Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mr. Fowl posted:

You want weird? In my second Third Way attempt, Wallachia ate Poland. I love when the AI goes for achievements.
Not exactly weird, but I was pretty surprised to see Austria had managed to reform the HRE by about 1700 in a hands-off game. Unfortunately, it was with a (so far) pretty unbalanced mod, so not quite as big an achievement as if they had done it with a non-terminally ill man of Europe. At least India is working pretty well, the AI consolidates pretty well at times, even creating Hindustan at one point. They did not attempt to go for the "The Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire" achievement though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

1714 in my Third Way attempt....

I have a 15 year truce with the Ottomans and I am about to take another chunk out of Tunis. Tunis had Exploration and had a big colony in Columbia, which France just took, so I may be screwed even if I can conquer all of the Ottomans. Orissa, Russia, and Austria are my allies.

I have three armies of ~70k and I stackwiped half of the armies I fought in the hellwar vs Ottomans, France, and Bohemia. I wish I knew that Russia, Bohemia, and/or Austria would attack the Ottomans on their own if I went at them hard and crush them in the next go-round.

You know, my problem with games in this region is that for some reason, I can never make my way around the horn of Africa and down to all that sweet gold as quickly as I feel like I should.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Fowl posted:

You know, my problem with games in this region is that for some reason, I can never make my way around the horn of Africa and down to all that sweet gold as quickly as I feel like I should.
It can be rough - the alliance systems in the Horn of Africa can escalate quickly and cause there to just be a few semi-powerful powers and if you dont have a friend of your own it can be slow going. Its also hard to project power early because armies are small, revolts are large, and transports cost money and eat up limited naval forcelimits. Kilwa also tends to be monolithic and never-not a power to contend with and thus can be bigger than a flegling country that rushes down that way from the Arabia area or across the Indian Ocean.

The Mutapa gold mines are just so hard to access and are off-culture and hardly developed; once I took the provinces of Kilwa and Kaffa, plus then I got a gold province in South Africa and developed that because I got the "Turn X into a city" which boosts its Production dev and gives a dev discount, I felt like I was good on gold. Since then I have had bigger fish to fry. edit: and had gold mines in India, Sumatra, and West Africa to take.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 24, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Oh good someone else has this problem. It's just such a big dumb slog even though there's nothing really down the coast except Kilwa and piss poor Somali provinces.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Eastern Africa is very large relative to its wealth, and chances are if you're playing Ethiopia or something like that you'll be busy spending your manpower on other avenues of expansion. Then before you realise it Kilwa or something has blobbed to your border and allied the Ottomans. :suicide:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm about to go to war with Ming, I should really recruit an Admiral to put in charge of my navy over that way considering the fact that Ming has like 50 heavies...

:stonklol:

Idea for any Paradox dude (Groogy, are you there?) who is reading this thread: Admiral Siege value adds to the siege value of any coastal siege that they are blockading?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That would be really cool. It'd be a reason to actually hire admirals even once you've won the sea.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

YF-23 posted:

Eastern Africa is very large relative to its wealth, and chances are if you're playing Ethiopia or something like that you'll be busy spending your manpower on other avenues of expansion. Then before you realise it Kilwa or something has blobbed to your border and allied the Ottomans. :suicide:
Had this happen to me. They were actually allied with the Mamluks first, which was annoying enough, but once the Mamluks became a non-factor, they seamlessly traded up to an alliance with the Ottomans. NEVER allow those Swahili bastards to live long enough to do that. It's a pain in the rear end, the Ottos are enough trouble without having to fend off Mega-Kilwa on the exact opposite end of your empire.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

My buddy Brabant racked up a bit of debt. Ended up hitting 11k and it never went down after that. Don't know how the AI does it, but it manages not to be bankrupt.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

In 1729 that's probably around 10ish loans for them, not a lot really.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well my Nepal to Bharat game is coming to a close, I own India, most of thailand, a little bit of Persia and Tibet. It was a fun ride.

I kinda want to do a Ming run next, any pitfalls to avoid? Any tips? Also what achievements are easy to get as Ming?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Detheros posted:

In 1729 that's probably around 10ish loans for them, not a lot really.

Im France and when I take out a loan it's for 2k and I have at least 5 times their income. 11k probably equates to 25-30 loans for them.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TorakFade posted:

Well my Nepal to Bharat game is coming to a close, I own India, most of thailand, a little bit of Persia and Tibet. It was a fun ride.

I kinda want to do a Ming run next, any pitfalls to avoid? Any tips? Also what achievements are easy to get as Ming?

