Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure divabot's still probed for getting too enthusiastic with book promotion.

Anyway I'm pretty sure this will be another ICO that disappears with all the money after being "hacked" like every other one but I love dentacoin just for being so loving weird and crazy, like clearly they started with "bitcoins" and worked backwards to find a problem to solve with them and the problem they found was "dentists and people with teeth need tokens to not allow their teeth to rot out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
What does ORB want with our teeth?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I am shocked that this isn't a warhammer 40K ork.

TEEF FOR TEEF!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

C-

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

TinTower posted:

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

And he did imply that Marine Le Pen was a favourable choice compared to Emmanuel Macron.

Between divabot revealing a posting career in TVTropes-adjacent forums like it's no thing and this poo poo you keep repeating, I now understand this thread is about the wrong kind of pedantry/smart stupidity/autism

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hackbunny posted:

Between divabot revealing a posting career in TVTropes-adjacent forums like it's no thing and this poo poo you keep repeating, I now understand this thread is about the wrong kind of pedantry/smart stupidity/autism

Oh gosh, we only get to mock the wrong kind of autism. What a shame.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

this thread isn't about mocking any kind of 'autism' but it is about making fun of DE and DE-adjacent doofuses rather than this derail

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Oh my loving God this is relevant to my interests.* I may have to write a paper on this.

*the history of dentistry

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Peel posted:

this thread isn't about mocking any kind of 'autism' but it is about making fun of DE and DE-adjacent doofuses rather than this derail

This thread can only do that with the most obvious doofuses. Add any degree of ambiguity and this thread behaves like a neural network trained on images of dogs

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
anyone remember those halcyon several months in the 2010s where it wasn't cool to call things "autistic"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

This thread can only do that with the most obvious doofuses. Add any degree of ambiguity and this thread behaves like a neural network trained on images of dogs

A PYF mock thread that gets bored and loses focus and starts making fun of people only vaguely tangentially related to the topic at hand?? Well now I've seen everything :monocle:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

anyone remember those halcyon several months in the 2010s where it wasn't cool to call things "autistic"

I don't think that actually happened. Like I've done my best to cut it out of my vocabulary and I know a chunk of yospos has done that too (but not everyone) but I never really saw it decrease in use on the rest of the forum or anywhere else :shrug:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Peanut Butler posted:

Couldn't stop thinking about it, and was curious if posters ITT had any thoughts on the issue of risk associated with being an outspoken atheist. Who are the thinkers out there today actually putting themselves in harm's way? I'm sure they exist but the ones who crow the most about being 'dangerous' or 'persecuted' tend to be folks who don't need to rely on community to survive.

I think generally the people who are at risk are the people who live in theocracies (so, not Westerners).

I live in the south, so I get to see a lot of windmill tilting about the War on Christmas and "Oh no, people are trying to take away our rights to be Christian! (by saying we're not allowed to force non-Christians into our way of life)" and I think really it all boils down to people who live in a fairly civil and comfortable setting wanting that feeling of being The Underdog. It makes things exciting, because you're doing something meaningful and important and just, but it's safe excitement that doesn't come with the terror of being murdered or executed or ostracized, and you generally get the support of a community of your peers, so you all get to bond over how terrible your enemy is and how great you all are for fighting it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That sort of need to inherit a meaningful struggle seems to be driving a lot of the right wing behavior these days
Their 'way of life' is fading away and being overtaken by more liberal thought. But natives pressed into colonial schools they are not. In fact that think wiping away cultures is cool and good so no one sympathizes with them

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Skeptic community has degraded far enough that they're giving fawning puff pieces to Milo after even Breitbart got tired of him

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

This was inevitable after the whole "we beat gender studies by publishing garbage in a no-name journal" thing.

