Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

straight up brolic posted:

He's better at other poo poo. .94PPP when he's dramatically better in other areas. Better as a bailout play for him than ISO though!

Isn't ISO being the worst option almost a universal truth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

He's better at other poo poo. .94PPP when he's dramatically better in other areas. Better as a bailout play for him than ISO though!

I mean, that's not really how anything works. You don't just decide what you want to do at the beginning of every basketball play. Things have to develop, matchups happen.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

The only time I'm ok with it (in a strategical sense) is when there isn't enough time on the shot clock to run an actual play and several of its options.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

IcePhoenix posted:

Unless you are Will Barton, Isaiah Thomas, Kyrie, Chris Paul, Lillard, Lou Williams, Durant, or one of the Curry Brothers yeah pretty much. There's a couple other good players too.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, that's not really how anything works. You don't just decide what you want to do at the beginning of every basketball play. Things have to develop, matchups happen.
The Rockets literally only post people up on 2% of their basketball plays, while the Grizzlies post up on 12% of their plays. You can definitely decide what you want to do before a game even starts. Regardless of matchups. It's a lovely play.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Chris Paul getting a ring would be the only good part of a Rockets championship this season for me. Chandler got one with Dallas, West got his with GSW, and now just Paul needs one and then the core of the Crescent City Connection-era Hornets will all have the rings they so-well deserve. I want his baby face to smile for basketball reasons just one last time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You guys talking about Post ups are missing a big point:

Detroit didn't have a starting PG. This is what happens. Teams don't start the play saying "We're going to pass the ball around for a while and then dump it to Drummond in the post". They try to find better offense first. Post-ups have value because you can create some (usually mediocre or below) offense even if the defense has not been beaten at all. If defense is covering a P&R properly you have to go to something else.

This is a smart board, but people think running plays in the NBA is like a JRPG where you have a selection like

Catch-and-Shoot Open 3
Pick and Roll
>Post-Up
ISO
Item
Run Away

but really most of the time plays like Post ups (unless there is a perceived mismatch) or ISO are run when other, better plays aren't working. Frequently lots of Post play is the result of bad offense, not the cause of bad offense.

The Rockets literally only post people up on 2% of their basketball plays, while the Grizzlies post up on 12% of their plays. You can definitely decide what you want to do before a game even starts. Regardless of matchups. It's a lovely play.

Rockets have players that are a lot better at finding offense than the Grizzlies are.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Mike Conley is pretty loving good creator, James Harden is better. Outside of those players neither team had a secondary creator for the majority of the season. (until Lou Will). Beverley is an average distributor.

It's a deliberate strategy. To act like every post up is a gently caress up is to play the fool.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

but really most of the time plays like ISO are run when Carmelo Anthony is on your team.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes but there's some selective sample bias happening here since isos are rarely called and almost all the ones you see are after a busted play or against the shoot clock or a ballhandler hotdogging for reasons known only to him. If you could just measure the efficiency on called isos they would probably look like a better option, but probably not by much but who knows.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

No, they are good if you have the footwork, the balance, and the shotmaking ability to draw a double or help and then have the vision, passing ability, and recognition to make a good pass to another player that can shoot and/or has good recognition of when to cut and can finish as well as making a pass to the next open man who can do the same. Oh, and you also need players and coaches willing to have productive movement off-ball while the post-up is going on in an effort to create even better openings.

Footwork and balance are one in the same in postups and the rest is only needed if want to be the number 1 or 2 option by posting up. Also players and coaches should always be willing to move off ball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mike Conley is pretty loving good creator, James Harden is better. Outside of those players neither team had a secondary creator for the majority of the season. (until Lou Will). Beverley is an average distributor.

It's a deliberate strategy. To act like every post up is a gently caress up is to play the fool.

The Rockets have many, many better offensive options than the Grizzlies do, are you saying the PG is the only thing that matters? You are way more likely to play catch and shoot with Ryan Anderson, Ariza and Gorden as your 4-3-2 than Randolph, Green and Tony Allen. If you were to switch their personnel but keep the same coaching staff you'd see a lot more postups from the Rockets too. I promise you the coaches and front office are aware of Points-Per-Possession and what it means. Its a combination of strategy and people for sure, but it's way more about what offense you have available.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Footwork and balance are one in the same in postups and the rest is only needed if want to be the number 1 or 2 option by posting up. Also players and coaches should always be willing to move off ball

They always "want" to and say they are going to and plan and scheme to, but they often don't demonstrate the "will" to do so in games and instead stand still and rest or set pointless screens or make other half-hearted movements in order to conserve energy.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The thing about posting up is not that it's bad, it's good, it's that it has a very high learning curve and a lot of bad post up players posted up because that is what people believed what bigs should do so the perception of the post up is negative. Someone who actually knows what they are doing in the post is going to produce a good shot in the post most of the time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dokmo posted:

Yes but there's some selective sample bias happening here since isos are rarely called and almost all the ones you see are after a busted play or against the shoot clock or a ballhandler hotdogging for reasons known only to him. If you could just measure the efficiency on called isos they would probably look like a better option, but probably not by much but who knows.

Can you tell me the ppp of Andrew Wiggins ISOs in the 4th quarter of a close game? Because almost all of those were called and it felt like he failed way more than he succeeded.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

Couldn't the same be said for post ups too? It feels like I see plenty of teams just dump it into the post once their perimeter stuff breaks down.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

They always "want" to and say they are going to and plan and scheme to, but they often don't demonstrate the "will" to do so in games and instead stand still and rest or set pointless screens or make other half-hearted movements in order to conserve energy.

