Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Community Season 6 was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Community season 6?

The Cape?

Yes both good examples of excellent TV!

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God I loved the Cape so loving much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Arist posted:

You know that's not true.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Lurdiak posted:

Regardless of it's final level of quality, you can't argue it would have been better without Keith David.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Arist posted:

Dexo posted:

God I loved the Cape so loving much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Klungar posted:

Regardless of it's final level of quality, you can't argue it would have been better without Keith David.

Precisely. I did NOT say that David inherently makes something good, only that his presence makes it better than it would be without him there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lurdiak posted:

It's my second favorite season????

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
S4 of BTVS has the killer 2 episode arc where Gellar has to be Faith in Buffy's body and she crushes it. That mirror scene is fantastic.

You can't do that! It's naughty!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

USA Today wasn't too hot on The Defenders.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...solo/509425001/

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

lol

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I'm surprised, but less surprised after I realized Brian Truitt didn't review it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

One would hope that The Defenders would shy away from Danny and his petulance, but unfortunately, Iron Fist is integral to the larger plot. Every scene featuring him drags, and he is in too many to ignore, with clunkier dialogue than his fellows.

quote:

It’s unfair to blame Iron Fist for all of The Defenders' problems. Like all of the solo series, it’s poorly paced, and takes far too long for the heroes to team up. They don’t appear together until the end of Episode 3.

lol people thought the pacing would be better because it's 8 episodes instead of 13

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'm going to say Finn was their first tremendous gently caress up in casting. He's just not the guy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Most of the Defenders reviews have been positive, for what that's worth.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Even that USA Today lady who hated it just seemed to really hate Iron Fist.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I didn't hate Iron Fist, so I'll probably enjoy it either way. I just want to see 4.5 superheroes punch goons and banter at each other.

But if S2 of Luke Cage and Iron Fist isn't just them together in Heroes for Hire...hoo boy. It's gonna be rough.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm still slogging my way through Iron Fist with three god damned episodes to go because I want to be caught up for Defenders, and because I hate myself.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm still slogging my way through Iron Fist with three god damned episodes to go because I want to be caught up for Defenders, and because I hate myself.

Shut I need more booze

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I still haven't finished Jessica Jones, Dare Devil s2 or Iron Fist. I should really get on with those before Defenders but I'm getting a 4k TV next week so I might as well hold off until then.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I mostly paid attention to Colleen Wing when watching Iron Fist.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Happy Hippo posted:

Iron Fist isn't bad, per se, but it just... is. It never gets truly awful, but it very rarely gets truly great.

Ward, his Dad, and Madame Gao give standout performances but they are secondary characters. The leads are just okay. There's one amazing fight scene and 2 or 3 pretty good ones in the course of 13 episodes.

The only thing you can really look forward to is that Iron Fist is the only Marvel Netflix show where the second half is definitely better than the first half.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Iron Fist isn't bad, per se, but it just... is. It never gets truly awful, but it very rarely gets truly great.

Ward, his Dad, and Madame Gao give standout performances but they are secondary characters. The leads are just okay. There's one amazing fight scene and 2 or 3 pretty good ones in the course of 13 episodes.

The only thing you can really look forward to is that Iron Fist is the only Marvel Netflix show where the second half is definitely better than the first half.

Iron Fist is the most consistent at least. I liked the front half of Luke Cage and the back half of DD2 more, but after the first two episodes of Iron Fist, it stays pretty entertaining the whole run.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I completely disagree. The first two episodes of Iron Fist are loving horrible. Then the show kind of settles into consistent mediocrity and then introduces a bunch of great characters who we barely get to know because the show is already 2/3rds done so it does improve in like the 2nd and 3rd to last episodes. And then we kind of have a wet fart of an ending with a *rooftop battle*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haha from the Sepinwall article

quote:

Iron Fist (fighting alongside Jessica Henwick’s Colleen Wing), who’s unfortunately just as much of a petulant charisma vacuum as you remember. (Even when he means to sound threatening, he comes across like he’s annoyed you mixed up his pizza toppings.)

Def not too excited about this series, which is a shame.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I find I seldom agree with Sepinwall

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
We already had 13 episodes of Danny being terrible and I doubt anything happened with Finn between IF and Defenders to make him change. I'd be glad if it did, but I'm already preparing myself to cringe whenever he shows up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just kill him off and replace him with Diedrich Bader playing the old grizzled Iron Fist who uses guns.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I mostly watched Colleen because she is just so darn cute. Iron Fist is definitely the most consistent of the Netflix series. Unfortunately it's consistently meh. It's like the first Thor for me. It's never quite terrible, but you keep waiting for it to be very good and it never gets there.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I liked it well enough but I also watched it at work during night shifts so I was pretty easy to please, just do it that way and you'll be fine

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Just kill him off and replace him with Diedrich Bader playing the old grizzled Iron Fist who uses guns.

I always knew I liked you, Lurdiak.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I still want a Daughters of the Dragon series.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Seeing as how Luke Cage was good, then took a nosedive in quality at the halfway point, and Iron Fist was poo poo through and through, they need to do a team up series with both of them and give it to a better showrunner.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Iron Fist season 2 does have a new showrunner, I believe, because Buck is doing Inhumans.

There's also a rumour that the contract for DD s3 and IF s2 comes to 23 episodes, so one or both of the shows may be doing a reduced episode count.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

10 episodes per season seems about right for the Netflix Marvel stuff

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

10 episodes per season seems about right for the Netflix Marvel stuff

3 of them a year at 8 episodes would probably be perfect. It's almost the same number of episodes per year and when one of them is a disappointment you don't have that long to wait for the next one.

I realize I'm talking about Marvel/Netflix shows the way people talk about lovely heroin.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Netflix are also splitting this season of Voltron up in to with the second part coming out around two months later. It's nice to see them starting to adapt to stupid fixed episode numbers and schedules that affect production for no seemingly good reason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ufarn posted:

Netflix are also splitting this season of Voltron up in to with the second part coming out around two months later. It's nice to see them starting to adapt to stupid fixed episode numbers and schedules that affect production for no seemingly good reason.

The princess better get in a freakin' lion in this set of episodes though!

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Voltron LD have said that they're switching from releasing "seasons" to doing "episode drops". Basically, they're doing 78 eps total, once they have enough ready for an arc, or a logical break-point, they'll release them. Makes total sense to me given the netflix model, it's not like saving a bunch of finished episodes for 6 months makes sense anymore.

Edit: Hopefully more shows go this way where it makes sense to. i.e less eps more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lets talk about how good the Herr Starr origin was in last night's Preacher.

(Sooo good.)