Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I'm going out on a limb (ok, it's a really thick limb and pretty short) and going to say that a LOT of people that voted for Trump, were not voting for Trump nearly as much as they were holding their noses and voting against Hillary.

Seriously, if the Dems had chosen almost anyone else I think it would have been a landslide win for them, but nope... they had to have their chosen one because they loving *knew* that they couldn't lose... and they were wrong.

A lot of those same people probably wish (even if they won't admit it, although a lot of them are) that they had not voted the way they did.

If they were capable of overlook the numerous scams and scandals of Trump, but couldn't overlook Hillary's....

....dunno what to tell them, except they are really bad at actually reading up on candidates. Jon Oliver covered this really well: Trump had way more red flags. There was never any real comparison, and Trump NEVER presented any real image of tangible leadership. Most of his events were largely random rants that ebbed and flowed from one topic to another without any real logic or thought.

I do not buy the whole 'Well, it was him or Clinton' excuse. It actually reflects more poorly on them, because it highlights the unwillingness of American voters to actually research their candidates.

Don't get me wrong: Clinton sucked. But no matter the comparison, she sucked way less than Trump in every respect.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Trump is basically a blank slate onto which his supporters project whatever they want him to be.

Oh he's such a Godly man! Oh he supports the troops! Oh, he'll drain the swamp!

*Ignores the fact that he's a boorish, greedy ignoramus who literally lives in a gold tower.*

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The worst, the absolute worst, that we could have gotten out of Clinton was 4 more years of the same thing we had for the last 8.

Now we live in low-key terror because our President loses his poo poo over day to day office politics, if an actual international crisis occurs there is no way to tell what he will do, other then that it will probably be impulsive and terrible. :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

The worst, the absolute worst, that we could have gotten out of Clinton was 4 more years of the same thing we had for the last 8.

Now we live in low-key terror because our President loses his poo poo over day to day office politics, if an actual international crisis occurs there is no way to tell what he will do, other then that it will probably be impulsive and terrible. :smith:

And the man who claims to chose 'The Best People' has demonstrated to the world that he is utterly inept at choosing people, or judging them, or telling the truth.

We're subjected to a man who cannot go a day without self-fellating his ego, screaming about Fake News, attacking the Press, appointing neanderthals to positions of power, and denigrating the previous sitting president at every chance he gets.

On the plus side, we do get to enjoy this:

Genocide Tendency posted:

Joe Pesci. Yea that Joe Pesci is going to be reading Mooch's interview on Lawerence O'Donnell.

So you may want to tune into MSNBC.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 28, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

If you vote for a man who openly flaunted racist credentials, courted racists during the campaign, and endorsed racist and xenophobic ideals, You don't exactly get to roll in the mud and claim you are squeaky clean. Empowering them is just a bad as being one.

Regardless of whether or not the voter supports racist ideals, they voted for someone who endorses and supports racists. I'm sure not every Confederate hated black people, they still fought tooth and nail for a white supremacist movement.

There was no mystery to what Trump endeavored to do, or what sort of ideals he supported on the campaign trail.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The only reason anyone would be able to claim that "voting for trump wasn't necessarily racist" is because the MASSIVE amount of privilege they have

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sucks man, but what are you supposed to do when someone is screaming like a child, shits their pants, falls over and screams some more and they are a 34 year old adult? Try to rationalize why it's your fault they are the way they are? At what point do you go 'ok you know what gently caress this you are an idiot'?
Why does the right get to be the big dumb idiot that gets to say and do whatever they want but the other side has to tip-toe around and try to accommodate? I wish the left would get down and dirty like the right and just mock the poo poo out of them. It works for them and trying to be nice didn't work for the left so why not be lovely?
I just keep rolling back around to a generation divide. Wait for them to die and try to clean up the mess.
They aren't going to be remembered fondly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Once again I've drug the thread into D&D hell, I apologize :smith:

I promise I'll have more car stuff soon.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

If they were capable of overlook the numerous scams and scandals of Trump, but couldn't overlook Hillary's....

