Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I think it's pretty fascinating that, even at the beginning of all of this, people were genuinely angry that McCain would come back from his cancer treatments or whatever just to vote on repealing the ACA. And then his vote ends up being one of the deciding votes for keeping the ACA as it is, and everyone's suddenly changed their mind on him.

e: Like, there were people in the beginning saying "McCain's closer to moderate than people think, actually. There's a good chance he'll vote against the repeals as they are.", and anyone saying that was shouted down as being an idiot, at least in what I'd seen.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

oldpainless posted:

He actually died

Poor ol' Freckles, thought of base hits and died.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sarah Huckabee Sanders gets a lesson in why you shouldn't wear green on TV:

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/890735104758296576

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

I think it's pretty fascinating that, even at the beginning of all of this, people were genuinely angry that McCain would come back from his cancer treatments or whatever just to vote on repealing the ACA. And then his vote ends up being one of the deciding votes for keeping the ACA as it is, and everyone's suddenly changed their mind on him.

e: Like, there were people in the beginning saying "McCain's closer to moderate than people think, actually. There's a good chance he'll vote against the repeals as they are.", and anyone saying that was shouted down as being an idiot, at least in what I'd seen.

But none of this would have happened if McCain hadn't come back just to vote on opening the debate in the first place. He's getting credit for killing the monster he brought to life.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But none of this would have happened if McCain hadn't come back just to vote on opening the debate in the first place. He's getting credit for killing the monster he brought to life.

Oh, fair enough. I forgot that the vote on opening debate is what kicked this off. I'm dumb.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I like that Spicer's wearing a green tie in that last clip, really ties it all together.

(That said, wearing green on TV is fine if you know you're not going to be in front of a chroma-key backdrop, and you could really do that kind of editing with any solid color.)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

had to get one last handjob from the press

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

"You have to have insurance or pay a fine" was a line item the Republicans insisted be in the ACA to placate their insurance-company backers.

"The healthy people have to pay for the sick people" is how insurance works and has always worked.

Every day, Fox and Friends gets dumber.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good thing the president uses it as his main source of news.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/842481727419420674

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

SpacePig posted:

Oh, fair enough. I forgot that the vote on opening debate is what kicked this off. I'm dumb.

Now that it only requires a normal majority to proceed to debate and it can't be used as much by the minority to affect change on the bill, it seems necessary to block. Let it go to debate, then vote. Also, was the text of the 8 page bill only made available a few hours before voting? Thats dumb.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Besesoth posted:

I like that Spicer's wearing a green tie in that last clip, really ties it all together.

:crossarms:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Besesoth posted:

That said, wearing green on TV is fine if you know you're not going to be in front of a chroma-key backdrop, and you could really do that kind of editing with any solid color.

I was about to ask whether there was something special about the colour green that made, well, greenscreen a thing, so thanks!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

funmanguy posted:

Now that it only requires a normal majority to proceed to debate and it can't be used as much by the minority to affect change on the bill, it seems necessary to block. Let it go to debate, then vote. Also, was the text of the 8 page bill only made available a few hours before voting? Thats dumb.

The Republican senators literally (and I am not joking about this) wrote the text of the bill over lunch to have it ready for voting in the afternoon. Analysing the bill? Debating on it? What's that? :downs:

Also, I remember reading on these very forums (or maybe twitter? I forget) the following about McCain: "McCain is an eighty-year-old man who survived cancer once, and now has cancer again. This is very likely his last term in the Senate. He will never stand for re-election again. He doesn't have to worry about voting along party lines or anything like that. What he'll do until his term is up will tell you what kind of person he really is."

Very true, as it turns out.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CommissarMega posted:

I was about to ask whether there was something special about the colour green that made, well, greenscreen a thing, so thanks!

Green is typically used because the filters in modern digital cameras are more sensitive to green (mimicking the human eye), so the green channel has less noise than the red or blue channels and can produce cleaner mattes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

While what he did was probably to receive a handjob from the press, I'm not going to argue the end result.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Besesoth posted:

"You have to have insurance or pay a fine" was a line item the Republicans insisted be in the ACA to placate their insurance-company backers.

"The healthy people have to pay for the sick people" is how insurance works and has always worked.

Every day, Fox and Friends gets dumber.

