Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anime dogtits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

mishaq posted:

anime dogtits

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the correct term is "cartoon cattits"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
you know what my poison is? appeals to skilled labour being properly respected and recognized. ooh yeah that's the stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna have a few drinks tonight!! heheh i am so excited about who i am going to meet. the most excited for a new perso meet ever i think

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

wanna have a few drinks tonight!! heheh i am so excited about who i am going to meet. the most excited for a new perso meet ever i think

update ur e/n thread afterwards m8

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just drank a glass of Glenmorangie and now I'm sitting here contemplating how skilled labor is actually quite easy and doesn't require skill.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

favorite beverage -> gently caress off moo cow

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

I just drank a glass of Glenmorangie and now I'm sitting here contemplating how skilled labor is actually quite easy and doesn't require skill.

the skill is involved mostly in figuring out how to maintain steady work until retirement with your hosed up lower back injuries and subsequent opiate dependence

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

update ur e/n thread afterwards m8

if it goes how i hope maybe i will because this is definitely opening a sliding door into a new world for sure

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's really hard to understand the learning that goes into actually knowing a trade when your only context for "work" is coding fart apps or janitoring some computers for upwards of 2 hours a week

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i can't wait to automate whatever industry stymie's in

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yep, computer touching, that's a business that isn't rapidly becoming automated in every way, nosiree

i mean, aside from the billion dollar market segments that focus on doing precisely that, but let's ignore those

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i don't underestimate the knowledge and skills that trade people have a but i talked to a electrician lately who said a whole handful are good at the tools but keep failing the tests. regardless i've met all sorts of tradies who get slaughtered each weekend and are ok during the week

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

why don't you go have a drink with your labourer pals from the labour factory

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

there is an epidemic of anime dogtits engagement and quoting and it must cease

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

all labour is labour

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
thankfully, the best kind of computer touching (software engineering) cannot be fully automated, because giving the automaton a clear specification of the system to design amounts to designing the system. abstractions may improve, but that just means more opportunities for abstraction-breaking failures that take an expert to diagnose. without human-level AI, i don't think this job is going anywhere anytime soon

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol adorable

keep on holding on to those dreams, lil buddy

hopefully by the time your glorified typist position goes away you'll still be young enough to learn a trade

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'll have made enough money by then to retire (and also buy whatever company you work for and close it :smug:)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i hope you find happiness because you clearly have not found it yet

you deserve to have contentment and self-fulfillment and it cannot be found computer touching

namaste

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i like my job a lot actually, i find it quite fulfilling, and what i don't get there i can easily afford to get from recreation with all the cash dollar bills i make!

i'm not hateful, i just think you're a human being. and a bad poster.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jewkillwr speaks the truth

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i can't wait to automate whatever industry stymie's in

stymie is literally a child

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

mishaq posted:

there is an epidemic of anime dogtits engagement and quoting and it must cease

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

thankfully, the best kind of computer touching (software engineering) cannot be fully automated, because giving the automaton a clear specification of the system to design amounts to designing the system. abstractions may improve, but that just means more opportunities for abstraction-breaking failures that take an expert to diagnose. without human-level AI, i don't think this job is going anywhere anytime soon

p.much. your next problem however is dealing with the avalanche of people shifting into software engineering because that will be literally one of the few jobs people can get paid a livable amount of figgies for.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

qhat posted:

p.much. your next problem however is dealing with the avalanche of people shifting into software engineering because that will be literally one of the few jobs people can get paid a livable amount of figgies for.

universal basic income my man

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

universal basic income my man

i'll believe it when i see it. it's much easier to just stamp on the testicles of a homeless person.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i like my job a lot actually, i find it quite fulfilling, and what i don't get there i can easily afford to get from recreation with all the cash dollar bills i make!

i'm not hateful, i just think you're a human being. and a bad poster.

stop crying, bitch.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

theyre trying it in finland, utrecht that i can remember off the top fo my head

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

imo ubi doesn't really work unless the automation is directly owned by the state and/or there are massive taxes on automated industry, which there are currently not. i'm much more in favour of just distributing the money being given to employed people with a good income to people who actually need it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

theyre trying it in finland, utrecht that i can remember off the top fo my head

it seems pretty meager though. something like €560 a month in a country where the average income is €3500 a month and rent for a small apartment averages €800-ish.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really like universal basic income in theory, but i am also aware that i am a highly educated person who (according to the bad measures used for these things) could make substantial contributions to the economy, but given the option of leaning back in a chair reading books for €560 a month i likely would opt for that instead v:shobon:v

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

€560/mo isnt a lot tho, its enough to survive (and more humane than making people do slave labour for benefits (UK lol)/sign on and jump through hoops, fill forms etc)

enough ppl wanna make figgies for nice things that theyll actually bother to do expensively paid work (e.g. computer touching)

i think

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

agreed, i think that remains true, and something of the sort is necessary, we really can't just make up work for people forever. i am careful making the argument for it though as i have to admit that i would myself be a bit of a bad case for such reform

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Knuc U Kinte posted:

stop crying, bitch.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I get paid to post on yospos and that's harder to do well than plumbing or welding or whatever.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
what about the skilled labor and craft required to distill spirits or bake bread

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
wow seems like yospos has some angry drunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good movie about drinking : once were warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfhiEk7GtY