Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Square were determined to keep the ghost of PS1 games alive by making 3D DS games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Think I'm gonna install the FF9 high-res background mod and start a new game when I get home. All this FF9 talk has me ready to enjoy the chillest FF.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this. Its quite smudgy but its not like it looks great without filters either so maybe the lesser of two evils.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this. Its quite smudgy but its not like it looks great without filters either so maybe the lesser of two evils.

Yeah, I haven't actually seen it in practice yet, so we'll see how it works out. I've heard that it sometimes just looks like bad Photoshop filters, which would be a step down even from the low-res default backgrounds. But it's worth a shot.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I know I'm a broken record here but come on, SE should just make another FF like FF9 that's a big throwback to the old games. There hasn't been a traditional turn based FF since what, X-2? I guess XIII was kinda like that but it was completely on rails so people hated it. Next time, just go back to their roots and make a game that could have been on the PS1/PS2 but has pretty modern graphics.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd absolutely love that, personally. I'm pessimistic about the likelihood of a high-budget console Final Fantasy going back to the PS1/PS2 gameplay style, but if that happened I'd be quite happy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know I'm a broken record here but come on, SE should just make another FF like FF9 that's a big throwback to the old games. There hasn't been a traditional turn based FF since what, X-2? I guess XIII was kinda like that but it was completely on rails so people hated it. Next time, just go back to their roots and make a game that could have been on the PS1/PS2 but has pretty modern graphics.

World of Final Fantasy is basically a game full of references to the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd rather see them keep trying new things, even if they don't always land for me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
APPEAL TO MY NOSTALGIA

I will ignore literally everything but the mainline games to force others into my world

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah I want their main series to keep trying new stuff.

Stuff like WoFF and Bravely keep that old formula stuff well with some good twists.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

Wakka is maybe the worst party member ever, personality wise

Even Zell was better

gently caress you wakka is the best

the only bad thing about his localization is that they tried to capture the heart of the hce speaker but they just didn't do enough field world so they kinda split it between hawaiian creole english with a jamaican accent

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Raxivace posted:

I'd rather see them keep trying new things, even if they don't always land for me.

Same. I think that they mix it up is a strength.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I think I'm a little burned out on that, if only because the last couple of single-player Final Fantasies really didn't land for me, one way or another. Hell, we're basically at a point where "going back to your roots" is trying something new.

That said, I should probably point out that the parts of the recent FFs that didn't work for me don't generally focus on the gameplay, and are probably more likely the fault of how the games were developed and/or the designers' priorities. For example, I actually really like FFXIII's combat and I would've loved to see them expand on it, because I don't think enough of the fights in FFXIII itself actually let the combat shine. But XIII-2 let the system shine even less, and Lightning Returns did something completely different. FFXV's gameplay isn't really its problem, either--rather, it's the almost entirely botched execution of the story, no matter how good the narrative might sound in summary.

I expect they're going to continue to never do the same thing twice, at least for another installment or two, but I at least hope they manage to iron out the production issues that have caused the last couple of main-line, non-MMO installments to turn out the way they did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I really liked the DS remake of 4.

Was starting to think I was the only one insane enough to like that. It's hard, yeah, but I loved it because it's practically a whole new game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

APPEAL TO MY NOSTALGIA

I will ignore literally everything but the mainline games to force others into my world

World of Final Fantasy doesn't appeal to me at all, even though it's clearly a nostalgia bomb, so clearly nostalgia isn't all I'm after. (Hell, I get all I need from FFXIV anyway.)

It's just... there's a style of gameplay that I like from some of those older games and they're not making it anymore. Is it really so irrational to want more of it?

Golden Goat posted:

Stuff like WoFF and Bravely keep that old formula stuff well with some good twists.

I loved Bravely Default but really, really didn't like Bravely Second, and I think it probably came entirely down to the fact that Bravely Second's balance is just entirely hosed up in comparison even to Bravely Default. I think Second's balance issues kind of get papered over by the fact that you have so much control over things like encounter rate and combat difficulty at any given time, but I really don't think that's good enough.

