Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

Teach me your skills. Is it being a Bard? I will switch to Bard if that's what it takes to school dudes in frontlines. I can barely take out a DPS as a SMN, even after blowing the whole rotation.

unfortunately, i have nothing to teach you, since i know gently caress-all about bard

fortunately, this means that any schmuck can rack up the kills if they just select things that aren't ice and push buttons

(practical advice: practice situational awareness and playing with the map screen open. you're a golden god as long as you have high/fever, but once misplaced step and you're toast, since 48 enemy players will beeline for a battle high ranged dps like you're the last aquafina delivery truck in a Max Max world)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

By the way here's a screencap of the character my niece designed, some people asked me to post it.

That's a purple heart on the right cheek lol

Too compressed, use Snipping Tool.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
much like in wow, classes with dots have semi-artificially inflated damage numbers in things like pvp

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Too compressed, use Snipping Tool.

do you need a high quality screenshot of that? I uploaded a png to imgur but it gave me a jpg for whatever reason

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SettingSun posted:

Teach me your skills. Is it being a Bard? I will switch to Bard if that's what it takes to school dudes in frontlines. I can barely take out a DPS as a SMN, even after blowing the whole rotation.

It's being a BRD. Combined with genuinely good knowledge of proper tactics in frontlines. But also a good chunk of it is being a BRD. Don't expect it to work as a BLM. Don't expect frontlines or PvP in general to be fun as a BLM in SB. MCH is also powerful in PvP still, too my knowledge. DRK has the whole killzone yank going for them. PLD can be good but only if you have intelligent team mates, so I'd only roll with that if you queue with other people in a pre-made.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

do you need a high quality screenshot of that? I uploaded a png to imgur but it gave me a jpg for whatever reason

I mean, it just looks compressed is all and I think people should know how to take screenshots that aren't.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

dyou think midgardsormr watches us jerk it

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Left Coast Loot finally got our scheduling game sorted and killed A1S after a couple pulls.

Then we got owned by Catastrophe for 2 hours, but we done good all around

:feelsgood:

"You" is Ciaphas

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
PBC chat, someone reposts this Nate Silver pic from election day -

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Given that sub-50 dungeons are garbo, which of these is the best way to power to 50?

PotD 1-10
PotD 51-60
PotD 51-100
Frontlines
Feast

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

cheetah7071 posted:

Given that sub-50 dungeons are garbo, which of these is the best way to power to 50?

PotD 1-10
PotD 51-60
PotD 51-100
Frontlines
Feast

PotD 51-60's the most efficient, especially in a premade that focuses on speed. Level 50-60 can be done in a day off with time to spare.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm probably gonna go back to dungeons once I'm 50 since those ones aren't terrible. I'm mostly just doing this to have another tank at 60 so I can keep riding the cracked cluster train once warrior hits 70

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'd still throw in a leveling roulette or frontline roulette something once a day just to keep from going stark raving mad from doing POTD over and over and over but yeah pretty much.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
BLM is disgustingly overpowered in shatter, but in a different way. Their on-demand burst is incredible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm probably gonna go back to dungeons once I'm 50 since those ones aren't terrible. I'm mostly just doing this to have another tank at 60 so I can keep riding the cracked cluster train once warrior hits 70

The HW level dungeons outside of The Vault are pretty bad, honestly.
They're better than 2.x but it's not exactly thrilling stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Average Google Play Store Books has nice music but that's all. The Hard version is the actually good one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The HW level dungeons outside of The Vault are pretty bad, honestly.
They're better than 2.x but it's not exactly thrilling stuff.

