Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Laranzu posted:

I too, attended transgender training a few months ago

ha ha you're still in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: If Donnie had a minor stroke how would we even be able to tell outside of a doctor running tests?

All his strokes are minor because he has tiny hands

But as far as his hairball brain goes I guess it depends where the stroke does the damage but I'd guess we'd see his butthole rictus face get slightly lopsided and come of his unique manglings of words just become really drool slurs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm glad the tumor in McCain's brain made him hit the no button on that vote.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/890816249373966336

(709,000 Arizonans would have lost healthcare tomorrow if he had voted yes)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 28, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

orange juche posted:

Wow that fast

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

It's our efficient government.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Someone who's good at gifs needs to edit the scene at the end of Return of the Jedi except with McConnell as the emperor and McCain as Darth Vader.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Well, I'm a little concerned.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

It just seems to me that they already had this issue dealt with pretty rationally. This is usually where I posit that there should also be more extensive screening for individuals seeking out gender reassignment surgery to rule out undiagnosed disorders on the schizoid spectrum, so we're not throwing the wrong pills at the wrong medical problem. Had a trans MtF patient who also believed she was a psychic vampire and that fairies are real. Their twin brother has a schizophrenia diagnosis. Couple of European studies indicating that 15%ish of transgender people have an undiagnosed schizoid disorder, concluding that we need better screening.

BUT... most of the scientific research into transgender people shows that there are, on average, structural differences in their brains that lead them to being such. In particular, male-to-female trans people had brains that were "feminized" even before they began medical treatment or hormones. The structural differences were much less profound in female-to-male trans people, sometimes not even being present, which would account for the higher visibility of MtF trans people as there are more of them, and the stronger trend of women simply identifying as "non-binary" rather than as male.

Genetic studies show that MtF trans people have a longer androgen receptor gene, causing testosterone to not bind as well, which causes incomplete masculinization of the brain. Twin studies show that identical twins had transgender confluence at 33% versus 2.6% for fraternal twins.

To me, it appears that regardless of the source, this is an issue of biology.

EDIT: Guess I'll cite my sources here:
Diamond, Milton (May 2013). "Transsexuality Among Twins: Identity Concordance, Transition, Rearing, and Orientation". International Journal of Transgenderism.

Bentz, E; Hefler, L; Kaufmann, U; Huber, J; Kolbus, A; Tempfer, C (2008). "A polymorphism of the CYP17 gene related to sex steroid metabolism is associated with female-to-male but not male-to-female transsexualism". Fertility and Sterility. 90 (1): 56–9

Luk Gijs, Ellis van der Putten-Bierman, Griet De Cuypere (2013) "Psychiatric Comorbidity in Adults with Gender Identity Problems". Gender Dysphoria and Disorders of Sex Development pp 255-276

Sergg fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 28, 2017

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/890820630236418050?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Couldn't give a poo poo if trans people serve in the military or if tricare pays for their reassignment surgery. We waste far more money on far dumber things.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I just wanted to explain some of the biological science behind it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If someone asks you why trans people should be able to serve tell them the main reason is because it makes conservatives mad. Then see how they feel about the politics of spite.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Casimir Radon posted:

If someone asks you why trans people should be able to serve tell them the main reason is because it makes conservatives mad. Then see how they feel about the politics of spite.

I just say they issue corrective lenses what's the diff

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder if any senators will straight up defect to the democrats before all of this is over

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Reverand maynard posted:

I wonder if any senators will straight up defect to the democrats before all of this is over

Hard to say, but Heller (R-NV) is royally hosed. He agreed to vote the way the Republican governor wanted (which Sandoval came out against all of this nonsense), waffled for a bit, and then gave in and voted along party lines.

