Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That was really fun last night. Sorry I had to leave at 2230, I'm a huge wuss and I get up early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yesterday I saw a three man team of smurfs wipe the floor with like 10-15 players in close combat. How is that even possible?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SplitSoul posted:

Yesterday I saw a three man team of smurfs wipe the floor with like 10-15 players in close combat. How is that even possible?

The three man team knows what they are doing and the 10-15 group doesn't. It happens a lot.

*Has PTSD flashback of solo Siphoning Nightblades circa 2015*

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

The three man team knows what they are doing and the 10-15 group doesn't. It happens a lot.

*Has PTSD flashback of solo Siphoning Nightblades circa 2015*

I don't know what builds they were running, but they barely lost any health through the whole thing. I know I died because I'm not specced for PvP at all, just trying to get the event achievements, but it looked like the rest of the group was. I watched the remainder of the fight on ghost cam and I've never seen anything like it, they just erased people one by one in seconds.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You encountered three loving terminators, that's what you did.

Smoove
Aug 13, 2012

...and goes down easy
The Sorcerer build wasn't updated too long ago, is that still a viable build for a newbie player?

Searching didn't turn up anything and I don't know if I missed it in the OP, but is there a way to connect with other console Goons?Xbox specifically.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Smoove posted:

The Sorcerer build wasn't updated too long ago, is that still a viable build for a newbie player?

Searching didn't turn up anything and I don't know if I missed it in the OP, but is there a way to connect with other console Goons?Xbox specifically.

Sorcerer's haven't changed much, are you talking stamina or magicka? Can you link to it? Unless it's this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793102&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post465337810 this guide is still good.

Smoove
Aug 13, 2012

...and goes down easy

MF_James posted:

Sorcerer's haven't changed much, are you talking stamina or magicka? Can you link to it? Unless it's this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793102&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post465337810 this guide is still good.

Yea that's the one, I'm still learning the ropes but it seems a lot like Guild Wars 2, granted I'm not sure this is the class I'll main, I just always found ranged was EZ mode for noob pve, but I wouldn't mind finding out the OP FOTM class. Just sucks the races are limited since my buddy went with the Pact and I don't like the way the Argonians look(originally wanted to start with a Nightblade healer/dps)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Smoove posted:

Yea that's the one, I'm still learning the ropes but it seems a lot like Guild Wars 2, granted I'm not sure this is the class I'll main, I just always found ranged was EZ mode for noob pve, but I wouldn't mind finding out the OP FOTM class. Just sucks the races are limited since my buddy went with the Pact and I don't like the way the Argonians look(originally wanted to start with a Nightblade healer/dps)

You can buy the any race any alliance DLC for 1500 crowns (I think it's 1500?), it will give you a free race change token as well. Once you buy that DLC, the only thing that is technically permanent is your alliance choice, you can literally never change that, but you can always buy more tokens to race change if you really want.

stamsorc is pretty OP, you aren't going to top DPS charts (though I do pretty decent DPS now, can get around 25-27k single target with standard debuffs like ransack), but you will pretty much never die in PVE unless you do something foolish.

This game is A LOT like GW2 (from what I hear), I feel like the developers really looked at previous MMOs like DAoC, GW2, WoW, and Planetside, and built a lot of the world based off of things from those games, you can REALLY see it in the PvP.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 27, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Man, I just can not get over the invincible guards.

Worst mechanic in the game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BenRGamer posted:

Try not hitting them. :v:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

Stop getting caught doing illegal poo poo and they won't attack you!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MF_James posted:

Stop getting caught doing illegal poo poo and they won't attack you!

This would be so much easier if the stealth mechanic wasn't completely poo poo and broken.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Coldforge posted:

This would be so much easier if the stealth mechanic wasn't completely poo poo and broken.

This isn't the first time I've seen this posted. What is broken/poo poo about it? This is an honest question, as the mechanic seems fairly simple to me, but I haven't done much of the thieves guild stuff so I only rarely use it to yoink a strongbox or something when I'm in a shop doing something else.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

BenRGamer posted:

Here's the alternative.

Whenever a guard respawns, all nearby players gang up and kill them. As a result, stealing and murdering are not penalized, bounty has no effect and most NPCs are dead because of Dark Bro-Bros.

The entire crime system is contingent on guards being invincible.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Coldforge posted:

I can almost 100% assure you it's not broken, I wouldn't say it's poo poo either, but some things COULD be better, but the fact that there is very little risk/punishment for getting caught doing illegal poo poo (the guards are laughable and should never kill you), it's not a big deal.

Kryopsis posted:

Here's the alternative.

Whenever a guard respawns, all nearby players gang up and kill them. As a result, stealing and murdering are not penalized, bounty has no effect and most NPCs are dead because of Dark Bro-Bros.

Now this guy is right for the most part, I would argue that you aren't really all that penalized even getting, because, like I said above, the guards are pussies and should pretty much never kill you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kryopsis posted:

Here's the alternative.