The achievement to get a vassal of each religion group is pretty easy since tributaries count. Tributaries can always give gold or manpower, I preferred manpower because then I never had to use mercenaries.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

TorakFade posted:

Ming is pretty much impossible to lose as. There's really no pitfalls other than "if your mandate starts dipping, maybe stop it from doing that I guess," and even that is kind of optional considering the raw numbers you have can probably overcome it in the end. I guess feel free to go for World Conquest by tributarying everyone who matters?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

1795 now in my first successful Timurid-> Mughal run. Observations:

* Ming and Ottos never get weak unless the player forces it on them. Player often isn't in a position to do that. Could consider giving the player something to do that can make it more likely they collapse, perhaps only available if not a neighbour.

* Mughals never form unless player does it.

* Forts absolutely rule. I got into a situation where Bengal had allied the mega-Ottomans, who by this point had conquered everything up to the Alps. A network of forts held the Ottos off forever, giving me ample time to clean up Bengal.

* India is basically the thunderdome, everyone was at war with everyone all the time.

* Early game as Timurids, I found corruption really helpful for cash + the unrest bonus. It hovered around 10 for a while and gradually came down after that. The Mughal empire was founded on a mountain of brown envelopes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Beefeater1980 posted:

* Forts absolutely rule. I got into a situation where Bengal had allied the mega-Ottomans, who by this point had conquered everything up to the Alps. A network of forts held the Ottos off forever, giving me ample time to clean up Bengal.

Agreed tbh. I know this goes against received wisdom but I really like to invest in forts at the point in the game when you have poo poo tons of money anyway.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Yeah, I guess I should say they are situationally useful. The situation in question being "I have to fight a multi front war, how can I keep some of these guys off my back while I clean up the rest?"

Maximum Schlieffen situations basically.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Because I'm a glutton for punishment I decided to start a game as the Aztecs. It's relatively easy to gobble up my neighbors, but I think I hosed up, because it seems like the only way to reform my religion (and eventually get ships and go reverse-colonize Europe) is to have 5 vassals. Am I misreading that? Should I focus on making the northern native american tribes my vassals now?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Because I'm a glutton for punishment I decided to start a game as the Aztecs. It's relatively easy to gobble up my neighbors, but I think I hosed up, because it seems like the only way to reform my religion (and eventually get ships and go reverse-colonize Europe) is to have 5 vassals. Am I misreading that? Should I focus on making the northern native american tribes my vassals now?

Couldn't you just release vassals from the diplomacy menu?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Technowolf posted:

Couldn't you just release vassals from the diplomacy menu?

I guess I mean I've more or less conquered or pissed off everyone around me and there aren't really 5 nations to make vassals anymore without a lot of diplomatic wrangling and waiting. (At least from what I can tell). Does that mean I just locked myself out of the religious reforms that I need to eventually build ships?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Peas and Rice posted:

Yes you need to have five vassals to pass a reform. Also less than 50 doom. Mind you these don't have to be happy vassals, just vassals. If you conquer a lot of land before passing at least 3-4 reforms, you're well on your way to a death cycle.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

I guess I mean I've more or less conquered or pissed off everyone around me and there aren't really 5 nations to make vassals anymore without a lot of diplomatic wrangling and waiting. (At least from what I can tell). Does that mean I just locked myself out of the religious reforms that I need to eventually build ships?

You can release vassals from the land that you've conquered though. If you erased a country from the map, you can bring it back as a vassal. The option to do so is hidden away in the diplomatic menu when you have your own country selected, on the bottom right corner of the menu.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can release vassals from the land that you've conquered though. If you erased a country from the map, you can bring it back as a vassal. The option to do so is hidden away in the diplomatic menu when you have your own country selected, on the bottom right corner of the menu.

AHH OK. Rad, I didn't know that. Trying it over lunch...

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It can be rough - the alliance systems in the Horn of Africa can escalate quickly and cause there to just be a few semi-powerful powers and if you dont have a friend of your own it can be slow going. Its also hard to project power early because armies are small, revolts are large, and transports cost money and eat up limited naval forcelimits. Kilwa also tends to be monolithic and never-not a power to contend with and thus can be bigger than a flegling country that rushes down that way from the Arabia area or across the Indian Ocean.

The Mutapa gold mines are just so hard to access and are off-culture and hardly developed; once I took the provinces of Kilwa and Kaffa, plus then I got a gold province in South Africa and developed that because I got the "Turn X into a city" which boosts its Production dev and gives a dev discount, I felt like I was good on gold. Since then I have had bigger fish to fry. edit: and had gold mines in India, Sumatra, and West Africa to take.

You just have to be quick to get down there. What I do is take just enough land to be able to fabricate on the next person down the coast of Africa.Usually that means a handful of land from Ajuuraan, then fabricate on Pate, then you're usually able to fabricate on Kilwa or an ally of theirs. Once you've beaten everybody once in a war they never really recover and once you're down there you get to feast on fetishists and Sunnis so you spread the AE nicely. It might be tough to do that and also make big inroads into India though.

