Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

track day bro! posted:

I'll watch formula E when it isn't spec everything and they don't have to jump into a second car to finish the race. Or is it no longer a spec series yet?

Spec aero, motor, battery and chassis, everything else about the drivetrain is open and I believe motors are going to become open soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Spec aero, motor, battery and chassis, everything else about the drivetrain is open and I believe motors are going to become open soon.

What exactly is that rest of the drivetrain? Gearbox?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

track day bro! posted:

Yeah, different gearboxes. Next season they're saying no car switching.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

track day bro! posted:

I looked it up and I actually got this slightly wrong, the motor is open for development as well. So the 3 big components open to development are the motor, the gearbox (so some teams have a normal 6-speed gearbox, some teams only have 1) and rear suspension. The video they put out for season 2 explaining those changes termed it as everything behind the battery is open.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The first 10 stages of WRC Rally Finland have gone quite well for the home teams (Finland & Toyota):

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/livecenter/page/4175----.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA going back to Mid-Ohio and ditching COTA: https://t.co/vE6c3kLlGe

Not a huge surprise cause Honda is moving into DPi, but still good news.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah Dieselgate effectively took 6-8 P1-H's with it. Such is the price of being duplicitious shitheels.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Hopefully it just means Toyota and Peugeot figure out a new series to stick on top of it all and draw in some more oddballs two years later only to have it die again. Welcome to prototypes

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Aw poo poo, COTA is my nearest track and we were planning on hitting the IMSA weekend next year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

IMSA going back to Mid-Ohio and ditching COTA: https://t.co/vE6c3kLlGe

Not a huge surprise cause Honda is moving into DPi, but still good news.

Good, COTA's poo poo.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WEC Statement posted:

However, the ACO and the FIA, guardians of the existence and quality of the FIA World Endurance championship, have immediately set to work to put forward to everyone involved in endurance racing the outline of the 2018 season – a season which promises to be quite exceptional thanks to the introduction of new innovations

lol, theyve been watching too many comicbook movies. GUARDIANS OF THE EXISTENCE of series that we inevitably gently caress up and run into the ground.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

DoLittle posted:

The first 10 stages of WRC Rally Finland have gone quite well for the home teams (Finland & Toyota):

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/livecenter/page/4175----.html

That is great. Would love for Lappi to get his first win. Ogier has crashed out on one of the first stages, and Neuville is far behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5uzwpLJrdM

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That the ACO unironically called themselves the loving guardians of the WEC is hilarious.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The ACO got the job because they run Le Mans, no more, no less, and any FIA sanctioned endurance series has to have Le Mans.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Humbug posted:

That is great. Would love for Lappi to get his first win. Ogier has crashed out on one of the first stages, and Neuville is far behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5uzwpLJrdM

Today Lappi has road position advantage over Latvala. That will even out tomorrow, which may give the edge to Latvala. Not to mention possibility of team orders. Considering where Neuville is and what happened to Ogier, a win here would put Latvala back in to the hunt for the championship.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah Dieselgate effectively took 6-8 P1-H's with it. Such is the price of being duplicitious shitheels.

Yeah, this is a day after the German transport minister announced a forced recall on 22,000 Cayennes, making it the 2nd time the Cayenne has ended a Porsche LMP program.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

njsykora posted:

This is incorrect. For one, the cars have no appreciable aero, the wings are for show.

Chassis and batteries are spec, motor/gearbox/control electronics/software is all free. The series hasn't been completely spec since season 1.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Red Bull TV has free coverage of WRC rallies, including the ongoing Neste Rally Finland: https://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1Q84GRYX11W11/fia-world-rally-championship

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

JDC-Miller gonna run a 2nd Oreca in Proto next year:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/142677-jdc-miller-expanding-to-two-cars-for-2018

Not sure what VFR/PR1 are planning, but looks to be a pretty drat big field next year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I wondered what IMSA dropped or if Mid-Ohio was an additional event. Good to see it back on the schedule.

mactheknife posted:

Aw poo poo, COTA is my nearest track and we were planning on hitting the IMSA weekend next year.

You'll still have the frontstretch at Laguna Seca to remind you of COTA.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

Yeah, different gearboxes. Next season they're saying no car switching.

Season after.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Nooo. Latvala in trouble. Also lol at Hanninen crushing all the usual top drivers. Flying Finns indeed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TWENTY FOUR HOURS OF SPA starts in about 20 minutes and SRO are doing a shitload of onboards and streams alongside the usual good poo poo from NISMO.

Main race livestream from NISMO with onboards
NISMO garage cam
McLaren #58 onboard
Mercedes #85 onboard
BMW #98 onboard
Porsche #117 onboard

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Thanks for the heads up forgot about Spa!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For the record, the Bentley GT3s sound amazing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The entire GT3 class makes lovely noises

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Someone's car disintegrated

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Crashes at Radillon scare the poo poo out of me, like it fires the car right back into the track

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pretty fun Supercars stuff today. I've been down on the series but after a pretty dire 2015 season, the last two years have seen some very good on-track action imo. Also as far as ominously good young drivers go, I like Scotty Mac a shitload more than Whincup.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Norns posted:

The entire GT3 class makes lovely noises

Sad the SLS AMG is slowly disappearing, it has the most gorgeous sounding low speed noise (as in, in pitlanes). Aston Martin's wins the at-speed sound championship though.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Humbug posted:

Nooo. Latvala in trouble. Also lol at Hanninen crushing all the usual top drivers. Flying Finns indeed.

Apparently ECU failed without warning. I believe they had new engines for this rally with Ilmor developed software. I wonder if they use Ilmor ECUs or Ilmor just writes/tunes the software. TMG still makes the mechanical parts of the engine, I think.

Shame for Latvala. Winning here seemed almost certain and it would have given him a chance to compete for the championship. Now it is highly unlikely. On the other hand it is likely that Lappi will win a WRC rally with his 4th attempt. It think no one else has done that at least since early eighties, depending on how you count them.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 30, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Why does the Pirelli World Challenge kick so much rear end?

Seriously. I got to get an up close look at a Lambo today, and got to witness the Italians running one of the Ferrari team cheering on their team in Spa today.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why does the Pirelli World Challenge kick so much rear end?

Except for GTS race starts. I'm just glad they DQ'ed the car that caused the crash at the start of the race

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

That is a lot of smoke :ohdear:

EDIT: Of course a Ferrari is involved.

EDIT2: And another Ferrari (55) in the wall off of Eau Rouge, though clearly a Merc's fault

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2017

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This race owns.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

That is a lot of smoke :ohdear:

EDIT: Of course a Ferrari is involved.

EDIT2: And another Ferrari (55) in the wall off of Eau Rouge, though clearly a Merc's fault

Ferrari starts off with negative points, still Ferrari's fault. Wouldn't have happened if the Ferrari wasn't there obviously

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

already 1/3 of the cars gone.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
the CotA thing is neato, I remember saying that track was gonna flop when they built it and getting put on blast here, it's nice to be vindicated

that track is rear end

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The one thing they ruined about IMSA at COTA was getting rid of the IMSA/WEC doubleheader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
COTA is a garbage track and I wouldn't be surprised to see it file bankruptcy within the next few years

• Locked thread