Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

WaltherFeng posted:

So I underestimated Judge Ghis because I remember there was a Crystal before the fight (there was not), so I had to dip into my storage of Hi-Potions and Ethers. Used Reflectga Mote on him and he practically killed himself.

FFIX would be fixed by having a Job sy- no wait. The game is irredeemable

FFIX has a job system though? You just can't change them after the character is introduced, and not before even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alxprit posted:

No FFT game is immune to this, though.

it's also the worst part of those games.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
FFIX was the best of the PS1 run, and not even by a small margin.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Calaveron posted:

FFIX has a job system though? You just can't change them after the character is introduced, and not before even

That's what I trying to get across. I guess the only way to fix the game is to add subjobs.

I have problems with FFIX. Mainly the battles and the Trance. (A lot of people like how it activates during important story beats but I feel like that was underutilized and it should last for a lot longer even by thematic reasons)

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 28, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Noctone posted:

I disagree pretty strongly and 9 is one of my least favorites. Most bad? More the worst in the franchise?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

I disagree pretty strongly and 9 is one of my least favorites. Most bad? More the worst in the franchise?

"least great"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

its weird that all the viera dress like that because they didn't in FFTA and they looked cool in that game

the sniper outfit is one of my favorites in the game

i think i'm gonna replay FFTA2 now, it's so fun playing dress up in those games, top tier character design work there

plus, y'know, Assassin/Geomancer Viera being able to instakill anything in the game (iirc)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

It's well above the worst in the franchise.

Unlike XV, IX is a complete game.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Barudak posted:

I disagree pretty strongly and 9 is one of my least favorites.

As is your right, friend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My wife is playing FF9 for the first time right now, being able to speed up the 15 second delay between random encounters starting and you getting to input anything looks like it makes a massive difference

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

precision posted:

i think i'm gonna replay FFTA2 now, it's so fun playing dress up in those games, top tier character design work there

plus, y'know, Assassin/Geomancer Viera being able to instakill anything in the game (iirc)

Well you're at least a bit mistaken, because Viera can't be Geomancers, only Gria can. Assassins in general are quite capable of mucking up lots of encounters, especially if paired with Green Magic (either their own or a teammate's) since you can use that to cast Tranq and increase your accuracy with insta-kills.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Final Fantasy 9 is the best game in the series, easily, and you're all insane.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FactsAreUseless posted:

Noctone posted:

:hai:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah 9's decent but I like at least 6, 7 and 10 better than it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
FF9 is the greatest thing ever wrought by human hands.

Or at least its soundtrack is. Game ain't half bad either.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
VII may or may not have been better in relation to its time, but it's held up incredibly bad imo. I recently replayed my way through IX, VIII and VII (in that order) and the latter is the only one that felt incredibly outdated and clunky.

VI is still legit, though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's the Final Fantasy sickness.

You have it too, don't you? A fine Final Fantasy, to you

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah 9's decent but I like at least 6, 7 and 10 better than it.

4 too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've started 4 like six times but never actually finished it :/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I posit that FF4 is the perfect old style JRPG. You don't have to grind, it's not too easy, it's never obtuse where you have to go next, almost every character is well defined both in and out of combat, etc.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Both Sakaguchi and an admin said it, so it's now SA law.

(Even though the best game is actually 5).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've got a soft spot for 4 as well. Up until Cecil becomes a Paladin that game is a masterclass in interweaving story and gameplay, though sadly it falls off from that aspect other than plot battles and the occasional cutscene spell. Still makes up for it with a solid difficulty curve, great music, and a solid plot. Plus it's so god drat goofy, and Cid blowing himself up might be my favorite moment in the series because, god drat dude.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

I posit that FF4 is the perfect old style JRPG. You don't have to grind, it's not too easy, it's never obtuse where you have to go next, almost every character is well defined both in and out of combat, etc.

