Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

[quote="“Empress Brosephine”" post="“474193879”"]
Netflix and Amazon are the big ones. Hulu does also right?
[/quote]

Of course Amazon isn’t available for the AppleTV yet. But that’s why we’re now talking around in circles. The current thinking is that Amazon will be a launch title on a 5th gen that supports 4K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

Netflix and Amazon are the big ones. Hulu does also right?

That would be funny if they streamed 4k video with stereo sound [which they will totally do if they start supporting 4k]

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This is an almost trivial annoyance, but is there a way to wake the remote without clicking a button that performs an action?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I think if your aTV is already on but the remote isn't the first time you press a button it will just connect and that's it?

Like sometimes in the morning I'll use the remote app on my phone to turn the TV on before I go downstairs, then grab the actual remote and I'll get a little connected Notification in the corner when I hit a button.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ManSedan posted:

I think if your aTV is already on but the remote isn't the first time you press a button it will just connect and that's it?
Sometimes it does and sometimes not. Maybe I should look toward the harmony hub setup first.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sometimes it does and sometimes not. Maybe I should look toward the harmony hub setup first.

I press the touchpad. It wakes the ATV without performing an action.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maybe press the volume button?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jabro posted:

I press the touchpad. It wakes the ATV without performing an action.

I think the issue is the opposite. The ATV is on, but the remote is sleeping. That can happen if you use HDMI CEC and turn on the TV or if it's part of a Harmony Remote/Hub activity. You have to click the touchpad to wake up the remote, but unfortunately it will do a "click" in the context of whatever screen is up on the ATV.

Personally, I do what gret does: press up on the volume button (and then down to put it back). It really is a minor, but it's still annoying.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Proteus Jones posted:

I think the issue is the opposite. The ATV is on, but the remote is sleeping.
Yeah it’s that.

Part of my Harmony event is “power on Apple TV”. I suppose I could take that out and always have to click in exchange for knowing the click won’t perform an action. Or just live with the volume button press.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Wouldn't you only ever wake the remote by trying to do something? Just do what you want to do and it'll work after a short delay during which it's turning on.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I Am Crake posted:

Wouldn't you only ever wake the remote by trying to do something? Just do what you want to do and it'll work after a short delay during which it's turning on.

No the problem is that the touchpad doesn't function until the remote wakes up. So if you go to start scrolling through Netflix, nothing happens until you actually press a button. It's pretty annoying. I usually just hit the volume button.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, as good as the Harmony remotes are, you can't replicate the swiping function for a lot of apps. I usually just use the Harmony to kick off the Activity and then use the ATV remote for everything else.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Mahoning posted:

No the problem is that the touchpad doesn't function until the remote wakes up. So if you go to start scrolling through Netflix, nothing happens until you actually press a button. It's pretty annoying. I usually just hit the volume button.

Ah, that makes sense! My remote only ever goes to sleep if I'm using the ATV to airplay music, so I just wake it with the home button because it doesn't interrupt anything.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there some compromise between subsuming family members' account under one credit card in Family Sharing and just handing over your login on Apple TV so everyone can share their movie collections?

The latter is a pain, because you manually have to switch and risk buying or renting on the wrong account, and the family plan seems to be more for parents with small kids with only one credit card.

What do you do to share iTunes movies between members' Apple TV?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ufarn posted:

Is there some compromise between subsuming family members' account under one credit card in Family Sharing and just handing over your login on Apple TV so everyone can share their movie collections?

The latter is a pain, because you manually have to switch and risk buying or renting on the wrong account, and the family plan seems to be more for parents with small kids with only one credit card.

What do you do to share iTunes movies between members' Apple TV?

Just have everyone on the family sharing. If you can't trust someone to be an adult and not buy all the Sharknados then maybe don't them put them on. Sorry, Uncle Rico.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh Jesus, they updated the Netflix app, and now whatever show/movie you have highlighted, a video preview/montage thing starts playing. Please Netflix, you eat up enough of my not-unlimited home internet, don't auto-play annoying video nobody asked for.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But everyone in California has unlimited data, I don't understand.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sure would be nice to have that amazon app or any of the other apps that are on platforms like fire tv (TCM)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

sure would be nice to have that amazon app or any of the other apps that are on platforms like fire tv (TCM)

Amazon will almost certainly be released in September when tvOS 11 is released.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Someone in another Apple thread mentioned Vudu is likely coming at the same time.

It makes me curious if there's something specific about the upcoming tvOS 11 update or the (probable) 4k Apple TV that satisfied the longtime concerns of these services.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's about money.

