Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
regarding swedish pricing: https://www.facebook.com/AMDDeutschland/posts/1570345849692602

reddit translation posted:

Hi Stefan, we understand your worries. But please let us say this: it is only an unconfirmed rumor. And we don't comment on those in general. But we hope you will form your opinion about VEGA after there are offical or independent, but confirmed information about it.

quote:

Guys, please be sweethearts! We said about rumors what there is to say. So please read the last paragraph of the article you posted. "There are a bunch of reasons to doubt the pricing information coming from sweden.", so wait and see ;)
in other words please don't write off vega until the official pricing gets released and the rumors turn out to be broadly correct and vega is overpriced garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Right now literally everything is overpriced, so there's actually a 50% chance that Vega launch pricing just makes people go "oh."

It's only if there's some kind of mining burst before then that anyone will really notice the problems.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know how to downgrade your Radeon driver? I have a feeling their new driver is doing something really weird, and running old setups just uses an online installer that fetches the newest.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Uninstall the current driver, then download an old one from here.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Craptacular! posted:

Right now literally everything is overpriced, so there's actually a 50% chance that Vega launch pricing just makes people go "oh."

It's only if there's some kind of mining burst before then that anyone will really notice the problems.

Not really, every indication is that Vega competes with the 1080 in performance and you can get one of those for $500 even with the mining stuff, then there is the 1080Ti, a much faster card for $700. If these pricing rumors end up correct we would be looking at a $800-$900 Vega card with $500 worth of performance. Every review will pan the card, and those reviews, especially when all the reviewers agree, really do set public perception of the product. The only other possibility I see is that these prices are not MSRP but prices being set extremely high by retailers to gouge miners right out of the gate, but last I looked the mining performance of Vega is pretty bad so miners won't be buying anyway.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
e: nevermind I'm dumb

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Not really, every indication is that Vega competes with the 1080 in performance and you can get one of those for $500 even with the mining stuff, then there is the 1080Ti, a much faster card for $700. If these pricing rumors end up correct we would be looking at a $800-$900 Vega card with $500 worth of performance. Every review will pan the card, and those reviews, especially when all the reviewers agree, really do set public perception of the product. The only other possibility I see is that these prices are not MSRP but prices being set extremely high by retailers to gouge miners right out of the gate, but last I looked the mining performance of Vega is pretty bad so miners won't be buying anyway.

:lol: AMD gets a lot of press sympathy points even when they turn out to be overpriced and overly late garbage like Phenom and BD, despite what the red team cultists complaining otherwise.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 28, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh dear...

IntelUser2000 posted:

There are people on Ethereum forums where they swear by the Vega FE's they managed to get. Some really smart guys too.

I am fairly sure there will be people that buy many Vega's just because they have enough cash to throw around and just want to experiment. There are those that bought Fury and Fury X's for that and put 6 of them. It doesn't make sense, but they did. Heck, even 1080's.

Will it sell in volume is the question. That I don't think so. People buy sub-optimal products but LOT more buy a good product for its intended purpose. If some are really it in for ROI and not looking just to get a free card they'd stay away from Vega, even wait a few weeks for Polaris cards to arrive.

For me I'd get a 1070 instead. Vega IS faster at 37MH/s rather than 32MH/s, but uses 3x the power or so and its immature. 1070's are also significantly lower than $500. Nvidia's drivers also tend to be much superior to AMD's. Actually, a 1060 is a better choice since its not much of a loss in performance for much lower price. I see a very unfortunate situation coming for AMD where they even lose the niche advantage they had, which is mining, come Volta.

I take exception to the bold bit. I wonder how long the ROI is for Vega FE especially compared to just buying two cheaper cards that are nearly as fast.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

At this point I'm really loving hoping all the crypto currency miners just roll over and die before Volta hits because I really want to get a new card

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VostokProgram posted:

At this point I'm really loving hoping all the crypto currency miners just roll over and die before Volta hits because I really want to get a new card

I'm pulling this completely out of my rear end, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if nVidia debuts the x70 Volta for ~$449. They don't need to compete with AMD this generation, so why kneecap them with another $329-349 initial MSRP?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 28, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm pulling this completely out of my rear end, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if nVidia debuts the x70 Volta for ~$449. They don't need to compete with AMD this generation, so why kneecap them with another $329-349 initial MSRP?
They'd be pricing it more because miners would actually pay for that. Video card pricing can still be a bit of a sore spot for a lot of people, unlike CPUs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They'd be pricing it more because miners would actually pay for that. Video card pricing can still be a bit of a sore spot for a lot of people, unlike CPUs.