I played through Bravely Default on Hard from beginning to end and never felt like it was unfun. But Bravely Second's random encounters are really overtuned on Hard, and then they even further emphasized chaining battles together to get enough EXP/JP to keep on the level curve. Meanwhile, the bosses are actually pretty well-balanced on Hard, and way too easy on Normal. So the best play really is to just turn off encounters entirely, get to a save point, crank them up to max while turning the difficulty down to minimum, and grinding up to a level where the boss won't completely demolish you, then turning it back up to Hard to fight the boss. That's just really not fun for me, as much as I appreciate that the option is there.

And then you get Wizard to a high enough level and everything evaporates no matter what difficulty you're on.

Swing and a miss on that one, I think.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FF is a 30 year old series that is still interesting because every mainline game is something relatively new from the last. And as someone who is kind of bored with their current nostalgia wank (ff14, WoFF, record keeper, dissidia, theaterhytme) i hope it stays that way.

Vvvvvvvvvv yes, but not current. I dont have a problem with some nostalgia or references, it just seems like there has been a tad much lately

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 28, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF9 was nostalgia wank too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
its pronounced KEEN-WA

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

World of Final Fantasy is basically a game full of references to the series.

FF14 is also absolutely loaded to the brim with references, but it doesn't play anything like an old FF game. 14 almost took it too far and at first it just felt like a bunch of references and not its own game with its own identity, but ever since around Heavensward they managed to solidify that world and give it its own personality and flavor, even though it is still full of fan-wank.

FF9 was basically a celebration of previous titles in the series and was lauded by many people in this thread as the best in the series. I'm not saying "DON'T DO ANYTHING NEW EVER", I'm just saying it's been a long rear end time since we've gotten a traditional turn-based FF. That in and of itself would be a huge change of pace. Just do one every couple decades or so. 7 and 8 went for a more Sci-Fi theme, then 9 was a throwback, then 10 went back to... something else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Setsuna was what happened last time Square did a 'traditional turn based game' so I'm good for that for a while.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

FF14 is also absolutely loaded to the brim with references, but it doesn't play anything like an old FF game. 14 almost took it too far and at first it just felt like a bunch of references and not its own game with its own identity, but ever since around Heavensward they managed to solidify that world and give it its own personality and flavor, even though it is still full of fan-wank.

FF9 was basically a celebration of previous titles in the series and was lauded by many people in this thread as the best in the series. I'm not saying "DON'T DO ANYTHING NEW EVER", I'm just saying it's been a long rear end time since we've gotten a traditional turn-based FF. That in and of itself would be a huge change of pace. Just do one every couple decades or so. 7 and 8 went for a more Sci-Fi theme, then 9 was a throwback, then 10 went back to... something else.

why does everyone forget woff

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, I should clarify: I don't mean that I think the next mainline FF game should be a literal carbon copy of a PS1/PS2-era game. I think it would be cool if it took the gameplay style from those an updated it, put a new spin on it, and, yes, did something new with it. I want to see something that expands on the fast-paced, smooth ATB combat from FFX-2, maybe even with the in-battle job-switching. Don't just mindlessly recreate it for nostalgia (that's why Setsuna sucked), but take a look at what worked and what could be better and make something new.

I should also point out that if they did that, but in the form of a 3DS or Switch game spin-off or something, I'd be thrilled. Like a "Bravely Default, but drawing from a different generation of Final Fantasy" kind of thing. That'd be fantastic. That's all I really want.

Apparently, though, "it'd be cool if the next FF game had party-based combat where you control your whole party and maybe drew influence from older games instead of throwing it all away every time" is a heretical opinion that makes me an irrational nostalgia bot.

Also, I think slavish devotion to always totally reinventing yourself game after game has produced more duds recently than successes and newness is not a virtue in and of itself.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Harrow posted:

I want to see something that expands on the fast-paced, smooth ATB combat from FFX-2, maybe even with the in-battle job-switching.
You're describing FF13 my man.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

is my copy of world of final fantasy the only one in the world, is the game invisible

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
where's ffv-2

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
and don't say "bravely default" or i'll kill you

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

is my copy of world of final fantasy the only one in the world, is the game invisible

I sure hope not since I just ordered it and should get it next week, would really suck to get an empty case

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Countblanc posted:

and don't say "bravely default" or i'll kill you

Bravely Second

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Countblanc posted:

where's ffv-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy:_Legend_of_the_Crystals

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

where's ffv-2

It exists but it's an anime about shooting chocobos out of your rear end crystal.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

why does everyone forget woff

All I know about it is the cute clip of all the characters dancing + that you stack monsters on top of each other for some reason

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/791516156087504896

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

You're describing FF13 my man.