That's a whole other issue though that deals with players not being taught the game before college

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

The scott brooks end of game play is the most efficient play in sports

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

The thing about posting up is not that it's bad, it's good, it's that it has a very high learning curve and a lot of bad post up players posted up because that is what people believed what bigs should do so the perception of the post up is negative. Someone who actually knows what they are doing in the post is going to produce a good shot in the post most of the time

Attempting to score from posting up is bad unless you can get a mismatch or a really bad post defender on you with no one able to help. It's why guards have become some of the "better' post up players. Other guards don't have the experience defending against them and there are usually stretch bigs on the court and the defending bigs can't run that far that fast to help out the guard getting beat up.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

[Wolfson] The #Twolves have made the Cavs an official offer for Kyrie Irving, per @wojespn. So have 5 other teams [Spurs, Clippers, Suns, Knicks, Heat]. No, I don't know the specifics yet.
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/890915805877108736

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

IcePhoenix posted:

Can you tell me the ppp of Andrew Wiggins ISOs in the 4th quarter of a close game? Because almost all of those were called and it felt like he failed way more than he succeeded.

Don't have combined stats but he has an offensive rating of 97.6 in clutch situations and 0.74 PPP on isos overall so I'm assuming bad

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

LBJ's greatest weapon was in front of him, why would you want him backing down?

lol. I saw this and liked it, don't you think for one second that nobody understands you - I do.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kyrie is a monster
http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/07/28/537907951/the-ongoing-battle-between-science-teachers-and-fake-news

quote:

Gurol says his students got the idea of a flat planet from basketball star Kyrie Irving, who said as much on a podcast.

"And immediately I start to panic. How have I failed these kids so badly they think the Earth is flat just because a basketball player says it?" He says he tried reasoning with the students and showed them a video. Nothing worked.

"They think that I'm part of this larger conspiracy of being a round-Earther. That's definitely hard for me because it feels like science isn't real to them."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kibner posted:

Attempting to score from posting up is bad unless you can get a mismatch or a really bad post defender on you with no one able to help. It's why guards have become some of the "better' post up players. Other guards don't have the experience defending against them and there are usually stretch bigs on the court and the defending bigs can't run that far that fast to help out the guard getting beat up.

I mean we are looking at league averages of PPP. Bigs enter the NBA with a steeper learning curve than guards because, like you said, you can't bully people in the NBA like you can in college or AAU. They get met with a sea of hands every time they go up or get the ball easily stripped or knocked away. Guards are becoming the better post up players because, again like you said, they rely on mismatches or bad post defense in order to score.

It doesn't mean the post up is a bad shot. You're closer to the basket and it sucks perimeter defenders in thus opening up the best shot in basketball, the three pointer. Yes you need a passing big and off the ball movement, but this is the NBA we're talking about. Passing bigs do rise to the top and we have a ton of them in the NBA. Off the ball movement won the last NBA championship. Post ups are good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Most importantly, a varied offense is important. If you can score several ways, your going to be more efficient.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Someone needs to tell Kyrie about time cube.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

There are only 15 everyday players in the NBA that are good enough at post ups to be allowed to do them:

Smart

It's a waste of time for everyone else.

Marcus Smart being an elite post player is something I still can't wrap my head around but it's really fun/funny to watch

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

Yes scoring the post is hard which is I said it has a high learning curve but that doesn't take away from those who can do it. A few examples: Marc Gasol shooting a hookshot is a good shot, dirks fadeaway is a good shot, Anthony Davis driving to the baske from the post is a good shot. Players like Drummond or Howard shouldn't shoot from the post because they are bad at it. Trying to score from the post as a bad or mediocre post player is a bad idea

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

WhyteRyce posted:

[Wolfson] The #Twolves have made the Cavs an official offer for Kyrie Irving, per @wojespn. So have 5 other teams [Spurs, Clippers, Suns, Knicks, Heat]. No, I don't know the specifics yet.
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/890915805877108736

how do the wolves have any cap space left?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

how do the wolves have any cap space left?

They don't. But if salaries match you don't need cap space

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yblxuuhz

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Pelinka, without pause, decides comparing the Lakers development to that of Taylor Swift was the best way to characterize the young core.

Russell is Joe Jonas. Lavar Ball might be John Meyer pretty soon

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WhyteRyce posted:

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

WhyteRyce posted:

Who is Katy Perry in this scenario? The Celtics? Even though that's not really a rivalry right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You still have to let your starting center shoot 10 times or so

That's going to be some post ups for most guys.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm excited to see if the Pelicans actually do run giant pick and rolls with Davis and Cousins

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There should be space as both guys can shoot threes

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

There should be space as both guys can shoot threes

Well Boogie can anyways, AD's not quite there yet

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Who is Katy Perry in this scenario? The Celtics? Even though that's not really a rivalry right now.

hmm, let me rethink.

Jeanie Buss/Kupchak: Joe Jonas
DeAngelo Russell: John Meyer
Katy Perry: De'Aaron Fox/his dad??

future Calvin Harris relationship: LeBron

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thanks! I'll keep those in mind. It won't be basketball season when I'm there or I would totally try to go with the like, 2 out of 10 people on this trip who like the NBA.

I've never been to Louisiana but the first Airbnb we found was a $2000 a night orgy mansion with a room that had a built-in cage and swing, so I'm preparing for anything.

A good place to eat a million oysters while in NOLA is Cooter Browns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: Knicks
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/890668651073871872

• Locked thread