Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, Jon Oliver's MO has always been to find interesting stories that aren't being reported on to bring the issue upfront. He says he's tries not to do too much on Trump, because literally everyone else is already doing it.

His stories on criminal justice reform were really good. As was his thing on the Dalai Lama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

The GOP has been losing people like crazy, which is why GOP support of Trump is holding steady. The people that don't approve of Trump are just stopping identifying as Republicans.

yeah thats a weird phenomenon on the right

when things are going back right wingers just call themselves independent. its part of that whole thing where right wing inclined people will always coalesce around whomever they think will win

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/890764622852173826

I CHOOSE YOU REPUBLICAN SENATOR

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have given up all hope of McCain being a decent person but it would be funny if he ends up being the one to kill it

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's really tough to care what people like on TV

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

BlindSite posted:

Hey guys. I think this Donald Trump guy might not be a good president.

Hey, he's every bit as good a president as he is a human being.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I like Samantha Bee but I know she was too pro-Hillary and her husband was maybe against integrating their kids' school so she's basically Jimmy Fallon now.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Oh, the bill cuts the CDC's budget by 15% too, because.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have given up all hope of McCain being a decent person but it would be funny if he ends up being the one to kill it

I honestly never thought people would be rooting for cancer, but here we are!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah thats a weird phenomenon on the right

when things are going back right wingers just call themselves independent. its part of that whole thing where right wing inclined people will always coalesce around whomever they think will win

There's also the problem that a lot of young conservatives are pro lgbtetc rights, pro choice, anti firearm and atheist but get lumped in the with rest of the retards crying about what the bible says in relation to a chicks uterus.

It's that addage a lot of people have mentioned. Not everyone who voted for trump is a racist but it's no secret all the racists voting were voting for trump.

There's a serious issue at the moment in western politics in general where the tail is wagging the dog at least on some messages and in some movements. Or at least because of social media it seems that way. Some dickhead with 20,000 followers can tweet his stupid loving face ranting about something and be on the money on a single issue but at the same time be retarded about 5 or 6 others so naturally theres going to be weird overlapping factions on both sides of the aisle.

Social media deserves some of the blame especially when they're deliberately affecting the proliferation of content.

What better way to give weight to the dickheads like Milo yiannopolis when you ban him from Twitter and ban his book from stores when a huge part of his following is through his claim that its jackbooted progressives trying to silence conservative thought that's a real issue.

Part of the issue is the oversimplification bullshit of
If you vote x youre a racist/bigot/whatever
Kill all white people
Eat the rich
Etc

All that does is piss someone off.

I think the two party system is going to die sooner than people think. France, canada, australia and Britain had their governments decides by votes swinging away from the major two parties.

Easier in those models than in the US model of politics to be sure but it also explains why a lot of people coulsnt be bothered voting at all. They dont feel they would be adequately represented by either party.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Easier in those models than in the US model of politics to be sure but it also explains why a lot of people coulsnt be bothered voting at all. They dont feel they would be adequately represented by either party.

This is true and a serious problem, but I think the single biggest reason voting rates in the US are so pitiful is because we make it too difficult to vote. It's incredible that we don't have automatic registration and that we still vote on a non-national holiday-ed Tuesday.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fsif posted:

This is true and a serious problem, but I think the single biggest reason voting rates in the US are so pitiful is because we make it too difficult to vote. It's incredible that we don't have automatic registration and that we still vote on a non-national holiday-ed Tuesday.

We vote on Saturday. Makes a whole lot more sense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

We vote on Saturday. Makes a whole lot more sense.

Voting on Saturday would actually be worse because it would disproportionately affect lower income people who don't work a traditional al m-f job. It just needs to be a national holiday. Or, even better, an entire week long period.

Also, the Skinny Repeal bill *may* pass the Senate, but will go directly into conference rather than going to the house because most Republican senators don't want to pass it and will only vote on it if they're assured it will not actually become law.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Voting on Saturday would help. Lower income people also disproportionately have to work on national holidays.

But really, they should just mail every person a ballot.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Oregon does vote-by-mail and it works great. That combined with automatic voter registration can help a lot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Australia has mandatory voting; you pay a fine if you fail to vote.

Also the skinny repeal is a maneuver to force the conversation into conference committee, because everyone recognizes that nothing the whole senate passes right now could possibly pass the house so why bother committing to details yet. This also lets chickenshit republican senators who don't want to go on the record as voting against the republican party line claim they voted for a repeal while also not getting blamed by all the poor people in their states for a repeal that actually goes into law.