I've done them enough to know I don't hate them and not enough to be sick of them but maybe my tune will change later

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had one of those killing people > breaking ice Frontlines today. When it started, some people were saying "We can win if we focus objectives" so I said "Like focusing players instead of ice." The dude must've been typing at the same time because he finished with "Like focusing ice." Then the game proper started and it was the Shatter type that begins with all of the little ice lighting up immediately. I got showered with "Ayyyy lmao" as everyone rushed off to the ices. After about 30 seconds, it was all gone, so now what? Nobody had won obviously. Maelstrom was in 3rd place. People started giving out in chat. At some point about half way through though, everyone decided to start focusing people. I guess with no ice, you're sort've forced to. Sure enough, rack up a streak of 10 kills or so and suddenly you're ahead. We captured Flames at some point and actually held it for some time. Ended up with the underdog victory and I got my extra tomes out of it.

That's just my anecdotal evidence that focusing ice is stupid and dumb.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Left Coast Loot finally got our scheduling game sorted and killed A1S after a couple pulls.

"You" is Ciaphas

yeaahhh breaking 4k in a real fight :woop:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

BLM is disgustingly overpowered in shatter, but in a different way. Their on-demand burst is incredible.

Any form of burst on BLM involves lining up an F4 (or enochian charge spell, but that can only be done 30 seconds and only if you hald viable targets in range to keep enochian up for that duration) followed by a swiftcast F4. This entails standing still with a giant flashing "murder me now" sign over your head, during which there's a decent chance your target has moved out of range or you died because someone looked in your general direction. BRD actually has the option to retreat while doing full damage and none of their defensive options are cut off while they are doing said damage.

I concede that BLM might be good in an organized team where you have a DRK yanking and stunning someone into a kill-zone, but in the context of solo queueing and expecting to make a difference, it's a very suicidal job to pick.

Edit: And if anyone catches you alone at any point, basically anyone can win a 1 Vs 1 fight against a BLM in my experience. And bereft of an ally to aetherial manipulation to, you're rather boned for actual escape options. Sleep doesn't last remotely long enough to protect you against anything other than a melee with the sprint ability on cooldown.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 28, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh yeah, i'm so used to black mages in pvp being coordinated bot murderballs, i'd never actually solo queue with it

e: the other half of it is: if you queue in with a murderstack of BLMs and start racking up battle highs, all of a sudden nobody can ever get an engage on you because you just slam them with a rolling artillery preparation of limit breaks when they try, it's hysterical

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 28, 2017

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

By the way here's a screencap of the character my niece designed, some people asked me to post it.

Looks good to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I had one of those killing people > breaking ice Frontlines today. When it started, some people were saying "We can win if we focus objectives" so I said "Like focusing players instead of ice." The dude must've been typing at the same time because he finished with "Like focusing ice." Then the game proper started and it was the Shatter type that begins with all of the little ice lighting up immediately. I got showered with "Ayyyy lmao" as everyone rushed off to the ices. After about 30 seconds, it was all gone, so now what? Nobody had won obviously. Maelstrom was in 3rd place. People started giving out in chat. At some point about half way through though, everyone decided to start focusing people. I guess with no ice, you're sort've forced to. Sure enough, rack up a streak of 10 kills or so and suddenly you're ahead. We captured Flames at some point and actually held it for some time. Ended up with the underdog victory and I got my extra tomes out of it.

That's just my anecdotal evidence that focusing ice is stupid and dumb.

It's probably worth it to peel off players to get the huge ices that give like 200 to the leading team but only those.

People don't really seem to realise that when you've got most of a team on 15 to 20 second res timers, the odds of them getting to ice is low so you when you're killing players, you can probably go get the ices to so you can have your cake and eat it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So now that I'm actually at 70 on PLD. If I'm OTing should I bother saving Intervention for MT tankbusters in puggable content like Omega normal or should I just hit Sheltron for faster MP recharge? Should I always wait for FoF+Req to both go up before I start spamming Holy Spirit, even if my MP regens a bit early? It seems like a fairly straightforward class to play, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

e: well I'm an idiot and FoF only applies to physical damage and I only just realized this.

vOv fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 28, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Reiterpallasch posted:

yeah I've solo and group queued a ton on every dps at this point and blm is far and away the biggest murder machine

People can't catch you thanks to aetherial manipulation if you gently caress up positioning, their sustained damage is really good just fire/blizzard swapping in a chase, and their burst is super reliable for getting fast battle high/fever and running away with game. flare, swiftcast fire IV. flare, blizzard. fire IV, swiftcast fire IV. fire IV, blizzard. fire IV, swiftcast flare, etc. if you can't nab every last hit and then just straight up starting globaling healers once you have your damage boost you are bad at video game.

like red mage their entire schtick is delivering the damage of two spells in one GCD thanks to instants, but unlike RDM they aren't tied to jumping into melee to do their highest burst.

