Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Playing 2 games tomorrow morning for the Konor campaign at 70 Power Level, and taking my AdMech in a Spearhead detachment. First game is against my friends Necrons, second is against an unknown opponent.

The list:

HQ
Belisarius Cawl - 13 PL
Tech-Priest Dominus - 7 PL

Troops
Kataphron Destroyers x3 (Heavy Grav Cannons, Cognis Flamers) - 10 PL

Elites
Cybernetica Datasmith - 3 PL
Fulgurite Electro-Priests x5 - 4 PL

Heavy Support
Kastelan Robots x2 (Fists, Incendine Combustors) - 12 PL
Onager Dunecrawler x3 (Neutron Lasers & Heavy-Stubber, Cognis Heavy Stubbers and Smoke Launchers) - 18 PL

Total: 67/70 PL

I haven't used the Electro-Priests yet and I wanted to give them a shot. Plan is to keep them between the Kastelan's and the Datasmith/Tech-Priest. Cawl will scuttle along with the Dunecrawlers and destroyers, rerolling shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Now that we know point values, here's my rough draft of a 1500 primaris list I'm going to build towards. At 2000 I'd add a redemptor, a primaris apothecary, a 6th inceptor, and beef out the intercessors some more and give them those grenade launchers. Not going to be able to fit a stormtalon in to support this list so hopefully the repulsor can do enough work until I deliver power fists. Imperial Fists tactics.

Gravis captain with armor indomitus
Power sword primaris lieutenant
5 assault bolter inceptors
5 intercessors
6 intercessors
6 intercessors
5 hellblasters with rapid fire plasma
3 flamer aggressors
Repulsor with TL lascannon, las-talon, 2 krakstrom, 2 fragstorm, onslaught cannon, 2 storm bolters, icarus rocket pod

I figure the aggressors and the 2 HQs can go in the repulsor.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
What is the points total on a Repulsor with its base required weapons? How points efficient is it for the firepower it brings? At 230 for just the body its looking Land Raider expensive. Is it a viable gunboat when compared with the efficiency of Predators or the Terminus Ultra?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Uroboros posted:

What is the points total on a Repulsor with its base required weapons? How points efficient is it for the firepower it brings? At 230 for just the body its looking Land Raider expensive. Is it a viable gunboat when compared with the efficiency of Predators or the Terminus Ultra?

Well, the build I posted is about 340 points. With its basic weapons it costs 287.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Its about 300 points, theres no minimum guns on it you just change out the ones it has and its got a stupid number of them.

Honestly everyones saying the heavy onslaught is the way to go but im going to be going for the 4 las cannon shots on mine, d6 damage is something primaris forces are sorely lacking.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Zuul the Cat posted:

Playing 2 games tomorrow morning for the Konor campaign at 70 Power Level, and taking my AdMech in a Spearhead detachment. First game is against my friends Necrons, second is against an unknown opponent.

The list:

HQ
Belisarius Cawl - 13 PL
Tech-Priest Dominus - 7 PL

Troops
Kataphron Destroyers x3 (Heavy Grav Cannons, Cognis Flamers) - 10 PL

Elites
Cybernetica Datasmith - 3 PL
Fulgurite Electro-Priests x5 - 4 PL

Heavy Support
Kastelan Robots x2 (Fists, Incendine Combustors) - 12 PL
Onager Dunecrawler x3 (Neutron Lasers & Heavy-Stubber, Cognis Heavy Stubbers and Smoke Launchers) - 18 PL

Total: 67/70 PL

I haven't used the Electro-Priests yet and I wanted to give them a shot. Plan is to keep them between the Kastelan's and the Datasmith/Tech-Priest. Cawl will scuttle along with the Dunecrawlers and destroyers, rerolling shots.

I'm planning on running something similar for my first game once I get all my boys assembled:

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [78 PL, 1500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 250pts]

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 107pts]: Omnispex
. 2x Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic arquebus
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle
. 2x Skitarii Ranger

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 77pts]: Enhanced data-tether
. 2x Skitarii Vanguard
. Vanguard (Arc Rifle): Arc rifle
. Vanguard (Plasma caliver): Plasma caliver
. Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

+ Elites +

Cybernetica Datasmith [3 PL, 52pts]: Gamma pistol, Power fist

Fulgurite Electro-Priests [8 PL, 160pts]: 10x Fulgurite Electro-Priest

+ Fast Attack +

Ironstrider Ballistarii [4 PL, 95pts]
. Ironstrider Ballistarius: Twin Cognis Lascannon

Sydonian Dragoons [6 PL, 148pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Phosphor Serpenta, Taser lance

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [24 PL, 330pts]
. Kastelan Robot: Heavy Phosphor blaster
. . Heavy phosphor blasters: 2x Heavy Phosphor blaster

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 138pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber, Icarus Array

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 143pts]: Smoke Launchers
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

++ Total: [78 PL, 1500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I'm curious to hear how the electro priests fare too, I hear they're great but you gotta get them close first and that they're best taken as a larger than minimum sized squad to reliably get those mortal wounds.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Lifes sweet for an ultramarine, giving my captain a 3++ that also lets him deny the witch.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Pretty sure strike from the shadows is infantry only.

