Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Man I love this game but holy poo poo are they handling everything wrong. On the plus side, I got like 250 comment karma on Reddit so I can spam my videos there for more views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Also I got banned from the official PUBG discord for insinuating that the community managers barely achieved their high school educations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Stuntman posted:

On the other hand, streaming makes you a giant douche who deserves anything that happens to them as a result of their stream.

You seem really upset about people who do something you don't.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Also I got banned from the official PUBG discord for insinuating that the community managers barely achieved their high school educations.

You got banned for speaking the truth.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

I agree with you. I don't really have sympathy for the streamers. I just like thinking about solutions to dumb problems.

As for that slyvinlisha post -
"If you don't want to be grieved turn matchmaking off" actually means team killers shouldn't be banned. You should just turn matchmaking off. ::psyduck::

It means that queueing up for matchmaking with the "add a lovely pubbie or two to my squad" -option enabled opens you up to playing with people that might tk you, you can play squad games with 1-4 people in the squad, so you there isn't anything forcing you to play with whatever retard the matchmaking would have you put up with, and the surefire method of not having a random pubbie tk you is to not play with a random pubbie in the first place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kamikaze Raider posted:

You seem really upset about people who do something you don't.
I'm upset about them making the game worse because of devs tiptoeing around them. I would rather they didn't exist than deal with pandering to them.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Stuntman posted:

On the other hand, streaming makes you a giant douche who deserves anything that happens to them as a result of their stream.

Lmao what kind of post is this? Are you just jealous that you don't have 10,000 people watching you play PUBG every night?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Man I love this game but holy poo poo are they handling everything wrong. On the plus side, I got like 250 comment karma on Reddit so I can spam my videos there for more views.

r/pubattlegrounds has quickly turned into one of the worst subreddits that I tend to look at. Before the TK thing it was full of funny poo poo and tips and now it's just a constant circle jerk about insanely stupid poo poo that at least 90% of the people that own this game don't know or care about. To be fair, the people involved with the game aren't helping anything, but god drat it has gone downhill in even the short time I've been going there.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

fknlo posted:

r/pubattlegrounds has quickly turned into one of the worst subreddits that I tend to look at. Before the TK thing it was full of funny poo poo and tips and now it's just a constant circle jerk about insanely stupid poo poo that at least 90% of the people that own this game don't know or care about. To be fair, the people involved with the game aren't helping anything, but god drat it has gone downhill in even the short time I've been going there.

It's almost like the voting system encourages the worst people have to offer, in a similar parallel to the 24-hour news cycle that feeds off manufactured outrage and controversy.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm upset about them making the game worse because of devs tiptoeing around them. I would rather they didn't exist than deal with pandering to them.

I mean I guess if it bothers you on a personal level okay then. But in general twitch/streaming/streamers are a major concern for any new video game, and making changes or implementing a new feature to keep streamers happy has a huge return on investment for the development team.

Sorry but streaming = good.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Streaming as a career choice is kinda fascinating to me. Like, kudos to people who do it well and lord knows if you blow up you can make a very healthy income. But a lot of the well known streamers only stay relevant because they stream 6-7 days a week for 8-10 hours a day and if you don't play the "hot" game and get good at it, you risk losing your viewer base. All that adds up to a situation that seems pretty untenable in the long-term. And then when you do decide you're tired of it, what marketable skills have you really gained?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody gives a poo poo about streaming but banning somebody for killing a streamer is grade A 100% bullshit.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
having a few hundres thousand hours experience in broadcasting your self and community management should probably be marketable. also lots of people who stream video games get sponsors and many connections from those sponsors as well as other people in bideo games broadcast communities

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fargom posted:

I mean I guess if it bothers you on a personal level okay then. But in general twitch/streaming/streamers are a major concern for any new video game, and making changes or implementing a new feature to keep streamers happy has a huge return on investment for the development team.

Sorry but streaming = good.

Hmm yes catering to a small fickle minority of your player base who will eventually ditch your game to glom on to the next hot game to stream is a good thing. Checks out.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you really cared about stream sniping as a streamer you could easily set up a delay but that's not my business

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Asema posted:

if you really cared about stream sniping as a streamer you could easily set up a delay but that's not my business

It's not that simple when a big part of a streamers success is their interactions with the fans. The delay is very bad for those interactions.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Asema posted:

Comments like this just completely prove that a lot of people have no idea why streamers are successful.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fletcher posted:

It's not that simple when a big part of a streamers success is their interactions with the fans. The delay is very bad for those interactions.

fargom posted:

Comments like this just completely prove that a lot of people have no idea why streamers are successful.

Phew lads let me tell you how a 15-30 second delay won't kill you interacting with the fans, but sure.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think we should just get imaqtpie's thought process behind this hot topic

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

watching streamers is like the anime of video games. the desperation to prove it's normal is palpable

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you get 1,000 people watching you and you aren't interacting with poo poo in the chat, you are interacting with what's happening on screen and your donation/sub alert. gently caress off with this "delay will kill interaction" bullshit.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

fletcher posted:

What interaction is there in this game? Are they doing a chat vote of which house to raid next?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't understand how it even hurts interaction. The stream says "jump" and you obey but they don't see it for 15 seconds? It's not like you have to delay your voice along with the game video - just delay the gameplay footage.