I don't get to control all three party members :colbert:

I should say I actually love FFXIII's combat system, but the game totally wastes it. You spend a huge part of the game with two party members at a time, and even once you get your full party, you still have a ways to go before you can fully engage with the system. And even then, most of the fights are so easy that you barely have to use all the cool things the battle system allows at all. The handful of bosses (including the last few postgame hunts) that actually ask you to be frequently switching paradigms and thinking about your paradigm setups are really, really fun to fight, but that's just it: there's only a handful, and that doesn't come until 30+ hours into the game. It's far too little, far too late.

And then FFXIII-2 came around and designed its fights so that you have to engage with the combat system even less, and then Lightning Returns did something totally different.

If they just made another game with FFXIII's combat system exactly and actually made good use of it, I'd be very happy.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

All I know about it is the cute clip of all the characters dancing + that you stack monsters on top of each other for some reason

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/791516156087504896

That art style is terrifying

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much do I have to care about catching monsters in WoFF? Monster-catching is always my least favorite part of any game that isn't Pokemon.

I think people mention it often when I ask for a more old-school FF game, but the fact that it's also a game about collecting monsters means that it's just kinda shooting wide of what I'm looking for. It's like if I wanted a new SMT game and someone kept saying "Persona 5's right there"--yeah, it is, but it's not what someone's looking for when they say they want SMT. (I say this as someone who loved Persona 5 more than it makes any sense to love it, for the record. That's just a hypothetical.)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

with that lovely aesthetic and the fact that its nothing but crossovers with a veneer of original thought, I really wish yours was the only copy

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

How much do I have to care about catching monsters in WoFF? Monster-catching is always my least favorite part of any game that isn't Pokemon.
A lot cause there all super cute monsters from a buncha ff games that you can evolve into different things.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
World of final fantasy has cool mechanics of stacking parties to make super teams with their own strengths and weaknesses. It's not particularly hard. I think of it as this generation's mystic quest. But fun.

My main critiques are that the main characters are too one dimensional. Lann is always the obtuse idiot, with Reynn dunking on him. Tama's verbal tic gets a little tiring too. Also, grinding takes a while if you're into that sort of thing and you can't take Lann and Reynn out of your party for a long time.

They do reference a lot of stuff, and when you capture dudes they have funny jokes written in the description. They make fun of poorly received parts of the series, too, specifically the laughing scene from FFX.

Edit: you really only need to level up 1 monster type of each monster. Catch the others to unlock their board, then just convert the one you're leveling up into the different monster types.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 28, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

A lot cause there all super cute monsters from a buncha ff games that you can evolve into different things.

I definitely might give it a try some time, but given the focus on monster catching and evolving, it's definitely not what I'd mean when I say I want to play a new take on classic FF gameplay.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sakurazuka posted:

Setsuna was what happened last time Square did a 'traditional turn based game' so I'm good for that for a while.

It would have been a better game if the scenario writer was better. Mechanically it was a nice throwback but the story was just blah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sakurazuka posted:

JRPG Factory is not Square Enix in the same way Pokemon Company is not Nintendo. They even have their own, separate logo on company brand listings.

And repeating what others said, no one remembers WoFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm sure there's plenty of fan games and obscure indie RPGs that pretty much lift the DQ/FF-style old-school gameplay mechanics and maybe do some creative spins on those formulas, it's just nobody really knows about them because those types of games aren't going to stand out in the indie landscape in favor of Earthbound-inspired games like Undertale and LISA.

e: I'm kinda interested in WoFF but it seems too cutesy for my taste and I'm kinda worried all the crossover stuff and references would make me cringe. Weird complaint but it's kinda moot anyway since it's probably unlikely to get a PC/Switch port.