Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

TBeats posted:

My point is people need to assume the lovely candidate will win and approach it from that perspective, rather than assuming the lack of ability or absurdity of a candidate being reason enough that they should/will lose.

"He could win but his chances aren't as good as he thinks" is setting yourself up for another stupid election.

"He definitely will win" is how it should be approached.

I 100% agree. People didn't take Trump seriously until it was far too late, and allowed themselves to get complacent. Any rear end in a top hat celebrity candidate needs to be treated seriously and ground to the loving dirt before they can get any kind of momentum, or else you're inviting another disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Head of Neo-Nazi group in Ukraine died in the middle of his speech today:

https://twitter.com/xbCC0981LdF25kD/status/884747826382725120

died doing what he loved, beautiful :angel:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

A good start.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Good.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

*Extended discussion of people dying in front of cameras*
:smith:
*Nazi dies in front of a camera*
:unsmith:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

shame on an IGA posted:

*Extended discussion of people dying in front of cameras*
:smith:
*Nazi dies in front of a camera*
:unsmith:

Nazis aren't people.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Raerlynn posted:

Nazis aren't people.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Say what you will about Putin, but he does have style. The Trolling Gap between Russia and the US is rapidly becoming insurmountable.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well we've got our first Democratic candidate for president for 2020...

https://twitter.com/JohnKDelaney/status/890982917748510720

Lived in his district for a while, met him once. Nice guy, but come on. It's way too early for this poo poo.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Pistols at dawn

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
uhh the zuck has been running for awhile now

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Buzzfeed is reporting that a Russian media czar, who died in a Washington, DC hotel room back in 2015, was actually beaten to death in an assassination rather than being drunk and falling over repeatedly, or as they call it in Russia, natural causes.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasonleopold/putins-media-czar-was-murdered-just-before-meeting-feds?utm_term=.wxZPYqkgV#.omP1zDEak

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pistols at dawn

Before Reince knew what was happening, Mooch leaned in and kissed him.

Reince’s mind had never felt like this before. It was beyond racing. He wasn’t even thinking anymore. All he was conscious of was Mooch’s warm body leaning into his, their lips and tongues meeting for the first time.

Mooch reached up and ran one of his hands through Reince’s hair as they continued kissing. His other was placed firmly on Reince’s thigh. Reince had no idea how long they sat like that. Time had stopped in his mind.

Then, suddenly, Mooch was standing. He grabbed one of Reince’s hands and looked at him. He smirked, tugged Reince’s hand, and nodded to the bed.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pistols at dawn

Mooch looks like he's readjusting after taking a piss in the yard just outside that door.

Also the man refers to himself as The Mooch. Next week Snooki and The Situation are guest starring on Real World: DC.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pistols at dawn

Always wondered what an oval office access badge looked like

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pistols at dawn

Mooch here is my nomination for "biggest douchebag pose of the year" for now at least. The year is young so I'm sure someone will surprise me but just seeing him standing in a picture makes me think he has a copy of every 80's self help 'power play' book lodged in his colon. Watching him talk on video is just loving awful, every movement is distilled, pure douchebaggery that leads to idiotic poo poo like Donald's 'alpha male' yank and crank handshakes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

Always wondered what an oval office access badge looked like

:vince: drat

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

TBeats posted:

How does this impact tax reform?

And when people say healthcare is 1/6th of the economy, is there a chart that shows what the other 5/6ths are?

Largely its just a stupid catch phrase.

This chart shows the budget numbers, which make it actually closer to 1/5 to 1/4 if you use our budget spending as the economy.

If you are looking at it from what Americans actually spend their paychecks on... The Commonwealth Fund did a study that came up with an average of 10.1%. But as you would expect, that number varies wildly when you break it down by economic class.

Just depends on how you want to define the economy.

suboptimal posted:

Buzzfeed is reporting that a Russian media czar, who died in a Washington, DC hotel room back in 2015, was actually beaten to death in an assassination rather than being drunk and falling over repeatedly, or as they call it in Russia, natural causes.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasonleopold/putins-media-czar-was-murdered-just-before-meeting-feds?utm_term=.wxZPYqkgV#.omP1zDEak

Too be fair. Death by being drunk and falling over repeatedly is a natural death for Russians. But yea. That dude was totally smoked by a Russian hit team.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

CommieGIR posted:

So much for the master race

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

TBeats posted:

And when people say healthcare is 1/6th of the economy, is there a chart that shows what the other 5/6ths are?

My boy Sessions says he knows where the other 3/5ths are, but I don't know if that helps.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TBeats posted:

Genocide Tendency posted:

Largely its just a stupid catch phrase.

This chart shows the budget numbers, which make it actually closer to 1/5 to 1/4 if you use our budget spending as the economy.

