Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Magi's general setting, lore, and characters a lot, and it could have been almost a perfect shounen series if it improved on some of its weaknesses (like kinda lack-luster fights, which is a shame because the whole "equipment with a theme" thing has a lot of potential for creativity). I actually liked its big flashback arc from a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know if i'm the only one in the thread reading Haikyuu while the anime's on break but i'm very happy they're finally giving some major focus to Tanaka because he's my favourite.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Last chapter of Fairy Tale is out on MS fwiw.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
souboutei continues to be rad as heck

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Latest Astra : :supaburn:. That is all.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Has anyone ever read Law of Ueki? Is it any good? I keep seeing it in stores and am curious about it, but can't find much in the way of reviews or impressions, so I figured I'd ask here before checking it out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's pretty good and kinda weird. not gonna rock your world, or anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's pretty good.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Has anyone ever read Law of Ueki? Is it any good? I keep seeing it in stores and am curious about it, but can't find much in the way of reviews or impressions, so I figured I'd ask here before checking it out.

ive always thought it was that mangaka's strongest work until saike came out

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ueki plus and the one about underground people weren't very good, yeah.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

the bit in the anime where the guy ueki is fighting baby talks his really cute summon (they all had names but it was like a rectangular stick) is one of the hardest laughs i've had at an anime

but it's very average over all

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's a lot of weird powers in it, too bad the main character basically abandons his once he finds out he's a jediwizardalien god.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'll admit the 'weird powers' angle is definitely the driving force behind my interest. The wikipedia article on it told me nothing about the plot other than it being about Superpower Tournament Battles, but the only thing I've ever known about the series that's stuck with me is that the main guy makes trees out of garbage and I want to know how that works. Is it strategic tree growing, are they Kurama/Usopp style random anime-trees with their own powers, is he made of trees, I just gotta know. I'm sure I'll sit down and read/watch it one day.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's p decent on that end and some of the god powers are still really weird and interesting anyways. it's worth going through imo some of the later themes get p crazy

if you like it i highly recommend saike though. it seems a lot more tightly composed plot wise compared to their post ueki works

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, for some unknown reason it got a very faithful anime adaption. nothing skipped, nothing rushed, okay-ish animation quality. that pretty much never happens for shounen manga.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Yeah you might just want to watch the anime. It all seems to be on Youtube too.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'll admit the 'weird powers' angle is definitely the driving force behind my interest. The wikipedia article on it told me nothing about the plot other than it being about Superpower Tournament Battles, but the only thing I've ever known about the series that's stuck with me is that the main guy makes trees out of garbage and I want to know how that works. Is it strategic tree growing, are they Kurama/Usopp style random anime-trees with their own powers, is he made of trees, I just gotta know. I'm sure I'll sit down and read/watch it one day.

Most of the powers in Ueki are turning one thing into another, usually with a condition attached. So Ueki's is Trash into Trees, but it only works on trash that is small enough to hold.

Other notable ones in the series:

Towels into Iron
Marbles into Bombs
Tomatoes into Lava
Sound into Drawings
ect.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 28, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, for some unknown reason it got a very faithful anime adaption. nothing skipped, nothing rushed, okay-ish animation quality. that pretty much never happens for shounen manga.

Oh drat, like start-to-finish faithfully adapted, the whole series? That's great to know, thanks! That is like finding a unicorn, and I like quality anime adaptations more than I like unicorns.

RatHat posted:

Other notable ones in the series:

Towels into Iron
Marbles into Bombs
Tomatoes into Lava
Sound into Drawings
ect
The last one is a little less impressive since JoJo's had Sound into Dinosaurs already, but up until that point it was like that Expanding Brain meme and I am rightly sold.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Double post, but the newest We Never Learn was painfully cute. I really do like these dorks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just read the first chapter of cross chat and it owns

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
it's a shame the basic synopsis doesn't really sell how good Rokudou no Onna-tachi actually is. it's so much better than "bad girls fall in love with loser MC" sounds.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If I wanted to get people to read it at all costs I'd say it reminds me of Angel Densetsu.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

read through all of black torch recently (there's not a lot) and it's pretty good. it's kinda like early bleach if yoruichi had found ichigo instead of rukia

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RubberLuffy posted:

it's a shame the basic synopsis doesn't really sell how good Rokudou no Onna-tachi actually is. it's so much better than "bad girls fall in love with loser MC" sounds.

It's real good, and the secret is that he's not actually a loser.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
It also helps that he's not conveniently falling over face first into vaginas all the time.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

And that he still has a bunch of male friends around. Best MC in a while.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sukeban are a cool cultural thing. There's something I find really funny/cool about delinquents wearing their skirts longer than normal.

vvv I don't know what first chapter you read, but I really doubt that any actual romance is going to stem from the use of his love potion-esque superpower.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 4, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The synopsis put me off immediately and the first chapter didn't change my mind. Not a fan of stories that rely on some sort of "love potion" thing for the romance

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

The synopsis put me off immediately and the first chapter didn't change my mind. Not a fan of stories that rely on some sort of "love potion" thing for the romance

The "romances" are partial reasons for the arcs to happen and are resolved by personal growth and friendship. The main romance is one about which he is conflicted due to the reason for it but is still taking her seriously.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What do you mean by "taking her seriously"?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Nihilarian posted:

What do you mean by "taking her seriously"?

He's trying to become a man worthy of an absurdly strong and fearless delinquent rather than just accepting that she magically likes him and roll with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The ongoing gag with his class representative's shock at the protagonist's actions and situation is really funny. In general the series has some really good humor and feels more like a comedy (like Angel Densetsu or something) than a traditional harem romcom.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

RubberLuffy posted:

I'm 10 chapters into this and it's surprisingly good and funny?? I generally steer clear of anything resembling harem stories but Rokudou seems like a good kid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read a couple chapters and then dropped it because literally every "bad girl" the mc met instantly fell in love with him, which was kinda gross. i guess i'm also not a fan of love potion plot devices. but hey, if it doesn't get as skeevy as the premise suggests i might give it another shot.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

He's trying to become a man worthy of an absurdly strong and fearless delinquent rather than just accepting that she magically likes him and roll with it.
no, the problem is that she magically likes him in the first place. I don't really care about the rest?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The twist will be that it was never magical for her in the first place.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i read a couple chapters and then dropped it because literally every "bad girl" the mc met instantly fell in love with him, which was kinda gross. i guess i'm also not a fan of love potion plot devices. but hey, if it doesn't get as skeevy as the premise suggests i might give it another shot.

It's not skeevy at all, really. Rokudou is a good guy who wants everyone to stop being delinquents/getting into fights and have a happy school life together. It's not really like other "harem" series because it doesn't act like one at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I got some serious feels from the Bike Cop arc

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I got some serious feels from the Bike Cop arc

It was definitely the best one so far.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how all the "bad" people end up not being that bad. It's a little unrealistic, but I still prefer it to the more typical "MC is a nerd and delinquents are all evil irredeemable scum" stuff. It's a bit closer to the truth of "all of these characters are people and not just cliches", even if their problems are solved really easily.

edit: I think this short hair girl who dresses up as a guy (Raino, I think) is my favorite of the characters to show up so far.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sorry to say, but I gave up on Magi ever since they did the weird time travel plot hole story. Sinbad looks promising but so it goes.

Blue Exorcist's latest chapter summary looks decent but then the manga-ka goes on hiatus until October so I heard.