Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I find there's no substitute for playing against competitive decklists to understand them. MTGO is my vehicle of choice but $$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

sit on my Facebook posted:

4 Insolent Neonate
4 Flameblade Adept
4 Bloodrage Brawler
4 Noose Constrictor
4 Honored Hydra
2 Rhonas, the Indomitable
3 Hazoret, the Fervent

4 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
3 Tormenting Voice

4 Cinder Glade
4 Game Trail
4 Forest
1 Geier-Reach Sanitarium
11 Mountain

SIDEBOARD
2 Magma Spray
2 Incendiary Flow
2 Struggle to Survive
1 Insult to Injury
2 Blossoming Defense
2 Heaven to Earth
1 Samut the Tested
2 Abrade
1 Natural State

Gonna quote myself in advance of the pro tour and say that while my janky home brew obviously won't catch on in that scene, it should. My friends and I have been testing standard and this deck is frankly absurd. Brewing has become a frustrating exercise for my buddies because they just get ruthlessly smashed out by this list, repeatedly.

I've posted it a few times itt but I'm nowhere near turbofog levels of repetitive posting so I'm gonna signal boost it again to try to get it to catch on. Seriously, go play a few games with it. It's tier 1 power level. I'd love to hear some feedback from the good players in this thread after they've seen it go

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

ShaneB posted:

I basically can't watch live magic anymore, the breaks are too uninteresting and frequent.
You, and many others in this thread may be interested to know that they FINALLY added playback speed to Twitch, so you will be able to fire up the delayed or archived feed and skip all the garbage and watch it at 2x, in theory.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Gonna quote myself in advance of the pro tour and say that while my janky home brew obviously won't catch on in that scene, it should. My friends and I have been testing standard and this deck is frankly absurd. Brewing has become a frustrating exercise for my buddies because they just get ruthlessly smashed out by this list, repeatedly.

I've posted it a few times itt but I'm nowhere near turbofog levels of repetitive posting so I'm gonna signal boost it again to try to get it to catch on. Seriously, go play a few games with it. It's tier 1 power level. I'd love to hear some feedback from the good players in this thread after they've seen it go

I played this deck months ago when Amonket came out, almost that exact list actually. Brought it to FNMs and played dozens of games with it on MTGO. It's fast and brutal with putting power on the battlefield but at a certain point it just runs out of gas. The quality of removal in this standard is extremely high, and the deck has exactly zero tools to protect its board and very few to dig for more action. Not that an aggressive deck like it should, but I found that the removal package run by decks like Mardu Vehicles was very difficult to beat. I eventually transitioned first to a RG energy aggro, which had more reach and better protection, then to Temur energy midrange, then to other tempo decks that could play a threat and actually stick it.

The current RDW deck does a very similar thing by imposing a brutal clock on every deck it plays. Some decks can stymie this fine, those that can't aren't going to be viable in the metagame. That does put a big restriction on brews, as you say, but not an insurmountable one.

Also run 4 Ramunap Ruins in place of 4 Mountains.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 27, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

TwistedNails posted:

Look at those decknames on YouTube for play videos or read primers on mtggoldfish, channel fireball, or starcitygames. Also watching MTG streamers and ask questions. Or install xmage and play the decks yourself for free before buying into them.

Unless it's that drat mill deck cos I don't think there's a single vid of it anywhere

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

I'm gonna throw it up on XMage and spin the wheels

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PMush Perfect posted:

I only have a debit card because my credit is nonexistent.

Maybe if you're living paycheque to paycheque and have zero credit to your name then spending your money on frivolous magical cards is not the wisest plan of action.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lone Goat posted:

Maybe if you're living paycheque to paycheque and have zero credit to your name then spending your money on frivolous magical cards is not the wisest plan of action.
Probably not.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Lone Goat posted:

Fixed that for you.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

80s James Hetfield posted:

I'm gonna throw it up on XMage and spin the wheels

Try subbing the Geier-Reach Sanitarium for a Hostile Desert, I've been meaning to try that out. I'm less high on the Ramunap Ruins plan that the other guy mentioned because it weakens Game Trail and Cinder Glade, but I'm not sure it does by enough to be meaningful. Probably worth trying as well, but I like the mana base as is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

Magic is a game for children

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The PT Stream is live. The draft is about to start.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lets all talk about LSV's jacket....

