Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Hey I am interested in using pigments for weathering, how do most users go about it? Dusting the pigment on I can imagine, but what about fixing it in place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Lots of people will recommend Testor's Dullcote in a bottle (not spray). I've only used the pigment fixer by MIG and it works a treat.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You shouldn't worry about a stripping a primer layer, unless it went totally wrong.

It was my first time and I ended up clogging a lot of details so if I were to paint them now they'd look pretty awful.

I'll see if I can find those biostrips, thanks

e: I figured out the right technique on my second go, so I haven't had any troubles, and I've got a pot of imperisl primer as well.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

R0ckfish posted:

Hey I am interested in using pigments for weathering, how do most users go about it? Dusting the pigment on I can imagine, but what about fixing it in place?

There is no solution I'm aware of that doesn't remove some of the dustiness or intensity except one, which is a big PITA.

Alcohol is the easiest- either mix it with alcohol and apply or apply and then spray it with alcohol. Varnish takes away most of the effect and isn't really recommended. Spirit is another way to go and works about the same as alcohol. The only way to get dusty results is to spray a slower drying liqueur varnish onto your model and then apply your pigment over the top while the varnish is still setting.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting my completed Goon Chapter Challenge marine.

Zuul the Cat posted:

STAR JUSTICARS

Lineage: The Star Justicars are Imperial Fists successors. Taking on a crusade much like their brothers, the Black Templars, they stalk the stars in search of the enemies of mankind that have visited grave injuries upon humanity. Worlds that were wiped out, sectors that have fallen, people forgotten - all are casus belli for the Star Justicars. They pursue enemy fleets and hunt down the enemy until their lifeless corpses float in the void.

Tactics: The Star Justicars primarily fight in space, ship to ship. Breacher units and close combat tactics are favored, as the close confines of ships often don't leave much room for tanks or artillery.

Heraldry: Purple in honor of their regal heritage, and the blue after the memory of the first world they avenged. A Khornate Chaos Warband descended on the Agri-World of Almundi Prime, famous for it's vibrant blue skies that seemed to never end, no matter where you stood on the world. They slaughtered the entire population, leaving eight great mounds of skulls upon the world. The Star Justicars responded too late to save the population, but they wiped out the warband to the last man, and scuttled their ship.

First Sergeant Kronos, armed with a Cawl Pattern Assault Bolt Rifle and chapter relic, Shield of Sol:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

One of Phil's friends made him into a Glacial Geek Primaris Librarian who's smite is a concentrated WOOOO :kimchi:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

No idea who that guy is but that's pretty neat.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cannot unsee...

(Gordon's ALIVE)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

R0ckfish posted:

I use mineral spirits to fix it in place. Once it's fixed, regular sealers (I use Testors DullCote spray) don't seem to diminish the effects too much. The issue with trying to spray on a sealer on unfixed pigments is that the pressure of the spray blasts the pigments off.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you want flatter pigment dust the pigment on and apply the fixer. Don't dab the fixer on, use the wick it on. For a rougher texture apply fixer and then get a good brushload of pigment and tap it on from above.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

LordAba posted:

If you want flatter pigment dust the pigment on and apply the fixer. Don't dab the fixer on, use the wick it on. For a rougher texture apply fixer and then get a good brushload of pigment and tap it on from above.

Words of wisdom right here.

I use this stuff: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_19&products_id=579

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

R0ckfish posted:

You don't really need to fix them in place. The pigment will stick quite happily in crevasses, nooks and crannies - which, realistically, is where the dirt you are trying to emulate would stay anyway.

If it is a gaming piece and not a display piece, you probably want to seal it with a matte varnish spray, but this is mostly because you don't want your fingers getting dirty every time you touch it. However, sealing using a matte spray will diminish the effect, quite noticeably imo.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
From 40k thread

richyp posted:

Happy Larry

Green Bro's in much bigly close up

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

From 40k thread

Love them. What are you using for the bases? Vallejo Pumice?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

Love them. What are you using for the bases? Vallejo Pumice?

The bases are just GW Astrogranite non Debris version (I'm super lazy), washed black then drybrushed Ulthuan Grey. I don't have any of Vallejo stuff any more thanks to a "Storage Incident". Edges are whatever the Brown is from the Starter paint set (Mournfang?) as I figure it'll tie in with the bronze better than the black edge and contrasts better with the grey on the base than a grey trim would.

I was going to do some toxic pools on them with Nurgle's rot but I forgot to buy the paint.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Avatars of War is having a summer sale. Prices reduced and free shipping.

Just ordered some of their nice dorf rangers.

