Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TheDemon posted:

I'm 26-6 in tournament practice, 6-1 in 2-man queues, and 4-0 at my LGS with this lovely Enigma Drake deck :stare:

Enigma Drake seems like a pretty fine card, to be honest. Four toughness puts it out of range of cheap removal, and in a UR spells deck it's a fairly cheap flyer that will kill people very fast if they don't have answers for it or you can protect it.

AlternateNu posted:

So, I know Death's Shadow was just reprinted in MM2017, but when do you think it is going to start spiking again? Or will it just be Thoughtseize creeping up until its $50 again? Outside of the mana base and Snap, Grixis DS is a pretty cheap deck, and I don't see how the slated "best deck in the format" can stay that way.

There's a fair amount of anxiety that Grixis Shadow might see a card banned, which might be making people hesitant to buy the deck. The expensive pieces you're talking about are also format staples that have been in T1 decks forever, so even if they're in the current 'best deck' it's not necessarily going to spike their demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Voyager I posted:

There's a fair amount of anxiety that Grixis Shadow might see a card banned, which might be making people hesitant to buy the deck. The expensive pieces you're talking about are also format staples that have been in T1 decks forever, so even if they're in the current 'best deck' it's not necessarily going to spike their demand.

The one good thing is that if death's shadow is banned you can just transition the deck back into grixis delver like it was before, maybe not the best deck but still a fairly good one.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

SoftNum posted:

Standard has been depowering for like a decade? :shrug:

The burn deck around during Khans block was crazy strong and that was a format with Feed the Clan, Siege Rhino, Nyx-Fleece Ram, and Surge of Righteousness all seeing play at some point.

It's just better to pay 2 mana for good threats right now rather then spend 3 mana to react to threats.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Transformers cards that transform for HasCon.

Grimlock spoiled by Trick, looks cool.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Hascon promos

https://twitter.com/jeremynoell/status/890953097807360001

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is that a change to how Transform works?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nerf War makes me want to go buy one of those lovely little Nerf Handguns so I can actually use this card.

Which sadly makes me feel like that's the point.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The marketing is pretty ingenious imo.

Although a sufficiently good Nerf gun could kill an entire deck, that's pretty spicy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Sword of dungeons and dragons is a good name for a cross promotional card.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Protection from Clerics would have been somewhat real in Onslaught limited.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

LordAbaddon posted:

The one good thing is that if death's shadow is banned you can just transition the deck back into grixis delver like it was before, maybe not the best deck but still a fairly good one.

Is DS even really that good anymore? I mean it has a rough matchup against any deck that goes wide (which is a lot of them), Burn, Storm and with UW making a big comeback (at least on MTGO), you can't stubborn denial your way out of supreme verdict.

Now the Jund version is much more scary because it has many more threats and a quicker timer, but the Grixis version feels like the remainder of the field has all figured out so much hate for the archtype. It might represent a large portion of the meta, but I don't know if it's dominant or anything deserving of bans.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TheDemon posted:

It's that deck that I tried to help that guy who was down on competitive mtg a dozen pages back with:
http://deck.tk/8QE69EGI

Like, what makes it mediocre is that I didn't even mean to build it. I just was like "okay here's how I'd make that idea better" and then I tried it and it blew the prowess deck I was working on out of the water and just kept going.

The only thing to note is that the Hieroglyphic Illuminations are on the way out, I just haven't decided what to replace them with.

Supreme Will.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Shortest Path posted:

It would normally be worded "Transform Grimlock" rather than "Grimlock, Dinobot Leader becomes Grimlock, Ferocious King" (which is presumably the name on the back side of that card), but I don't think it's a functional change to how it actually works.

The use of Transformers to refer to both Autobots and Decepticons is unusual wording too.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Transformers®

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Protection from Clerics would have been somewhat real in Onslaught limited.

I drafted onslaught like twice so I have no idea how good this card was but I suspect not very

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can't wait to build a Grimlock EDH deck

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

80s James Hetfield posted:

Can't wait to build a Grimlock EDH deck

If I had one, I'd tear apart my Depala deck and throw in all the Ixalan dinosaurs when it comes out without a hint of irony.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So with RDW on the rise I fear playing U/W monument, but don't want to stop.