Minera fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 28, 2017

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I solo queue BLM in Frontlines and they do well. Enochian is easy to maintain because bliz1/fire1 are instant if they're off their opposite astra/umbral buff. Fire4 and blizz4 are both only 2.3 seconds now so they are very usable, and swfitcast no longer halves spell potency and had its cooldown cut in half. They can train pretty hard, and foul basically hits for half of a player's health. They still have sleep, and they can self heal with convert and teleport away with aetherial manipulation. Where they are lacking is in that it does take some prep to get started, they have no oGCD finisher, and their spells take so long to animate that someone else often snipes the kill. It's easy to do over 250k solo, though.

The thing is, though, BRD and MCH are so brain dead easy and broken. I played MCH today and I literally have no idea how to play MCH, and I got battle fever two games in a row. For some reason, they thought it was fair and balanced to give them ultimate range and CC. I think they will need to do something about the jobs, but they didn't in HW and they were both overpowered back then too, so that's just how it goes. I've seen MCHs do 400k in Frontlines easily, and it's basically because they can just always be attacking.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

At what level can I acess potd? Some endless grindy dungeon sounds really interesting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mike12345 posted:

At what level can I acess potd? Some endless grindy dungeon sounds really interesting.

Level 17 I think. You probably have to finish the level 17 MSQ (i.e., have gone through the three starter dungeons). It unlocks in Gridania

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_House_That_Death_Built is the sidequest that unlocks it. It'll only show up if you've done the Copperbell (level 17 MSQ) quest.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Ah excellent, tyvm. I'm 21 but still on lvl 14 MSQ.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

vOv posted:

So now that I'm actually at 70 on PLD. If I'm OTing should I bother saving Intervention for MT tankbusters in puggable content like Omega normal or should I just hit Sheltron for faster MP recharge? Should I always wait for FoF+Req to both go up before I start spamming Holy Spirit, even if my MP regens a bit early? It seems like a fairly straightforward class to play, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

e: well I'm an idiot and FoF only applies to physical damage and I only just realized this.

intervention is nice but not required for most tankbusters.

fwiw as offtank you don't sheltron for MP; your MP cycle is very exact and if you don't mess up your rotation then you will have exactly enough for req+ 5 HS every cycle. you sheltron because it gives you free shield swipes, which is free damage.

often you will have plenty of gauge as offtank to intervention busters and sheltron the aoe's, since gauge comes fast in sword oath. use your judgement otherwise.

also while i'm at it make sure you are popping req in the second half of your gcd so it buffs the last HS; i've seen a few people who think it's not possible to catch the fifth HS in the req timer but it's very doable in you remember not to slam req as soon as you possibly can.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm stealing your haircut.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

"You" is Ciaphas

please tell that tank under 2k dps they don't need to be in tank stance beyond the first 10 seconds of the fight to establish aggro.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

1400 dps means they're doing something very wrong. My first clear I did 2100, and that was with staying in shield oath the entire time and even dying once.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Jimbot posted:

Are there any fixes to the game crashing to a DirectX 11 error? I keep getting it during certain points during cutscenes. Googling the issue it seems to happen to a lot of people but I can't find any solutions to go with it. Anyone have this problem and successfully fix it? Rolling back drivers didn't do anything (on top of being a pain in the butt) and playing the game in DirectX 9 still gets me the problem.

