Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Formula-E is some of the worst racing I have ever seen cursed on a racetrack. How the does anyone watch this poo poo even on meth?

Yeah it's hard to watch. Been sticking to mostly MotoGP these days, most everything else has been boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
WRC sure hasnt been boring. The new cars are a mindfuck

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't get WRC on my network unfortunately. Would be nice, my son loves rally too.

Just recently got a channel that shows MotoGP races live and then replays them a bunch so that's been nice :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If I was only ever going to play a single racing game on the PC from the last ten years, which one should I choose? And what would be the ideal controller to use with it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can't speak much to racing games but the DualShock 4 is probably the best controller if you want both solid analog stick control and a good D-pad for eg. emulation. Windows 10 has native drivers for it, too, so no faffing about with chinesium hackery like the DualShock 3 needed.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Everyone is cool except mormons.

Hey man I thought we were cool :cry:

Sadi posted:

The problem with mormons is it's really hard to get a good beer in Utah.

Yeah. Sorry about that. As I understand it there are some really good ones, but you have to go to a bar or state owned liquor store.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I love going to meijer at 1:59a and buying booze it fuckin rules

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I needed the floor space in my garage yesterday so I tried to lift my pillar drill onto the bench.
Then I tried jacking it up to the point I could grip it better.
Then I tried taking it apart to make it lighter but couldn't get a wrench or socket to fit any bolt.
Then I ended up rocking/wedging/levering/walking it onto the bench, then I had to stand on the bench to stand it up.

Then I googled the spec to figure out the bolt sizes and found it apparently weighs like 100kg, I'm only 68. Huh.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

ilkhan posted:

The other side was Hillary loving Clinton. It didn't matter what Trump said, 90% were voting against that [expletive of your choice] WAY more than voting for Dick who won.

If only the left had been nicer to the non-snowflake right!

"How is it possible Hillary Clinton isn't a criminal when I keep insisting she is" - Hannity viewers
"There's no evidence of any Trump-Russia collusion at all, fake news fake news" - Hannity viewers, also

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The far right: "mexicans are all rapists, build the wall, ban muslims, transgendered people are deviants, repeal healthcare for the poor, religious tolerance = oppression of christians, obama is a muslim"
The far left: "the far right are a bunch of racists and bigots"
The weeping middle: "Why are the leftists being so mean? If they keep using such divisive language, how can they ever hope to win the center?"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I needed the floor space in my garage yesterday so I tried to lift my pillar drill onto the bench.
Then I tried jacking it up to the point I could grip it better.
Then I tried taking it apart to make it lighter but couldn't get a wrench or socket to fit any bolt.
Then I ended up rocking/wedging/levering/walking it onto the bench, then I had to stand on the bench to stand it up.

Then I googled the spec to figure out the bolt sizes and found it apparently weighs like 100kg, I'm only 68. Huh.

Wish I were that strong at your age.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Formula D Japan is livestreaming today/tomorrow from Fuji... qualifying starts at 4pm JST

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It's difficult not calling out racists for being racist

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

spog posted:

Wish I were that strong at your age.

Kilos you darned whippersnapper :corsair:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Deadlift all the pillar drills.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm sure I could deadlift 100kg. At least once. The drills a stupid shape though, save it for crossfit.

Funny aside: my wife wasn't happy with the finish on the camping trailer so she wrapped it in duct tape while I was at work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Lifting stuff that's an awkward shape and covered in grease and pointy bits is a lot more awkward than a nice clean olympic bar.

I'm stronger than average, but it's still not fun when you have a lump of casting poking you in the spuds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

antiquepacbell posted:

The day the Democrats stop the everyone is a racist deplorable if they do not support us is the day they may get support. Most want access to healthcare. Hell, if you don't frame it as Obamacare they support what we have.

Problem is they pass a Swiss cheese bullshit bill and now that it is starting to fail, and it is slowly but surely, Dems rather than bringing ideas to the table are just obstructing. Hell, even the ideas do not get traction now, the next election is coming.

