, even in a successful exit you'll end up with car money if that. by accepting this kind of compensation you're betting a ton on a very risky company, and you probably don't have the financial information or knowhow to evaluate your risk (but the ceo and the board who approved your offer sure do)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RSUs are cool & good

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
big tech can't literally print dollar bills to give their employees, but they can literally print public stock to give instead. so the money comes from dilution across the investors, which are mostly large mutual funds or pension funds. thus you are doing additional good by transferring money away from boomers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

big tech can't literally print dollar bills to give their employees, but they can literally print public stock to give instead. so the money comes from dilution across the investors, which are mostly large mutual funds or pension funds. thus you are doing additional good by transferring money away from boomers

:yeah:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i immediately liquidate my stock as it vests because lol @ holding on to your employers stock

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mishaq posted:

i immediately liquidate my stock as it vests because lol @ holding on to your employers stock
id rather hold on to my employers balls

and squeeze them hard until they cough up real money

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

5 interviews coming up out of nowhere lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stymie posted:

charging rent to your flopmates isn't "providing housing" no matter how much you think it is
idk when two people rent out a room instead of one it kinda seems like one more is getting housed :shrug:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

unless you're renting to section 8 tenants or at least keeping longtime residents at low rents, you don't get to hide behind that "providing housing" bullshit. i bet you raise your rent every year to "market" rate, don't you? if someone can't afford the increase, what would you do? maybe you'd just find a richer tenant? gosh i feel so bad that you have to raise rent to compensate for the increased property tax that you don't have. you're a bay area landlord and you can go gently caress yourself sideways with a pineapple
If they aren't allowed to save money by living together, people go and rent out larger numbers of housing units elsewhere. Making shared housing illegal, or even stigmatized, is exactly what landlords and boomers want -- it makes housing more scarce, and pushes up their precious property values.

gently caress that, housing should be cheap. We can only do that by legalizing new housing. We should be astonished that grown adults individually making above the national family income face a market where roommates are a necessity. We're losing a trillion dollars of wealth a year by preventing poorer people from moving to productive cities, and we're doing it by restricting housing supply just so we can make a few boomers who happen to live here richer.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ShadowHawk posted:

idk when two people rent out a room instead of one it kinda seems like one more is getting housed :shrug:

"I live with my tenants who I am profiting off so I am not a scummy landlord."

lmao

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

jre posted:

"I live with my tenants who I am profiting off so I am not a scummy landlord."

lmao
This isn't really about me but even when I was living in fully communal housing I paid net money to the actual landlord. Less than if I lived on my own rather than a shared setup, but holding the entire lease myself is a bit of a risk.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

nah he's just subletting iirc

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mountain view seems much nicer than Sunnyvale, maybe it's because the trees are taller and less brown

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

Yeah, but I should have held my AMZN stock when it was like $350 instead of selling it asap :qq:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I held on to my Apple stock and made a ton of money. ymmv

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Nothing wrong with holding on to employer's stock, I mean, you're in probably the best possible position to have a feel whether or not your company is doing well or not. Just don't liquidate on some obviously insider poo poo, lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

gently caress that, housing should be cheap. We can only do that by legalizing new housing.

my opinion is valid and others' isn't so I am justified in breaking the law and forcing them to put up with my behavior.

quote:

just so we can make a few boomers who happen to live here richer.

"boomers". most of my neighbors are tech nerds just like you and me.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qhat posted:

Nothing wrong with holding on to employer's stock, I mean, you're in probably the best possible position to have a feel whether or not your company is doing well or not. Just don't liquidate on some obviously insider poo poo, lol.

lolno

enron

your income and your savings tied to the health of ur company

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Janitor Prime posted:

Yeah, but I should have held my AMZN stock when it was like $350 instead of selling it asap :qq:

better to realize a gain now than maybe realize a gain later

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

mishaq posted:

better to realize a gain now than maybe realize a gain later

this is true, but it still doesn't stop me from kicking myself now and again over not waiting for Sirius XM stock to soar even higher

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

this is true, but it still doesn't stop me from kicking myself now and again over not waiting for Sirius XM stock to soar even higher

i know a few ex-mci/worldcom folks with some really terrible stories about people having their entire savings/retirement funds in company stock leading up to 2000-2001 and ruining their lives

not potentially making the extra money is ok with me

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
putting all your savings into any given stock/thing is a different problem altogether.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if you join a company and they give you RSUs as part of your compensation, that's probably because they are a large public company like amagoofacesoft, and you can immediately sell the shares for cash because there's a huge market of buyers

if you join a company and they give you options, that's probably because they're a startup, and they are trying to trick you by saying you get n% of the company and omg look at what that could be worth someday. but they don't mention the deals with vcs, liquidation preferences, dilution from future rounds, etc... and if another company does buy you they can often just rip up your options contracts and tell you to go gently caress yourself. unless it's a $10 billion company or you're a founder or employee < 5, even in a successful exit you'll end up with car money if that. by accepting this kind of compensation you're betting a ton on a very risky company, and you probably don't have the financial information or knowhow to evaluate your risk (but the ceo and the board who approved your offer sure do)

we were given options and explicitly told "these will probably not be worth anything ever but it will be cool if they accidentally are"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

options are actually fine. they're only bad if you bank on them or think of them as anything other than lottery tickets

because like lottery tickets, they are worthless

but dreaming is fun isnt it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also i skipped over a thousand posts itt i hope many goons have achieved new and improved jobs in that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bloody posted:

also i skipped over a thousand posts itt i hope many goons have achieved new and improved jobs in that time
some goons have!

but interviewing and job hunting are still garbage

• Locked thread