There was no technical reason Amazon video couldn't have been on the ATV 2, 3, or 4.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, it's possible that once they figured out whatever deal they've got with Amazon they offered it to other platforms as well. 100% business decision though since other than the Apple TV Amazon seems to put their app on every other piece of consumer electronics more powerful than a remote control.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I would really, really love it if my HD movies on iTunes automatically updated to 4K, but I guess the chances are remote.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Physical UHD movies cost a solid ~$10 more than Blu-rays; GotG cost ~£40 on Amazon UK until recently when they tweaked the price.

I can't imagine it's just the additional disc, so it'll probably end up being a separate purchase than includes lower-quality versions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rick Sanchez posted:

I would really, really love it if my HD movies on iTunes automatically updated to 4K, but I guess the chances are remote.

It's not *entirely* outside the realm of possibility. I could be recalling incorrectly, but I thought the format that got streamed/downloaded was whatever your hardware could handle. For instance the first 2 generations of ATV were 720p. However if you got a gen3 ATV, all those movies would now stream to it in 1080p.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Anyone else having problems with Netflix on their ATV4 lately?

I’m getting random buffering, sudden audio drop-outs, audio from later in the episode playing over the current audio, and all sorts of weird poo poo. Like 20-30times an hour. No problems with Netflix on any other devices, and no problems streaming in any other app on the ATV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Anyone else having problems with Netflix on their ATV4 lately?

I’m getting random buffering, sudden audio drop-outs, audio from later in the episode playing over the current audio, and all sorts of weird poo poo. Like 20-30times an hour. No problems with Netflix on any other devices, and no problems streaming in any other app on the ATV.

I was watching something earlier and it would buffer for about 1 second ever 30 seconds. It was super annoying. Haven't tried it since.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Getting issues similar to the above on Hulu. I have fiber drat it! :bahgawd:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
In other news, 4K ATV with support for HDR confirmed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Choadmaster posted:

In other news, 4K ATV with support for HDR confirmed.

That remote looks like it will have a retina (because why not), display. At a guess I'm thinking there will be an API so the layout of buttons will change depending on app or context. If the Amazon Prime Video app drops on release, this looks like it may displace the Shield TV as my primary video device.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

That remote looks like it will have a retina (because why not), display. At a guess I'm thinking there will be an API so the layout of buttons will change depending on app or context. If the Amazon Prime Video app drops on release, this looks like it may displace the Shield TV as my primary video device.

That's just a fan mockup, the only thing we have right now is code small code snippets from an unrelated firmware update.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

That's just a fan mockup, the only thing we have right now is code small code snippets from an unrelated firmware update.

:(

I was hoping it was marketing renders.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
We just got an Apple TV and while it's helped my family cut cable, the remote sucks so much. This was quite a surprise to me, given how natural the idea seemed. But even after playing with the remote sensitivity options, there's too many ways to mess up your viewing via the trackpad. While I had some problems with it, my parents had a nightmarish time because they'd accidentally flick the touch pad and do *something*

It's a shame that all our Apple TV input is done by an incredibly unsexy RCA universal remote now. But it's so far the most user friendly to the 'ol man.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you want to look into it, I’m pretty sure the old model remotes (called just “Apple Remote” and easy to get for $19 or less) work with the new model box. Obviously you won’t get all the functionality.

E: yeah they work, according to Apple’s support site.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 9, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And there's a remote app for the iPhone which makes searching for things easier.

I don't dislike the touchpad remote personally.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Generic universal remotes work just fine. The problem is you lose swipe actions in apps that use them, though if all you're doing is watching stuff, this probably doesn't matter.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I use the logitech harmony on mine and it works well. My only complaint is you cant fast forward with it since the new apple tv uses swipe to fast forward. It might just be a mapping issue on the remote that I could resolve by linking a button to that action, but I havent taken the time to dig into it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In ios 11 you can put quick remote access in the control center which makes using your phone as the remote a lot more practical

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's so easy to gently caress up a podcast while it's playing by just touching the remote. It seems like it will start over or jump to the next one on a dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I used to dislike the new remote vehemently but I've since grown to, if not like, then at least tolerate it. Actually the biggest compliment I can give it is that after a while I stopped thinking about it altogether (other than when it fell between the couch cushions and I couldn't find it). Granted that's just my experience but I think a lot of it is just learning how sensitive it is and adjusting to using it at which point it becomes second nature.

Not trying to handwave anyone's criticisms of the device though. I suspect it may vary wildly depending on how you use the box. I never listen to podcasts on it, for example, so maybe if I did I would be cursing to this day.

Getting a sideclick remote for it made my life much more bearable though. I hated needing to have two remotes handy. While this is still technically two remotes I love that they snap together and I can control my TV's volume, etc, without having to hunt for a second remote. It also helped the "which way is up?" thing that happens with the ATV4 remote a lot.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 9, 2017