Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you cast wall and a bsb at the same time, if the burst has dropped off, you should reapply wall ASAP.
Burst mode lasts 15 in-game seconds (from page 35 of http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf) while wall lasts 25 seconds (page 41). ASAP is a bit strong but reapplying wall in the coming turns should be on your mind.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Also how the hell do you tell when a Break or Wall has faded?
How I handle those:
-With native wall, I generally just cast it every time Tyro/Y'shtola has a gauge unless i'm trying to juggle multiple SBs. With RW wall, I cast it at certain points of the boss' HP; 100% and 50% is the easiest way to do that. I've also used 66% + 33% and 100% + 40%, depending on when I think I'll be taking the most damage during a fight.
-A break/breakdown lasts 15 seconds (page 10+11) so you can safely go two turns before reapplying. Full Break, other breakdown, other breakdown, repeat is what I did for a long time with rank 2 Full Break. With rank 3 Full Break I just alternate. With Setzer's BSB, I go between three breakdowns; Fujin covers MAG+RES so Setzer goes ATK+DEF, MAG, Full Break, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You start taking more damage. Seriously. It's loving stupid.

But you just learn to deal with it and cast it a little sooner than it drops off for. Having just got native wall a few weeks ago, I noticed that it's a bit of a pain to manage with an existing healer, but someone suggested a good gauge is whether or not your bursts have dropped off.

If you cast wall and a bsb at the same time, if the burst has dropped off, you should reapply wall ASAP. As for breaks....I don't know. That part gives me the hardest time trying to juggle 5+ different stackable breaks outside of MP where someone else can save my rear end, or where you're so laden up with buffs it practically doesn't matter anymore if one or two drops off.

Offline I have a good feel for when I should be recasting wall at this point.

Online between lag and the different game speed I have had an embarassing amount of disaster runs where shell, wall and breakdowns all run out pretty much simultaneously and the boss kills the entire team

Edit: stuff like the sephiroth timer they had actually helps a lot. I don't understand why they don't just give you a timer for things like wall at this point

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 26, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

NGDBSS posted:

You're probably just not doing damage quickly enough. I was blessed with a lot of magic buffs and Krile's BSB (AoE fire opener, fire aura, 2-hit fire CMD2) among other things but it looks like your tools are similarly useful. You've got Auron's BSB2, Vivi's BSB1 (master this), and Marach's BSB (master this as well, though it's not as high priority). Then mix and match to taste. Your current party is set up to sandbag, but except for Auron not really set up for AoE damage, so you'll need to fix that.

I probably won't be able to work them up before the event ends, but that's good to know.

quote:

• Stick with just one support character - Penelo or Fran. I'd tentatively suggest Penelo for now because she can keep spamming dances whereas Fran can only fire her AoE debuffs as SBs, and because she also has a medica to complement Larsa's.
  • What RW are you using? If you've got Manufacted Marvel, and cast that right off the bat, you can probably just use Vessel of Fate as your RW and call it a day on most offensive buffs.
  • And if you do use Vessel of Fate, Reks' BSB is mostly superfluous because you'll hit Auron's ATK softcap between BSB buffs/Vessel of Fate/CMD2's Dark Bargain effect.
  • Hone up Curaja. You've got the orbs for it to at least R2, or R3 if you really stretch your holy orbs.
  • If you're doing damage quickly enough and have both Protectga and Shellga up you probably won't need Wall. (I say probably because I brought it along myself but was taking so little that you can probably stand whatever they pelt you with in a quick fight.)
  • Auron should be doing monstrous amounts of damage rather than just Drawtaliating. You can still put Draw Fire on him, but it lasts for 25s and so you can treat it like any other medium-length buff. Stick Lifesiphon in his other slot instead of Retaliate, honing up a new copy if you have to. (I have four copies of that ability at R5 x2/R4 x2, and 2x Wrath R4 as well. Generating SB is absurdly good.)
  • There's no easy way to tell when most buffs/debuffs have faded. You can often find out the hard way, after an enemy's attack deals more damage or yours deals less, but in general you just want to get into a rhythm when using buffs to reestablish things by habit. For instance, most stat changers that are abilities last for 15s, while most that are instead SBs (with the infamous exception of Wakka's old Status Reels) last for 25s. Given that a hasted turn lasts around 4s between an ATB, casting times, and user delay; you'll want to reestablish an ability buff/debuff every three turns or so. If you have access to some form of quickcast on that character you can lengthen it to four turns, but in general it's better to be safe with overriding durations than to have them unexpectedly lapse for a second or two. (Things like Shell/Protect/Haste are exceptions that last longer with variable durations based on MND.) Similarly, you can recast ability-based buffs/debuffs (like Wall or Vessel of Fate's +ATK/MAG) every six turns or so.