I remember using sacks of flour to trap the guards in UO (Ultima Online if you are too young to know what that means) where they could then be slowly killed with flame wall spells (or scrolls) while they helplessly ran back and forth within the limits of their flour sack prisons. Just add flames to this --> :derp:

:corsair:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Kryopsis posted:

Here's the alternative.

Why not just have them respawn from Barracks immediately?

So, yeah, players could gang up and kill them, but it'd be annoying to keep doing so. But you can get rid of one if you have to right then and there.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If you're being pursued by a guard, use break free and dodge roll to get out of their snares, and run straight away from them/away from town to get out of their pursuit range faster.

Try not steal indoors where there are guards unless it's really worth the risk, as you usually can't get far away enough from the guard to get out the door.

Every quest you complete from the tips board in the Thieves' Guild nets you a pardon edict, a consumable which removes 500 bounty. Stick these in a quickbar slot. If you grind Covetous Countess (the easiest/fastest of these quests), you'll have a steady supply of edicts.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 28, 2017

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Locator posted:

This isn't the first time I've seen this posted. What is broken/poo poo about it? This is an honest question, as the mechanic seems fairly simple to me, but I haven't done much of the thieves guild stuff so I only rarely use it to yoink a strongbox or something when I'm in a shop doing something else.

I would like to give you an exact number on the times I've had "hidden" status, but still been spotted by *someone* (a ghost? a wandering pet? someone in the mages guild scrying?) in the act of thievery and gotten a bounty. I've been playing again just about 40 days now, and it happens at least twice a night, so somewhere between 80-100 times? The other fun bit is being stopped by a phantom guard while I have a bounty; entering the "hands up" animation and becoming frozen, but nothing ever happens (it eventually wears off).

I steal a lot of poo poo, usually out of lockboxes in town markets, so I see the issues pretty frequently.

MF_James posted:

I can almost 100% assure you it's not broken

:laffo:

Thanks for your assurance that I'm hallucinating.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I love when I'm pickpocketing someone and it says 85% chance of success, and the moment I hit the x button, it drops to 45% and I get busted.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You know the NPCs move around while you're lockpicking, right? It's an MMO, persistent, no pauses.

^ the lag tolerance needs to be better though imo

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

You know the NPCs move around while you're lockpicking, right? It's an MMO, persistent, no pauses.

I mean when I'm behind some broad who's on her knees picking flowers in the grass, not someone actively moving around.

It's way too janky.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

G-Spot Run posted:

Yes, thank you, I am aware of the obvious thing that can be seen every time anything is done in the game :)

The first few times I immediately backed out of lockpicking, saw there were no NPCs around me, and the voice crying "Thief! Someone call the guard" was coming from nowhere that I began to suspect that just maaaaaayyyyyybe it wasn't a really solidly designed system. It also happens with pickpocketing and murdering (though the murdering thing may be a radius mechanic and not hidden state or facing? I dunno)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Coldforge posted:

Yes, thank you, I am aware of the obvious thing that can be seen every time anything is done in the game :)

The first few times I immediately backed out of lockpicking, saw there were no NPCs around me, and the voice crying "Thief! Someone call the guard" was coming from nowhere that I began to suspect that just maaaaaayyyyyybe it wasn't a really solidly designed system. It also happens with pickpocketing and murdering (though the murdering thing may be a radius mechanic and not hidden state or facing? I dunno)

People saw you, you just didn't see them for whatever reason possibly you need glasses.

I dunno, perhaps you have eaten too much Psilocybin because I don't see a fuckton of goons complaining about it, just you and one or two other people. At a low level you're going to have a harder time doing sneaky poo poo because you don't have your skills in legdermain, thieves guild and DB guild, which improve sneak and success and poo poo like that.

Also, sometimes the citizens will run away when they see you doing illegal things because they get scared that you are stealing.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 28, 2017

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I have had instances of invisible models but they're usually quest props and they come back after a relog so idk. I agree the game has lots of bugs but I don't think it's as damning as you're suggesting

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

MF_James posted:

People saw you, you just didn't see them for whatever reason possibly you need glasses.

I dunno, perhaps you have eaten too much Psilocybin because I don't see a fuckton of goons complaining about it, just you and one or two other people. At a low level you're going to have a harder time doing sneaky poo poo because you don't have your skills in legdermain, thieves guild and DB guild, which improve sneak and success and poo poo like that.

Also, sometimes the citizens will run away when they see you doing illegal things because they get scared that you are stealing.

18 legerdemain and rank 10 thieves guild & DB (& perfect sacrament cheevo) clearly isn't enough. Thanks for your input.

Edit: It actually just happened again while I was robbing a lockbox in Deshaan's alchemy shop. Eye half closed, hidden state the entire time, "Stop that thief!" exit the lockpicking screen and still hidden, the ONLY NPC in the room is facing away from me, and then I get extra bounty for taking the loot. 100% working as intended, I'm sure! It must have been her nix hound :3:

Edit 2: if I had to guess, I'd say it's probably a de-sync issue with NPCs. Which is probably a more general game issue, but a system that relies on a player knowing an NPCs' exact position and facing is not a great idea if NPC positioning and facing are unreliable.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 28, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Honestly I've experienced some weird quirks with the stealth too, like trying to go hidden when there's nobody who can spot me, and right as the eye closes it immediately reopens like I've been spotted. This repeats until I go out of sneak and immediately go back into it, and it works. This happens often enough that I'm sure it's a glitch.

