Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

the best part of new PoE news or changes is people panicking about how the game is ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I'm not one to complain about GGG balance decisions but this batch of changes just confuses me; Power/Frenzy charges look a lot less appealing to incorporate into a build unless it's going all-in on charges and can leverage every advantage they can provide. The ailment changes just straight-up suck though, the whole concept of HP thresholds determining ailment strength makes them proportionally less useful the higher the target's HP is, to a point where in the current meta of balance you can pretty much consider all bosses ailment immune. But they removed almost all forms of ailment immunity not long ago, so basically what they've done is remove outright immunities but replaced them with a system that's exactly as restrictive, but with the extra kick in the balls that comes with the actual ailment effect being scaled by damage...

:psyboom:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So the short form is that power charges are significantly worse for attackers, frenzy charges are crap for spellcasters, and no one gives a poo poo about endurance charges?

Not sure I care for these changes.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Either GGG suck at explaining these changes or they suck at math. There is no way shock or chill will be more viable against bosses with this change.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
If I can hit for half health, why bother with shock?

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
They could theoretically buff the chill and shock effectiveness nodes sky-high. But that'd require better design sense than people who did the charges change have.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mercrom posted:

Either GGG suck at explaining these changes or they suck at math. There is no way shock or chill will be more viable against bosses with this change.

They say it makes it more viable against bosses to use things that apply to shocked or chilled enemies, not that shock or chill themselves are useful against bosses. On that note if they remove chill immunity from endgame bosses then with this change Frostbreath builds are most likely Shaper viable :confuoot:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wow they really must have hosed up with those changes if even reddit is rioting right now

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think they are dumb but you should never base your opinion on reddit whining

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think these changes dont affect me since I never play casters in these games anyway

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
This kind of thing could work if they put in a bunch of stuff to boost your ability to shock/chill. Like, stunning bosses is a thing due to all the stun boosting nodes and equipment. If chill and shock can be similarly boosted then it's fine.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
These charge and ailment changes all seem very dumb and bad

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

frajaq posted:

if even reddit is rioting

I thought that was the norm

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I have an announcement to make: I like these changes and I think GGG are doing a Good Job.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Would be great to hear any actual points why these changes aren't absolute bullshit. I've yet to hear any.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I like the idea of giving charges more of an identity rather than making them things everyone wants to maintain and keep at max etc, but the frenzy thing is a little much imo. At least they didn't make it phys damage only.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

psy.Che posted:

Would be great to hear any actual points why these changes aren't absolute bullshit. I've yet to hear any.

Sure, op. They used to be too good, but now, they are less good.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Reddit has provided me with some very good morning reading - so far I approve.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
I was gonna go crit frostbolt totems to start 3.0.

Dunno what everyone is complaining about. :smug:

(It really is hilarious that they announced a unique and then made the unique pointless before we ever got to even use the thing, RIP Tinkerskin)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So ed Trickster are a Nerf then, they have the 5% dot damage from the frenzy node but lost the generic damage on it

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

All of this really makes me feel like they need more than a week to sort things out before 3.0

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Why would limiting charges to certain "identities" be a good thing for the game? The great thing about PoE is the very diversity of builds they're reducing with this change.

Also, chill certainly wasn't too good and neither was shock, except when coming from VLT/Vinktars. Now, they're mostly useless. Higher boss hp means that you're never gonna chill or shock a relevant target anyway.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

psy.Che posted:

Why would limiting charges to certain "identities" be a good thing for the game? The great thing about PoE is the very diversity of builds they're reducing with this change.

Also, chill certainly wasn't too good and neither was shock, except when coming from VLT/Vinktars. Now, they're mostly useless.

Chill was stupidly good though. There's a reason every cycloner in the world used arctic armour when the main buff from arctic armour wasnt even functioning. I think the chill/shock changes are good. You can still apply a good shock/chill from ground states, and you can now apply the status even with weak attacks, meaning gimmicks that rely on those states are more viable. This also means that for longer boss fights you can progressively build up a stronger shock.

psy.Che posted:

Higher boss hp means that you're never gonna chill or shock a relevant target anyway.