I was using Fran for damage, since my only other options are Vayne and Yda, neither of which are optimal for this fight (and I think Fran does more damage than they do anyway). Cutting her might actually work though. I'd have to sub in Vayne I guess?

3 attempts and each one I used Wall RW. I'll have to try with Vivi's BSB next.

quote:

-A break/breakdown lasts 15 seconds (page 10+11) so you can safely go two turns before reapplying. Full Break, other breakdown, other breakdown, repeat is what I did for a long time with rank 2 Full Break. With rank 3 Full Break I just alternate. With Setzer's BSB, I go between three breakdowns; Fujin covers MAG+RES so Setzer goes ATK+DEF, MAG, Full Break, repeat.

That's actually a great rule of thumb! I'll have to break more often.

Thanks for the tips all! Hopefully my next attempt will go better.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I like to keep things simple with RW Wall. One use at start and then I use it when the boss is at half health of a bit more if I've been slow rolling him and saving SB gauges. The reasoning for this is if Wall falls off with the boss at ~80% it doesn't seem likely reapplying Wall will make me win that fight and it's probably correct to RW something else.

Sometimes it's possible to delay the first activation and adjust the second accordingly.

E: For that specific 3x3 Coeurl fight if you're having trouble with Wall duration you can RW Wall when you're about to hit the second wave, the first one shouldn't be that threatening.

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 26, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe I shouldn't have pubbed kreeper so hard to you goons...

In other news, I've gotten about 120 MDOs so far. Not too bad.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 26, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
you should have know goons were goony enough to jump through those hoops to farm poo poo for a mobile f2p game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

iamsosmrt posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have pubbed kreeper so hard to you goons...

In other news, I've gotten about 120 MDOs so far. Not too bad.

If it makes you feel better I haven't bothered to set it up on my PC (or phone) yet, let alone sign up for that "we'll email or text you with this info" thing on their site.

Now, if a jump start torment shows up with black crystals? Yeah, I'll give it a go so that I can stockpile for Omega Drive and Mug Bloodlust.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm just kidding. Pretty sure Reddit's where the bulk of the traffic is coming from. I'd rather it be goons than redditors.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Zurai posted:

Ripper Rush or whatever it's called in Global (Flurry McFlurryface, probably) is awful. Really, really terrible.

Really? I thought it got a buff into something useful. Or at least, better enough so that the upgraded 6* version wasn't that much of a boost. I read that so long ago though, so maybe I'm wrong?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Ramza question: Do I complement my existing +30% Attack boost (Rikku USB) with Shout? Or my %50 Crit Rate (Eiko BSB) with Chant? He's usually too busy supporting to do both.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How close are your attackers to the softcap? If they only hit it with shout, or don't hit it even with shout, then Shout is probably better. If they're a bunch of 500+ atk units then chant is probably better, especially if they're using BSBs too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nameless Pete posted:

Ramza question: Do I complement my existing +30% Attack boost (Rikku USB) with Shout? Or my %50 Crit Rate (Eiko BSB) with Chant? He's usually too busy supporting to do both.

Depends? If you're already near the attack softcap with the 30% boost (easy with a USB/CSB/OSB weapon with synergy) then Shout is pointless, especially since you already have haste. And if you're going to Cloud USB (or any crit-fixing like Eiko BSB as you suggest) then Chant is the way to go.

If you're far from attack softcap and/or want a hastega refresh then shout. Otherwise chant is the pretty clear winner given it (1) adds damage potential and (2) provides bubbles. Everyone likes bubbles!

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Pander posted:

Everyone likes bubbles!

People in multiplayer don't :(

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Hitting Optimize with no realm synergy leaves my DPS guys at or above 500 atk (Rikku a bit less at 479), so it looks like Chant it is. Plus I tend to use Snow, who's got a +30% boost on his second BSB command anyway. Having Shout and not even using it just feels so decadent, you know?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Quistis's Dress has replaced Zack's Gloves as my most duped draw at 5 copies. At least it's more generally useful than a fist weapon.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Ugh. My FF8 gear really sucks but neither of these banners are doing a whole lot for me. Is either of them better than the other or should I just sit on my mythril?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Ugh. My FF8 gear really sucks but neither of these banners are doing a whole lot for me. Is either of them better than the other or should I just sit on my mythril?

Banner 1 is excellent if you need physical stuff. Squall is Good. Seifer is Good.

Banner 2 is excellent if you need magical stuff. Fujin is the Best. Rinoa is Good. Edea is Good.

Unless you've got a lot of dupes on them, or are completely stuffed to the gills with ice, they're pretty good to pull on.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Why does Seifer's USB give attach dark but has a fire bonus on the weapon :negative:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

acumen posted:

Why does Seifer's USB give attach dark but has a fire bonus on the weapon :negative:

Because Seifer actually has no Fire moves other than Fire and Fira. DeNA logic!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I got Seifer's BSB on a 100 gem draw. :woop: Is there any suggested rotation for using it, or should I mostly just spam CMD1 with Lionheart equipped?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Why hello Squall. I never realized what a handsome physical DPS you were.

