Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's been up on the EU PSN for all of today. Haven't had a chance to play it but looks pretty meaty - doesn't seem to be any trophies for the new difficulty, which seems odd. Apparently there's another tier of divine gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
There's a new Enlightened tier of gear that drops in Way of the Wise (NG+++) that's orange.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the first new main story level. Really annoying gimmick that wasn't fun in DS3 and isn't fun here, combined with lackluster visuals.

Also, holy crap (new enemy spoilers) ninja dogs!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Magus42 posted:

There's a new Enlightened tier of gear that drops in Way of the Wise (NG+++) that's orange.

Neat. As long as my ninja skills remain I'm happy. :ninja:

Any full patch notes up somewhere?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Is there a way to activate/download the DLC from the PS4 website or do I have to wait until I get home?

e: holy poo poo loot filtering finally, goodbye white and blue drops :wave:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 25, 2017

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
So some thoughts overall about the DLC content + new difficulty after playing for several hours straight today.

- New levels are just as intricate and well designed as DLC 1, and because the time this takes place in is winter, some old stages return with snow added, which is a nice touch.
- The new boss fights in this DLC are the raddest poo poo Team Ninja has put together for this game yet. Date and Maria were already pretty over the top in Dragon of the North, but Sasuke and Sanada one up them super loving hard. Sasuke in particular, when fighting against him with Tonfa, feels the closest to this game engine replicating a Ninja Gaiden boss fight, in terms of speed and fluidity.
- Tonfa are fantastic and they all but replace the Dual Swords for me. Reason I still whip out those two blades is that Tonfa don't have a proper parry attack with grapple animation. But Demon Dance (the short range dash that occurs when you Ki Pulse) is amazing and allows for some fun mix ups and combos. Plus the impact sounds.
- Only negative thing I can say about the new content is the lack of new distinct enemies. The only one that isn't a reskin of an existing one is the ninja dogs/fox spirits. Both function the same, though the former throws shuriken and the latter shoots fireballs. Both are fast, though. But everything else, not that different from what we've already fought in the rest of the game.
- Way of the Wise difficulty retains the random, super buffed enemies from Way of the Demon, but now the enemies are actually remixed with some DLC enemies showing up in the main game. Also they hit harder, as you'd expect, but if you had all +15 Divine Gear going into this with affixes that work well in tandem, it's not a slog to get through based on the early game missions I replayed. And there is a new tier of rarity, "Ethereal", but it doesn't replace Divine in terms of drop rate. I only came across one armor piece that was Ethereal, and everything else was Divine of a higher level. So it's gonna be important to keep improving your Divine Gear while also looking out for anything Ethereal and hold onto it, because some of the new skills and set bonuses added to them are something else.
- New level cap for Guardian Spirits, and the character level cap has been raised as well. Don't know how high yet, but I've already seen a couple revenants that passed level 400.

In short, Nioh continues to be the best goddamn game of 2017, and this new DLC continues to back up that claim. Can't wait for DLC 3, and will keep chipping away at WOTW in the interim.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Norns posted:

gently caress this game is good.

You are on a soulsbornioh rampage of late.

Also yeah this game loving owns and is a lot of fun to play.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Finally beat Gourd on samurai now that I'm lv 207. Hopefully tonfas are sweet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

JBP posted:

You are on a soulsbornioh rampage of late.

Also yeah this game loving owns and is a lot of fun to play.

Yeah! I bounced off of DS2 really hard when it came out. And talking about BB got me itching to play. Now I'm just rotating this DS3 and BB.

All of them are very good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Norns posted:

Yeah! I bounced off of DS2 really hard when it came out. And talking about BB got me itching to play. Now I'm just rotating this DS3 and BB.

All of them are very good.

I played this until I had twitch muscles and a thirst for more difficult action gaming. Then I went back to my dusty, year old copy of BB and smashed through it. Now I'm in the Ringed City DLC for DS3. Once you pop, you can't stop.

Nothing in the soulsborne games feels as good as the katana haze parry imo.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What's the quickest way to get your hands on some tonfa in an existing save? Just go to a dlc area and fight revenents?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Kelly Hallway in Strong is kicking my butt. Having a lovely half done Kunkai throwing build doesnt help either since I have the worst luck no idea what to do

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

What's the quickest way to get your hands on some tonfa in an existing save? Just go to a dlc area and fight revenents?

If you have the DLC tonfa are dropping from regular enemies even in non-DLC missions. I forgot I was at the beginning of ninja house so I'm playing through that to get back to the map screen and I've already found a pair of Divine yin-yang tonfa. I know more have dropped but I'm filtering everything below Purple so these were the first pair I actually picked up.

Monolith. posted:

They're loving brutal. A lot of their moves are multi-hit and like the odachi they have skills you can buy that let you chain different parts of their combos together. They do massive ki damage, they're like a marriage of dual swords and axes :getin:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really need to get back into this.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Alteisen posted:

I really need to get back into this.

I do too, provided I can tear myself away from Persona 5. I always worry about getting away from the game for too long, only to come back and realize that I've lost the muscle memory or dexterity.