Sadly haven't actually seen the actual book entry, but everywhere I have seen it says "unit."

That being said, infantry only makes sense.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

adamantium|wang posted:

Updated with gun arms:

How did you do that base?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I thought that squeeze bottles were the best innovation in painting in ages, the very best way to get paint onto a palette.

Then, the nozzle on one of them blasted off as I was squeezing out some paint:

I had to rush my bog monsters to the sink to wash off the paint splatters and pour rubbing alcohol on the carpet to get the stains out. I still haven't found where the nozzle careened to. :v:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I'm planning on running something similar for my first game once I get all my boys assembled:

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [78 PL, 1500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 250pts]

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 107pts]: Omnispex
. 2x Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic arquebus
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle
. 2x Skitarii Ranger

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 77pts]: Enhanced data-tether
. 2x Skitarii Vanguard
. Vanguard (Arc Rifle): Arc rifle
. Vanguard (Plasma caliver): Plasma caliver
. Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

+ Elites +

Cybernetica Datasmith [3 PL, 52pts]: Gamma pistol, Power fist

Fulgurite Electro-Priests [8 PL, 160pts]: 10x Fulgurite Electro-Priest

+ Fast Attack +

Ironstrider Ballistarii [4 PL, 95pts]
. Ironstrider Ballistarius: Twin Cognis Lascannon

Sydonian Dragoons [6 PL, 148pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [24 PL, 330pts]

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 138pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber, Icarus Array

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 143pts]: Smoke Launchers
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

++ Total: [78 PL, 1500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I'm curious to hear how the electro priests fare too, I hear they're great but you gotta get them close first and that they're best taken as a larger than minimum sized squad to reliably get those mortal wounds.

That's why i want to place them behind the robots. Robots are way scarier, especially for people that haven't played against the Electro-Priests. it really forces them to choose, and that Aegis defense protocol makes them tough as nails.

Speaking of - how does cover work for intervening units now? You can fire through your own stuff, right? and firing through enemy units at a unit beyond no longer offers any sort of bonus?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

Sadly haven't actually seen the actual book entry, but everywhere I have seen it says "unit."

That being said, infantry only makes sense.

Just checked, does indeed specify Raven Guard Infantry.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

Its about 300 points, theres no minimum guns on it you just change out the ones it has and its got a stupid number of them.

Honestly everyones saying the heavy onslaught is the way to go but im going to be going for the 4 las cannon shots on mine, d6 damage is something primaris forces are sorely lacking.

Agreed. Aggressors and Redemptors can mow down infantry like there's no tomorrow, but without a laser Repulsor you're going to have major trouble with armor. Power fists are pretty much your only option besides. Maybe Hellblasters, but they're super inefficient for the purpose.

Who seems like the winners and losers of the Primaris range so far?

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
As far as I can tell, you can shoot through your own guys and through enemy units at your target. If they're a character they have to be the closest unit/need a sniper rifle or if your target is engaged in CC with a friendly unit they can't be targeted in shooting because they're within 1" of friendlies.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So with the power fist point drop, a default terminator squad is now 192 points. That's pretty drat good. It makes terminators cheaper than aggressors.

The Bee posted:

Reivers are honestly not looking that awesome to me. They're pretty cheap at 20ppm if you take one of the deep strike options (compared to most other primaris), but they can't use their grenades the turn they deep strike and they're not troops so it's hard to justify bringing them to me. I dunno. If playing primaris only, 300 points are going to intercessors right at the start and another 150-200 on HQ, and their stuff is expensive enough to make reivers a luxury that gets dropped early to make room for other stuff, like heavy weapons. If not running primaris only, I think I'd take jump pack vanguard or assault marines. Jump pack vanguard are the same ppm as reivers without a deep strike option, and get access to all kinds of power weapons, especially now with fists, hammers, and claws being cheaper.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 28, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

I thought that squeeze bottles were the best innovation in painting in ages, the very best way to get paint onto a palette.

