Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nothus posted:

Trump and the rest of the GOP can't get any legislation through Congress so now it's time to distract the rubes by stoking white race panic.

MS13 is a real thing in Long Island and a real problem - they've killed a number of people recently. I doubt it's likely to improve by Trump blathering racial hate all around, because the way to defeat gangs is to increase the trust of the community they are drawn from, so that ordinary people are not afraid to report crimes/testify in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What is the current state of Trump's rallies, anyway? Are they still drawing the crowds they used to? Has attendance plummeted?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

hell yeah

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
That guy looks so old that I think they could probably drop the "Neo" part of "Neo-Nazi."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BarbarianElephant posted:

MS13 is a real thing in Long Island and a real problem - they've killed a number of people recently. I doubt it's likely to improve by Trump blathering racial hate all around, because the way to defeat gangs is to increase the trust of the community they are drawn from, so that ordinary people are not afraid to report crimes/testify in court.

And what better way to make sure that people come forward with information than to deport every illegal alien who does.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pollyanna posted:

What is the current state of Trump's rallies, anyway? Are they still drawing the crowds they used to? Has attendance plummeted?

He doesn't have them that often
I mean, way more than anyone should, because they should do 0, but it would be hard to determine

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

This guy sounds exactly like Martin Scorsese.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I love you guys, thank you!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Speaking of close Feingold should've won his race, it's unreal that the Dems let that one go.

Ron Johnson is literally a moron and is doing nothing to help his state, Feingold should've walked away with that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

40k Boy Scouts attended his last rally.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pollyanna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1_-1gVZX0

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/890963195736862721

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

"US Senator John McCain casting his 'yes' vote to repeal the Affordable Care Act (June 20th 2018, Colorized)"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Senate: Language protecting state legalization of medical weed added to appropriations bill. Is this likely to go anywhere? And how mad is Sessions now?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 28, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I like this. It's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

is ms13 actually a thing

quote:

MS-13 members: Trump makes the gang stronger
On Long Island, some fear crackdown on immigrants is emboldening violent street gang
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/28/us/ms-13-gang-long-island-trump/index.html

Yes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

haveblue posted:

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Senate: Language protecting state legalization of weed added to appropriations bill. Is this likely to go anywhere? And how mad is Sessions now?

Nowhere, it's a show amendment. In practice, disentangling the weird nullification thing states are doing with marijuana is going to be a huge mess for the whole administrative structure.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

BarbarianElephant posted:

Trump doesn't give a poo poo about increasing community trust and engagement to fight gang influence. He's going there to frighten old white people with Mexican boogeymen.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

At the Polish one, the entire supportive crowd was bused in. I'm sure that this has never happened domestically (too many nitwits who actually support him) but apparently, it's in the playbook.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Drone strike Long Island you loving coward.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

EatinCake posted:

I was in the senate gallery last night. No one was expecting that, & man is it surreal seeing all of the senators together.

I don't know if it's getting much coverage, but McConnell's speech after the vote was directed entirely to Republicans. He never once faced the Dem's, even as he talked about 'ok, what are your ideas' & poked fun at the "horrors" of European health care. Only let them see his back.

When Chuck Schumer stood up to give his remarks, I don't think I saw him look up at him once either.

There's that, but also you can get kicked out of the gallery for cheering. There are really strict rules on behavior there, & doing things like clapping are grounds for removal. Heck, during Session's confirmation a lady got arrested for laughing. She recently got off those charges I believe, but depending on the Sergent at Arms, the rules are pretty strict.

How'd you get into the gallery? Just got an ordinary pass?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Grimdude posted:

So what's the quick and dirty response to this bullshit? I've already seen 2 reiterations of it and I'm loving done with these "friends."

Don't listen to the people in this thread telling you to tell the guy to gently caress off. Post a response, but do it knowing you're not trying to convince him, but any undecided who comes across the post. He's a lost cause, but other people silently following the arguments may not be.

Here are a few points:
- The difference between gender dysphoria and transgenderism (i.e. being transgender does not automatically lead to gender dysphoria)
- Trump never consulted the military: http://thehill.com/policy/defense/344290-mattis-appalled-by-trump-tweets-announcing-transgender-military-ban-report
- Trump misunderstood what Ryan was talking about : http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/26/trump-transgender-military-ban-behind-the-scenes-240990

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never post a response to these people because then post I'm responding to will show up on my wall and more people will see it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Nowhere, it's a show amendment. In practice, disentangling the weird nullification thing states are doing with marijuana is going to be a huge mess for the whole administrative structure.

I wouldn't call it dead, the DOJ's hands are already legislatively tied on cracking down on medical marijuana, this would just reinforce that and make it stronger, and it did pass committee, so its no longer just an amendment, its in the bill now and would have to be removed.

It isn't saying weed is now OK federally, they are just prohibiting Sessions and the DOJ from spending any money to do anything about it in states where its legal.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Nothus posted:

Trump doesn't give a poo poo about increasing community trust and engagement to fight gang influence. He's going there to frighten old white people with Mexican boogeymen.