I'm also wondering if you're automatically spotted when there's an NPC in a certain radius regardless of line of sight when it comes to Blade of Woe kills, as that specifically seems like more of a crapshoot than anything else. I don't think Dark Brotherhood is even worth attempting unless you have a supply of pardoning edicts.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Sometimes client and server get out of sync and there isn't any helping it. If you want safer theft, try investing in some invisible drugs.

It sounds like you're pretty frustrated with justice and that's okay. Take a break from stealing junk. Maybe run a dungeon or two. Head to Cyrodiil.

E: to clarify about the sync thing- in many MMOs, ESO included, you aren't always exactly where you think you are. Most actions that will update your position also break stealth.

Drinking a potion does not break stealth.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

doomfunk posted:

Sometimes client and server get out of sync and there isn't any helping it. If you want safer theft, try investing in some invisible drugs.

It sounds like you're pretty frustrated with justice and that's okay. Take a break from stealing junk. Maybe run a dungeon or two. Head to Cyrodiil.

E: to clarify about the sync thing- in many MMOs, ESO included, you aren't always exactly where you think you are. Most actions that will update your position also break stealth.

Drinking a potion does not break stealth.

I just heavily invested in the "swiftly forgotten" skill. It's annoying, and it's clearly either buggy or poorly designed, but it's still free gold (but please kill me if I ever say I'm tempted to try another heist mission).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Pop a stun or snare on a group of them then drop all your AoE at once to bring down some of their numbers instantly, then quickly shift to defense abilities and heals to soak up the initial barrage, pick off those that survived the initial clash and start working on the others. So long as you can get enough down in those first few seconds and they aren't individually competent enough to pull together then an organized team can punch way up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
plus the smurfs could easily have access to really good food/drink and thus much higher stats than some random public newbies

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Join goons for random dungeon. Server repeatedly crashes.

Serves me right for trying to group up for once :banjo:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I was in your group and I crashed right during the final boss. Hopefully you guys cleared it but I'm mad I didn't have two more minutes to get that bonus.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rough Lobster posted:

I was in your group and I crashed right during the final boss. Hopefully you guys cleared it but I'm mad I didn't have two more minutes to get that bonus.

drat, sorry :( We did clear it.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

SplitSoul posted:

This event has brought out the pve hordes, and the pve hordes are tasty. I'm getting lazy and just launching myself into certain groups because there is suddenly zero threat from a lot of them. Pvp more, it's fun, then you can 1vx a buncha scrubs too.

Sabriel
May 21, 2006

"Does the walker choose the path, or does the path choose the walker?"
@Lhedello for an invite please, still leveling a NB when I have time and the ESO goons sound fun! I also invested in the skills that decrease the stealth detection radius which helps sneaking in more crowded places.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Rollersnake posted:

Honestly I've experienced some weird quirks with the stealth too, like trying to go hidden when there's nobody who can spot me, and right as the eye closes it immediately reopens like I've been spotted. This repeats until I go out of sneak and immediately go back into it, and it works. This happens often enough that I'm sure it's a glitch.

I'm also wondering if you're automatically spotted when there's an NPC in a certain radius regardless of line of sight when it comes to Blade of Woe kills, as that specifically seems like more of a crapshoot than anything else. I don't think Dark Brotherhood is even worth attempting unless you have a supply of pardoning edicts.

i think there's a kind of "sound" radius with murder so even if someone is looking away but within a certain distance they will hear you gnarly ripping the life from some poor sod next to them with a big rear end daedric knife. the cloak of sithis passive or whatever has a % chance to nullify this iirc

murder in general has never been super profitable in my experience in large part cause the bounties are a pain and easy to get and no fence in DB sanctuary which is already a bit of a jog itself to get to. if I'm just lock picking or picking pockets I am almost never worried of getting caught unless I start to get cocky/reckless and do stuff like try and pick pocket the same guard twice and then it's like what a 90g bounty, but with murder its very easy for things to snowball fast and oops you got a 3000 gold bounty over your head

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
To all those timidly contemplating coming out for Midyear Mayhem, please do so, but remember to stay in tight packs for saftey.

Allahu Akbar N'wahs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I need to vent about pubbies. I'm level 30 with all blue gear, magsorc with full resto staff to heal through dungeons. I've done spindleclutch II and it was fine except some trash pulls. I just tried fungal grotto II.

We get to that boss that has four ghosts that stun a random player. I get stunned and they die because of lack of heals and they asked why I didn't heal them. I said I couldn't and they give me sass. Second attempt, I can't outheal the damage on one our dps players who has less than 15k health somehow. They give me more poo poo. Third attempt, same thing happens except they're yelling at me to rez the player while I'm being wailed on by the ghost adds.

They kicked me out of the group and I don't know why I care but it makes me angry when these dudes are so oblivious about their own shortcomings. I feel like another goon posted an identical story a page or two back.