This was already the case. It's basically impossible to shock high hp bosses in 2.6 without vinktars or vaal lightning trap.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
They weren't really a positive for diversity, they were too often mandatory. I can't even count the number of characters I ended up running HoI + CoH + AM on for example.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Are any of the tier 3 talisman bosses rarer than others or am I just unlucky that there's still one I haven't seen in legacy league?

Going by the talismans in my stash, I've killed 33 and I'm still missing one for my legacy portal.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Greetings.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

TheRat posted:

Chill was stupidly good though. There's a reason every cycloner in the world used arctic armour when the main buff from arctic armour wasnt even functioning. I think the chill/shock changes are good. You can still apply a good shock/chill from ground states, and you can now apply the status even with weak attacks, meaning gimmicks that rely on those states are more viable. This also means that for longer boss fights you can progressively build up a stronger shock.

What is the issue with a thing being good that's available to anyone? Most builds weren't even running an arctic armor, let alone an Aquamarine Flask.
The only real way to apply shock to any meaningful target is either VLT or Vinktars - same as before, what did they even fix here? And the 5% threshholds mean that building up shock on bosses isn't even a thing even if we assume that shock stacks with itself as you do. Of course, the idea itself is neat and I could see it working if they made a bunch of other changes enabling you to better apply chill/shock if you focus on it, but I very much doubt that these changes are gonna be made in the remaining week.

TheRat posted:

This was already the case. It's basically impossible to shock high hp bosses in 2.6 without vinktars or vaal lightning trap.

Yes, and that's a bad thing. And they made it worse.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

psy.Che posted:

Yes, and that's a bad thing. And they made it worse.

No, they made it better.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 28, 2017

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
I hope you're right about that. Changes for charges are still bullshit. And I'm still hyped for 3.0.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shock/chill changes are fine.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If something is good for everyone it's kinda bad

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I would complain about Chaos/Regal shards if I couldn't just filter them out, but seriously is there really any reason for these to exist? Exalt/Mirror shards at least makes some amount of sense.

I guess it means getting Chaos while leveling will be more consistent than it is now but that's about it.

Engineer Orb just seems kinda weird addition to me. Strongboxes don't feel like such large part of the game that they need quality, given only a small minority of them are ever worth crafting on (beyond maybe Trans/Aug/Alting). I guess we'll see if this changes though.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Most common question when making a new build:
"So how do I get power and frenzy charges? "

Most common answer:
"Oh, I can't? Guess I'll try something else then."

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

psy.Che posted:

I hope you're right about that. Changes for charges are still bullshit. And I'm still hyped for 3.0.

The charge changes are better than the chill/shock changes though

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 28, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Arzachel posted:

The charge changes are better than the chill/shock changes though

The charge changes will probably be reverted.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

The charge changes will probably be reverted.

Why would you say that?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm not really opposed to the power/frenzy charge changes because for the most part I never abused frenzies on my spellcasters. Any build I ran that was frenzy charge heavy was always attack based and almost but not all of my Assassin builds were spellcasters. I don't know if I'm Doing It Wrong or not.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TheRat posted:

Why would you say that?

They don't feel very thought out and there is a big ol' reddit backlash about it. The tinkerskin thing is especially weird.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

They don't feel very thought out and there is a big ol' reddit backlash about it. The tinkerskin thing is especially weird.

There are attack-based trap builds, frenzy charges do more than just give more damage (in fact they didnt give more damage at all until fairly recently) and the unique chest does more than give frenzy charges. I think they feel fairly well thought out, and you can be sure GGG were well prepared for the entitled shitfest that is reddit.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I've just realised how well the new Chance To Bleed works with Doomfletch Prism with its huge added phys. Forget the rest of the gem, this is the first one with flat added phys damage to attacks right?

• Locked thread