Then, the nozzle on one of them blasted off as I was squeezing out some paint:

I had to rush my bog monsters to the sink to wash off the paint splatters and pour rubbing alcohol on the carpet to get the stains out. I still haven't found where the nozzle careened to. :v:

Yep. I've had that happen to me as well. You get a clog in the nozzle and you're done. At least your was pretty much contained to the table - mine dumped on our white couch.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Artum posted:

Just checked, does indeed specify Raven Guard Infantry.

Thanks for the clarification. Still pretty drat powerful and fluffy.

That being said, I'm still torn as to if I want to put the assault vets and shrike in the Raven, or drop them on jump packs.

I'll probably drop them in on packs, infiltrate my aggressors, and sky crane a Dread around.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 28, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Clearly you should strike from the shadows with HB assault centurions. Now that twin HB + hurricane bolter devs are 30 points more per model than hurricane bolter assault centurions, I'm thinking we might see those more. Or maybe people will ignore them and just use aggressors.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Finished up some of my Night Bois:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

Agreed. Aggressors and Redemptors can mow down infantry like there's no tomorrow, but without a laser Repulsor you're going to have major trouble with armor. Power fists are pretty much your only option besides. Maybe Hellblasters, but they're super inefficient for the purpose.

Hellblasters were both ineffecient against armour and required you to waste your captains amazing melee potential to stop them blowing themselves up. It's less of a problem now that dreads can activate the aura too.

The only genuine loser of the range seems to be inceptors tbh, they're massively expensive for a unit that kills 3-4 meqs and then gets killed if your opponent has any sense at all.

chutche2 posted:

Reivers are honestly not looking that awesome to me. They're pretty cheap at 20ppm if you take one of the deep strike options (compared to most other primaris), but they can't use their grenades the turn they deep strike and they're not troops so it's hard to justify bringing them to me. I dunno. If playing primaris only, 300 points are going to intercessors right at the start and another 150-200 on HQ, and their stuff is expensive enough to make reivers a luxury that gets dropped early to make room for other stuff, like heavy weapons. If not running primaris only, I think I'd take jump pack vanguard or assault marines. Jump pack vanguard are the same ppm as reivers without a deep strike option, and get access to all kinds of power weapons, especially now with fists, hammers, and claws being cheaper.

I dunno, reivers seem fine. compared to asm as a deep striking melee option you're paying 25% more for twice as much health and 50% more attacks which seems like a solid deal.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
ASM are still pretty lovely though so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:thunk:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Hellblasters were both ineffecient against armour and required you to waste your captains amazing melee potential to stop them blowing themselves up. It's less of a problem now that dreads can activate the aura too.

The only genuine loser of the range seems to be inceptors tbh, they're massively expensive for a unit that kills 3-4 meqs and then gets killed if your opponent has any sense at all.

I dunno, reivers seem fine. compared to asm as a deep striking melee option you're paying 25% more for twice as much health and 50% more attacks which seems like a solid deal.

ASM definitely don't make for good deep strikers, I want to leverage their flamers if I'm bringing any, and half the time don't even give them jump packs I just stick them in a razorback. But vanguard vs reiver is a good comparison. If deep striking, reivers cost 2ppm more than pistol + chainsword vanguard, and do have twice the wounds but have no access to any power weapons or storm shields. The grenades are cool, but the vanguard get a meltabomb and neither unit can use their grenades when deep striking.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

That is one gorgeous army.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

In addition to the thumb it took me a while to figure out that he wasn't holding a belt menacingly.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What is the actual wording for the Reiver's outflank rule? I was never able to make it out.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

ASM are still pretty lovely though so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

chutche2 posted:

ASM definitely don't make for good deep strikers, I want to leverage their flamers if I'm bringing any, and half the time don't even give them jump packs I just stick them in a razorback. But vanguard vs reiver is a good comparison. If deep striking, reivers cost 2ppm more than pistol + chainsword vanguard, and do have twice the wounds but have no access to any power weapons or storm shields. The grenades are cool, but the vanguard get a meltabomb and neither unit can use their grenades when deep striking.

Point taken. Also poo poo I hadnt clocked on to that with grenades, had it in my head that they were range 12" for some reason.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I'm thinking of having non-jumppack Vanguards or ASMs Strike from the Shadows to save some points. Good idea or best idea?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Simple questions but it's got me all :confused:

The drop pods rules state 'blah blah put it down 9 inches away in your movement phase'.

Do you have to roll to bring it in from reserves?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Pendent posted:

What is the actual wording for the Reiver's outflank rule? I was never able to make it out.

Either standard Deep Strike for grav chutes, or standard but within 6 inches of a table edge for grapnel.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BeigeJacket posted:

Simple questions but it's got me all :confused:

The drop pods rules state 'blah blah put it down 9 inches away in your movement phase'.

