Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

It's worth keeping in mind here that Eve is a machine created to wipe out Humanity/Androids so his generic alien masters can take over. Said alien masters were wiped out centuries before Eve was even born (or whatever you call ripping your way out of your brother's stomach.) When he says this world is meaningless, he's not exactly wrong.

Well, maybe for him.

We've got moon humans! I'm sure, in classic JRPG fashion, they will be totally great and make all this work worth it and not at all assholes who are worse than the machines in an ironic twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

KamikazePotato posted:

Doesnt really fit.

FF1 - Ancient evil
FF2 - Evil emperor
FF3 - Ancient Evil
FF4 - Ancient Evil
FF5 - Ancient Evil
FF6 - Omnicidal crazy clown
FF7 - Arrogant wacko swordsman...and an ancient evil
FF8 - I don't even know
FF9 - Arrogant wacko mage...and then an ancient evil
FF10 - Arrogant wacko mage...and then a fish
FF13 - Some weird god things?
FF15 - dunno

I can't really think of another RPG villain with the exact motivation that Eve has. With that said, his design makes him seem more generic than he is.

You missed FF12 - Evil emperor... and then some weird god things

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

FF12's main antagonist was my own inability to stay awake, so that doesn't fit at all.
Same but for FFXIII
FFXII and FFT are my favorite games in the series because for the most part the evil monsters trying to destroy the world are basically secondary villains to a huge cast of nobles and aristocrats manipulating and backstabbing each other.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zagglezig posted:

My X has died, therefore the world deserves death is more of an anime villain's motivation than any game I can think of. Maybe Dark Cloud 2 is similar enough?

Grahf and Krelian in Xenogears. "My girlfriend/girl I creeped on died because she was too stupid to know how an escape pod worked, so I will kill everything and then God."

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Forgall posted:

God, it's such a stock jrpg villain speech.

The A route final chapter is pretty lackluster. Not to say there's no cliche stuff later but If the game ended after eve it would have been super disappointing.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Solitair posted:

FF14 - All of the above, except maybe the omnicidal crazy clown

Plus Magitech Roman Empire, Evil Religion Guy, and Ancient Arrogant Wacko Dragon

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Sgt Thud posted:

Plus Magitech Roman Empire, Evil Religion Guy, and Ancient Arrogant Wacko Dragon
And that's only just the main storyline, before the almost-as-long postgame that then leads into two very large expansions, featuring yet more kaiju and evil religious nutters who seem to have stolen their meeting room from Organisation XIII.

At least in the sense that it's the same kind of "semi-circle of pillars for each individual member to lounge around on" design, except all rocky and evil instead of white and sterile.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
FF13 ultimately ends on "God is a dick. Kill him."

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulhuchan posted:

FF13: It's rear end in a top hat gods all the way down.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

KamikazePotato posted:

Doesnt really fit.

FF1 - Ancient evil
FF2 - Evil emperor
FF3 - Ancient Evil
FF4 - Ancient Evil
FF5 - Ancient Evil
FF6 - Omnicidal crazy clown
FF7 - Arrogant wacko swordsman...and an ancient evil
FF8 - I don't even know
FF9 - Arrogant wacko mage...and then an ancient evil
FF10 - Arrogant wacko mage...and then a fish
FF13 - Some weird god things?
FF15 - dunno

I can't really think of another RPG villain with the exact motivation that Eve has. With that said, his design makes him seem more generic than he is.

FF15 is basically the world's longest pissing contest between two branches of a royal family

also Eve should have been voiced by Cam Clarke

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

: You killed my brother...such...unending pain...Uggghhh

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Cthulhuchan posted:

That's at least one of the endings for Guardian Heroes, too.

"God, you suck, so we're going to kick the poo poo out of you."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Beefstew posted:

Nowe/Drakengard 2 isn't canon. Nice try.

Official =/= canon. Besides, it looks drat cool.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

VolticSurge posted:

Now I want Yoko Taro to make a Saints Row game. Can't be worse than Gat Outta Hell.