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Lets all talk about LSV's jacket....

He has a younger woman in his life, he has to be fashionable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

He has a younger woman in his life, he has to be fashionable.

Thats fashionable?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What was that, a tenth or eleventh pick Oasis Ritualist? Kentaro Yamamoto might be good at drafting, guys

E: also he P2P1ed Rampaging Hippo over Rhonas's Last Stand, which is surprising to me

E2: Kentaro's deck is absolutely completely unreal

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 28, 2017

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Elyv posted:

What was that, a tenth or eleventh pick Oasis Ritualist? Kentaro Yamamoto might be good at drafting, guys

E: also he P2P1ed Rampaging Hippo over Rhonas's Last Stand, which is surprising to me

E2: Kentaro's deck is absolutely completely unreal

Yeah, Archfiend of Ifnir into Hapatra into double Decimator Beetle was exciting. Some of the drafting was a bit odd but his colors were clearly insanely open.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

Yeah, Archfiend of Ifnir into Hapatra into double Decimator Beetle was exciting. Some of the drafting was a bit odd but his colors were clearly insanely open.

Black actually wasn't open, he didn't see any premium black commons like Final Reward or even very many just average ones, I think. Now, BG specifically? That was open.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Excited to hear what TWoo has to say.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

Excited to hear what TWoo has to say.

probably something about how the holodomor was just western propaganda

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mandatory lesbian posted:

probably something about how the holodomor was just western propaganda

He's a neo-nazi, not a Stalinist shill.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Kentaro Yamamoto's insane Haptara synergies are making me so happy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Star Man posted:

He's a neo-nazi, not a Stalinist shill.
Kidding aside, do we actually think he's a neo-nazi or just a total goober who doesn't understand the implications of what he was saying? A friend of mine likes to mildly stick up for TWoo when our group of friends mocks him and I'm never quite sure how hard I should be coming down on his defense. Emphasis on mildly.

Man I wanna make a joke about TWoo next leveling it to complaining about how "Germany never lost ww1" or the "Jewish bolshevik conspiracy" but I feel like no one is going to get why those are jokes.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Owen lost round one, hooray. I really don't want to see him as draft master. Juza winning it would be awesome and Twoo winning it would be hilarious.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Thats fashionable?

... I guess someone has to balance out Marshall.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

I tested the hell out a similar deck in AKH standard, and ultimately it just didn't have the right power level for me. I absolutely hated Tormenting Voice in this deck, its so awkward with Hazoret, Thankfully Earthshaker Khenra is completely insane, you should be running 4. The eternalize half of the card turns on Rhonas, and you can even cast it and pump it with Rhonas to enable him and add power with the trigger on the stack to take out a blocker. I'd also make an effort to cut Flameblade Adept for something that works better with the rest of the deck.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Entropic posted:

He looks like he's running for President of the Condo Board at Del Boca Vista.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It looks like he's wearing the inner liner of a winter coat

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Went to my first sealed league last night, was hoping you guys could give me some input. There's a chance I won't be going back because the only other player was the store owner. Here's my pool:

Rares (They are...not great):
1 cascading cataracts
1 Oketra's last mercy
1 Leave/Chance

Uncommons by color
1 sunscourge champion
1 imaginary threats
1 hashep oasis
1 watchful naga
1 torment of scarabs
1 ruthless sniper
1 destined/lead
1 inferno jet
1 resolute survivors

Commons
1 final reward
1 cursed minotaur
1 wretched camel
1 trespasser's curse
1 lethal sting
1 granitic titan
1 blur of blades
1 bloodlust inciter
1 puncturing blow
2 beneath the sands
1 life goes on
1 frilled sandwalla
1 gift of strength
1 colossapede
1 harrier naga
2 dutiful servants
1 steadfast sentinel
1 sacred cat
1 unwavering initiate
1 anointer priest
1 desert of the true
1 cunning survivor
1 unquenchable thirst
1 tah-crop skirmisher
1 winds of rebuke
1 spellweaver eternal
1 traveller's amulet
1 survivor's encampment

I went 2 and 2, which was kinda nuts as his rares were crested sunmare, archfiend of ifnir, and something else (plus a foil leave/chance)

Built a White/Green/Black. The two games I won were pretty much completely from having a decent curve, getting torment of scarabs, and being able to exile/kill his sunmare and archfiend.