I'm not saying there's no way conference committee can produce a bill that pass both houses... but it's no more likely today than it was a month ago.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Also I'm sure there are people who check this thread who roll their eyes and go "ugh, more politics!" and don't think this will affect them. Even if you somehow don't have someone close to you who will literally lose their insurance entirely from this, you're going to be paying way more loving money for your plan:

https://twitter.com/senatorcardin/status/890778229811892225

Just remember this next time you vote R or refrain from voting altogether.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I'm pretty sure the House will just pass skinny repeal after failing to make any changes; it defunds Planned Parenthood. 16 million more uninsured within a year.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

when did everyone start hating Samantha Bee all of a sudden

I checked out when she portrayed Bernie as a literal wife beater wearing a wife beater during the primaries.

I was mad on the internet.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leperflesh posted:

Australia has mandatory voting; you pay a fine if you fail to vote.

Also the skinny repeal is a maneuver to force the conversation into conference committee, because everyone recognizes that nothing the whole senate passes right now could possibly pass the house so why bother committing to details yet. This also lets chickenshit republican senators who don't want to go on the record as voting against the republican party line claim they voted for a repeal while also not getting blamed by all the poor people in their states for a repeal that actually goes into law.

I'm not saying there's no way conference committee can produce a bill that pass both houses... but it's no more likely today than it was a month ago.

OTOH never underestimate Paul Ryan's capability and willingness to stab every other living human (and Ted Cruz) in the back.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

I honestly never thought people would be rooting for cancer, but here we are!

You already saw this whole forum back team cancer Colin Kaepernick.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/s...-health-care%2F

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chichevache posted:

You already saw this whole forum back team cancer Colin Kaepernick.

:discourse:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

"Should I go see the newest Transformer movie?"

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

It is insane that an entire country is trying to read the body language of the apparent one individual who can stop this stupidity

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

big money big clit posted:

Voting on Saturday would actually be worse because it would disproportionately affect lower income people who don't work a traditional al m-f job. It just needs to be a national holiday. Or, even better, an entire week long period.

Also, the Skinny Repeal bill *may* pass the Senate, but will go directly into conference rather than going to the house because most Republican senators don't want to pass it and will only vote on it if they're assured it will not actually become law.

Not if you have a simple system like we have.
Here you can:
Postal vote
Absentee vote
Vote before the election at a polling booth.

For federal elections theres voting booths set up that open a week before the election day so you can vote early if you'll be working. You also receive your postal vote like a week before with a reply paid envelope.

Tbh the best system is probably just have polling booths open from like the friday until the Tuesday.

There's ways to make it really loving easy.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

John McCain to be my pallbearer, let me down one more time

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/890794106439385088

I am going to be so disappointed

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It's a GDT to see if we die.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Shangri-Law School posted:

https://twitter.com/josh_levin/status/890796791439831040

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shangri-Law School posted:

That thread will be if/when both houses vote on a reconciled bill; it is not today. Today is like... the Friday scrimmage or something. Someone can still pull a hammy, but poo poo like this:

is nearly meaningless. The senate is voting to create a bill-skeleton that will have 90% of its meat hung on it in conference committee with the House republicans.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

That thread will be if/when both houses vote on a reconciled bill; it is not today. Today is like... the Friday scrimmage or something. Someone can still pull a hammy, but poo poo like this:

is nearly meaningless. The senate is voting to create a bill-skeleton that will have 90% of its meat hung on it in conference committee with the House republicans.

Unless the house goes Yolo and just passes it

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

There's nothing in skinny repeal that the House Freedom Caucus can't stomach. If it comes to it, they'll pass it and Trump will sign it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Unless the House GOP just sends it through. They were all advised to be available through the weekend.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The House Freedom Caucus is about 36 or so members: it can't pass jack or poo poo without another two hundred Republicans. The reason the House had so much trouble sending a bill to the Senate is because the Freedom Caucus insisted on ideological purity in their gently caress-the-poor stance, while a hundred more republicans could not abide outright destroying medicare. That gap hasn't really closed much - the House effectively punted to the Senate, with house Republican leadership essentially trying to put the responsibility on to Mitch McConnell to take the blame for failing to pass obamacare repeal. Now, McConnel is trying to pass the ball back, saying "if we're gonna sink on failure to repeal, we're all going down together motherfuckers" and that gambit is, in my opinion, going to work.

Actually I'm dubious that the skinny repeal is gonna pass: it sounds like McCain has joined the pro-Planned Parenthood ladies in calling bullshit, and those three on their own can torpedo the whole shebang.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 28, 2017

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/890801518856650752

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/890802209146798081

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh my god I can't believe he went full maverick

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
If he votes no it's just because he wants to save part of his lovely legacy

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

fsif posted:

Oh my god I can't believe he went full maverick

Duceys earlier tweets would give him cover, seeing the day in hindsight after his consulting with my governor speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hot Diggity! posted:

If he votes no it's just because he wants to save part of his lovely legacy

Or because he finally, finally decided to really gently caress over Trump. I always hold out hope his hatred for that man might come through, tonight it maybe did.

• Locked thread