Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

You can use keyboard shortcuts for a lot of the stuff though, like, selecting some text and pressing Control+B adds the bold text bbcode around it Control+I for italic, Control+L for list etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Thermopyle posted:

There used to be a Firefox extension I used that added all sorts of bbcode stuff to the right click menu or something... I'm a little fuzzy on the details as it's been many years since I last used it. I do remember I was really disappointed when it disappeared.
It still exists and was maintained as of last year, though I don't see any updates this year:
https://github.com/astral-sa/salr

There is a chrome version here but it's definitely unmaintained:
https://github.com/scottferg/salr-chrome

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It still exists and was maintained as of last year, though I don't see any updates this year:

Sorry, it was a generic bbcode extension, not specific to SA. It had a lot more options and smarts for formatting.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

baka kaba posted:

The sad thing about the bbcode stuff is I'm sometimes on my desktop thinking 'I wish I was writing this post on my phone' - that's just wrong

That's what SALR is great for!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That's the old Chrome extension. The current one is here:
https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-chrome/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LastInLine posted:

That's the old Chrome extension. The current one is here:
https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-chrome/
Oh poo poo nice, thanks!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
This may be known already, but the app crashes for me when trying to use any theme but the default. On an S8

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Garfu posted:

This may be known already, but the app crashes for me when trying to use any theme but the default. On an S8

It might need storage permissions, if I'm not confusing it with another issue

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Daztek posted:

It might need storage permissions, if I'm not confusing it with another issue

Hey that fixed it, thanks! Not being able to use the dark theme is pretty much the only reason I hadn't activated my S8 in the 6 weeks since I got it. Woo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are you on the latest version? That should have been fixed a while back, you get a warning about permissions now (and it works without them, you just can't see any custom themes you've added)

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Are you on the latest version? That should have been fixed a while back, you get a warning about permissions now (and it works without them, you just can't see any custom themes you've added)

Yep was on the latest version, just updated before posting.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Garfu posted:

Yep was on the latest version, just updated before posting.

same here. i took a forums break a week or so ago, and when i reinstalled the app i still got the crash upon theme change when i didn't allow the permission

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Weird! So this is what's meant to happen

• You go into Settings > Themes
  • (If you've already said Deny you get an explanation popup, unless you said Don't Ask Again)
  • You get an 'allow storage permission' popup
  • You click Allow or Deny and it goes away
  • Now you can click on Theme and get a list
  • You choose one and the Settings page changes to use the new theme

Where on that list is it crashing? And what version of Android are you on? The actual version number would help, should be in About Phone or whatever

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

For me, it crashes when I tap the theme that I want to change to. Nexus 5X, Android 7.1.2, all patches/updates installed.

e: i triggered the crash again so i could send a report. I don't think I sent one before, sorry!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
This app is the goddamned best thing, thank you!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

:frogbon:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

For me, it crashes when I tap the theme that I want to change to. Nexus 5X, Android 7.1.2, all patches/updates installed.

e: i triggered the crash again so i could send a report. I don't think I sent one before, sorry!

Hmm yeah, something's up there all right. Thanks for pointing it out because it looks like it's been happening for a while!

e- the people getting this, do you see a normal list of themes - Default, Dark, OLED etc? Are you doing anything special before you select one, like rotating the screen or anything?

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 2, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Hmm yeah, something's up there all right. Thanks for pointing it out because it looks like it's been happening for a while!

e- the people getting this, do you see a normal list of themes - Default, Dark, OLED etc? Are you doing anything special before you select one, like rotating the screen or anything?

Yeah, I see the big list of themes. I don't think I'm doing anything funny, I just tried it again after force-closing the app in my OS settings and it still crashed. One potential interesting thing here is that, if I haven't given the "storage" permission or I turn it off, when the dialog pops up with the list of themes, the radio button by the current theme isn't "selected". When I've granted the permission the radio button is selected when the list pops up.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Normal list. But like I said it was fixed by allowing the storage permissions. OS was 7.0 on a Samsung S8. Sorry for the late response!

My case may have been a little different since I mirrored my old phone and then updated all of the apps, so maybe that could be why I didn't get the notification when I updated.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah it's meant to handle permissions rejection cleanly though. You don't even need permissions for the standard themes! It's only if you want the app to look for custom ones you've added yourself

This is weird, I can see what's crashing it but I have no idea why it's getting in that situation in the first place. Can't reproduce it either. What the hell!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

One potential interesting thing here is that, if I haven't given the "storage" permission or I turn it off, when the dialog pops up with the list of themes, the radio button by the current theme isn't "selected".

Unless the current theme is the top one, right? Somehow the backing values for the list aren't being filled along with the labels, which is interesting since they're done at exactly the same time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it's meant to handle permissions rejection cleanly though. You don't even need permissions for the standard themes! It's only if you want the app to look for custom ones you've added yourself

This is weird, I can see what's crashing it but I have no idea why it's getting in that situation in the first place. Can't reproduce it either. What the hell!