I should probably make more of an effort to finish it since it's the only mainline FF game I'm likely to beat (i.e. it's not a NES game or an mmo) and still haven't.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the best final fantasy is mystic quest

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Until 7 Mystic Quest was the only FF game to get an official UK release, I thought it was trash at a time when I would literally play any JRPG no matter how bad and I doubt it has improved with age.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mystic Quest was fun in the way really simple phone games are now. It also had super good music

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FFIX has flaws but they're almost all because the game exceeds the limitations of the hardware. Otherwise in terms of design it's probably the best of at the single player games in the series, by a fair margin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mage Masher is the best worst translation ever

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

precision posted:

Mage Masher is the best worst translation ever

isn't it the right translation

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Not that it's the game's fault, but wasn't IX the one with that completely-useless-but-still-full-price strategy guide?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think I've got that fucker around here somewhere. "In this room, you'll find a devious puzzle. For the solution, go to our website (that will be gone immediately following the game's release)!" :homebrew:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that was 9. Funny thing was it was (deliberately) the easiest game to find all the optional stuff in outside of a couple of things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wakka is maybe the worst party member ever, personality wise

Even Zell was better

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

I have no idea why we thought that. Sabin just says it and we have no idea why he thinks it. This entire thing is not even backstory, it's a weird blurb of text that is forgotten immediately.

The newer translation does this a bit better, with Sabin calling out Vargas for killing his father, Vargas said he did it to become super power, then Sabin beats him in one attack. It's incredibly likely that Vargas just sucker puched Duncan and Sabin saw him drop him off the mountain. That was what I always figured, since there's no body, so Sabin and Vargas had to both be convinced that Duncan had died and a seemingly fatal fall would accomplish that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

I've got a soft spot for 4 as well. Up until Cecil becomes a Paladin that game is a masterclass in interweaving story and gameplay, though sadly it falls off from that aspect other than plot battles and the occasional cutscene spell. Still makes up for it with a solid difficulty curve, great music, and a solid plot. Plus it's so god drat goofy, and Cid blowing himself up might be my favorite moment in the series because, god drat dude.

:yeah:

4 has always been one of my favorites. A lot of the later ones did things better but 4 still has a special place for me.

precision posted:

Wakka is maybe the worst party member ever, personality wise

Even Zell was better

Wakka has one of the best character arcs tho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

precision posted:

I think I'm gonna replay the FFX remaster again, what are the big things to remember to break the game (early steals, rare drops, that kind of thing)?

Not much breaking, but there's a lot of stuff you can miss and it pays to backtrack or look up to make sure you get to save some pain later. Things like:
* Valefor's much better second overdrive (after you complete all activities in Besaid village the first time, instead of going to the beach go to the shopkeeper and talk to him and follow the breadcrumb) so you don't have to fight Dark Valefor first which is pretty much endgame territory.
* Getting all the Destruction Spheres as you go through the temples (especially Besaid & Macalania which will be protected by Dark Aeons) the first time.
* Making sure you successfully learn the Jecht Shot during the QTE to make Blitzball a bit easier before you get your team together.
* Grabbing the Al Bhed Primers 19-22 which are exclusive and can't be picked up again later without making a new game.
* Getting Steal on Kimahri (actually just run him down Rikku's path) early because his solo fight is one of the best ways to get the L3 unlock spheres.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Not that it's the game's fault, but wasn't IX the one with that completely-useless-but-still-full-price strategy guide?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think I've got that fucker around here somewhere. "In this room, you'll find a devious puzzle. For the solution, go to our website (that will be gone immediately following the game's release)!" :homebrew:

Yeah, that was the one where they were trying to push their PlayOnline website like crazy. I think I might still have a copy of that lovely guide. It's hilarious.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Harrow posted:

That's definitely more Guild Wars 1 than 2. GW2 is fully MMO, with wide-open areas where you and random players do big open-world events.

GW1 traces its lineage back to Phantasy Star Online, really, because they're the same sort of structure. And, of course, Destiny and The Division, though those are significantly less compelling than GW1 or PSO.

That said, I really hope the era of the single-player Final Fantasy doesn't end. I like pseudo-MMOs just fine, but I also wish the series would have a "normal" JRPG again. I know that'll never happen, not with Final Fantasy. No matter how big of a success Persona 5 was, for example, it didn't sell "make a profit on a Final Fantasy budget" numbers.

Honestly, there really shouldn't be another MMO Final Fantasy again for a long time, because, well, XIV is fine and they can just keep making updates to that. The MMO genre came a long way since FFXI, but it's kind of at the point where they have this poo poo figured out and I don't see it evolving much in the future. Not unless VR becomes a big thing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mega64 posted:

Have you played the DS remake? The difficulty is considerably higher in the last half of the game and they added a few new twists to the bosses to where it's really interesting to play through again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really liked the DS remake of 4. It's like a version of Final Fantasy that hung out with an SMT game for a while and really fell in love with making buffs super important.