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&prodcode=pl07&prodname=Dwarf+Pathfinders&id=118&Itemid=53

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

c-c-c-c-crosspost

Hixson posted:

Finished up some of my Night Bois:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hixson posted:

c-c-c-c-crosspost

That's a gorgeous army.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen a Night Lords army in person. They don't get enough love.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Fuckin rad armies posted ITT

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

c-c-c-c-crosspost

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

This month's crop from the Oath thread (plus a few extra that straddled the start of the month);

Picked up a proper set of backdrops this month, and a second LED lamp arrived today and I think they've done wonders. Hell, they actually look better in the photos than in real life which is a bit unusually. Plus I'm rather happy with the blue/teal NMM, which was a bit of an experiment and didn't quite drive me up the wall...

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
X-Post in da houuuse!

The Sisko posted:

Ask and ye shall receive!
:unsmigghh:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Finished up a few Primaris Marines.

First up we have Corvix, my Raven Guard Primaris Librarian.

And here we have my Wolf Lord in Gravis Armor.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hi painting thread.

My vortex mixer arrived while I was at work today. I just unpacked it and tested it out. The videos posted before are not an exaggeration. I just took a vallejo bright gold that had seperated into:

- Water -
- White acrylic medium -
- Metal flakes stuck to bottle base -

Perfect, distinct, defined layers.

It's now a fully mixed and usable paint. It took about 15 seconds.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hixson posted:

c-c-c-c-crosspost

In midnight clad :hellyeah:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I gave mine a little makeover.

I also had to replace the dial for the rheostat.

Edit: hmmmm my pictures arent working.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 29, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

dexefiend posted:

They work for me.

Mixer looks good. :getin:

I think I might print a better holder for vallejo bottles, mines a bit wide.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I got one of the refurbed vortex mixers sold as typhoon ultras and am super pleased with it, specially for poo poo like Scale75 which needs a ton of mixing sometimes and is thick as all hell.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Help, I suck. I don't actually enjoy painting much. Help my guys look better quickly and easily. Duncan has been a godsend.

Inceptors

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Crossposting from 40k thread

xXx40kfuckbois4lyfexXx

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

dexefiend posted:

These look super cool. So just for mixing paint really well right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beerdeer posted:

Help, I suck. I don't actually enjoy painting much. Help my guys look better quickly and easily. Duncan has been a godsend.

Inceptors

You're off to a good start. Just finish getting them all basecoated and hit em with a wash and then add some layers / highlights on top and poo poo'll look as good as any of my dudes do

If you really hate painting you can just wash them and call it a day there really. It'll look decent enough.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beerdeer posted:

Inceptors

Decals are easy and quick. They can really add a lot of details to a basic paint job. Basically all you need to do is basecoat, add some edge highlights, and then hit the whole thing with a wash. Highlighting then washing mutes the highlights but also helps with imperfect edging.

If you hate painting then don't worry about it and just focus on getting basic models on the board.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Duncan's painting instructions aren't the most efficient I have seen and maybe not the best if you actively dislike painting. He shows painting an area from start to finish which if you want to get guys on the table quick is not the best way to paint.

Basically you want to open paint pots and clean brushes when necessary, this takes a bit of planning. For example for my imperial guard I will undercoat black, drybrush metallics then black wash. Base coat red, bone, flesh and brown areas, the wash those areas with a brown wash all together then do highlights.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross posting, Pasanius Lysane for my 4th Company:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
4th co ultras usually look like garbage but your dudes look great

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've just been dicking around with my new Foldio 360 for 15mins which is total fun and I thought you might like to see the efforts. Not perfect as just getting used to it but still a pretty cool gadget.

Hybrids

Tau Ghostkeel

Imperial Fists

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did my first miniature in years. Pretty happy.

Couple thoughts:

1. Really happy with the effect I got from the Liquitex ink. I have done yellows really well over bone, and now a metallic effect by putting purple over silver.

2. The sequence of base coat, ink wash, edge highlight with base coat color, and second wash produces some really nice effects.

3. Decal paper is a godsend, but color matching is a bitch.

4. Agrellan Earth is amazing, but you have to apply a dark base coat first in order to have something showing through the cracks.

5. Airbrushing is amazing.

Finally does anyone know if subsequent coats of Micro Sol will smooth out the creases on the arrow decal? I have applied about three now and nothing has really changed, but I only waited a few hours between coats.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is looking to get the new Store Anniversary Primaris Captain, i'm giving one away randomly for participating in a Chapter Challenge on my instagram page.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I shamelessly stole Beer4theBeerGods idea and I'm running another Chapter Challenge on my instagram.

I'm also giving away an Anniversary Captain as well, so if you wanted one and can't get one, here's your chance!

All the details are on my instagram page.

There are only 13 people entered so far, so you have a good shot at winning it as of right now.