Do you have to roll to bring it in from reserves?

Nothing rolls for reserves now. They come in on the turn you want, at the end of your movement phase.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Either standard Deep Strike for grav chutes, or standard but within 6 inches of a table edge for grapnel.

They're placed within six of a table edge at the end of the movement phase?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

TKIY posted:

Nothing rolls for reserves now. They come in on the turn you want, at the end of your movement phase.

Huh, that makes things simpler then!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Artum posted:

So, 300 points for 4 Lascannons, when you can get a predator to do the same thing for 100 points less? I get the Repulsor is tougher, shoots and move, and can disengage, but is this vital on a ranged anti-tank platform? Better yet could Devastators with Lascannons or Missiles do the same job for much cheaper? I get the Repulsor is a troop transport as well, but honestly it doesn't seem viable for that role.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Uroboros posted:

So, 300 points for 4 Lascannons, when you can get a predator to do the same thing for 100 points less? I get the Repulsor is tougher, shoots and move, and can disengage, but is this vital on a ranged anti-tank platform? Better yet could Devastators with Lascannons or Missiles do the same job for much cheaper? I get the Repulsor is a troop transport as well, but honestly it doesn't seem viable for that role.

You still get tons of anti infantry on the Repulsor too, even when going full las. Also, a lot of our talks are assuming all-Primaris. Repulsor is way less essential when it isn't your only real heavy.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Its t8 16 wounds m10" and has power of the machine spirit, its basically a cheaper land raider with a 3+ instead of a 2+ rather than any kind of predator analog.

Synergy013
Jul 24, 2007
Series of tubes?
Built a fluffy sorta list but haven't sat down an played 8th yet. I used on units I generally have at the moment. Any kind of decent or can I just expect to get wiped?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [134 PL, 2000pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Kayvaan Shrike [8 PL, 150pts]

Librarian [7 PL, 132pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, Bolt pistol, Force axe, Jump Pack

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 55pts]
. . Scout Sergeant: Astartes shotgun, Combat knife
. . 4x Scout w/Shotgun

Scout Squad [6 PL, 55pts]
. . Scout Sergeant: Astartes shotgun, Combat knife
. . 4x Scout w/Shotgun

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 155pts]
. . 7x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Storm bolter
. . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
. . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

+ Elites +

Sternguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 125pts]
. . Space Marine Veteran: Combi-melta
. . 4x Space Marine Veteran: Special issue boltgun
. . Veteran Sergeant: Special issue boltgun

Sternguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 125pts]
. . Space Marine Veteran: Combi-melta
. . 4x Space Marine Veteran: Special issue boltgun
. . Veteran Sergeant: Special issue boltgun

Vanguard Veteran Squad [15 PL, 195pts]: Jump Pack
. . 4x Space Marine Veteran: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. . Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Vanguard Veteran Squad [16 PL, 185pts]: Jump Pack, Melta bombs
. . 9x Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword
. . Veteran Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [11 PL, 235pts]: Armorium Cherub
. . 5x Space Marine
. . Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun
. . 4x Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Whirlwind [5 PL, 109pts]: Whirlwind vengeance launcher

+ Flyer +

Stormtalon Gunship [9 PL, 195pts]: Twin assault cannon, Typhoon missile launcher

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 102pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

Razorback [5 PL, 102pts]: Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]: Hunter-killer missile, 2x Storm bolter

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Its t8 16 wounds m10" and has power of the machine spirit, its basically a cheaper land raider with a 3+ instead of a 2+ rather than any kind of predator analog.

It's not a cheaper land raider. When you give it the TL las and las-talon it's land raider price. Around 300 points is what you get for a pure infantry build, once you add in las weapons it's closer to 350.

TL lascannon, lastalon, onslaught, 4 fragstorm, 2 krakstorm, icarus missile pod, ironhail heavy stubber is 352 points. You can cheapen that up a little bit, not take the extra heavy stubber, turn the fragstorms and icarus into storm bolters, but it'll still be expensive, around 335 if you take the onslaught instead of a heavy stubber.

The cheapest you can run one with 4 las shots is:
TL lascannon, las-talon, ironstorm heavy stubber, 2 krakstorms, autolaunchers, 3 storm bolters for 320, sacrificing practically all of your anti-infantry firepower.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 28, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

Sick as hell bro. I feel the pigments did a really great job tying them all together. I still wish you put some red on your dreadclaw tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
While I'm very glad GW customer service is awesome and replaced my broken piece, I'm a little saddened that I didn't win the customer service lottery and get a full sprue. Oh well, now I can continue assembling things at least!