....dunno what to tell them, except they are really bad at actually reading up on candidates. Jon Oliver covered this really well: Trump had way more red flags. There was never any real comparison, and Trump NEVER presented any real image of tangible leadership. Most of his events were largely random rants that ebbed and flowed from one topic to another without any real logic or thought.

I do not buy the whole 'Well, it was him or Clinton' excuse. It actually reflects more poorly on them, because it highlights the unwillingness of American voters to actually research their candidates.

Don't get me wrong: Clinton sucked. But no matter the comparison, she sucked way less than Trump in every respect.

I wasn't arguing that. I am simply saying that it's the way a lot of people voted. They had their hatred for Hillary established, and their vote was determined long before Trump won the Republican primary.

Is that stupid? Hell yes, but it's still true that a not insignificant number of people voted against Hillary and had blinders on to the fact that the other guy might actually be worse.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Locator posted:

I'm going out on a limb (ok, it's a really thick limb and pretty short) and going to say that a LOT of people that voted for Trump, were not voting for Trump nearly as much as they were holding their noses and voting against Hillary.

Seriously, if the Dems had chosen almost anyone else I think it would have been a landslide win for them, but nope... they had to have their chosen one because they loving *knew* that they couldn't lose... and they were wrong.

A lot of those same people probably wish (even if they won't admit it, although a lot of them are) that they had not voted the way they did.

Bernie would have juan

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
On another subject both my wife and I want to take a vacation but cant decide between Hawaii and Costa Rica. Normally I would be all about Costa Rica but the risk of zika has my wife really worried. Whats the real risk of contracting it? And whats fun to do/where to go in either place? I want to do beach stuff and get a sailfish or tuna charter. My wife likes nature stuff. I think we can reasonably afford $5-6k for the week, airfare excluded from the total.

Is there a thread somewhere else for this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I wasn't arguing that. I am simply saying that it's the way a lot of people voted. They had their hatred for Hillary established, and their vote was determined long before Trump won the Republican primary.

Is that stupid? Hell yes, but it's still true that a not insignificant number of people voted against Hillary and had blinders on to the fact that the other guy might actually be worse.

:shrug: .....still the fault of the voters. The Democrats were stupid to push it, but regardless, if you are not an informed voter, you are part of the problem overall.

rdb posted:

On another subject both my wife and I want to take a vacation but cant decide between Hawaii and Costa Rica. Normally I would be all about Costa Rica but the risk of zika has my wife really worried. Whats the real risk of contracting it? And whats fun to do/where to go in either place? I want to do beach stuff and get a sailfish or tuna charter. My wife likes nature stuff. I think we can reasonably afford $5-6k for the week, airfare excluded from the total.

Costa Rica, Hawaii is too tourist trap-y. We landed there on our way back from Japan, and holy crap its like Vegas with less desert and more prices.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anyone have a radiator for a 1983 Daihatsu Hijet van?
thanks

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Costa Rica. Go the places people normally don't go. Have memories for life.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

rdb posted:

Take a look at New Zealand, remember that the seasons are flipped so book in the winter here.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Once again I've drug the thread into D&D hell, I apologize :smith:

I promise I'll have more car stuff soon.

It's ok I know a lot of posters itt have interesting opinions on American politics and I'd rather here those than d&d's

Also bringing the Good News of The Tolerant Left to these fine posters is always good and noble.

It's these kinds of talks itt and in yospos that showed me what a privileged oval office I am and that I can't be socially liberal and fiscally conservative at the same time due to the social impact fiscal conservativism has

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

KakerMix posted:

Sucks man, but what are you supposed to do when someone is screaming like a child, shits their pants, falls over and screams some more and they are a 34 year old adult? Try to rationalize why it's your fault they are the way they are? At what point do you go 'ok you know what gently caress this you are an idiot'?
Why does the right get to be the big dumb idiot that gets to say and do whatever they want but the other side has to tip-toe around and try to accommodate? I wish the left would get down and dirty like the right and just mock the poo poo out of them. It works for them and trying to be nice didn't work for the left so why not be lovely?
I just keep rolling back around to a generation divide. Wait for them to die and try to clean up the mess.