Cue his Saints Row game being as wacky as ever in terms of gameplay... and bringing The Boss back to their Saints' Row 2 levels of sociopathy, deconstructing the entire concept of a wacky open world game.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Same but for FFXIII
FFXII and FFT are my favorite games in the series because for the most part the evil monsters trying to destroy the world are basically secondary villains to a huge cast of nobles and aristocrats manipulating and backstabbing each other.

So... A Song of Ice and Fire: Final Fantasy Edition?

exploded mummy posted:

In spite of the Drakengard 3 reference below, that would only work if Adam were played by David Hayter.
...and then the Aliens were voiced by Richard Doyle and/or Kiefer Sutherland.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
FFT had actual loving behelits in it so it's alright in my book!

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

pulsor93 posted:

So... A Song of Ice and Fire: Final Fantasy Edition?

The final boss is a magic patricidal fascist, so... yeah pretty much.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXIII: Parasite Eve

New Music: Dependent Weakling
(You should probably listen to the final boss theme.)

It’s funny to think about how Eve is doing all these dramatic scowls with his creeping skin condition and mugging for the camera, meanwhile 2B and 9S are like 40 feet away at a bad angle and can barely see or hear him.

Well, there’s no way this can be any worse than the last time I did a LP that had an endgame heavily involving a character named Eve. Even if it does still involve another female character whose cloths can explode off if they take enough damage...

RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! I... I...!

So Eve has become a Magneto for this final battle. He now has gravity powers to call forth debris from the machine lifeform corpse whirlwind at will. The thing is, the shirtless wonder boy isn’t the most creative of fellows so he mostly utilizes his newfound powers to affix trash to his arms to do an extended double-fisted swipe or to pull a garbage man Zangief and do a spinning lariat with extendo arms. Or he can use his doom fists to perform a giant clap that shatters his enhanced arms on impact, creating a small AOE of damage. Or the hitbox for that one is way larger than the animation. It’s hard to tell. There’s a LOT of particle effects flying around for this fight.

The younger machineman brother is also rather unfocused and will shift the focus of his ire towards the first android he sees after completing any attack. Which means 9S’s AI gets clowned a lot during this battle by virtue of being the first in the line of sight against the boss. Which is fine. That just gives us more room to hack away at Eve.

At close range, Eve forgets about his buffed up trash arm powers and will just try to punch the poo poo out of any androids within punching distance. No fancy fighting game style axe kicks or flying uppercuts. Just clumsy angry haymakers all around.

Rounding out his attacks, if 2B or 9S aren’t within range for punching while he’s accumulated another pile of junk, he will instead opt to just toss a pile of poo poo in the androids direction. It ain’t fancy but it gets the job done.

Once Eve reaches around 50% health, he’ll switch tactics to a rather obnoxious phase. Eve leaps high into the air and uses his gravity powers to create a series of floating platforms. From high up, Eve begins just tossing trash at 2B from out of range.

So of course, our only course of action is to do some awkward platforming to reach Eve’s position and kick him in the head to get the jerk to knock it off with the potshots. This part sucks pretty hard because the platforms randomly raise and lower with little rhyme or reason and the camera is not at all cooperative in giving us a good view of the next platform as well as Eve to avoid his attacks. They were nice enough to put invisible guard rails on the platforms so Eve’s attacks don’t knock 2B to the ground. That’s one real design lovely pitfall far too many boss battles seem to neglect avoiding.

One we reach Eve’s platform, all he does is attempt to sucker punch 2B and yell a bunch in anger. As it turns out, it’s not the most effective way to deal with a combat android stabbing you repeatedly.

After a while of 2B getting up in his grill from his previously safe perch, Eve gives up on the platform tactic and returns to ground level. The rumble in the sky also took Eve to below 33% health. Which means it’s time for him to shift to the next phase of the fight.

What is it?
The energy seems to be coming from a large number of linked machine lifeforms.
He’s absorbing the lifeforce of whatever’s left on the network.

In other words, Eve is sucking the energy out of all the machines in the area and refilling his life bar. I kind of hate when bosses do something like this. I’d prefer just having a new phase with a separate health bar than the jerk going “nuh-uh I got a full heal and there’s nothing you can do” while blowing a raspberry like a schoolyard dick kid.