Edit: Happened again, took a screenshot:

I had this problem, but my case was SO INCREDIBLY NICHE I AM CERTAIN IT HAS NO BEARING ON YOUR SITUATION.

Sometimes I'm playing this game on a work laptop with a workstation graphics card. (head of IT gets to make the rules, suckers. :unsmigghh:) And the most recent AMD OEM workstation graphics drivers have a problem that makes me eyebrows disappear. In order to not get this error, I am now running the game in a VM that has only the game and the gaming drivers installed.

But what I'm trying to say is update your drivers to the latest version and not what Microsoft has certified.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

mike12345 posted:

It's minor, but I feel I should tell you, PotD isn't endless. For you it'll have 50 floors in 5 groups of 10.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's probably worth it to peel off players to get the huge ices that give like 200 to the leading team but only those.

People don't really seem to realise that when you've got most of a team on 15 to 20 second res timers, the odds of them getting to ice is low so you when you're killing players, you can probably go get the ices to so you can have your cake and eat it.

Yeah big ice popping is the primo time to rack up kills when you're solo queue'd and your team isn't likely to be on the same page as you. I've watched people just sit there and let me kill them while they're trying to burn ice. If nothing else, they'll stop attacking the ice to try and kill me or run away.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I never touched them. I'm tech savvy enough but I don't get into crazy stuff like that. I don't even like overclocking. I'll check them in UEFI, just to be safe. If it's set to Auto and this problem still happens then I'm out of luck.

Do you have any programs that create an overlay with FFXIV installed? I was getting similar errors, uninstalled the XBOX app on Windows 10, and haven't had a single crash since.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Echoing what was said earlier: Pugilist/Monk has a pretty good early melee DPS leveling experience, in that you get a full combo and partial alt-combo by the time you hit your first dungeons, so it makes for a better experience than most other DPS classes who have barely anything (not to mention, the PGL class questline is one of the best questlines). It used to be even better as they used to have an early DoT as well (Touch of Death), but that was removed.

I recently tried to level up Rogue in order to try out Ninja but I just couldn't make it; even with the buff to exp and such, it was just so boring that I felt like I was wasting my time hitting two buttons. I went back to playing as my primary classes.

I wonder if there is a set of recommended classes for 'fast start-up/good early game' we can gather to help MMO veterans entering this game? As said before, for DPS I'd recommend Pugilist. What would be the best tank and healer? Probably Marauder and Arcanist/Scholar?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 28, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Echoing what was said earlier: Pugilist/Monk has a pretty good early melee DPS leveling experience, in that you get a full combo and partial alt-combo by the time you hit your first dungeons, so it makes for a better experience than most other DPS classes who have barely anything (not to mention, the PGL class questline is one of the best questlines). It used to be even better as they used to have an early DoT as well (Touch of Death), but that was removed.

I recently tried to level up Rogue in order to try out Ninja but I just couldn't make it; even with the buff to exp and such, it was just so boring that I felt like I was wasting my time hitting two buttons. I went back to playing as my primary classes.

I wonder if there is a set of recommended classes for 'fast start-up/good early game' we can gather to help MMO veterans entering this game? As said before, for DPS I'd recommend Pugilist. What would be the best tank and healer? Probably Marauder and Arcanist/Scholar?

If you're willing to deal with DPS queue to 30, Arcanist is probably the best because you get a Healer and a DPS class at 30 which share expeience so you can go DPS for solo stuff and healer for short-queue dungeoning.

If I had to recommend based off my own preferences I'd recommend Arcanist/SCH/SMN for RR then pick up DRK in HW to round yourself out and then start experimenting with other classes with armor bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In my experience, Pugilist/Monk is definitely the best-paced melee DPS job, as far as the leveling experience goes. You get a full combo early, along with an early introduction to the Greased Lightning mechanic. From there, you start getting your alternate combo steps and you have an actually pretty interesting rotation by 30. Rogue and Lancer could stand to be redesigned with that model in mind.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 28, 2017