Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

FilthyImp posted:

I wouldnt mind Eddie Dean being Nuyorican. Hes from the 70s right?

West Side Story subplot confirmed. The Sharks are the servants of the Crimson King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Phanatic posted:

It didn't fly when that book was released. It's bad. King is generally not good at writing black people. They're either a flat-out Magical Negro or some Stepin Fetchit shuck-and-jive caricature.

Mike Hanlon is the only notable counterexample I can think of.

It's actually referred to explicitly by Eddie; he mentions to Roland that she's acting more like someone tring to do a caricature of Butterfly McQueen and trying way too hard.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

polishthunder84 posted:

I'm almost at the end of "the drawing of the three" and hoo boy a character like Detta Walker would NOT fly in today's climate.

Did you ever hear King do the voice?

Yikes.

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did you ever hear King do the voice?

Yikes.

I have not! Was this in an audiobook or something? Jesus christ.

I just finished Drawing of the Three. I burned through it in like, four days, and ordered books 3 and 4 off of Amazon. I haven't read any King books since my early 20's, and this one really held my attention. Hopefully The Wastelands does the same thing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

polishthunder84 posted:

I just finished Drawing of the Three. I burned through it in like, four days, and ordered books 3 and 4 off of Amazon. I haven't read any King books since my early 20's, and this one really held my attention. Hopefully The Wastelands does the same thing.

He did the audiobooks for the first three books in the series. You can usually find them on cassette on ebay.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

polishthunder84 posted:

For what its worth The Wastelands was my favorite of the series, with the most bonkers stuff.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Eddie and Detta don't look like they'll be in this one because the trailers just focus on Jake and Roland

and when this one flops the others won't get made, so we will never know what they were planning for Eddie and Detta

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Dark Tower books are one of the few things of King's I've never read and, based on feedback, still have little interest in. Are there books in the series that can stand alone or are they all cliffhangers and designed to be read together? If the former, what's one I could read where it doesn't need need the others?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BiggerBoat posted:

The Dark Tower books are one of the few things of King's I've never read and, based on feedback, still have little interest in. Are there books in the series that can stand alone or are they all cliffhangers and designed to be read together? If the former, what's one I could read where it doesn't need need the others?
The best book in my opinion is a standalone, Wizard and Glass. I also liked Wind through the keyhole which is also a standalone. I read up to five and gave up on the main books.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the dark tower is a continues story. wizard and glass is mostly a flashback story that stands on its own, but starts directly with the previous book's cliffhanger. Wind through the keyhole is sort of a side story that just takes place somewhere in the series.
I'd just read the first one; it's short and was mostly written with no solid plan of a series. The un-revised version is still my favorite of the DT books.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Attitude Indicator posted:

the dark tower is mostly one continues story. wizard and glass is mostly a flashback story that stands on its own, but starts directly with the previous book's cliffhanger. Wind through the keyhole is sort of a side story, that just takes place somewhere in the series.
I'd just read the first one; it's short and was mostly written with no solid plan of a series. The un-revised version is still my favorite of the DT books.

i agree with this. It should set you up for the utter disappointment that will unfortunately be the movie.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

i agree with this. It should set you up for the utter disappointment that will unfortunately be the movie.

the movie seems to be doing its own thing, so no reading required. besides, who needs a set up to be disappointed by a bad movie?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Attitude Indicator posted:

the movie seems to be doing its own thing, so no reading required. besides, who needs a set up to be disappointed by a bad movie?

If its bad i want everyone to suffer with me? :shrug:

it will be bad

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the original DT1 The Gunslinger is actual literature.

It's short and was written when SK was on point.

e: I also loved DT2/3/4 with some major objections.

After that he was too van-damaged to write right

(Wind Through the Keyhole and Little Sisters of Eluria are okay)

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 27, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Little Sisters was written before the van, so it's not surprising that it's somewhere between okay and good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gunslinger works because it's essentially one of his short stories. He can write "Roland woke up 1000 years later" and it works, doesnt need any crazy explanation.

syscall girl posted:

e: I also loved DT2/3/4 with some major objections.
2 suffers from the same problem that Walking Dead (comics) has -- turns out crippling a main character just makes them do even more superhuman things to make up for it, and makes you more likely to resort to asspulls to make the story fit.

I'd add DT5 to the list of acceptable-to-good books. Ita kind of hard to ask to look past Dr Doombots on robohorses and killer Harry Potter grenandes, Ka of 9 and 19 and probably 99 too for some reason, also all things The Chap Commala-Come-Cum-Cummy-Commala The Chap OH HE HONNNNNNGRYYYYY, but Rolande's Ye Olde Magnificent 5 is good fun. There's a whole process where Roland investigates and observes and while it's a slow burn (kind of the way Wizard and Glass is), the final confrontation is absolutely worth it. Plus Andy, Messenger Robot and Other Functions is kind of a dick.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I will agree with the vote for DT4 Wizard and Glass.