Seriously, the "healthy people have to pay for the sick people" line always gets me. THAT'S LITERALLY HOW INSURANCE WORKS YOU DOLTS! So many people seem to think that it's something you're paying into like a retirement account and you're just withdrawing when you get sick.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CommissarMega posted:

They picked up on Blue because of some physical property of film makes the blue layer less grainy than Red or Green, and thus would provide a cleaner cutout. Green is used with digital film usually because Green is sampled twice as often as blue, which provides a cleaner cut out for digital film. They're both used because they're complementary to human skintone and thus have the least likelihood of having people's faces become partially transparent. But if you have a strong uniform hue you can theoretically chromakey with any color.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

SpacePig posted:

he's now released a statement saying he only voted no because the bill didn't go far enough

AlmightyBob has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Jul 28, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"didn't go far enough" in the sense that he wants them to actually have a replacement ready to go that actually hits the points they say they want to hit. Not just repealing Obamacare for the sake of looking good to Poppa Trump.

e: I mean this might just be a platitude to his conservative base, but he does say that he wants Democrats to actually be okay with it and not just force through a partisan bill because they can. :shrug:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

McCain says a lot of things, last night he refused to say how he was voting and told reporters to "watch the show"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://gfycat.com/ConcreteInsistentGroundbeetle

http://i.imgur.com/RaVmRoP.gifv

http://abcnews4.com/news/crime-news/video-woman-tries-to-rob-ladson-mcdonalds-with-knife-from-drive-thru-window

http://i.imgur.com/tjXAsQs.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/UPNjJe6.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/uV0Z6HQ.gifv

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BASE jumping is so loving dangerous

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

What was he doing? "Look ma no hands?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It's great that the video keeps going so we get to see their reactions :v:

Kurieg posted:

He was squeezing the water out of his gloves

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was squeezing the water out of his gloves

Yeah but there's no reason to do it like that, right in front of your field of view, except to show off to your gopro. If it's raining hard enough that you need to squeeze the water out of your gloves it's raining hard enough that you should really be riding more carefully.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Kurieg posted:

"didn't go far enough" in the sense that he wants them to actually have a replacement ready to go that actually hits the points they say they want to hit. Not just repealing Obamacare for the sake of looking good to Poppa Trump.

e: I mean this might just be a platitude to his conservative base, but he does say that he wants Democrats to actually be okay with it and not just force through a partisan bill because they can. :shrug:

exactly, if we take his words at face value, he wants something that is palatable for everyone on both sides and actually delivers, whatever that solution might be

my guess is he's not gonna outright say anything that might toe too far from THE MARKET KNOWS BEST but his emphasis on not just scrapping for the sake of scrapping without having any viable alternative is heartening, to say the least

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Kurieg posted:

he's obviously draining his gloves (which is still stupid, you dont have to do it in front of the camera dumbass)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe he was testing some new gloves that were supposed to be waterproof but he was showing the camera that they were waterlogged?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe he was testing some new gloves that were supposed to be waterproof but he was showing the camera that they were waterlogged?

Yeah, might be this. Still, he could do it at home with a hose :D losing focus while riding a bike in those conditions is reaalllyy bad

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I should probably stop trying to make sense of these dashcam crash videos, it's a fool's errand

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AlmightyBob posted:

McCain says a lot of things, last night he refused to say how he was voting and told reporters to "watch the show"

If I learned anything from Top Gun, it's that mavericks like an audience.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

orange sky posted:

losing focus while riding a bike in those conditions is reaalllyy bad

alternately

orange sky posted:

losing focus while riding a bike in those conditions is reaalllyy bad

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I imagine most people are not keen on watching someone die, but:
1. This guy was very old.
2. It's a nazi.

https://twitter.com/xbCC0981LdF25kD/status/884747826382725120

Edit:
"a heartfelt speech"
https://twitter.com/BKforBernie/status/890966719317123072

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jul 28, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

2. It's a nazi.

Edit:
"a heartfelt speech"

"How'd the speech go, Gramps?"
"Killed it!"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Is it sad that I get a lot of my political news from the schadenfreude thread?

It's usually the most satisfying place to find out.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

2. It's a nazi.

Edit:
"a heartfelt speech"

lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
He'll never be the head of a major corp- no wait poo poo that's not the right joke at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Mikl posted:

The Republican senators literally (and I am not joking about this) wrote the text of the bill over lunch to have it ready for voting in the afternoon. Analysing the bill? Debating on it? What's that? :downs:

Also, I remember reading on these very forums (or maybe twitter? I forget) the following about McCain: "McCain is an eighty-year-old man who survived cancer once, and now has cancer again. This is very likely his last term in the Senate. He will never stand for re-election again. He doesn't have to worry about voting along party lines or anything like that. What he'll do until his term is up will tell you what kind of person he really is."

Very true, as it turns out.

The House also enacted martial law so they could vote on it immediately if it passed. They were doing everything they could to try to sneak it through and still failed.