Every unsubstantiated rumor I've heard about Volta suggests GDDR5X for the x70 and GDDR6 for the x80. Pretty sure the same thing that hosed over efficient mining with cards using GDDR5X will be the same on cards using GDDR6, perhaps even more so, because no one's going to bother modifying hash code for a single GPU architecture unless it magically quadruples completion rates or something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Drakhoran posted:

Uninstall the current driver, then download an old one from here.
I'm getting an Error 182: AMD installation software failed to identify AMD graphics hardware (translated).

I used the selector first, but it only has the newest version.

I've got a R9 270X.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
For anyone in the thread with a 1080ti Founders Edition that's tired of their card being a hot loud mess I've got a good trip report to share. I was able to snag one of EVGA's Hybrid kits that they recently re-designed and released.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-B1

It went on my PNY 1080ti FE with no issues, there's a ton of parts provided including a new shroud so my card can play dressup and pretend to be an EVGA hybrid 1080ti now. The design is pretty interesting with a copper block covering the bits around the gpu core and mates to the pump that sits on the core itself, they also include a new fan with heatsink that cools all the bits that the main block doesn't get like some of the memory modules. The directions were pretty easy to follow as long as you took a moment to think about what you were doing before you actually did it. I only needed 2 Phillips screwdrivers and a 4mm nut driver to swap everything out, all told it probably took me a little over an hour to do.

My temps went from ~75°C at load with a custom fan profile that was somewhere between "noticable" and "hairdryer" to maxing out at 42°C in some passmark testing it did last night. The fan on the radiator is comparable to a case fan and I just left it on auto and it stayed at a suitably low RPM.

The results probably aren't news to many of you since everyone knows the reference coolers suck compared to just about anything else and while the price tag on the kit is about $20-40 more than it probably should be it does have good fit and finish.

In short.. I spent $600 on a video card to spend another $170 on a cooler for it to not be so hot or loud.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Im glad there is a revision but $170 :kiddo:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

1gnoirents posted:

Im glad there is a revision but $170 :kiddo:

Assuming the mounting system is relatively similar to a G10, and that NVidia doesn't decide to radically redesign their layouts, you spend that $170 once and can keep swapping it to new cards for years, ensuring a nice cool and quiet gaming system.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Every unsubstantiated rumor I've heard about Volta suggests GDDR5X for the x70 and GDDR6 for the x80. Pretty sure the same thing that hosed over efficient mining with cards using GDDR5X will be the same on cards using GDDR6, perhaps even more so, because no one's going to bother modifying hash code for a single GPU architecture unless it magically quadruples completion rates or something.

As far as I know this is only an issue with Etherium though, my 1070s and 1080 Tis have pretty similar mining efficiency with Nicehash the latter just never mine Eth.

SpaceBanditos posted:

For anyone in the thread with a 1080ti Founders Edition that's tired of their card being a hot loud mess I've got a good trip report to share. I was able to snag one of EVGA's Hybrid kits that they recently re-designed and released.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-B1

It went on my PNY 1080ti FE with no issues, there's a ton of parts provided including a new shroud so my card can play dressup and pretend to be an EVGA hybrid 1080ti now. The design is pretty interesting with a copper block covering the bits around the gpu core and mates to the pump that sits on the core itself, they also include a new fan with heatsink that cools all the bits that the main block doesn't get like some of the memory modules. The directions were pretty easy to follow as long as you took a moment to think about what you were doing before you actually did it. I only needed 2 Phillips screwdrivers and a 4mm nut driver to swap everything out, all told it probably took me a little over an hour to do.

My temps went from ~75°C at load with a custom fan profile that was somewhere between "noticable" and "hairdryer" to maxing out at 42°C in some passmark testing it did last night. The fan on the radiator is comparable to a case fan and I just left it on auto and it stayed at a suitably low RPM.

The results probably aren't news to many of you since everyone knows the reference coolers suck compared to just about anything else and while the price tag on the kit is about $20-40 more than it probably should be it does have good fit and finish.

In short.. I spent $600 on a video card to spend another $170 on a cooler for it to not be so hot or loud.

Sadly I can't do this because I don't have a reference PCB, have you noticed any difference in the clocks the card is able to hit?

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 28, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Sadly I can't do this because I don't have a reference PCB, have you noticed any difference in the clocks the card is able to hit?

You can still use a G10+AIO on most non-reference PCBs, since almost no one bothers to change up the actual mounting hole layouts, and the fan on the G10 doesn't much care if the VRMs are in slightly different arrangements.

Liquid cooling doesn't do a whole lot for Pascal cards in terms of allowing higher clocks, but it does keep things a lot quieter.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
By the time I got it all put together I ran a quick benchmark and then loaded up PUBG and played way too late into the night. I'll mess with MSI afterburner a bit this weekend and see what it does. It will probably boost clock the same as before but I won't need the fan going full tilt to do it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

DrDork posted:

You can still use a G10+AIO on most non-reference PCBs, since almost no one bothers to change up the actual mounting hole layouts, and the fan on the G10 doesn't much care if the VRMs are in slightly different arrangements.