Look it easy to say that UHC, climate change, immigration and LGBT rights need to be acted upon but if the call to actions is that if you do not do what I say you are a fascist, denier, racist or homophobe people are rightfully going to be offended.

By the way, I believe that we do need to have UHC, be more inclusive and work on climate change but no way in hell I would of ever voted for Hillary.

The ACA Act was largely a Republican bill.

And the only reason its failing is because the GOP has actively sabotaged it at every turn to be able to say its failing and that it was a bad bill.

Also: LOL the Dems are obstructing, what?!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

And the only reason its failing is because the GOP has actively sabotaged it at every turn to be able to say its failing and that it was a bad bill.
American politics seems to love this stuff.

A: We should write a bill to feed the homeless.
B: To bears! *writes in crayon on margin*
A: The gently caress? No. We won't vote for it with that amendment.
B: THEIR PARTY BACKTRACKED ON THIS BILL TO FEED THE HOMELESS, AND ON TOP OF THAT, THEY WANT POOR FLUFFY ANIMALS TO STARVE!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

Lifting stuff that's an awkward shape and covered in grease and pointy bits is a lot more awkward than a nice clean olympic bar.

I'm stronger than average, but it's still not fun when you have a lump of casting poking you in the spuds.

I have a problem with my arm being just the right length to occasionally rub the bar on my cock and balls when deadlifting. I might have to start tucking.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dick
Balls
Boobs
Pussy

Too many assholes

:colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Leperflesh posted:

If I was only ever going to play a single racing game on the PC from the last ten years, which one should I choose? And what would be the ideal controller to use with it?

Flatout 2 is from 2006, but you should play it all the same. And the first game too, actually. Balls-out destruction derby banger racing. Tons of fun and cheap on Steam.

Carmageddon: Max Damage is highly recommend, too.

Dunno about serious racing games, maybe one of DiRT games?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Dunno about serious racing games, maybe one of DiRT games?

Rally, 1, 2, or 4 if you want simulation physics. 3 and Showdown are arcade physics.

For arcade racing games; I second Kozmos Flatout 2 rec, it's a blast especially in multiplayer. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (the... third? remake - 2010 version) is fun if you want the street racing arcade type of game. Shift 2 is alright for closed circuit arcade racing, the storyline is garbage but you don't play racing games for the story anyway. Burnout Paradise is still a great arcade racing game.

Dirt Rally is probably the best modern rally sim to pick up, Dirt 4 is newer but doesn't seem to be as well received. I think the gold standard for realistic simulation racers is still iRacing, there's a thread in games with more detail about the ideal controllers to use for that game. Be warned it operates on a subscription model, so be prepared to cough up your wallet if you get into it. Both of these games would benefit from a decent (ie $500) wheel, especially iRacing where you can be pitted against professionals who use it for training. On the cheaper end I picked up Xpand Rally Xtreme a while back when it was recommended and it's been a really solid rally sim as well. It probably plays much better with a wheel than a controller but it's a fairly old game so the peripheral support is pretty poor.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My political (and thus the best) views:

gently caress Trump, gently caress Clintons, let them both burn in hell for eternity in a lake of fire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ephphatha posted:

Rally, 1, 2, or 4 if you want simulation physics. 3 and Showdown are arcade physics.

For arcade racing games; I second Kozmos Flatout 2 rec, it's a blast especially in multiplayer. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (the... third? remake - 2010 version) is fun if you want the street racing arcade type of game. Shift 2 is alright for closed circuit arcade racing, the storyline is garbage but you don't play racing games for the story anyway. Burnout Paradise is still a great arcade racing game.