I’m going to try hacking into Eve and shutting him down! Back me up, 2B!
On it. Protecting unit 9S while he hacks the system!
The enemy is connected to a vast network. Analysis: The actions of unit 9S have an unacceptably low probability of success. Proposal: Unit 2B should abandon unit 9S and save—
Shut up! If 9S says he can do it, then he will!

For this next phase we need to draw Eve’s aggro while 9S fills that circle meter that has appeared over Eve. Turns out hacking is like casting a spell in NieR: Automata and requires an extended period of raising your arm and concentrating on the attack. Eve doesn’t gain any new attacks in this phase. Nor can we kill him. His health can be depleted back down to the bare minimum. But Eve will just summon another swarm of machine lifeforms to suck out their energy to boost himself to max HP again.

In any case, after a couple minutes of holding off Eve’s assault, 9S is successful in VAC banning Eve from the machine network. Eve is now in Ironman Mode like his brother was prior to his death. There are no continues here, pal.

Eve doesn’t take kindly to having his internet access revoked and releases a Cutscene Brand™ burst of energy in protest which knocks back and stuns 2B.

Eve immediately follows up with an attempt at a finishing blow on the android. But...

EEEEEEEEEEVVVVVEEEEEEEEE!!

Pfft. Hahaha. 9S, when did you get the coveted Trash Fist power? Don’t tell me you duct taped that poo poo to your arm or something. We’re not helping if that limb explodes on impact.

The rare anger fist bump.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!

Loving this poo poo RRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!

Nobody wins! At least, that would be the case if it were just 9S vs. Eve. But...

You showed up to a tag-team match flying solo. This ain’t gonna end your way, guy.

With a bit of effort, 2B managed to shatter Eve’s trash augmented arm which promptly explodes for no good reason.

Music: ENDS

The explosion sends 2B flying and both breaks her sword and knocks off her blindfold advanced combat goggles.

2B is not quite out of the fight yet and still has all of her limbs intact, even if her weapon has seen better days.

The same cannot be said of Eve, who is going to have to start learning to write left handed from here on out. Assuming he’s literate, of course. We don’t have much in the way of Eve’s capabilities beyond leather pants and anger issues.

Music: The Sound of the End

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!

We’re not quite done here yet. There’s one final phase to the final fight against Eve.

Hey, remember the Shadowlord and his fondness for flying around the arena at rapid speeds and launching huge walls of energy orbs? Guess what tactic Eve is bring back in style for this last round of the fight!

Kill... Kill! KIIIIIIIILL!! RAAAAARRRRGGGH!! Nothing matters anymoooooooore!!

The only tactic for this fight is to always be firing with the Pod and try to rush Eve since he can be completely stunlocked with physical attacks at close range for a time. He’ll eventually zoom off to the other side of the arena and resume the orb bombardment. But that’s about it. However, after falling below 50% health...

I’ll k-kill... you all... I’ll... My brother... ARGGGGHHH! I’ll erase you... I’ll ERASE EVERYTHING!!

Alert: NFCS (Near Field Combat System) destroyed. Close-range combat no longer operable.

Eve unleashes an unavoidable burst of energy which severely fucks up 2B and 9S. Now 2B can only move at a limping walk, the HUD is all kinds of jacked up and melee attacks have been disabled. As has the Pod Program system.

For this last stretch, all we can do is keep our distance and continue primary Pod fire on Eve while avoiding orbs or face tanking them and healing up accordingly. It’s not the easiest stuff to avoid when 2B only has a wounded shuffle. Poor 9S’s AI just takes everything on the nose for this pitiful conclusion to the fight.

Music: The Sound of the End (Quiet)

Once Eve’s HP is completely depleted, he immediately sheds his black painted skin makeover and drops to the ground like a rock. At the same time, all of 2B’s in-game attacks become busted. Good timing we took him out just then. That would have been awkward if our Pod busted a minute earlier.

Tune in next time when we figure out what to do with this beaten crazed shirtless machineman and we reach NieR: Automata’s first proper ending.

Video: Eve Boss Battle
(It’s the final boss of the first ending. You should probably watch it.)