I ended up going for No Trail of Tears and it has to be one of the most boring achievements in the game. You're so restricted on what you can do as a North American tribe for so long and you never really get to a fun size or get good allies so you can't really have much fun fighting the euros. Got it in the end because change that lets you war on colonial nations without the overlord if you're a new world nation makes grabbing land a breeze. Even lost an essential province to the Iberians in a war but just took it back from the colonial nation when the truce was over.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Spread the Revolution is a bullshit CB and I love it. :allears:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Such an ugly flag.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Such an ugly flag.

I guess you just hat Belgium, then?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Tahirovic posted:

Such an ugly flag.

Yeah but it sticks around, not like the ottomans willingly off themselves.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

How are you supposed to play the revolutionary game? I've never had a revolution yet, perhaps because at that stage of the game I'm on a steam roll and never found the need to change up my strategy

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

236 Power Projection

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, depending on the date, but the revolution is late game. At -1 a year I believe he will have guaranteed 100 PProj for the rest of the game.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wait, it does not cap at 100?

This changes everything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

Wait, it does not cap at 100?

This changes everything.

The amount you can actually have caps at 100, but the modifiers don't cap. So even though you earned 236 you will only get the effects of 100, but it will take forever to dwindle away because it has 136 pp to decay through before it even starts to have an effect.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah by endgame if you have someone like the Ottomans (or Ming lol) to chip away at repeatedly, you dont even need to use the Humiliate option anymore because you can instead stack up tons of "Conquered Provinces in a war" Power Projection Points. I did it in my Commonwealth game - by 1675 I had like 130 "Conquered Provinces" PPPs from kicking the Ottomans in the teeth so many times. Its a pretty similar situation in my Oman => Mughals Third Way attempt, again with the Ottomans.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can get the revolution CB shortly after 1700 so it's still meaningful, though obviously you actually need to play for that long

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started a Ming game and it's way funnier than I thought. Infinite money right off the bat, huge army and so many things to do! I tributaried everybody who was willing and conquered a few provinces up north, quickly decided it wasn't really worth it because rebellions everywhere so I started force tributary wars on the hordes. Meanwhile Ayutthaya got big and uppity and didn't pay tribute for 3 years, after which I revoked their tributary status and let the small guys coalition them into oblivion, I will then come back and make tributaries of every state that pops out.

I am currently colonizing the philippines and Taiwan but I am at a loss on how to actually expand, the lands up north are lovely and as powerful as I am I feel it would be a waste to eat my tributaries. Perhaps I should eat Tibet at least so I can start creeping into India...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Christ, how are you supposed to not fall into a spiral of debt and corruption as a non European power? I can't even run a positive balance as the Timurids with only a quarter of my force limit. If it wasn't for peace deals I'd be hosed.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mantis42 posted:

Christ, how are you supposed to not fall into a spiral of debt and corruption as a non European power? I can't even run a positive balance as the Timurids with only a quarter of my force limit. If it wasn't for peace deals I'd be hosed.

Debt is fine. Borrow money to conquer land, this extra land gets you money to buy more troops. Now that you have extra land your loans are better, take better loans to pay off your bad loans. Now take more loans to conquer more land. If you're not taking/paying down loans you're stagnating or expanding slower than you otherwise could be.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Timurids are really bad if you play it like a European power, you will rapidly run out of money and manpower thanks to your garbage monarchs, loads of off-religion/culture territory, constant corruption due to same, and inability to leverage the flat country combat bonus for nomads because there is no loving flat country in Persia. Play them as an all out sprint to kick the poo poo out of India to get the provinces to form Mughals who are actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

form Mughals who are actually good.
Confirming this:

To get Third Way I need to conquer Mali, Tunis (including one island in the Caribbean), Ottomans, Persia, and Yarkand, who is a vassal of the Russians. The Russians own a bunch of Muslim provinces that they have failed to convert in the past 50 years so my next war will be with them to tear Yarkand off and take the heretic provinces from them.

I have five armies of 80k, which have 26k Inf, 6k Cav, and 28k Art each. I rest at 120% Discipline, totally insane Morale (Defensive + 99 Army Tradition + Defender of the Faith + Power Projection + Prestige + a policy). It is rare when I do not stackwipe my opponents, unless they are Prussian or 100k+ Ming chaff.

edit: I had been excited about this at the time, hoping it would help break down the Ottomans faster:
Fly Conquer my pretties pathetic heathen European powers!

They didnt do much; I trucebroke twice after the war(s) in this screenshot just to be good and thorough so I'm not rushing in another 20 years with too much to do, which is what got me to the first screenshot above. Diplomatic is an amazing idea group btw

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 28, 2017

• Locked thread