Mastercasual
Aug 2, 2013
Streamers need to play the game audio only, boom, problem solved, no more stream sniping.
Seriously though is stream sniping that big of a problem it's not like anyone is breaking the game.
"Oh no I died in a multiplayer game because I'm recording myself live on the internet" - Twitch Baby Boy

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How to avoid stream sniping 101 as perfected by MOBA Streamers:

Go to a single player game to play and queue after a period of random time off screen.

How to avoid potential stream sniping knowledge as perfected by SC2/MOBA players:

Cover up the mini-map

Battlegrounds being delayed won't affect your interaction with fans because again, once you get over 500 or so you aren't interacting with each individual person in the chat. You are entertaining and interacting with what you are streaming and your donation/sub alert that pops up. Which should be automatic in that lovely text to voice speech we've grown to love.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

I don't understand how it even hurts interaction. The stream says "jump" and you obey but they don't see it for 15 seconds? It's not like you have to delay your voice along with the game video - just delay the gameplay footage.

I'm fine with stream sniping and I also think streamers who aren't should delay their streams but just FYI: twitch streams are all delayed a minimum of ~8 seconds for technical reasons and that's not nearly enough to avoid giving enemies valuable info. It'd need to be at least a couple minutes (and maybe more to cover some specific situations) to really make stream sniping fruitless.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
Finally got my chicken dinner, with 3 kills (the last two plus one guy before that), few failed attempts to run over people with the motorbike and armed with an UMP. Could've gotten an AR from my first kill but was too stupid to understand that in the moment. The circles zeroed in on the castle ruins which was nice and fine. :)

I think out of these 130 or so games I've seen rain once, what's up with that?

hawowanlawow posted:

watching streamers is like the anime of video games. the desperation to prove it's normal is palpable

Truthfully yours, old resentful man of the forums

edit: I today tried watching a Twitch-stream of some fat guy playing duos, it was named "try hard duos" or something, and then his wife brought him food and he started nibbling on it and eventually shut off the facecam and was like "no gently caress you take the lead i'm eating man" and it felt like a huge disrespectful waste of time. Acting like watching streamers is some strange underground phenomenon is goony as gently caress tho

jvilmi fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 28, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
being banned for stream sniping is the dumbest loving thing even if you have proof that it happened, meanwhile if you get tked when you do squads or duos you need a video of the entire loving match to report the idiot who tked you.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

fargom posted:

im glad we're blessed with famed twitch caster fargom (w/ his 4 viewers (3 of them his mom)) to lay down for us the reality of twitch stardom

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
But if they delay their stream then people will have to wait 15 seconds to be thanked/reminded for subscribing/donating and that would kill viewer interaction!

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

i made a funny but the streamer hehe 45 seconds later which killed my comedic timing gently caress twitch

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Asema posted:

Phew lads let me tell you how a 15-30 second delay won't kill you interacting with the fans, but sure.

It actually makes a big difference. Awhile back twitch streams used to have like a 2-3 second delay so it was drat near realtime. They switched up their architecture and then there was like a 30 second delay, and there was a huge backlash since it had such a negative impact on streamers interacting with fans.

Twitch even came out with an option called "Stream Delay", here's the description:

quote:

If interaction with chat is a focus for your stream, we encourage you to try the Reduced Delay option. Viewers will see your reaction to their messages sooner, but some of them - especially those with poor connections - will be more likely to experience buffering.

ChesterJT posted:

What interaction is there in this game? Are they doing a chat vote of which house to raid next?

All sorts of things, watch a stream and see for yourself.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

i made a funny but the streamer hehe 45 seconds later which killed my comedic timing gently caress twitch

God drat why do all of your posts in this thread have to suck so bad

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
LMAO at people who think that every successful twitch streamer is wrong about a delay hurting their ability to interact and build their channels. Like yeah, random goon #3132132 says that it doesn't hurt so all these twitch guys must be wrong.

Man I think some of you guys are just really mad that some people enjoy things you don't.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I went to Streamer University and hold a PHD in Streaming. Ask me about Streaming.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

seriously it's just like anime

Nathan Wind
Nov 10, 2003
starring NATHAN WIND as COCHESE
I like how earlier we were giving Grimmz poo poo for covering his minimap and screen until he landed and now everybody is saying if streamers don't want to be sniped they should cover the minimap and the screen until they land.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I %100 believe that a 30 second delay could hurt some Twitch streamers interaction with their fan base, but I don't care. This game shouldn't cater to such a small minority and open up a flawed system of user reporting for abuse. If you're a Twitch streamer just accept that it happens and don't be such a whiny baby.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A lot of the successful streamers narrate what they are doing, as they do it. If their voice is now out of sync with what they are doing, the narration does not make any sense. This is not a good experience for the viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I dunno, I'm 31 and streaming seems to be a thing that kids have gotten into. In my day people played the video games instead of watching people play video games.

Except for Let's Plays, those were protostreaming I guess. Some of those were okay.

Seriously though, I don't give a poo poo about streaming or if people watch them. It's a literal non-issue.

• Locked thread