Once you're no longer holding yourself to any specific standards in pursuing debunking bullshit, you're vulnerable to any conman who tells you what you want to hear.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Michael Shermer is probably not feeling too sure of his ability to attract anyone left of far-right after all those sexual assault allegations too

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Puppy Time posted:

I think generally the people who are at risk are the people who live in theocracies (so, not Westerners).

I live in the south, so I get to see a lot of windmill tilting about the War on Christmas and "Oh no, people are trying to take away our rights to be Christian! (by saying we're not allowed to force non-Christians into our way of life)" and I think really it all boils down to people who live in a fairly civil and comfortable setting wanting that feeling of being The Underdog. It makes things exciting, because you're doing something meaningful and important and just, but it's safe excitement that doesn't come with the terror of being murdered or executed or ostracized, and you generally get the support of a community of your peers, so you all get to bond over how terrible your enemy is and how great you all are for fighting it.

When you're the dominant cultural force but your holy text puts a major emphasis on persevering through oppression and persecution, weird things happen.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

When you're the dominant cultural force but your holy text puts a major emphasis on persevering through oppression and persecution, weird things happen.

Well, it also happens outside of religious stuff: see all the windmill-tilting kids who try to equate their hobbies with oppressed identities.

I tend to feel it's a combo of the aforementioned excitement of being the underdog and the feeling of "My life isn't super fun or successful, and I'd rather blame that on oppression than accept that life is just generally kinda not exciting and/or I made some bad choices earlier and getting out of this will require that I do some serious work."

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

A PYF mock thread that gets bored and loses focus and starts making fun of people only vaguely tangentially related to the topic at hand?? Well now I've seen everything :monocle:

I'm not sure why anyone is bored while Slate Star Codex still exists, its pillars untoppled, its flags untrampled, its lovely Scott unwedgied.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Sax Solo posted:

I'm not sure why anyone is bored while Slate Star Codex still exists, its pillars untoppled, its flags untrampled, its lovely Scott unwedgied.
Because no matter how bored you are, attempting to read SSC will only increase your boredom.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

lol I actually intentionally added back "autistic" at the last moment after deciding against it because I was like "naaah they won't be so irony-deaf to launch a passive aggressive anti-ableist witch hunt" but here we are

e: "math idiot" was considered too but it doesn't noun well

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Jul 28, 2017

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

hackbunny posted:

lol I actually intentionally added back "autistic" at the last moment after deciding against it because I was like "naaah they won't be so irony-deaf to launch a passive aggressive anti-ableist witch hunt" but here we are

Gosh. Who knew autistic people might not find "ironic" insults funny?

I mean, besides anyone who knows the first goddamn thing about autism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hackbunny posted:

So much for the tolerant left

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

hackbunny posted:

I am not disowning my fellow alt rightists who happen to be nazis. I am inviting them to become better friends and allies than they already are by discarding their blue pill illusions about women – by becoming even more evil than they already are.

The trouble with Nazis is that they leftists stuck in the 1930s, while the rest of the left has moved even further left. And the left was mighty bluepilled back in the 1930s.

The trouble with blaming everything on Jews is not that it is unkind to Jews. Unkind to Jews is not my problem. I will let Jews worry about that. The problem with blaming everything on Jews is that it leads to the conclusion that 1930s leftism, leftism before we let the Jews into the left wing club, was just fine.

Yes, Jews have always been subversive, and they were subversive back in the 1730s also. But I am pretty sure it was not Jews that caused everything except science to turn to poo poo in the nineteenth century, and it was not Jews that caused science to turn to poo poo in the twentieth. What happened to science after World War II was plainly the result of Harvard strong arming the Royal Society. Andrew is blaming the flies for the condition of a corpse that has a bullet hole in the head. It is not that I support flies, it is that I oppose being shot in the head.

There is a correlation between flies and corpses, but Nazis have the causation backwards.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I am not disowning my fellow alt rightists who happen to be nazis. I am inviting them to become better friends and allies than they already are by discarding their blue pill illusions about women – by becoming even more evil than they already are.