If you are looking at it from what Americans actually spend their paychecks on... The Commonwealth Fund did a study that came up with an average of 10.1%. But as you would expect, that number varies wildly when you break it down by economic class.

Just depends on how you want to define the economy.

The 1/6 number comes from the ~17% of the GDP spent on healthcare in the US*.

Here's** a breakdown of the US economy by industry. This figure includes 7.4% of GDP on 'Health care and social assistance', which I believe excludes pharmaceuticals, administrative costs (insurance), and public healthcare spending.

*http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.TOTL.ZS?year_high_desc=true
**https://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm?ReqID=51&step=1#reqid=51&step=51&isuri=1&5114=a&5102=1

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

Republicantearsofrage.avi

This is reminiscent of some of the arguments made by republicans duing the hearings and voting in November and December of '09.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/aaronmehta/status/890989255115382785

Good news everybody

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

"bailing out insurance companies with no reform is not something I want to be part of, what are they, banks?"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bit of a distance between those two targets.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/891005850420224001

:catstare:

The president just advocated for more police brutality. I'm not surprised, I'm just angry.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

psydude posted:

They meant North Yolo County

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Terrible Robot posted:

:catstare:

The president just advocated for more police brutality. I'm not surprised, I'm just angry.

Expect police commissioners across the country to denounce his speech, just like the Boy Scouts had to do.

Also expect police officers on trial to say "the president said I could do it your honor."

Also expect lawsuits. Lots and lots and lots and lots of lawsuits.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

facialimpediment posted:

Also expect lawsuits. Lots and lots and lots and lots of lawsuits.

I feel like this is the one thing that would make higher ups actually turn around and say "Uhh, maybe don't listen to this advice."

But it hasn't stopped it yet, so :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This may actually result in cases being dismissed against suspects. Trump not only encouraged police brutality, he just hosed the prosecutors.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Expect police commissioners across the country to denounce his speech, just like the Boy Scouts had to do.

I am not expecting this.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Best Friends posted:

I am not expecting this.

A few departments have told him to get hosed in the past.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

Not really, earth is round, North Korea is shooting in a lopsided arc over alaska

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Mooch's wife just filed for divorce due to Trump stuff.

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/28/anthony-scaramuccis-wife-files-for-divorce/

I know it's Page Six, but still funny as hell.

quote:

Anthony Scaramucci, the White House’s potty-mouthed new communications director, has been dumped by his beautiful blonde wife because of his “naked political ambition,” multiple sources exclusively tell Page Six.

Deidre Ball, who worked as a vice president in investor relations for SkyBridge Capital, the firm he founded in 2005 and sold to ascend to the White House, has filed for divorce from “The Mooch” after three years of marriage after getting fed up with his ruthless quest to get close to President Trump, whom she despises.

One source told Page Six, “Deidre has left him and has filed for divorce. She liked the nice Wall Street life and their home on Long Island, not the insane world of D.C. She is tired of his naked ambition, which is so enormous that it left her at her wits’ end. She has left him even though they have two children together.”

Scaramucci and Ball, 38, began dating in 2011 and are believed to have married in 2014.

The source said that the Wall Street financier, 52, had been “hell-bent” on reclaiming his position at the White House after he was originally pegged for a senior role and sold SkyBridge Capital in preparation in January.

But he was blocked by Reince Priebus, Trump’s chief of staff. But, after an aggressive campaign, Scaramucci was made communications director on June 21 by Trump, prompting Sean Spicer to quit.

A second source close to Scaramucci — who has alternately not been wearing his wedding ring, or has been sporting it on his right hand — said the former couple had fought over his loyalty to Trump. This was his second marriage and Ball was noticeably not present at his recent SALT conference in mid-May.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

Not really, earth is round, North Korea is shooting in a lopsided arc over alaska

Great circle distance difference between San Diego and NYC is 700 miles.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/891036120573726720

:lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

loving perfect!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ok so I'm unclear on what a next push would be for healthcare reform. From what I've read, the GOP can't push it under reconciliation rules meaning that need 60 votes, which means at least several democrats need to vote yes on anything.

How off am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

cowboy elvis posted:

Ok so I'm unclear on what a next push would be for healthcare reform. From what I've read, the GOP can't push it under reconciliation rules meaning that need 60 votes, which means at least several democrats need to vote yes on anything.

How off am I?

That sounds about right. IIRC, they get one reconciliation vote a year or something like that. So now they basically have painted themselves into a corner and won't be able to do this again for a while. They're also kinda hosed on any tax reform they wanted to pull off since it looks like now that won't be doable till next year, before midterms.

I mean they can still do some ugly poo poo to healthcare, but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

• Locked thread