Dirt Rally is probably the best modern rally sim to pick up, Dirt 4 is newer but doesn't seem to be as well received. I think the gold standard for realistic simulation racers is still iRacing, there's a thread in games with more detail about the ideal controllers to use for that game. Be warned it operates on a subscription model, so be prepared to cough up your wallet if you get into it. Both of these games would benefit from a decent (ie $500) wheel, especially iRacing where you can be pitted against professionals who use it for training. On the cheaper end I picked up Xpand Rally Xtreme a while back when it was recommended and it's been a really solid rally sim as well. It probably plays much better with a wheel than a controller but it's a fairly old game so the peripheral support is pretty poor.

Dirt 3 was nice, I hate the Hoonigan crap. I just wanted to drive my Group B Quattro, fuckers! :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Evangelicals will support anyone that gets them closer to a theocracy.
:golfclap:

cursedshitbox posted:

You need my bricknose.
I want your bricknose but it being on the other side of the country is going to be a bitch. That said I've checked with our trucking company to see what they'd charge me to load it out there and drop it off...it isn't much. They shipped the 928 for waffle house breakfast.

CommieGIR posted:

We filed all the paperwork for my wife's Passport and are working on German work visa's right now.
Nice, we'd love to end up there in a couple years. I'm at the top of the list to take over for several sites over there but those guys are in it for the long run so until someone retires or we get a new site there aren't slots available. There are plenty of spots in UK, India and a couple in Australia that we have considered.

Leperflesh posted:

Depends if you want to compete online, if so iRacing otherwise Assetto Corsa. Or if you want the best rally game get Dirt Rally (NOT dirt 1/2/3/4/etc). Controller of choice is steering wheel with pedals bolted to a cheap stand while sitting in a spare car seat.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Leperflesh posted:

need for speed underground.

mad. tite.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cage posted:

mad. tite.

And that's the drat TruthTM

I miss that game, gotta see if I still have it somewhere.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bajaha posted:

And that's the drat TruthTM

I miss that game, gotta see if I still have it somewhere.
That was from 14 years ago, holy moly. I still remember the dumb civic I made with decals on the side and neons.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My favourite Need For Speed is Porsche 2000 (or Unleashed, depending on your locality).

I haven't really played any driving games in years. SpinTires was the last one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

My favourite Need For Speed is Porsche 2000 (or Unleashed, depending on your locality).

I haven't really played any driving games in years. SpinTires was the last one.

Oh yes, that was my favorite NFS game. The history career mode was absolutely amazing, starting out in 356s and working your way through history, to the 996 Turbo (shame the game came out a few years too early for the 997).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im trying to force myself through Blood Meridian but it's fuckin boring af

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cage posted:

mad. tite.

In the same vein I enjoyed 2015's Need for Speed: No Google For You.

For more serious racers that haven't been mentioned yet, Grid and Grid Autosport are pretty alright for circuit style stuff and Assetto Corsa is good for true sim racing though you probably need a wheel and pedal setup to get the most out of it (not that I have one). If you have Windows 10 you can get Forza Motorsport 6 though I don't so I haven't tried it. I also tried Project CARS and while it was alright it's also horribly generic and just didn't grab me in any way.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Controller of choice is steering wheel with pedals bolted to a cheap stand while sitting in a spare car seat.

Used this up in michigan at Gorester Daddy's place with Gran Turismo 5 and this poo poo is gospel.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

It also means I might be able to finish school now, since affordable schooling will be within reach.

Affordable schooling is a completely subjective term that depends on your chosen major, you have to look at school in the light of investment vs return. I've worked in academia for a little over a decade and this is the one concept people, especially those in my industry, are completely unaware of. Bad investments include liberal arts, gender studies, anything art/music/theater. Good investments are vocational programs, MBA and not a bachelor's in business, a welding cert is worth it's weight in gold for time/money investment vs return. 1 semester and $500-1000 for the cert program where the instructors/deans are close with people in the industry so it's essentially a feeder program for a $45 an hour union job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm a physics major

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CommieGIR posted:

I'm a boob physics major

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

I'm a boob

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We take boob physics quite seriously. Dead or Alive volleyball was amateur hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I'm a physics major

FYI Tours of CERN are frei~

+1 Euroland.

• Locked thread