:cripes:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Take a look at New Zealand, remember that the seasons are flipped so book in the winter here.

2nding this.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

New zealand is awesome for hiking and outdoor activities. It's pretty expensive and I'd imagine living there would get boring after a while but it's still really cool

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I don't have the points to make it to NZ for the both of us and I think airfare would eat up most of the budget. Its central America/Caribbean / United States only this time around.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

New zealand is awesome for hiking and outdoor activities. It's pretty expensive and I'd imagine living there would get boring after a while but it's still really cool

My wife lived there for 6 months during undergrad and she says exactly that. Was great at first but got very dull and isolated. My best memory of New Zealand is walking along a beach one morning while a pod of Orcas played just out of the shallows.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

My wife lived there for 6 months during undergrad and she says exactly that. Was great at first but got very dull and isolated. My best memory of New Zealand is walking along a beach one morning while a pod of Orcas played just out of the shallows.

You can only do the same trails so many times before you decide it's video game time and there aren't a whole lot of non white people to make yummy food for u so you just eat a lot of bad Thai food and lamb

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man someone tell me that building amateur rockets is still cool

with the whole club budget fiasco and how it's taken getting funding from "a sure thing" to "a thing we'll be sweating until the last rocket fires off" i'm having a hard time staying enthusiastic about staying on and running this project

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
NZ in winter can be really really awful as there is nothing between it and Antartica. Late Spring / Summer in NZ on the other hand is straight out one of the most beautiful places in the world esp on the south Island. This should be a bucket list for everyone - you hardly have to move anywhere for absolute jaw dropping scenery... and it just keeps going if you do move about.

Also try not to fly to Wellington. That place's reputation as windy is well deserved - it can be truly wild ride landing.

quote:

You can only do the same trails so many times before you decide it's video game time and there aren't a whole lot of non white people to make yummy food for u so you just eat a lot of bad Thai food and lamb

.... The everliving gently caress is this crap?

antiquepacbell
Nov 4, 2012
The day the Democrats stop the everyone is a racist deplorable if they do not support us is the day they may get support. Most want access to healthcare. Hell, if you don't frame it as Obamacare they support what we have.

Problem is they pass a Swiss cheese bullshit bill and now that it is starting to fail, and it is slowly but surely, Dems rather than bringing ideas to the table are just obstructing. Hell, even the ideas do not get traction now, the next election is coming.

Look it easy to say that UHC, climate change, immigration and LGBT rights need to be acted upon but if the call to actions is that if you do not do what I say you are a fascist, denier, racist or homophobe people are rightfully going to be offended.

By the way, I believe that we do need to have UHC, be more inclusive and work on climate change but no way in hell I would of ever voted for Hillary.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Liquid Communism posted:

100%? Probably not. Did going from dogwhistle to outright 'screw those browns' hurt Trump's support in the slightest? Nope.

Continuing to support racists when they are being openly and unabashedly racist really hurts the 'but I'm one of the good ones!' argument.
The other side was Hillary loving Clinton. It didn't matter what Trump said, 90% were voting against that [expletive of your choice] WAY more than voting for Dick who won.

KakerMix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZHp4JLWjNw

Don't say the left doesn't roll in the loving mud.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 28, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CommieGIR posted:

Costa Rica, Hawaii is too tourist trap-y. We landed there on our way back from Japan, and holy crap its like Vegas with less desert and more prices.

Just to comment, "which island" is important with Hawaii. I wouldn't go back to Oahu, for example, but Kauai and the big island are pretty neat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ Yep. No desire to go back to Maui either, but I could happily live on the big island for the rest of my days.

cursedshitbox posted:

That is my goal too. Fast-track the language for a year then pound some soviet engineering university knowledge into my thick rear end skull.
Not sure what kind of engineering you are into, but if you plan on going to school and then moving back to the "west" - do yourself a favor and make sure the school you are going to is accredited/has a recognized program where you plan to practice. There are thousands of people with engineering degrees from Ex-soviet and satellite states that aren't recognized by the Engineering associations in Canada and the US (which are largely the same or at least very similar due to reciprocity agreements) which means you've got to jump through way more hoops if you want to practice.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

rdb posted:

I don't have the points to make it to NZ for the both of us and I think airfare would eat up most of the budget. Its central America/Caribbean / United States only this time around.