Do you think replacing Hanweir Militia captains with Glory-bound initiates is the worst idea. GBI seems to hose RDW, but gets killed by Dusk.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Archenteron posted:

If I had one, I'd tear apart my Depala deck and throw in all the Ixalan dinosaurs when it comes out without a hint of irony.

Those cards are probably like $250 each. How many do they give out at Hascon?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
There's old fogey already

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I see that Amaz made day 2, glad The Web got so mad at Wizards

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yuzenn posted:

Is DS even really that good anymore? I mean it has a rough matchup against any deck that goes wide (which is a lot of them), Burn, Storm and with UW making a big comeback (at least on MTGO), you can't stubborn denial your way out of supreme verdict.

Now the Jund version is much more scary because it has many more threats and a quicker timer, but the Grixis version feels like the remainder of the field has all figured out so much hate for the archtype. It might represent a large portion of the meta, but I don't know if it's dominant or anything deserving of bans.

Short answer, yes.

The issue DS has is grixis is very HARD. Seriously, the play required to maximize the deck is so just past the normal player so the results are skewed.

The Jund version falling out of flavor is less of the deck being bad and more because the high end players are just playing the better version of it. The jund version is just as dangerous as it ever was and has new toys. As players move away at the top so does it at the bottom.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 28, 2017

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Sickening posted:

Short answer, yes.

The issue DS has is grixis is very HARD. Seriously, the play required to maximize the deck is so just past the normal player so the results are skewed.

The Jund version falling out of flavor is less of the deck being bad and more because the high end players are just playing the better version of it. The jund version is just as dangerous as it ever was and has new toys. As players move away at the top so does it at the bottom.

I'm just going off anedcotal (albeit HUNDREDS of MTGO games worth of anecdote) evidence, I just feel like I don't lose to DS almost ever. Maybe it's because I play decks that just have an advantage over it (U/W Control, Skred Red, and Storm).

The piloting is super hard, you're correct...I went through my worst slide of losses when I switched to DS for a month straight.

My basic point is that I don't see a ban because while it is a very powerful deck, it's not dominant at all so I can't fathom any part of it getting banned.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Does not seem like its limited to just me so if anyone is ordering from CFB soon use this for 10% off.

quote:

Hi Planeswalker,

Thank you for providing your feedback!

For 10% off your next purchase, enter the code SURVEY when you check out. Act soon, this code expires on 8/11/17.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hascon?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Yes. Hascon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is Painter's Servant the only card that permanently changes creatures colors? it's such a niche effect but I was interested in how easy it might be to have a infinite loop with Teysa Orzhov Scion

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Archenteron posted:

I had the same thought instantly. To bad it will cost like $200 or something stupid.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is Painter's Servant the only card that permanently changes creatures colors? it's such a niche effect but I was interested in how easy it might be to have a infinite loop with Teysa Orzhov Scion

Darkest Hour is the most common teysa combo piece I think.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

This was actually a thing in modern abzan company back during eldrazi winter, let's you wipe out the board pretty easy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

Judging by how slapshod the templating is elsewhere, no, I think that's just them not wanting the verb "transform" anywhere near a Transformer.

This is an actual thing, avoiding genericizing the term so as to not lose copyright.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

80s James Hetfield posted:

Those cards are probably like $250 each. How many do they give out at Hascon?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Grimlock should be legal in all formats, because this is his gameplan:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Man how do I get one of those Grimlock cards, short of paying the entrance fee for this corporate shill convention?

My little brother lives in Providence so maybe I'll just get him to go grab a few for me.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Man how do I get one of those Grimlock cards, short of paying the entrance fee for this corporate shill convention?

My little brother lives in Providence so maybe I'll just get him to go grab a few for me.

The ticket option that includes those promos is $600
https://hascon.hasbro.com/tickets

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There are actually quite a few cards in ancient magic that permanently change a card's colors but most of them were one shot. The most obvious example of the Laces.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

There are actually quite a few cards in ancient magic that permanently change a card's colors but most of them were one shot. The most obvious example of the Laces.

those don't combo with teysa very well. or rather, they combo with her exactly once

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

There's an old enchantment from Urza's? that turns all creatures black. Just play 2 of those, Magical Hack one to be white, and do whatever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think Darkest Hour is the usual card that combos with her? I dunno, look at edhrec I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm a little worried about Cedric...

https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/891083541726994432