:wtc:

quote:

Yes, Jews have always been subversive, and they were subversive back in the 1730s also. But I am pretty sure it was not Jews that caused everything except science to turn to poo poo in the nineteenth century, and it was not Jews that caused science to turn to poo poo in the twentieth. What happened to science after World War II was plainly the result of Harvard strong arming the Royal Society. Andrew is blaming the flies for the condition of a corpse that has a bullet hole in the head. It is not that I support flies, it is that I oppose being shot in the head.

well, it's obviously not because of the jews that america is a communist country. it's clearly a very specific strain of protestantism that was communist since or before the 18th century (before marx, naturally).

i also want to bring back attention to this thing for comment because i have no loving idea what to think about it.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

hackbunny posted:

You're trying to pull the irony defense in this of all threads?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fututor Magnus posted:

i also want to bring back attention to this thing for comment because i have no loving idea what to think about it.

The Virgin/Chad comics are extremely art

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

I mean this thread had a big deal discussion/derail about how insulting it is to use autistic as an insult because of the actually-autistic people that post in this thread like a few months ago so it's not like we did it special for you or anything

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

I mean this thread had a big deal discussion/derail about how insulting it is to use autistic as an insult because of the actually-autistic people that post in this thread like a few months ago so it's not like we did it special for you or anything

A good lie is more enjoyable than the objective truth. Even more enjoyable, when that lie also uses "autistic" as an insult.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I know how irony-deaf Autistic people can be so try not to use it pejoratively, as my younger brother is autistic and has some trouble with metaphor/allegory. I know this because I tried to discuss the allegorical side of a thing we'd both seen (can't remember what) and he flat out refused to accept that there was any hidden meaning in it at all. (It wasn't just me being me, the allegory had been pointed out to me first)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
On a related note, Less Wrong strategy of hiding behind autistic people when they want to criticize SJ(it is impossible to be both autistic and part of some other marginalized group and let NO ONE tell you differently) has gone mainstream with a terrible article by a lovely person

EDIT: For once, reading the comments was a good idea http://quillette.com/2017/07/18/neurodiversity-case-free-speech/#comment-8656

The Vosgian Beast has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Jul 29, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

On a related note, Less Wrong strategy of hiding behind autistic people when they want to criticize SJ(it is impossible to be both autistic and part of some other marginalized group and let NO ONE tell you differently) has gone mainstream with a terrible article by a lovely person

EDIT: For once, reading the comments was a good idea http://quillette.com/2017/07/18/neurodiversity-case-free-speech/#comment-8656

Man, it takes some stones for a literal eugenics advocate to couch his views in concern for the disabled.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The Virgin/Chad comics are extremely art

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Omg

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I'm pretty sure divabot's still probed for getting too enthusiastic with book promotion.

I have repaid my debt to society, am repentant and reformed, so if you want to hear about our lord and saviour Satoshi I'm in action on the home thread

(book is going well, 400 sales so far, just up on Smashwords, print version probably before the sun implodes)

hackbunny posted:

and yet, despite my hard work in the cause, I'm still less of a horrible shithead than you. Also I know better than to read Sam Kriss.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Fututor Magnus posted:

It's actually pretty simple:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

If only skeptics read RationalWiki, then they could find out what cultural Marxism is!

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/07/24/targeting-meritocracy/

another lovely scottpost is up, and this one is pretty stupid as expected.

jesus christ. let's not question the failings of neoliberal ultracapitalist ideologies, but just assume any economic recessions are due to the guy at the top not being meritorious enough. and if you're wondering whether scott has a magically fair and objective rubric from which to judge merit among economists which would turn up a candidate who's most meritorious and by way of utilitarian magicks can turn neoliberalism into something that will never fail... i don't know why anyone would think that, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

And naturally, the way to give someone an unfair advantage in being good at economics is magic gene therapy, rather than giving them a good education. Gotta go with the example that sounds technoutopian and also subtly implies that merit is genetic.