He's less popular than Trump is in Nevada.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Reverand maynard posted:

Heller might have been able to pull it off if he did a face-turn and started singing the praises of unions and Obamacare, but now he's going to be buried in a hole out in the Nevada desert. He went way, way out on a limb for McConnell and now he's got nothing to show for it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie will probably wake up and start tweeting any time now.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

They're auctioning off a drawing of the New York City skyline that Trump made for charity in 2005. Starting bid is $9,000

EDIT: Sold for $11,979

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sergg posted:

They're auctioning off a drawing of the New York City skyline that Trump made for charity in 2005. Starting bid is $9,000

EDIT: Sold for $11,979

11,910+69

9/11/01

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZNPPpFSkM&t=10s

E: I mean, everyone else sees that too, right?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

McCain likes Presidents who weren't captured by Putin.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

orange juche posted:

I'm glad the tumor in McCain's brain made him hit the no button on that vote.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/890816249373966336

Mavrick posted:

"I've stated time and time again that one of the major failures of Obamacare was that it was rammed through Congress by Democrats on a strict-party line basis without a single Republican vote," McCain said in a statement. "We must now return to the correct way of legislating and send the bill back to committee, hold hearings, receive input from both sides of aisle, heed the recommendations of nation's governors, and produce a bill that finally delivers affordable health care for the American people. We must do the hard work our citizens expect of us and deserve."

Glad he's back. Also holy hell there's been a lot of ads here in AK for Murkowski to vote no.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TCD posted:

Glad he's back. Also holy hell there's been a lot of ads here in AK for Murkowski to vote no.

There has been absolutely zero positive arguments for why to vote for the piece of poo poo, as in "this bill will reduce premiums because x, y, z" outside of Trumpian lying. So anyone being honest/rational thought that even if they hated Obamacare, the "replacement" was terrible policy. Leaves a lot of room for normally quiet organizations to jump in and run ads like those.

Still shocked that McCain followed through on what he said, especially when he voted for the piece of trash to start debate. The whole thing ain't dead until everyone agrees it's dead, but goddamn.

I can't wait for the shitshow.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

poo poo is gonna be loving lit in Venezuela this weekend. Most airlines have stopped flying there, and the embassy is evacuating family members and dependents.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/890864012560412672

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/890864973974573056

Russia's preemptively retaliating for the new sanctions.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

someones throwing a hissy fit

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

:stare:

This is pretty bad

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's not something we have a lot of response options for, that's for sure.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It's not something we have a lot of response options for, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSSRE27GQ0

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jesus. With someone halfway competent in charge this would be bad.

I'm hosed if I know how donnie dumbfuck will react.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
So, for someone less knowledgeable, what exactly does this mean? What are the repercussions for us? How big is our embassy staff there usually, for example?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
@ the healthcare stuff

https://twitter.com/PasokonGyaru/status/890810422902669312

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

windshipper posted:

So, for someone less knowledgeable, what exactly does this mean? What are the repercussions for us? How big is our embassy staff there usually, for example?

The biggest impact is that the Venezuelans are sitting on a oil reserve bigger then the Baaken field in North Dakota and the Ghawar field in Saudi Arabia. If poo poo goes sideways and the government is overthrown, oil prices will spike back to 2011 prices and Trump might send in the 22nd MEU to restore order and protect our interests.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Venezuala just outlawed protesting too while they are trying to re-write the constitution.

Its gone nuts.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/890815543258865664

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

BigDave posted:

The biggest impact is that the Venezuelans are sitting on a oil reserve bigger then the Baaken field in North Dakota and the Ghawar field in Saudi Arabia. If poo poo goes sideways and the government is overthrown, oil prices will spike back to 2011 prices and Trump might send in the 22nd MEU to restore order and protect our interests.

Ok that's ALSO a lot bigger than I thought. poo poo.

I was originally asking about Russia, but the Venezuela thing is bigger than I thought as well.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/890885045669564417

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
John McCain did more for our country last night than tht asthmatic runt douche Audie Murphy did in his whole sorry life

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4MX3IrGSyU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/890882548217393153

• Locked thread