Unless the current theme is the top one, right? Somehow the backing values for the list aren't being filled along with the labels, which is interesting since they're done at exactly the same time

anroid

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Bad Llama posted:

Being able to make threads with this app would increase my shitposting potential by at least 70%

I'm not officially involved but I don't think this is going to happen until after NewForums Some Things Awful Version v.20.17.20 2017 Community Edition(tm) is released from Lowtax and the boys upstairs (zdr).

I've had luck with Naked Browser (minimalistic--not a sex thing) on Android and the official mobile interface on website SA. There's a free version on the Play Store

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

weak wrists big dick posted:

I'm not officially involved but I don't think this is going to happen until after NewForums Some Things Awful Version v.20.17.20 2017 Community Edition(tm) is released from Lowtax and the boys upstairs (zdr).

I've had luck with Naked Browser (minimalistic--not a sex thing) on Android and the official mobile interface on website SA. There's a free version on the Play Store

I can't go back from Awful.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Kind of a weird question: is there a way in the app to view the goon banner ads at the bottom of the regular forums page? I actually like them.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ok so feel free to laugh at me guys, but my Amazon Fire 7 tablet is looking like this. I've searched for a way to change the layout on it, but everything I've seen says I need to root it. Do y'all have any help?

quote:

My phone looks like this:

Your phone provides incorrect values and is handled as a tablet by the app because of it.
Go to setting -> device & navigation and change the layout to phone

Edit: NEVERMIND. I'm just dumb. It only shows that for the main forum view and combines it with my bookmarks. It's still weird as hell for me (I'm used to my phone), but the actual threads display just fine.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 6, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Can't you change it to phone layout in the settings? Does it still display in tablet mode?

Solenna posted:

Kind of a weird question: is there a way in the app to view the goon banner ads at the bottom of the regular forums page? I actually like them.

Not at the moment, but it would be good to be able to support you are forums

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Can't you change it to phone layout in the settings? Does it still display in tablet mode?

Not at the moment, but it would be good to be able to support you are forums

Not that I can see. I've gone through all the settings and haven't found any that let me change the layout. Google says I probably have to root it, but I can live with how it looks since the threads themselves are fine.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Not that I can see. I've gone through all the settings and haven't found any that let me change the layout. Google says I probably have to root it, but I can live with how it looks since the threads themselves are fine.

It's under Setttings -> Theme -> Layout

Edit: In Awfulapp itself, that is

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Daztek posted:

It's under Setttings -> Theme -> Layout

Edit: In Awfulapp itself, that is

Nah that's for theming the layout of posts (I guess this might be confusing huh)

Soysaucebeast posted where the setting is, Settings > Display and Navigation > Thread layout. It lets you pick tablet or phone layout, and on a smaller device it's greyed out and says you can't have tablet mode - it should default to the normal phone layout on that case. If it's not then that needs fixing

Man some of this stuff needs renaming

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 6, 2017

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

*makes a big mess*

"It's grown organically"

*makes the mess worse*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sounds like the Settings Settings was a good plan after all

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Nah that's for theming the layout of posts (I guess this might be confusing huh)

Soysaucebeast posted where the setting is, Settings > Display and Navigation > Thread layout. It lets you pick tablet or phone layout, and on a smaller device it's greyed out and says you can't have tablet mode - it should default to the normal phone layout on that case. If it's not then that needs fixing

Man some of this stuff needs renaming

Oh my God I'm an idiot. I thought I'd have to fiddle with settings on the tablet itself. I didn't realize that was a setting in the app. Christ I'm dumb sometimes. Thanks for the help though, guys!

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
why cant i post with this app yet, what the gently caress

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bad Llama posted:

why cant i post with this app yet, what the gently caress

Did you make the in-app purchase?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The app allows thread creation only from good posters by analyzing your prior posts. It is very advanced.
Of course that means if you can't post threads...

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you make the in-app purchase?

Joke aside I would totally be down to donate to the developer if there was an option.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you're the person with the username that begins with L whose app keeps crashing when you open it, clear your app data thanks!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Been using this forever, but finally decided to complain about my one gripe. I'm fairly sure that the time of all posts is off by an hour to my timezone. How do I adjust this?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Gozinbulx posted:

Been using this forever, but finally decided to complain about my one gripe. I'm fairly sure that the time of all posts is off by an hour to my timezone. How do I adjust this?

I find this happens on the regular site too and figured it was a radium thing, have you checked your non-app posts?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

On the website from a computer, User Control Panel > Edit Options, are these options set correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IIRC, that means you have to change the DST setting by hand twice a year.

If that's not the case, what's wrong is that it changes when the USA changes to DST, while this date actually differs per country/time zone (and is even reversed in the few southern hemisphere places that use DST).

Of course the correct solution is for the world to abolish DST.