I still want to give the multiplayer a try, too, but I'm waiting to get some bills paid off before I drop the money needed for a PSPlus subscription.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Monolith. posted:

Tonfa justify the DLC's asking price all by themselves. :allears:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Deified Data posted:

Still the hidden Teahouse. Just grab some for a tiny amount of glory.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I had a bit of time to dip into Way of the Wise and ouch. Though my equipment jumped from 200 +15 to 30 +24 in no time flat, including some really shiny Ethereal items, I have zero guilt about using a cheesy ninja build - I die to the big Yokai's instant backhand attack, and a couple of projectiles bring me down (to say nothing of hand cannons...). Game has officially stopped loving around.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just booted up the game this morning to get my respec for tonfa in, mostly the same as my last ninjutsu build but replacing dual swords with tonfa. The skill tree is short and sweet, the bare essentials that make the weapon unique with a minimum of redundant skills. I haven't used them to kill anything yet but the dodge on ki pulse is gonna be fun to play with.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I had a branch that gave me 100 million amirita when using it, anyone know how I git that?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
It's a guaranteed reward from return of the gourd the first time you beat it(or whatever it's called). Can also get it on subsequent runs, albeit rare.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Along those lines, The Three Souls mission gives 100 million Amrita on Way of the Wise. Probably a little redundant if you can get that far in the first place, but nice to know all the same.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 27, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What's a good place to level for the normal mode Defiant Honor stages? Have only ever wet my feet with Way of the Strong and I'm about 20 levels under the recommendation

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Treat the mission level as a rough guide rather than something specific - Way of the Demon has a level suggestion of 600 on even early levels. :v:

If you can beat the first mission you'll be alright. That tonfa jerk is the hardest fight in the DLC.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

poptart_fairy posted:

Treat the mission level as a rough guide rather than something specific - Way of the Demon has a level suggestion of 600 on even early levels. :v:

If you can beat the first mission you'll be alright. That tonfa jerk is the hardest fight in the DLC.

Guess I'll be alright then, since I managed to scrape through the first stage. I was getting one-shot from full health by some of the big dudes though. Tonfa guy was pretty drat fun, especially since I was also using the Tonfa against him. They're a fun as hell weapon.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Big dudes are going to remain dangerous.. William is very fragile even in heavy armour, you're not going to be taking hits like you are in other Souls-esque games. You'll have a moment where everything clicks into place.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Being able to deflect cannon shots back to the enemy is cool and good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

quote:

PATCH 1.15 FEATURES
ADJUSTMENTS
Changed the rewards for the following missions when completing them for the 2nd time onward (except for on Way of the Samurai):
The Three Souls / Yokai Country / Spirit Stone Huntress

BUG FIXES
Fixed a bug in version 1.14 that prevented you from forging using Silabar Ingots.
Fixed a bug that caused an application error when you entered the Onryoki's area in "Isle of Demons" on the Way of the Wise.
Fixed a bug that caused an application error when you defeated a boss while the "Bonus for absorbing Amrita" special effect was active.
Fixed a bug in which the amount of Amrita you received was reduced when using more than one Large Spirit Stone at a time.
Fixed a bug in which you received less gold than expected for completing "Restless Spirits" on the Way of the Wise.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Goddamn, 5k health and keep getting one-shot. Think I'm going to have to take the hit to agility and go for a medium armour build - Way of the Wise does not let you make mistakes as a squishy.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Even that might not save you, in full heavy armour the onryoki in greater demon hunting still hits me for over 6k. It sucks, I actually have to start to learn some of the bosses now instead of just instantly nuking them with a high stance strong axe attack :(

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Quick change insurance has you covered. I finally got some at level light armor aside from the head and I can get two shotted at best now :haw:

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 31, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is Ogress supposed to be a massive damage sponge or am I underleveled? I I hit her like 500 times before dying and barely made a visible dent in her health.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Is Ogress supposed to be a massive damage sponge or am I underleveled? I I hit her like 500 times before dying and barely made a visible dent in her health.

I think ogress is strong against fire and lightning, that might be the problem. She did have a very big HP pool from memory of my first run.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Like the regular ogress in the first difficulty level of the story?

You're doing something wrong, because she's super easy.

And I don't mean because you're dumb or bad or anything. I just mean she's really easy to discord and shut down by hugging her souls-style. So if you aren't achieving discord, try different elements. I don't remember offhand what her resistances are.

This game is really punishing if you use elements that enemies are resistant too.

And it's not super intuitive what their resistances are, so I just looked them up after a few attempts so I don't waste any more time trying poo poo that will never work.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. her move set is really easy. It was just turning into a test of attrition because I was doing so little damage. I was using a fire weapon and I'm definitely not up to the recommended level so that probably explains it. My guesstimate is that it would have taken me 30 minutes to kill her at the rate of damage I was doing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. her move set is really easy. It was just turning into a test of attrition because I was doing so little damage. I was using a fire weapon and I'm definitely not up to the recommended level so that probably explains it. My guesstimate is that it would have taken me 30 minutes to kill her at the rate of damage I was doing.

"recommended levels" are a complete lie. They are actually the loot level for the mission, and not the level of character that you should be.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

veni veni veni posted:

I was using a fire weapon

There's your problem. She's a fire demon and even uses fire attacks on you. Her weaknesses are Water (surprise) and Earth so use preferably Water Talismans and finish her off with and earth elemental Guardian Spirit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I always carry two katanas. One for humans... and one for monsters (or poo poo that is resistant to wind).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Crimson Fortress twilight mission is absolutely horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

There's your problem. She's a fire demon and even uses fire attacks on you. Her weaknesses are Water (surprise) and Earth so use preferably Water Talismans and finish her off with and earth elemental Guardian Spirit.

She's resistant to Fire and Lightning, so Wind is a valid third element if you're an Onmyo Mage who likes to drown enemies in status effects.

Fighting her as a ninja must suck rear end, though - resistances to Fire, Poison, and Paralysis don't leave you with many toys to play with.