Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Is it even remotely possible that Cruz deposes McConnell as Majority Leader? I mean, I can see McConnell losing the position, but given how every single one of his coworkers hates him, I have a hard time seeing Ted Cruz getting the position.

EDIT: Dog Tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I asked my friend who lives in AZ to high five McCain if he ever sees him but he'll have to have his wife hold up his arm I guess?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is it even remotely possible that Cruz deposes McConnell as Majority Leader? I mean, I can see McConnell losing the position, but given how every single one of his coworkers hates him, I have a hard time seeing Ted Cruz getting the position.

That's what I'm finding hilarious. Cruz is clearly setting himself up to go for Majority Leader but he's already one of the least liked people in both houses of Congress.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Push El Burrito posted:

I asked my friend who lives in AZ to high five McCain if he ever sees him but he'll have to have his wife hold up his arm I guess?

I imagine it will be easier to do when he's lying in state.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Donald Duck actually served in the military though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TARDISman posted:

That's what I'm finding hilarious. Cruz is clearly setting himself up to go for Majority Leader but he's already one of the least liked people in both houses of Congress.

Cruz would get what? 10 votes? Or less...

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
When Trump lashes out because he can't handle the embarrassment of this not passing will he fire Sessions or declare war on North Korea?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DreamShipWrecked posted:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/890837365891018752

Ranks up there with the "GOP women against suffrage" folks.

The right's just getting more and more open about their disdain for democracy.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Trump is apparently speaking at 1. i'm sure it will be very measured.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fire Jeff Sessions at North Korea

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Every article I've read has kind of put this in terms of finality, meaning that Congress is done trying to gently caress with healthcare. Is that true?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Lord of Hats posted:

Cruz is probably the most hated man in the senate. The only situation where I could see him becoming Maj leader is if McConnell resigned and literally no other Republican wanted the job. Or maybe if his only opponent was Rand Paul.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Reik posted:

When Trump lashes out because he can't handle the embarrassment of this not passing will he fire Sessions or declare war on North Korea?

Appoint Scaramucci chief of staff.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

farraday posted:

Trump can't bring himself to fire people in person, he doesn't have the stones for it and can't handle confrontation.

But you know what he could do? Go in front of a camera, point directly at the camera, and say "Jeff Sessions, you're fired. Reince Priebus, you're fired" etc

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't know if it's already been posted, but the Washington Post had a story about the Murkowski miscalculation.

This Murkowski bit is perhaps my favorite part of this whole mess. It proves that not only is the white house full of amateurs, it's full of really, really stupid amateurs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pakled posted:

Cruz is probably the most hated man in the senate. The only situation where I could see him becoming Maj leader is if McConnell resigned and literally no other Republican wanted the job. Or maybe if his only opponent was Rand Paul.

Franken's quote is best.

"I like Ted Cruz a lot more than most of my colleagues. And I hate Ted Cruz."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

uugh, i finally found something directly addressing if reconciliation instructions expire at the end of the fiscal year and it's not good:

quote:

4. The last budget resolution agreed to in Congress (creating reconciliation instructions) applied to FY 2010. We’re now in FY 2011. Are they still valid instructions?

Yep. Although the news reporting on this issue has been uneven, parliamentary sources tell me that Senate parliamentarians have over the past 20 years tried to err on the side of “making the budget act work.” In other words, when this issue has arisen in the past, Senate parliamentarians have advised that instructions remain viable until the end of the Congress (rather than the end of the fiscal year). (Although the precedent is apparently not written down, that would be the advice of the parliamentarian today.)

This is important, because it means that Congressional Democrats could start the process today for writing a reconciliation bill that addresses health care reform (rather than waiting for Congress to pass a FY2011 budget resolution— something unlikely to occur until spring). Just an aside— if Congress already has a set of operative instructions, that might reduce Democrats’ incentives to go to the effort to adopt a budget resolution for FY2011.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/reconciliation-in-the-senate/

(this is someone i found a reference to as an expert in the procedure)

i have not found anything that says if adopting a new budget resolution blows up the old one or not, but there was a quote from the author of the above in a different article that suggested it does, but wasn't definitive

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Every article I've read has kind of put this in terms of finality, meaning that Congress is done trying to gently caress with healthcare. Is that true?

Probably unless McCain quits or until the midterms.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

evilweasel posted:

After reading through the laws creating reconciliation (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/2/chapter-17A/subchapter-I), it is not clear to me that there is a definite, unarguable, hard deadline on when a reconciliation bill expires. The fiscal year begins on October 1st, which is where the September 30 deadline comes from, and I believe the assumption is once the fiscal year is over the budget resolution for that year (which allows reconciliation) expires.