What would you have made?

Also oketra's last mercy is useless.

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 28, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Marketing New Brain posted:

I tested the hell out a similar deck in AKH standard, and ultimately it just didn't have the right power level for me. I absolutely hated Tormenting Voice in this deck, its so awkward with Hazoret, Thankfully Earthshaker Khenra is completely insane, you should be running 4. The eternalize half of the card turns on Rhonas, and you can even cast it and pump it with Rhonas to enable him and add power with the trigger on the stack to take out a blocker. I'd also make an effort to cut Flameblade Adept for something that works better with the rest of the deck.

I don't think you can do that, as "target creature with power less than or equal to" is a restriction on the targets. Once Khenra enters the battlefield, you have to put the trigger on the stack right away, so you have to pick a creature with power less than or equal as the target. Furthermore, the Gatherer says:

6/27/2017 The target creature’s power is checked when you target it with Earthshaker Khenra’s ability and when that ability resolves. Once the ability resolves, if the creature’s power increases or Earthshaker Khenra’s power decreases, the target creature will still be unable to block.
6/27/2017 Spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities can’t raise Earthshaker Khenra’s power before you have to choose a target for its ability. Static abilities, such as that of Lord of the Accursed, will raise its power in time to let you target a larger creature.

So it doesn't matter how P/T changes after the ability is targeted.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Entropic posted:

lsv fully embracing his new dad role

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, the target of a spell or ability has to be valid when you put that ability on the stack. You can't just choose an illegal target and then try to make it legal at some point later before the ability resolves.

If a creature with power 2 has a "target creature with power less than or equal to this creature's power" ability, you can't target a 4/4 with that ability any more than you could target Thrun with a Doom Blade.

And there's no point between when the creature enters the battlefield and its ability goes on the stack where you have priority.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 28, 2017

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheDemon posted:

I don't think you can do that, as "target creature with power less than or equal to" is a restriction on the targets. Once Khenra enters the battlefield, you have to put the trigger on the stack right away, so you have to pick a creature with power less than or equal as the target. Furthermore, the Gatherer says:

6/27/2017 The target creature’s power is checked when you target it with Earthshaker Khenra’s ability and when that ability resolves. Once the ability resolves, if the creature’s power increases or Earthshaker Khenra’s power decreases, the target creature will still be unable to block.
6/27/2017 Spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities can’t raise Earthshaker Khenra’s power before you have to choose a target for its ability. Static abilities, such as that of Lord of the Accursed, will raise its power in time to let you target a larger creature.

So it doesn't matter how P/T changes after the ability is targeted.

Oh right, the modern templating is so weird. I thought it was just a trigger that on resolution checked to see the power between the two creatures, but you can't fizzle it because it only works based on the ETB strength.

I like old templating better, for stuff like this and O-Rings it was nice how you could do weird tricks with them. I didn't realize it wasn't just "Choose target creature. If it has power less than or equal to ESK, it can't block" but yeah the way it is designed, no cool tricks.

e: I also think Earthshaker is still an auto include in any red beatdown deck

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 28, 2017

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I actually won my first two ever league matches tonight. Anointed procession and the Regal Caracal did some work.

Also bought a pack of theros because I'm a dumbass and opened a thoughtseize.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

lsv fully embracing his new dad role
He should try embracing the "dating someone younger and more attractive than me" role because that jacket is loving atrocious.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

He still looks a lot better than that shitlord efro did in a full suit.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TwistedNails posted:

He still looks a lot better than that shitlord efro did in a full suit.

thanks for reminding me to look up one of my favorite MtG images:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
rip pikula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

He went 1-2 in the draft. I hope he has a broken Standard deck and ends up winning the Pro Tour.

e: holy poo poo Pikula got 41%, so he'd have gotten in with the old rules.