As mentioned, it caps off the cliffhanger from the previous book, and that's not great; but the story Roland tells, the central backstory of the whole thing, is actually an amazingly wrenching tale of his past when he basically succumbed to hubris and paid for it dearly. A rather archetypal story but it's definitely one of my favorites. If there's a guide to help you just read the story Roland tells and skip the rest that would be best.

I'm afraid to say much more. The DT series is probably something all SK fans should read, because some of us can forgive the warts and take it as a whole. Not everyone can or will.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. Faustus posted:

because some of us can forgive the warts and take it as a whole. Not everyone can or will.
Some of those warts metastasize into giant pulsating boils that wither and die, leaving a puckered sphincter in their place.

Re: GAN in Song of Suzanna and The Dark Tower : hey maybe SK IS Gan/God and his songs are in his writings and he is like the rose a -- oh? just huffing his own farts huh well

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I will agree with the vote for DT4 Wizard and Glass.

As mentioned, it caps off the cliffhanger from the previous book, and that's not great; but the story Roland tells, the central backstory of the whole thing, is actually an amazingly wrenching tale of his past when he basically succumbed to hubris and paid for it dearly. A rather archetypal story but it's definitely one of my favorites. If there's a guide to help you just read the story Roland tells and skip the rest that would be best.

I'm afraid to say much more. The DT series is probably something all SK fans should read, because some of us can forgive the warts and take it as a whole. Not everyone can or will.

Part 2 & 3 is the flashback story, clearly separated from 1 & 4, which is "present" day.
I don't know if i would read a book that way.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't start reading the books until they were all already released

I imagine I would have been Upset if I had read The Wastelands when it first came out and had to wait 6 years for the cliffhanger

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I imagine I would have been Upset if I had read The Wastelands when it first came out and had to wait 6 years for the cliffhanger

Blaine the pain train stuck in my head for years

gently caress that noise

e: basically ended up with "what rhymes with orange? mister smart computer?"

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 27, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't know if this was posted, but new IT trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAUTdjf9rko

Lookin' good.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It felt about like it feels waiting for a new book in the Game of thrones series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know if this was posted, but new IT trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAUTdjf9rko

Lookin' good.
Looks ok. The cinematography and locations look on-point, and the kid actors seem way more into their roles than the TV version, but the trailer is really grating. It was constant jump scares on predictable beats, and the "you'll float too" chant must have seemed way cooler in the editing room than it plays live. I'm not saying the movie will be like the trailer, just that the trailer irritated me. Then again the September release date isn't encouraging... Well here's hoping. I want it to be good, no pun intended.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

mind the walrus posted:

Looks ok. The cinematography and locations look on-point, and the kid actors seem way more into their roles than the TV version, but the trailer is really grating. It was constant jump scares on predictable beats, and the "you'll float too" chant must have seemed way cooler in the editing room than it plays live. I'm not saying the movie will be like the trailer, just that the trailer irritated me. Then again the September release date isn't encouraging... Well here's hoping. I want it to be good, no pun intended.

I watched it with the sound off and it's a lot less scary. I really don't like being emotionally manipulated by music and sound effects. (cue the violins, with sobbing)

Seriously though, if a movie has to resort to repeated jump scares to be scary, the screenplay is probably lacking something. I did like the scene where she turns around and Pennywise is hovering right over her shoulder.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pheeets posted:

I watched it with the sound off and it's a lot less scary.

Music/sounds set the mood for movies. No movie is scary with the sound off.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RCarr posted:

This. They screened JAWS early w/o the music and it bombed. Imagine Halloween without the music. Or Psycho.

Also, I gleaned a lot more from that trailer than just jump scares. Looked pretty atmospheric to me.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 28, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

I watched it with the sound off and it's a lot less scary. I really don't like being emotionally manipulated by music and sound effects. (cue the violins, with sobbing)

Seriously though, if a movie has to resort to repeated jump scares to be scary, the screenplay is probably lacking something. I did like the scene where she turns around and Pennywise is hovering right over her shoulder.

I'm thinking the new IT movie has some pretty big shoes to fill (clown joke haha) after Stranger Things series 1 and their second coming out a little before Halloween.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm slowly getting acclimated to the new Pennywise

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I assume everyone knows there's an IT thread but just in case

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815219

I'm not sure what anyone's problem is with what we've been shown so far. I think it looks incredible and tend to assume that the more hyper elements we've been shown are for marketing purposes and doubt the whole movie will be like that. A good half of what we've seen in the trailers looks entirely atmospheric and relatively creepy and subdued. Looks like they're going with multiple forms for the creature.