However there is nothing in the law that specifically says that. You can't amend the budget resolution once the year is over (section 635) but nothing says the budget resolution is gone. Someething in the Senate rules may apply, but I'm beginning to suspect that the reason nobody is really sure when this expires is that there's nothing that directly says when it does or doesn't expire.

I think everyone has always made the assumption it ends at the end of the fiscal year, but I suspect there has never been a reason to test the issue before because when has craziness like this ever occurred.
The thing I keep coming back to in my head is what happens if a bill is passed constituonally but in violation of internal senate procedures.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

seiferguy posted:

Yes and no. They CAN bring it back, but the question becomes "how?" Skinny repeal was their last go at things and their hail mary play. What can they do from here?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Covok posted:

Yes and no. They CAN bring it back, but the question becomes "how?" Skinny repeal was their last go at things and their hail mary play. What can they do from here?

Rebrand Obamacare as the Republican Health Care Act and call it their idea.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think the answer is no and that the majority leader is elected by the majority caucus rather than the Senate at large. Ryan has such a weak hold on the speakership because the speaker is voted on by the whole House - meaning the minority plus a few dissident members of the majority can refuse to elect the majority's choice as speaker or (potentially) depose the speaker. I think you can't do that in the Senate and only a majority of Republican senators could depose McConnell, Democrats don't get a say in it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

seiferguy posted:

It perplexes the mind why they don't pass a law called "Trump Care" where all it does is remove the medical device tax.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

evilweasel posted:

uugh, i finally found something directly addressing if reconciliation instructions expire at the end of the fiscal year and it's not good:

i have not found anything that says if adopting a new budget resolution blows up the old one or not, but there was a quote from the author of the above in a different article that suggested it does, but wasn't definitive

So they try and take care of all the poo poo they need to do before the end September and then take another shot at it? I mean that suggests it's operable until he next congress which is after the midterms.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

seiferguy posted:

They should have done this the second it was obvious the ACA was going to pass, just started calling it Romneycare.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

rofl

nobody likes cruz

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/890794106439385088

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

I still don't see how they can get the votes for anything at this point, no matter how long they drag the process out. McCain technically shot this thing down for reasons that were more procedural than substantive, but addressing his concerns means that McConnell/Ryan would have to play out this insane strategy to push a trash bill into conference again. I just don't know where they can go from here even given infinite time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

seiferguy posted:

The safest thing to say at this point is that the easiest and least disruptive to the Senate avenue has now been closed. It's never out of the question that they'll come up with some new rules lawyering or bill addendum so awful it attracts votes but it just failed the straightest up-or-down vote it will ever get and that's big.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Covok posted:

It perplexes the mind why they don't pass a law called "Trump Care" where all it does is remove the medical device tax.

Because "moderates" don't really care about the PPACA they really want tax cuts for the wealthy, but the true believers actually see it as a matter of principle.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The stumbling block here is not procedural or legal in any sense. It's political. The rules of the Senate are not what stopped that train, at least for now, and would not be what stops it again if they try it again. This nation and her people are what stopped this bill.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/890801518856650752

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My one disappointment over last night is that the final vote didn't happen earlier when it was still my birthday.

Does anyone have those tweets saved where people joke "Despite their message of (dumb thing Trump's staff said in their feuds), they were unable to secure the votes for a repeal," specifically the one about Scaramucci talking about Steve Bannon's autofellatio?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

seiferguy posted:

They won't be really done loving over health care until the Dems control one of the houses.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

farraday posted:

Quick, somebody park a fire truck on the front lawn of the White House. Maybe he'll wander away from the podium towards it before saying anything too stupid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

farraday posted:

Maybe he's going to announce that he's tired of winning.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
What the gently caress can he possibly have to say?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dr Christmas posted:

My one disappointment over last night is that the final vote didn't happen earlier when it was still my birthday.
happened on mine, nerd

i win

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Perhaps the brain surgery McCain had relieved some pressure that was making him more horrible. One of the symptoms of this cancer in my uncle was he turned into a complete monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

haveblue posted:

The safest thing to say at this point is that the easiest and least disruptive to the Senate avenue has now been closed. It's never out of the question that they'll come up with some new rules lawyering or bill addendum so awful it attracts votes but it just failed the straightest up-or-down vote it will ever get and that's big.
So what you're saying is that they need the help of the Log Cabin Republicans to save themselves now.

• Locked thread