Didn't care too much about FF8 since I have nothing but a few old SSBs and Squall OSB. Dollar draw got Quistis BSB. Pulled 50 and went 3/11 all Squall. Already have his OSB, so I guess we are ice spellblades now baby.

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 28, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Banner 1 has the only FF8 Medica for 6+ months, so if you feel like you need one this is your best bet other than the odd Lucky Draw.

NGDBSS posted:

I got Seifer's BSB on a 100 gem draw. :woop: Is there any suggested rotation for using it, or should I mostly just spam CMD1 with Lionheart equipped?

Spam CMD1 unless you need to heal, pretty much. Once you've used it ~8 times just refresh it every 5 turns or so.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

I'd say the important consideration is if you're trying to prepare for magicite, in which case Banner 2 is pretty strong. The boss that's weak to ice gives a slight advantage to magical attackers over physical (he'll put up physical blink a couple times, which can even cause a SB to miss), so you'll probably want some good magic BSBs unless you have really strong ice physical options- banner 2 has two ice BSBs and a magic Ice chain SB. The boss that's weak to wind REALLY gives an advantage to magic over physical (it can repeatedly negate tens of thousands of HP of physical damage), and there aren't that many magic wind options. Fujin has one of like 4 wind magic BSBs (with Alphinaud, Strago, and the Emperor), so her BSB, Enwind, and OSB being on the banner is good for that. If you don't get those options, you'll probably end up needing to hone like a million copies of the 4 and 5* ninja wind magic (in which case Fujin is still a good option if you get her Enwind SSB).

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

acumen posted:

Because having a fire bonus on the sword that is active in all realms is going to make it super attractive to lots of people besides Seifer. And his USB is Dark/Fire.

Basically, its got a lot of additional value besides being given to Seifer.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

100-gem Dreamstage, which I didn't have but don't really need. I have the mythril to pull on Banner 1 and my FF8 SB's are basically garbage besides Quistis BSB. I don't know if I want to pull on this or not. I'm itchy to pull.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Because having a fire bonus on the sword that is active in all realms is going to make it super attractive to lots of people besides Seifer. And his USB is Dark/Fire.

Basically, its got a lot of additional value besides being given to Seifer.

Contrast to Gladio, who also gets a Fire+ sword, but on his Earth/Non OSB. It's better then no element bonus and has RS Earth, but it's pretty dissapointing.

But the sword is still a nice stat stick. Other then when your spellblades and sword-using monks are throwing out fire attacks, some people who will really like it (i.e. people with sword access and fire SBs) include Gordon, Scott, Bartz, Galud (dived), Locke, Steiner, Auron, Balthier, Yda, Delita and Lann.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
3/11

Seifer usb...
Seifer lmr...

Sephiroths coat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sesq posted:

People in multiplayer don't :(

As wonderful and kick rear end as Asylum is, the lack of SB gain when her bubble negates damage can reaaaaaally suck. I hope to god I get Rosa's USB because Wrath+Ace Striker is going to let her churn it out to a ridiculous extent while not stopping everyone from getting more SB usage from damage being taken. Instant Cast + Curaga heal + Magic Blink + HP 2000 auto-heal? Why yes, I would like to just drop an even bigger deuce on magic-heavy boss fights than I already do thanks to Vaan. :v:

e: Then again, I have Yuna's but Y'shtola's better tbh.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bilperkins2 posted:

100-gem Dreamstage, which I didn't have but don't really need. I have the mythril to pull on Banner 1 and my FF8 SB's are basically garbage besides Quistis BSB. I don't know if I want to pull on this or not. I'm itchy to pull.

It's about as good as FF8 banners get, really; the only debate is if you want to pull for physical (Banner 1) or magic (Banner 2). Either one will do you solid, though notably this banner has two dupes for you now.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

As wonderful and kick rear end as Asylum is, the lack of SB gain when her bubble negates damage can reaaaaaally suck. I hope to god I get Rosa's USB because Wrath+Ace Striker is going to let her churn it out to a ridiculous extent while not stopping everyone from getting more SB usage from damage being taken. Instant Cast + Curaga heal + Magic Blink + HP 2000 auto-heal? Why yes, I would like to just drop an even bigger deuce on magic-heavy boss fights than I already do thanks to Vaan. :v:

e: Then again, I have Yuna's but Y'shtola's better tbh.

Well, to be fair the magic blink will ALSO prevent you from gaining SB gauge. Personally, I have found that against hard content, the HP bubble tends not to negate more than a single attack anyway (as in it might fully absorb one attack, but only partially absorb the next), so a blink effect and the bubble tend to be roughly comparable for SB-stunting.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

pichupal posted:

Contrast to Gladio, who also gets a Fire+ sword, but on his Earth/Non OSB. It's better then no element bonus and has RS Earth, but it's pretty dissapointing.

