Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

He went 1-2 in the draft. I hope he has a broken Standard deck and ends up winning the Pro Tour.

e: holy poo poo Pikula got 41%, so he'd have gotten in with the old rules.

no i mean snubbed for hall of fame
cool my first i can't read page snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

I don't doubt at all that Utter-Leyton and Juza deserved it, but I would have loved to see Pikula get in too. He's done loads for the game, and I remember being excited about his results and what decks he was playing well before I knew anything about being decent at mtg. 41% not getting there though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
this blind player is better than magic deserves

e: holy poo poo at the japanese players playing Enter the Dungeon

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 28, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

thanks for reminding me to look up one of my favorite MtG images:

From left to right: Legitimate newscaster, SNL parody newscaster, "I miss my fedora".

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I'm 26-6 in tournament practice, 6-1 in 2-man queues, and 4-0 at my LGS with this lovely Enigma Drake deck :stare:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Kidding aside, do we actually think he's a neo-nazi or just a total goober who doesn't understand the implications of what he was saying? A friend of mine likes to mildly stick up for TWoo when our group of friends mocks him and I'm never quite sure how hard I should be coming down on his defense. Emphasis on mildly.

Man I wanna make a joke about TWoo next leveling it to complaining about how "Germany never lost ww1" or the "Jewish bolshevik conspiracy" but I feel like no one is going to get why those are jokes.

twoo is just an idiot who says stuff thoughtlessly but if you think im gonna let that stop me from making fun of him for accidentally saying pro-nazi stuff think again

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheDemon posted:

I'm 26-6 in tournament practice, 6-1 in 2-man queues, and 4-0 at my LGS with this lovely Enigma Drake deck :stare:
Deck list? If it's really that mediocre, you might just be really good at playing it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

PMush Perfect posted:

Deck list? If it's really that mediocre, you might just be really good at playing it.

It's that deck that I tried to help that guy who was down on competitive mtg a dozen pages back with:
http://deck.tk/8QE69EGI

Like, what makes it mediocre is that I didn't even mean to build it. I just was like "okay here's how I'd make that idea better" and then I tried it and it blew the prowess deck I was working on out of the water and just kept going.

The only thing to note is that the Hieroglyphic Illuminations are on the way out, I just haven't decided what to replace them with.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

day 1 metagame.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Who'd have thought that paying 4 and sacing a land to shock face would be the new tech that puts RDW over the top?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Retromancer posted:

Who'd have thought that paying 4 and sacing a land to shock face would be the new tech that puts RDW over the top?

And play 4 colorless lands that deals 1!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I haven't been following standard - what the hell is "Ramunap Red"?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Jenx posted:

Red Deck Wins with Ramunap Ruins and Sunscorched Desert. Lots of cards that make creatures unable to block, and tries to go in low before the opposing deck gets off the ground.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jenx posted:

Ramunap Ruins appears to be WotC's attempt to make an actually balanced Valakut. Surprise, it's still really good.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Oh, so it's mono red then. That's cool. I thought it was something to do with Ramunap Exavator or something.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

PMush Perfect posted:

Ramunap Ruins appears to be WotC's attempt to make an actually balanced Valakut. Surprise, it's still really good.
Valakut? There's Barbarian Ring and Blighted Gorge, and then maybe Shivan Gorge and Keldon Megaliths or Keldon Necropolis before Valakut. It's a long lineage, and Ring saw tons of play in RDW back in the day.

I wonder if Balduvian Trading Post was an attempt at a fixed desert, on that note. What an odd picture/name/ability combination.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

YggdrasilTM posted:

day 1 metagame.

Not one mill deck.