I just got back from Costa Rica on Saturday. It fuckin rocked. Just watch every single transaction you make like a hawk and learn the term "impuesto gringo". Also read up on the mandatory insurance for car rentals because they will absolutely take you for thst too.

I rented from Alamo because they included the mandatory insurance in their quote. They still tried to upsell me on 3 other items including alternate insurance that my credit card covers anyways.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

^^ Yep. No desire to go back to Maui either, but I could happily live on the big island for the rest of my days.

Not sure what kind of engineering you are into, but if you plan on going to school and then moving back to the "west" - do yourself a favor and make sure the school you are going to is accredited/has a recognized program where you plan to practice. There are thousands of people with engineering degrees from Ex-soviet and satellite states that aren't recognized by the Engineering associations in Canada and the US (which are largely the same or at least very similar due to reciprocity agreements) which means you've got to jump through way more hoops if you want to practice.

I'm in it for the knowledge, not the paper. I'm ok with never becoming a PE. I want a box full of tools to do cool poo poo with.
My major is robotics if you care.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That makes it sound horrible so here's the cool poo poo:

Driving there is awesome and you shove your way into traffic and speed all the time and have windy insane roads and run red lights and are just generally insane.

San Jose is a dump but in a really cool way.

Gallo pinto is delicious and also youll be sick of it after 4 days.

Hot sauce is served with every meal.

Jaco is a garbage tourist beach town in all the right ways.

La Fortuna sucks and is way too touristy but El Castillo is such an awesome tiny town on the other side of Arenal volcano and if you rent the $57/night second floor room at hotel de la toucane you get an AMAZING view of Arenal.

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca is just... paradise. Its got some gringo bars and amazing mojitos and beautiful views.

Dont go to Manuel Antonio national park it's the number one wildlife area in the guifebooks so everyone goes and its way too crowded. If you do go, like speedwalk to the beach so you can feed broken up papaya to white faced monkeys

DO go to the park in Cahuita and get a guide and youll see some awesome poo poo. Sloths, trash pandas, monkeys, vipers, etc.

The sloth sanctuary between puerto viejo and cahuita is great if you like sloths!

Irazu is meh, Turrialba is closed, but the view from the lodges around them is the most beautiful thing youll ever see. We stayed at Guanapo or something like that, just south of Turrialba. Theyre hurting for guests since nobody goes since the volcano is active. OH ALSO if you drive up to the exclusion zone you'll notice a piece of yellow caution tape blocking your path with nobody guarding it definitely dont pass that its way too tough to get through.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rdb posted:

My wife and I discussed this a couple years back and went with Hawaii. Mostly because we ran out of time on the Costa Rica planning.

Had a blast in Hawaii and no regrets there, but Costa Rica is still high on the to do list.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Politics huh?

I just excised a cyst out of my right arm.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ugh I want to go almost everywhere that isn't a war zone. Wife has been in war zones and just wants to go everywhere.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lots of people I know that have been to Puerto Rico love it, some have even called it a poor man's Hawaii. Might have to go check it out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm hoping to visit Isla Sorna one day

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZHp4JLWjNw

Don't say the left doesn't roll in the loving mud.

lol, you consider this rolling in the mud?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

antiquepacbell posted:

The day the Democrats stop the everyone is a racist deplorable if they do not support us is the day they may get support. Most want access to healthcare. Hell, if you don't frame it as Obamacare they support what we have.

I just wanted to point out that these sentences in this order struck me as funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Formula-E is some of the worst racing I have ever seen cursed on a racetrack. How the does anyone watch this poo poo even on meth?

• Locked thread