Why would you think that just because he's speaking at a majority white area outside the minority majority Brentwood about the horrors or illegal immigrants killing your daughters?

This was wrong, he is speaking at the Brentwood campus.

farraday fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 28, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I never post a response to these people because then post I'm responding to will show up on my wall and more people will see it.

I don't think you can successfully "win" on Facebook, no matter what you do. Social media platforms are machines built to polarize and simplify. They're where nuance, debate, and open minds go to die.

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!

Nothus posted:

Another growing problem is that local immigrants are not speaking up about MS13 crimes because of a fear of deportation, real threat or not, especially with the retoric from ol' Trump himself. Parts of LI are particularly vulnerable, but yeah there's also a lot of scared ignorant white people that feed off of Trump. You'll hear alot about Brentwood and Central Islip with this.

It always upsets me how Long Island is not as progressive as it should be. I had to sever friendships from high school because their biases came out hardcore, especially nowadays.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Don't worry, our governor is making sure those pesky liberals won't be winning again anytime soon.
http://www.wmur.com/article/aclu-nh-mulls-constitutional-challenge-of-voting-bill-signed-by-sununu/10291274

SB3 makes it harder for people to vote, especially those who are likely to vote liberal (college students, poor people working round the clock, etc). He also once claimed that MA was sending busloads of people across the border to vote Democrat in this last election.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Don't listen to the people in this thread telling you to tell the guy to gently caress off. Post a response, but do it knowing you're not trying to convince him, but any undecided who comes across the post. He's a lost cause, but other people silently following the arguments may not be.

Here are a few points:
- The difference between gender dysphoria and transgenderism (i.e. being transgender does not automatically lead to gender dysphoria)
- Trump never consulted the military: http://thehill.com/policy/defense/344290-mattis-appalled-by-trump-tweets-announcing-transgender-military-ban-report
- Trump misunderstood what Ryan was talking about : http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/26/trump-transgender-military-ban-behind-the-scenes-240990

One of the biggest misinformed assumptions from these people is that every trans person gets surgery and is out of service for a year. A very high number don't have surgery, and are simply on HRT. Which does not affect your ability to perform at the expected level of a cis man or a cis woman, depending if you are on Testosterone or Estrogen. Not every trans person has dysphoria related to their genitals.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

the black husserl posted:

I don't think you can successfully "win" on Facebook, no matter what you do. Social Media Platforms are machines built to polarize and simplify. They're where nuance, debate, and open minds go to die.

Unless you join some of the debate groups. (They still end up being pretty iffy.)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

the black husserl posted:

I don't think you can successfully "win" on Facebook, no matter what you do. Social media platforms are machines built to polarize and simplify. They're where nuance, debate, and open minds go to die.

I won the day I deactivated my account

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

from the vote last night

i know why mccain and murkowski voted no (or at least why they said they did), but why did sen. collins vote no? anyone have any insight on that?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grimdude posted:

So what's the quick and dirty response to this bullshit? I've already seen 2 reiterations of it and I'm loving done with these "friends."

This guy doesn't know what being transgender is or how it's medically classified. It is not seen a disorder and hasn't been for a long-rear end time. Gender Dysphoria is a disorder and involves mental discomfort and stress over your gender, but it doesn't affect everyone who is transgender.

He also doesn't know that the US Military didn't want or ask for this. In fact, General Mattis, the secretary of defense, recently took a very public stance that LGBT should allowed to serve, and that the military will cover medical expenses related to being transgender. Trump pulled this out of his rear end after consulting NO ONE, and the Pentagon and DoD were taken by surprise.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 28, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Grimdude posted:

The thing that drives me crazy about these people is they'll shut down any input from civilians because "you don't know how the military works" but feel the need to defend Donald "good soldiers don't get captured" Trump's alzheimer's-laden tweet to the death, despite being 100% contrary to the official stance of the military.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I hope no one is taking light the impact MS13 has because lol Trump.

They have networks in most of the states, as well as Canada and Central America, inside and outside prisons. They have their hands in everything (murders, drug/human trafficking, etc). In Central America, they help other cartels move/distribute their supplies.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

from the vote last night

i know why mccain and murkowski voted no (or at least why they said they did), but why did sen. collins vote no? anyone have any insight on that?

Collins was against cuts to PP.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This is why I stopped arguing about this stuff over Facebook and had to cull some of my friends list. My trans friends have to deal with enough grief and they shouldn't have to read it on my Facebook wall.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/890983488710750209

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

from the vote last night

Collins has voted no on every repeal bill, even the 2015 repeal that everyone else voted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
MS13 is real but it's hard to say specifically how real. There's been a major push between local prosecutors and ice to tag crime involving central and south American immigrant populations with that brush. It is real, but they try real hard to cast cases that way, and they're dishonest people.

• Locked thread