Glad I sold my foil Fraying Sanity and Startled Awake last week.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Isn't that just a list of the decks people signed up with? We should probably see how the decks actually perform before we make any declarations about the meta... Also list doesn't add up to 100%, there could still be a mill deck out there.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Gustav posted:

Isn't that just a list of the decks people signed up with? We should probably see how the decks actually perform before we make any declarations about the meta... Also list doesn't add up to 100%, there could still be a mill deck out there.

we'll have a clearer picture when the Day 2 data is released, all this pretty much says is that RDW was the most popular deck going in.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Hah, so mono red is currently 5 out of the 8 top decks for day 2

edit: lol, chandra is pushing $30.00 now

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 28, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gustav posted:

There isn't

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

TheDemon posted:

You're welcome

I mean thank you.

bigperm fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 28, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Amaz made day 2 with 4-1 in standard after going 0-3 in draft.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I know Death's Shadow was just reprinted in MM2017, but when do you think it is going to start spiking again? Or will it just be Thoughtseize creeping up until its $50 again? Outside of the mana base and Snap, Grixis DS is a pretty cheap deck, and I don't see how the slated "best deck in the format" can stay that way.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

So, I know Death's Shadow was just reprinted in MM2017, but when do you think it is going to start spiking again? Or will it just be Thoughtseize creeping up until its $50 again? Outside of the mana base and Snap, Grixis DS is a pretty cheap deck, and I don't see how the slated "best deck in the format" can stay that way.

It's around 1000$. It's not the 1500$ of Abzan, but it's not "a pretty cheap deck".

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Thinking about it, the bad writing and bad dialogue in the story makes so much more sense if you assume the whole thing is a homebrew D&D campaign played by a bunch of thirteen year olds. I remember when my playgroup was young and terrible, and that kind of thing was not at all uncommon. Hell, Nicol Bolas is a perfect example of an overpowered Dungeon Master author avatar character.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Retromancer posted:

also abrade

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Shortest Path posted:

Thinking about it, the bad writing and bad dialogue in the story makes so much more sense if you assume the whole thing is a homebrew D&D campaign played by a bunch of thirteen year olds. I remember when my playgroup was young and terrible, and that kind of thing was not at all uncommon. Hell, Nicol Bolas is a perfect example of an overpowered Dungeon Master author avatar character.

Nicole Bolas originally showed up in Legends, a set that was literally made by a bunch of Richard Garfield's friends top-down designing cards from their D&D campaigns.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Reality smasher is bugged on modo. Watched a stream yesterday where someone tried to path it, discarded for the trigger, and nothing happened when it resolved. Watching a stream just now and someone tried to declaration in stone a smasher, discarded for trigger and... nothing. Guess it's something to do with targeted spells that would normally exile it? It worked fine before.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sarcastro posted:

He looks like he's running for President of the Condo Board at Del Boca Vista.

Bob Sacamano Sr.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

day 1 metagame.

And here I was hoping rdw would be a cheap entry to standard while I rebuilt my collection

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

LordAbaddon posted:

And here I was hoping rdw would be a cheap entry to standard while I rebuilt my collection

It was $50 yesterday (minus the Chandra's).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Reality smasher is bugged on modo. Watched a stream yesterday where someone tried to path it, discarded for the trigger, and nothing happened when it resolved. Watching a stream just now and someone tried to declaration in stone a smasher, discarded for trigger and... nothing. Guess it's something to do with targeted spells that would normally exile it? It worked fine before.

Stop giving MTGO money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tainen posted:

It was $50 yesterday (minus the Chandra's).

That is a pretty huge minus there.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Red doesn't get good cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Shortest Path posted:

Red doesn't get good cards.

I feel like this might be the weakest RDW deck ever to do well but I am sure everyone is happy its back.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sickening posted:

I feel like this might be the weakest RDW deck ever to do well but I am sure everyone is happy its back.

Standard has been depowering for like a decade? :shrug:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

I think it's only weak in comparison because it's lacking a stellar one-drop, but aside from that it's a strong deck.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
RDW is so boring to watch if all it is playing against is other RDW or zombies and pummeler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Stop giving MTGO money.

Start reading posts more closely