Liquid cooling doesn't do a whole lot for Pascal cards in terms of allowing higher clocks, but it does keep things a lot quieter.

My 1070 clocks are pretty stable but my 1080 Ti clocks down a bit as it heats up, I'm assuming that this is because power consumption goes up with temperature and the 1080 Ti seems to peg the power limit more often than the 1070 does.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

SpaceBanditos posted:

By the time I got it all put together I ran a quick benchmark and then loaded up PUBG and played way too late into the night. I'll mess with MSI afterburner a bit this weekend and see what it does. It will probably boost clock the same as before but I won't need the fan going full tilt to do it.

You should be able to sustain higher clockspeeds coming from an FE blower from all that I've seen. It's about the only real scenario where slapping on an AIO will actually make your card faster for Pascal. And now you can OC to the same general frequency range as everybody else which can be significantly higher than sustained clockspeeds with a blower.

That being said I dont know wtf is up with PUBG but if I OC 50 mhz on memory it crashes hard. That game actually made me stick to an undervolt for the first time ever.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

1gnoirents posted:

You should be able to sustain higher clockspeeds coming from an FE blower from all that I've seen. It's about the only real scenario where slapping on an AIO will actually make your card faster for Pascal. And now you can OC to the same general frequency range as everybody else which can be significantly higher than sustained clockspeeds with a blower.

That being said I dont know wtf is up with PUBG but if I OC 50 mhz on memory it crashes hard. That game actually made me stick to an undervolt for the first time ever.

PUBG is super picky when it comes to clocks with pascal it seems. Very easy to get it to crash when messing with clocks and voltages.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

http://www.pcgamer.com/cryptocurrency-miners-are-renting-boeing-747s-to-ship-graphics-cards/
Hmmmm

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

:lol:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:what:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You guys laugh but if they really have an economy of scale it makes sense.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I'm going to guess thats a gross exaggeration and they are just shipping via the storage hold like normal rather than chartering a loving 747 and filling the chairs with gpus but ... who knows...

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

I'm going to guess thats a gross exaggeration and they are just shipping via the storage hold like normal rather than chartering a loving 747 and filling the chairs with gpus but ... who knows...

Aren't there cargo 747's?

Imagine filling a whole cargo plane with gpu's.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

the geforce must flow

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SinineSiil posted:

every 747 is a cargo plane, Boeing didn't know if the passenger market would take off for the 747 so they designed it to be a back up cargo plane.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SinineSiil posted:

Yes, that's what this would be. And much like any other form of transport, you generally can charter one if you are willing to pay enough. It also sounds like they're not just shipping around GPUs, but entire industrial-sized setups. Still a hilarious expense, but if you're potentially dropping hundreds of thousands (millions?) into the game...

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

SinineSiil posted:

I was curious, turns out a 747 can fit around 80,000 GPUs (using dimentions of the rather large Asus STRIX box). If they were 1080 Tis powered up they would use around 20 megawatts. If you attach a shaft and generator to a couple of those engines you could have a nice flying mining rig.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Never underestimate the hashing power of a 747 full of Radeons

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The airplane is stifling hot but the tradeoff is that the passengers and crew get burritos rather than a bag with four pretzels in it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

MaxxBot posted:

The airplane is stifling hot but the tradeoff is that the passengers and crew get burritos rather than a bag with four pretzels in it.

There's potential for truly fab air cooling with the right set of apertures fore and aft.

Has anyone else noticed a ton of 1080tis selling for like 10% their value on ebay within 12 hrs? Happened a few days ago on uk ebay. Has to be money laundering, right? Wonder why that was so transparent

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 28, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

If you attach a shaft and generator to a couple of those engines you could have a nice flying mining rig.

They already do. Almost all jet engines have some sort of electrical generator strapped to them. The IDG's on a 747 can put out something like 90kA. Each.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DrDork posted:

They already do. Almost all jet engines have some sort of electrical generator strapped to them. The IDG's on a 747 can put out something like 90kA. Each.

Quick google suggests the 777's IDG puts out 120 kVA so you could probably run a thousand undervolted RX 480s on one.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

so anybody wanna start a pool to buy a SH/SC mining jet ? Invest early and you get a percentage of everybody who invests later on I promise

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

so anybody wanna start a pool to buy a SH/SC mining jet ? Invest early and you get a percentage of everybody who invests later on I promise

Remember, you don't have to pay taxes if you mine in international airspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
:five: