Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ATP_Power posted:

The pink letter makes sense if it was written by Mance Rayder to try and make John do something really loving stupid.

why would mance have written it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

mastershakeman posted:

why would mance have written it

To provoke Jon to disregard his NW oath and attack the Boltons.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM is just driving everyone crazy with the insane waits and it really is as simple as 'Ramsay wrote it'

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

These last two episodes have mostly been setup and "as you know" conversations. Having that big ambush battle happen again like last season is just awful writing though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So are we just sort of done with the religion stuff? Just kinda blow some people up and that's that, 2 seasons worth of problem solved.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

So are we just sort of done with the religion stuff? Just kinda blow some people up and that's that, 2 seasons worth of problem solved.

I'm glad. It means we're not going to get some stupid "It was all a proxy battle for the Seven/Old Gods/Red God" that some claim is hinted at by the books.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone paying attention knows the gods in this universe simply do not give a gently caress.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm talking about the mobs of people going al queda on everything

e: al queda might not be the best comparison. The sparrows were millitant but they also helped the common people probably way more than the government.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 28, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

drunken officeparty posted:

the vatican got roasty and toasty, but i hear the lord of light is picking up steam

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

God I forgot about the pink letter. I can't wait until the show is over and this all goes away. Once the show is over I will finally be able to forget about the books and move past this whole thing. At this point if winds ever comes out(it won't) I doubt I'll read it unless he actually manages to finish the series before he dies(he won't).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ATP_Power posted:

The pink letter makes sense if it was written by Mance Rayder to try and make John do something really loving stupid.

Because he got bored?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm glad. It means we're not going to get some stupid "It was all a proxy battle for the Seven/Old Gods/Red God" that some claim is hinted at by the books.

The Seven don't even exist in the books.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Seven don't even exist in the books.

:thunk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's pretty blatantly true, the red priests obviously have some power and there's pretty good hints that the old gods exist but the seven pretty much have done jack poo poo in the entire book series

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pretty much. The better way to look at it is that the red priests can see the future in the flames and do some kinds of fire magic, whether a real god is involved or not; and the sacred weirwoods of the old gods can be magically used to have visions of past, present, and maybe future, whether gods are involved or not; but the magical rituals of the Seven are very few in number, and the one we see the most (trial by combat) flat out doesn't work. No matter how you slice it, Tyrion wasn't guilty of the crime he was found guilty of committing. So either the seven don't exist, they exist but their religion is bunk, or they're huge assholes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

skasion posted:

Pretty much. The better way to look at it is that the red priests can see the future in the flames and do some kinds of fire magic, whether a real god is involved or not; and the sacred weirwoods of the old gods can be magically used to have visions of past, present, and maybe future, whether gods are involved or not; but the magical rituals of the Seven are very few in number, and the one we see the most (trial by combat) flat out doesn't work. No matter how you slice it, Tyrion wasn't guilty of the crime he was found guilty of committing. So either the seven don't exist, they exist but their religion is bunk, or they're huge assholes.

Olds Gods and Red God are also capable of destroying a whole a whole landmass and raising the dead, respectively. It's serious poo poo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's pretty blatantly true, the red priests obviously have some power and there's pretty good hints that the old gods exist but the seven pretty much have done jack poo poo in the entire book series

Well that just makes them like our real gods in real life that do jack poo poo.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Did they ever pronounce R'hllor's name in the show or has it always been called The Lord of Light? I just realised that I want to hear how you pronounce a stupid name like R'hllor

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
"Real ore." Duh!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I seem to remember a theme in the books where prayers to the Seven get answered ironically. Cat prays to see Ned again and his bones are later sent to her at Riverrun. Sansa prays for Joffrey to die and he does so in a manner that implicates her.

Not sure if I am misremembering.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Don't forget Victorian pulls off the hat trick by sacrificing seven people to the drowned god and the Lord of light by lighting their ships on fire

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
If you think about it Death has killed more people than all the other gods put together.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

If you think about it Death has killed more people than all the other gods put together.

The only god actually doing poo poo (assuming the red god is the same one)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What are Preston Jacobs thought on the Seven?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

lezard_valeth posted:

Did they ever pronounce R'hllor's name in the show or has it always been called The Lord of Light? I just realised that I want to hear how you pronounce a stupid name like R'hllor

Once. When Mel met Thoros.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Is there anyone in this thread that actually enjoys the show? I agree with the fact that they've killed off a lot of great characters/actors but I'm still thoroughly enjoying this season.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fromsinkingsands posted:

Is there anyone in this thread that actually enjoys the show? I agree with the fact that they've killed off a lot of great characters/actors but I'm still thoroughly enjoying this season.

It's possible to both have fun watching the episode and also have fun picking it apart.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like it better now that it's schlocky garbo than when it pretended to be Great Television.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

fromsinkingsands posted:

I mourn the loss of what it was, but still enjoy the shlockier form it's taken on now. I'm pretty indulgent with the show, it was unrealistic of me to expect prestige TV other than Breaking Bad to maintain a mostly consistent level of quality for every single season. Most can't manage that sort of run and it's fine.

It was never like, a profound series or anything, but I had more fun when it was poo poo like this, and less like...giant zombie armies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ES_ElI6Wg
it may just be a part of the book narrative, I haven't read them, but I hear they're released in decreasing quality

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are Preston Jacobs thought on the Seven?

So, generally Preston's reading is along the lines of: so far every act of divine intervention has seemingly just involved some weirwood or black candle user influencing events through telepathic manipulation, visions or glamors.

I think it's a cool reading and hope he's right.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

the trash all goes into the writers' room.

uhh I think we have several seasons of proof that the trash comes out of the writers' room.

fromsinkingsands posted:

I still like it, just in a different way from the early seasons. Poking holes in details is a part of enjoying schlock(which this show has def become) and I'd guess that most of the people posting about travel times and army logistics here like the show just fine.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it may just be a part of the book narrative, I haven't read them, but I hear they're released in decreasing quality

Books 1-3: Pretty good as far as fantasy goes. 4-5: Garbage. 6-?: lol never coming out. The show's in the last part now and no one knows for sure how much of an outline grrm has given them, but chances are they're coming up with the details themselves.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I still like the show and the actors in it even if I've grown to hate the writers

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM is just driving everyone crazy with the insane waits and it really is as simple as 'Ramsay wrote it'

At this point I'm completely convinced there's no way in hell Stannis is gonna lose the battle of Winterfell.

It's gonna be real funny when the book comes out and it turns out he loses it in a really stupid way just like in the show.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm basically just parroting Preston Jacob's reading of the books, but the pink letter being written by Ramsay doesn't track with how the letter is written, and several turns of phrase and focuses of the letter make more sense if a member of the free folk had written it. Mance was in Winterfell, could've accessed seals and wax and a raven for the message, and nobody at the Wall actually knew what Ramsay's signature or seal looked like.

E: I hope anyone can see why Mance would want to make a play at taking down Jon and going for Wildling control of the gift as a sovereign people and free his consort and son from captivity.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 28, 2017

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
GoT Cockwatch - Very much an episode of contrasts for the cockless men. An incredibly strong showing from Grey Worm, whipping out the lords kiss and banging Missandei, hats off to him that was first class. Jorah seemed pretty accepting of his fate, must have been pretty awkward when Sam got down there but god bless him he had a good attitude about it. Surprisingly fine behaviour from Literally A Slaver Mormont. Real poor form from Theon though. Yes it was traumatic, but abandoning your sister just because you got a wee reminder? Not cool Theon.

This has been Cockwatch, I've been your host, good night.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cockwatch with Vitamin P-nis

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

fromsinkingsands posted:

It's been good this season. And I thought all of Season 5 was terrible except for Hardhome and all of Season 6 was terrible except for the final two episodes. Finally Arya is doing other than getting hit by sticks. Finally Dany is in Westeros instead of wasting time doing nothing in Meereen. There's no more endlessly boring High Sparrow speeches. Sand Snakes died. Ramsay is dead; We all got sick of him. I like that characters are combining and there's more focus. I wish it wasn't about to end right when it's starting to get good again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am in the minority who liked Bernie Sparrow.

My favorite was when he managed to outfox Olenna Tyrell.
"Release my daughter or we will stop shipping grain to King's Landing and we'll make the smallfolk know it's because if you."
"Oh? And tell me do you till the soil? Do you harvest the wheat? By your own hand?"

A good way of showing his take on Varys' koan about where power actually lies without being completely on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

WampaLord posted:

It's possible to both have fun watching the episode and also have fun picking it apart.
Needs to be in the OP of every TVIV thread

• Locked thread