Eve Final Boss Concept Art - For some reason his beefy trash arms just reminds me of the angry dipshit from Prototype 2.

Eve Final Phase Concept Art – Originally he was going to be more blatantly Shadowlord-esque with energy wings and such.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Some further concept art:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite because it's basically the War Of The Roses, but with wizards. But the evil demon magic plot is kind of running to the side of that, and the whole premise of the game's framing device is that Ramza is a great hero forgotten by history, because of the total chaos of the war, and the horrible demon murder plots were likewise more or less covered up by the chaos of the fight over the throne.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Aww, why'd you have to remind me of Prototype 2? I hate what it did with the protagonist of the first game.

And hey, this is the part where you redeem Eve and he realizes the error of his ways and joins your side, right?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So... by removing the last network administrator, what will happen to the remaining machines who were on the network?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stephen9001 posted:

So... by removing the last network administrator, what will happen to the remaining machines who were on the network?

Nothing good, I'm guessing. They turn into 4chan? Does that place have admins?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Stephen9001 posted:

Was there a dedicated network administrator at the start of the game, when a bunch of the machines were just kinda roaming around? I figure it'd just sorta go back to that.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Was there a dedicated network administrator at the start of the game, when a bunch of the machines were just kinda roaming around? I figure it'd just sorta go back to that.

This might be what you'd think, but considering what happened when Adam died... I'm guessing it's not that simple.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

FFT had actual loving behelits in it so it's alright in my book!

You know, I never really thought about it like that but it absolutely did.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Id must be lucky, because I certainly got knocked off the platforms by Eve shooting at me (from offscreen, constantly) when I did it. Possibly the worst part of the game.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Berserk casts a long shadow. (Because it's been running for more than 25 years and will outlive us all, including the original author.)

When I reached Eve for the first time my controller was on the verge of running out of battery power and the charging cable was hosed up. Added a little extra tension to the race to beat him down. Which was helpful because I was about level 40 and capable of face-tanking everything he threw out, so it had to come from somewhere.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bruceski posted:

Nothing good, I'm guessing. They turn into 4chan? Does that place have admins?

Well that does give an interesting interpretation to future events :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed similarities between Eve and the Shadowlord's final stage. Also, did anybody else feel like Eve's gigantic trash-hands attack reminded them of Nier's cutscene-powered Dark Hand attacks? I know "GIGANTIC SPELL HANDS" aren't uncommon in this kind of media, but that stuck out to me for some reason.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Stephen9001 posted:

Become As Gods Become As Gods

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I never managed to get up to Eve during the floating platforms phase. I think he just gives up eventually or I was somehow plinking at him with pod fire from the ground.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

grancheater posted:

I never managed to get up to Eve during the floating platforms phase. I think he just gives up eventually or I was somehow plinking at him with pod fire from the ground.

You may also have done enough damage to skip that phase. It's doable.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

END ME SCOOB posted:

You may also have done enough damage to skip that phase. It's doable.

Makes you question why the platforms even exist. There's no logical reason for him to make them, and you can win without them.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Makes you question why the platforms even exist. There's no logical reason for him to make them, and you can win without them.

IM ANGRY gently caress ROCKS

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

AirborneNinja posted:

IM ANGRY gently caress ROCKS

Yeah, that's pretty much his entire strategy right there.

Qrr posted:

And hey, this is the part where you redeem Eve and he realizes the error of his ways and joins your side, right?

If this were a normal JRPG, that'd be a solid maybe. Since this is :yokotaro:, though, I'm pretty sure he's about to get a stab to the motherboard. And then the processors. And then everything else, just 'cause. (I could be wrong about the exact order of stabbing, though...)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Melee and ranged combat are offline- we're not going to have to self-destruct, are we?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kavak posted:

Melee and ranged combat are offline- we're not going to have to self-destruct, are we?

This is the point where 9S and 2B unleash their magic powers. All their other means of attack are broken and it's only in your most desperate that you unleash your devil trigger.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

The only spell they know is self destruct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

AirborneNinja posted:

The only spell they know is self destruct.

And yet people say they're not human

• Locked thread