I can already glean that this will be better than the TV series at least. The spider will look better for one thing and I bet we get Big Bird.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 28, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I assume everyone knows there's an IT thread but just in case

I'm not sure what anyone's problem is with what we've been shown so far. I think it looks incredible and tend to assume that the more hyper elements we've been shown are for marketing purposes and doubt the whole movie will be like that. A good half of what we've seen in the trailers looks entirely atmospheric and relatively creepy and subdued. Looks like they're going with multiple forms for the creature.

I can already glean that this will be better than the TV series at least. The spider will look better for one thing and I bet we get Big Bird.

They're not getting Tim Curry back so going in a different direction with Pennywise's appearance is great. I wish there was time enough in a film to show him in all of his guises.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 28, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

syscall girl posted:

They're not getting Tim Curry back so going in a different direction with Pennywise's appearance is great. I wish there was time enough in a film to show him in all of his guises.

e: and that's a link to the UCP but I assume there's a CD thread about IT that i might check out? idk, CD can be kinda annoying

Agreed. They can't do Curry again anymore than they could do Nicholson Joker again. I think with 2 films they'll have plenty of time to show his different forms. A lot of people argue that he's always Bozo/Ronal McDonald but it's simply not the case. Movie looks like they're doing the mummy and werewolf version(s) at least.

Whoops on my link. Wrong C&P'd tab. Here u go. Fixed in my post too

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I know CGI and practical effects have improved dramatically since the IT mini-series but the spider bit was not good on the show.

In the book it was much more in depth, there was the turtle of enormous girth and they basically battled on some kind of extra-dimensional plane or something, rather than just having Beverly lobbing silver bullets with her slingshot at a stupid looking arachnid with glowy guts to indicate it was an alien as if that wasn't extremely obvious.

I think Richie (beep beep) did most of the fighting there with his wits. In the book.

Like my favorite Ninja Turtle he was very sarcastic and won that fight. Or, kept them from losing anyway.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

RCarr posted:

Oh I know. I used to work in post-production, so I know all the tricks - that's probably why I'm so jaded now. I guess I just really dislike jump scares when they're overused.

The trailer looks awesome though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure what anyone's problem is with what we've been shown so far. I think it looks incredible and tend to assume that the more hyper elements we've been shown are for marketing purposes and doubt the whole movie will be like that.
I explained myself pretty well I think--including specifying I'm just talking about the trailer--but I take umbrage with the dismissal that anything people don't like with the trailer is marketing-based.

Yes, sometimes marketing does a movie a complete disservice. I think Fight Club remains one of the top examples. That said context is everything-- it is a lower-budget horror movie being released in September with several scenes shown of a character turning around and seeing Pennywise jump out at them, and/or Pennywise abruptly running towards them. The benefit of the doubt has not been shattered, but it has been bent, and I don't think it's naysaying to point that out. I want the movie to be good, but reservations are healthy.

oldpainless posted:

I'm slowly getting acclimated to the new Pennywise
The new Pennywise design and acting is great. Literally the only thing I have concern about is the screenplay, based on what we've seen.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I explained myself pretty well I think--including specifying I'm just talking about the trailer--but I take umbrage with the dismissal that anything people don't like with the trailer is marketing-based.

My bad. I wasn't trying to be dismissive or insulting.

I just noticed a lot of atmospheric shots (red balloons, establishing shots, arial pans, dolly tracking, good lighting and framing) amidst all the high intensity so I feel fairly safe thinking the film will be heavy on mood, suspense and pacing. I think it almost has to be done that way and I doubt they're going for the full- on Rob Zombie approach.

It appears to be pretty character driven (with Derry as a main character), evocative of Stand By Me from the looks of it, and only like the last third or quarter of the trailer was all that ramped up.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've decided to re-read It since the movie is coming out and I feel like everything in the trailer looks really good. I do worry about the screenplay - they're extracting 1/3-1/2 of a book and hoping to make it a satisfying standalone - but I am definitely excited for it and it looks 80x better than the Dark Tower

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

I've decided to re-read It since the movie is coming out and I feel like everything in the trailer looks really good. I do worry about the screenplay - they're extracting 1/3-1/2 of a book and hoping to make it a satisfying standalone - but I am definitely excited for it and it looks 80x better than the Dark Tower

I blame the whole thing on Stranger Things. Stephen King tweeted how much he liked the show, and felt that ya know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I hope the IT movie is good but there's no way they can cram all the material I want to see that was absent from the mini-series. The flashbacks, DIck Hallorann no loving way they can show all of that good stuff.

It's going to built on the Stranger Things model, it'll have Mike with his scrapbook and then a jump-scare from that but it won't tell the story of his dad, won't tell the story of the 20's era shoot-up with Pennywise sniping from the roof. Ah well, movies can't be the books.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You guys know IT is two movies, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys know IT is two movies, right?

I did not. :ohdear:

I knew DT is one movie plus a possible sequel or tv series but thought the new IT was a one-off.