I could be misremembering but that sword in XV was actually a sword that dealt fire attacks, but for gameplay reasons he's an Earth Knight in FFRK. So it kind of makes sense because its what the sword does in the original game.

Still, characters don't have to keep using their relics once they master the SB, so having it be worthwhile to toss on somebody else makes them a lot nicer.

Edit: Also Gladio is Samurai 5 and will have access to the fire Samurai skills coming up, not that he particularly needs them, but he can do the retaliate thing

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, to be fair the magic blink will ALSO prevent you from gaining SB gauge. Personally, I have found that against hard content, the HP bubble tends not to negate more than a single attack anyway (as in it might fully absorb one attack, but only partially absorb the next), so a blink effect and the bubble tend to be roughly comparable for SB-stunting.

If you'd need to constantly be churning medicas on a multi-turn basis anyway (A+ content, harder MP fights) then a bubble will soak one solid hefty hit, just like a party-wide blink of your choice.

If you have more than enough mitigation to manage yourself and are coasting by, the bubble will stay up maybe a smidge too long and you'll have gauge problems.

tl;dr: it's only an issue for SB generation if you don't actually need it. Unfortunately, it's also attached to effects that are much more frequently helpful even on easier content (medicas, Chant, etc). Blinks block exactly the same number of attacks no matter how strong they are, so while they can be tricked by weaker attacks, they also don't interfere as much if you're taking smaller amounts of damage.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 28, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Got kinda salty because on the FF Type-0 banner all i got was Nine's record materia and Deuce's SSB so I got 50 mythril and decided to try again. 2 of Ace's SSB and 1 of his BSB. That's a little more like it.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I could be misremembering but that sword in XV was actually a sword that dealt fire attacks, but for gameplay reasons he's an Earth Knight in FFRK. So it kind of makes sense because its what the sword does in the original game.

Still, characters don't have to keep using their relics once they master the SB, so having it be worthwhile to toss on somebody else makes them a lot nicer.

Edit: Also Gladio is Samurai 5 and will have access to the fire Samurai skills coming up, not that he particularly needs them, but he can do the retaliate thing

Huh, his OSB is on the Blade of Brennaere? It's one of the few weapons I remember because I stumbled on it by accident at the beginning and it was my best weapon for him for a while. Forgot about the new Fire Samurai skills, and Fire Machinist too come to think of it. I mainly included the fire SB users, but that brings the total amount of people who would like that sword pretty high.

fake edit: Looked it up and that seems to be the case. Nice nod to the original game then, although I'd still prefer an earth+ sword.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

pichupal posted:

Huh, his OSB is on the Blade of Brennaere? It's one of the few weapons I remember because I stumbled on it by accident at the beginning and it was my best weapon for him for a while. Forgot about the new Fire Samurai skills, and Fire Machinist too come to think of it. I mainly included the fire SB users, but that brings the total amount of people who would like that sword pretty high.

fake edit: Looked it up and that seems to be the case. Nice nod to the original game then, although I'd still prefer an earth+ sword.

Yeah, I remember randomly going to a shop and seeing it for sale with way higher stats than what I currently had on him and it lasted me for quite a while until I replaced it with the Genji Blade (and then the postgame relic weapons). Kind of funny thats the sword they chose as his OSB.

Off the top of my head, the only other sword using earth (sb type) character is Ingus, isn't it?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Off the top of my head, the only other sword using earth (sb type) character is Ingus, isn't it?

I think Leo's BSB has an earth component, and Bartz gets a BSB3 with Enearth. Probably more I'm not remembering either.

e: oh, Guy can use swords too and does earth stuff. And Meliadoul.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

I think Leo's BSB has an earth component, and Bartz gets a BSB3 with Enearth. Probably more I'm not remembering either.

e: oh, Guy can use swords too and does earth stuff. And Meliadoul.

Guy's relics tend to lean more towards axes. You're right on Meliadoul being the next Earth Knight other than Gladio, though. Leo and Dorgann also both have Earth elements to their BSBs, I guess since they spend so much time in the ground. :v:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
not pulling on FF8 banner since I need to build mythril back up. meanwhile in JP:

TERROR BALTIMORE USB + LMR!!!

kinda want to pull again for OSB or BSB2. aaaaa

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I really wanna pull for FF8 stuff, but uh, I have like 6 bursts and one USB for the realm now. Maybe I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The only bursts I have for FF8 are for Edea and Fujin. Granted they are amazing mage bursts, but I got nothing for phys dudes. Future japan players, did the phys bsb/usbs for ff8 come back during the next fest?

• Locked thread